books for learning shafi madhab

lovefordeen

i'll answer this tomorrow insha Allah, because its already 12 am here and i haven't even finish writing a concept for tomorrow's khutbah, and its my first time as well so i'm very nervous right now and can't think straight and i need lots of practice.

thanks for helping me..and sorry for taking so much of your time

lovefordeen

:salam2:

You are in middle eastern country and you are learning arabic. So your native language is not arabic, incase your family has no plans of settling in middle east, it would be best for your kid to learn to communicate in native language.

Mother is the first and best teacher :) and first language (mother tongue) is best language. Leave it to schools to teach arabic. Unless child is prodigy, you can start arabic at around age of 6-7 (usual practice). By then you might have also picked your arabic and assist your kid...

wa'alaikum assalaam

ofcourse,my child knows to communicate in her mother tongue masha'Allah..i think you got the picture wrong...she knows a little english too,understands and communicates masha'Allah..the same way,i would like to introduce arabic to her too in sha Allah...

i'm very ashamed to say that i have also learnt arabic for many years and still am no where...it was my fault,i didn't pay much attention to it..

you see,we have a problem that despite learning in madrassas for many years,many of us cannot understand the Qur'an in its own language...i find it as a handicap,regarding the effort we put to teach our children various subjects other than arabic...hope you understand now in sha Allah

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalaamu `alaykum

Apologies for the late reply

Sister I would like to ask- are you planning to just study fiqh to go by your `ibaadaat and stuff? Or are you planning to take a proper path in seeking knowledge.

The latter means you have to go through a structured manhaj (plan) like Setsuna mentioned about studying the Arabic language. The former requires you to take a easy fiqh book and study it and that should suffice.

Like for example if you take the hanbali madh-hab, then in terms of fiqh you generally have 4 books before you master the madh-hab. If you take the program of Ibn Qudaamah, then you have the 1) `Umdah al-Fiqh 2) Al-Muqni 3) Al-Kaafi and finally 4) Al-Mughni (this is where you will study all the different opinions from the different madhaahib). And before al-Mughni, they generally teach Rawdhah al-Naadhir, which is a book in `ilm usool al-Fiqh (this is so as to be able to understand the different opinions from the different madhaahib).

That is only in fiqh, then you have `Aqeedah and you have a couple of books till you have strong foundation in it. Likewise in Hadeeth etc.

So it really depends on what path you are looking to take.

Ershad

I once heard a talk, where the dangers of fatwa shopping was highlighted with very good examples. Since my memory and knowledge are limited, i do not recollect the specific examples.

Hope you are aware of the same.

So you always have a fallback madhab and you seem to be aware of the intricacies, and the insight of where to look into, why and where not to look into, why nots (logic that will survive logic tests), when you decide to take something. One could take your approach, once he has reached giant scholarly levels... Are my conclusions about your methodology correct??
Assalamu Alaikkum,

Dear brother, I am aware of fatwa shopping. I don't look for fatwas that match my opinion or desires. No, that is not what I do. I read books in each topic by Scholars. Really, it is not my choice of not following any madhab. I don't have any kind of resources who could teach me from a madhab. The masjid near my place doesn't speak the language i understand. I don't understand the khutbahs either. The way I learn is due to my compulsion and I learn a lot from scholarly books. I hardly have confusion. I agree that following a madhab is a great privilege and comfort indeed. But, since I don't have the opportunity, I have to depend of these reliable scholars. And so far, I never had any confusion. I am not really looking deep into research of fiqh or something. These books have taught me the proper aqeedah and the essential fiqh of prayer, purification, zakat, and other obligatory deeds.

I hope you understand.

lovefordeen

Assalaamu `alaykum

Apologies for the late reply

Sister I would like to ask- are you planning to just study fiqh to go by your `ibaadaat and stuff? Or are you planning to take a proper path in seeking knowledge.

The latter means you have to go through a structured manhaj (plan) like Setsuna mentioned about studying the Arabic language. The former requires you to take a easy fiqh book and study it and that should suffice.

Like for example if you take the hanbali madh-hab, then in terms of fiqh you generally have 4 books before you master the madh-hab. If you take the program of Ibn Qudaamah, then you have the 1) `Umdah al-Fiqh 2) Al-Muqni 3) Al-Kaafi and finally 4) Al-Mughni (this is where you will study all the different opinions from the different madhaahib). And before al-Mughni, they generally teach Rawdhah al-Naadhir, which is a book in `ilm usool al-Fiqh (this is so as to be able to understand the different opinions from the different madhaahib).

That is only in fiqh, then you have `Aqeedah and you have a couple of books till you have strong foundation in it. Likewise in Hadeeth etc.

So it really depends on what path you are looking to take.

wa'alaikum assalaam

no it's not for doing my ibaadat..i would like to study more in sha Allah...

jazakAllah khair for helping...i just didn't know what to study...

Rustandi

الفقير الى الله
can you please tell me ow to introduce arabic to my child as well...as it's not our mother tongue...in sha Allah,i would like her to understand it just as i understand english even though it's not my mother tongue ;so that she can understand the Qur'an in its own language unlike me and to study more literature in sha Allah

yes,it is the same site..

thanks for taking the time to help..

Don't say such things as "unlike me" you and your husband still have lots of time and opportunity to learn arabic enough to understand Al-Quran and study arabic books insha Allah..

Regarding teaching your daughter, i suggest you and your husband teach her yourself, how you ask? first you must have a mastery of the language itself, learn arabic together with your husband by self studying, if your familiar with durusu lughah, or more known as madina books amongs western muslims, i recommend to study that, i will provide the links to the books, and the complete dvds below:

Arabic Textbook:
Book 1 | Book 2 | Book 3

English Key:
Book 1 | Book 2 | Book 3

Arabic Solutions:
Book 1 | Book 2 | Book 3

Part 1 | Part 2 & 3

madina books the video lectures

http://www.lqtoronto.com/videodl.html

note: the dvds are separated into two parts, part A and part B and each part separated again into 2 or 3 videos, for example: Part A1, Part A2, Part A3.

if you want to learn effectively, study one part per day not one video, so in when you begin studying you watch part a1, part a2, and part a3.

i hope you understand my explanation.

Baarakallahu feekum.

strive-may-i

Critical following v/s blind following and saying v/s doing.

Assalamu Alaikkum,

Dear brother, I am aware of fatwa shopping. I don't look for fatwas that match my opinion or desires. No, that is not what I do. I read books in each topic by Scholars. Really, it is not my choice of not following any madhab. I don't have any kind of resources who could teach me from a madhab. The masjid near my place doesn't speak the language i understand. I don't understand the khutbahs either. The way I learn is due to my compulsion and I learn a lot from scholarly books. I hardly have confusion. I agree that following a madhab is a great privilege and comfort indeed. But, since I don't have the opportunity, I have to depend of these reliable scholars. And so far, I never had any confusion. I am not really looking deep into research of fiqh or something. These books have taught me the proper aqeedah and the essential fiqh of prayer, purification, zakat, and other obligatory deeds.

I hope you understand.
@Brother Ershad, I think I did, even before you replied, no am not a know it all, I agree. I have nothing against you. we are just discussing. I wont draw conclusions on you. Incase you think you are not a scholar worth following, then its better for the community that you suggest people not to follow your footsteps, thats where the trouble is, you give a response, and if they take your response as truth, you become the guide, you could get the blame!!!!

When someone says they are picking from the hadees, he/she should have the scholarly abilities, and then there are rules that scholar has to always stick to. Because this is a theoretical exercise to arrive at practices to achieve practical ends [ie your Akhira]. There is not much need for redoing this exercise again every 100 years, given that we have enough documented already! Revivalism is different matter, and its not for every one of us. And brother Thareeq has given first rule, Arabic. From what I understand, mere knowing arabic wont suffice, you should achieve mastery in archaic form of it [Language mastery in general is not for all!].
The world approved scholars are going to give you more compelling rules... things start getting interesting, if one has aptitude for it. For a common man that can become frustrating, frustration can make a common man clueless, and clueless means end of path... Start of whims/fancies.....

There is difference in saying something and perfectly following on what one said. "i follow the first two generation after prophet [usually referred to as salaf]" is a statement, and we see enough people who have just started seeking knowledge, yet say it aloud. [@Aapa, these are the salafi fanboys in my book. one should be aware of them]

This is where the danger is. There is a difference in an approved scholar of Imaan [trained , learnt, practicing and the Islamic world has seen him to be pious] saying "I follow the salaf, the hadees and arrive at my own conclusion" and a student saying it. I dont consider someone a good doctor, unless he is worldclass, Nor do I consider a doctor who is into teacher profession as a practising doctor. I need a practising approved time tested doctor...
Apply the same to the scholars. Thats exactly where the madhab founders stand, they were exemplary, more than worldclass, and they were followers of first two generations [yes there were salaf followers, ]... Yes they are not spotless, but they suffice for most situations. Can we emphatically conclude that present generation scholars are better than the scholars whom we now call the madhab founders? They may be equivalents, but we cannot speak ill about the scholars (Madhab founders or revivors), its definitely not in our purpose here in this forum to arrive at such conclusion, Allah is the Judge.

And The first two generation after the prophet (Salaf ) are indeed worthy of following. Some eminent scholars did come up time and again, who had the best grip on the jurispendence matters, they are the best authors for us to pick up. But blindly following someone in present who simply say I follow first two generation, can cause trouble. And those trouble is manifesting, into ugly, not so healthy results...

@lovefordeen:: The school of thoughts, have clarity on what one can do for deceased parents, elders. [Kabar Ziyarah is not grave worshipping if some one stands erect next to a compliant grave, and prays for the deceased. The exact words uttered matter ]. Its wrong understanding arising from mixing what has been written/documented in books, with what one is seeing, in my opinion. Because most people learn not just from what they read, but learn more from what they see... And usually the oral traditions can end up with misunderstandings, wrong practices, if not done correctly... Hopefully you will figure it out, once you go thro the books you are seeking, its delicate, confusing and often exhausting for every common man to trace all hadees on his own. (And am not going to further speak in this thread on this matter). Here is a TTI Link, that best summarized everything I want to say.
1. http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69547&highlight=SAlafism
2. Guidelines for following Madhhabs
May Allah make us all aware of the delicate nature of these matters... Ameen

BrotherThareeq, that closing of thread was premature, in my opinion [Its a generic title salafism. Stereotyping is what that title is all about... But well.].

strive-may-i

wa'alaikum assalaam

ofcourse,my child knows to communicate in her mother tongue masha'Allah..i think you got the picture wrong...she knows a little english too,understands and communicates masha'Allah..the same way,i would like to introduce arabic to her too in sha Allah...

i'm very ashamed to say that i have also learnt arabic for many years and still am no where...it was my fault,i didn't pay much attention to it..

you see,we have a problem that despite learning in madrassas for many years,many of us cannot understand the Qur'an in its own language...i find it as a handicap,regarding the effort we put to teach our children various subjects other than arabic...hope you understand now in sha Allah
I thought I understand you! Let me elaborate....
Its in a parents nature to wish for their kid, what they lack or fall short of. Age 4 may be a bit too early and overloading your kid, unless your kid is Prodigy. Go easy is all I wanted to convey. Your kid has deen, good manners, new things about the world to learn, school, arabic, english, maths ???? When will she play! Yes I agree, you know what works best for her, you are in best position for her, hence best judge, not me :)

Let me tell you a incident I came to know.
Two colleagues talk. One is English(E), another arabic(A) speaking. The A feels proud because A can understand arabic and hence Quran, A points it out to (E), (E) humble enough agrees. They continue the talk, and then (E) gives an insightful explanation for one of the small Surah. Though E does not understand Arabic. So these matters are more complicated. Its a matter of theory and practice. Both go hand in hand...

Yes go on make best use of your Time, and Enlighten yourself and your family . May Almighty give us the strength to be steadfast in our Imaan... Ameen

Ershad

@Brother Ershad, I think I did, even before you replied, no am not a know it all, I agree. I have nothing against you. we are just discussing. I wont draw conclusions on you. Incase you think you are not a scholar worth following, then its better for the community that you suggest people not to follow your footsteps, thats where the trouble is, you give a response, and if they take your response as truth, you become the guide, you could get the blame!!!!

When someone says they are picking from the hadees, he/she should have the scholarly abilities, and then there are rules that scholar has to always stick to. Because this is a theoretical exercise to arrive at practices to achieve practical ends [ie your Akhira]. There is not much need for redoing this exercise again every 100 years, given that we have enough documented already! Revivalism is different matter, and its not for every one of us. And brother Thareeq has given first rule, Arabic. From what I understand, mere knowing arabic wont suffice, you should achieve mastery in archaic form of it [Language mastery in general is not for all!].
The world approved scholars are going to give you more compelling rules... things start getting interesting, if one has aptitude for it. For a common man that can become frustrating, frustration can make a common man clueless, and clueless means end of path... Start of whims/fancies.....

There is difference in saying something and perfectly following on what one said. "i follow the first two generation after prophet [usually referred to as salaf]" is a statement, and we see enough people who have just started seeking knowledge, yet say it aloud. [@Aapa, these are the salafi fanboys in my book. one should be aware of them]

This is where the danger is. There is a difference in an approved scholar of Imaan [trained , learnt, practicing and the Islamic world has seen him to be pious] saying "I follow the salaf, the hadees and arrive at my own conclusion" and a student saying it. I dont consider someone a good doctor, unless he is worldclass, Nor do I consider a doctor who is into teacher profession as a practising doctor. I need a practising approved time tested doctor...
Apply the same to the scholars. Thats exactly where the madhab founders stand, they were exemplary, more than worldclass, and they were followers of first two generations [yes there were salaf followers, ]... Yes they are not spotless, but they suffice for most situations. Can we emphatically conclude that present generation scholars are better than the scholars whom we now call the madhab founders? They may be equivalents, but we cannot speak ill about the scholars (Madhab founders or revivors), its definitely not in our purpose here in this forum to arrive at such conclusion, Allah is the Judge.

And The first two generation after the prophet (Salaf ) are indeed worthy of following. Some eminent scholars did come up time and again, who had the best grip on the jurispendence matters, they are the best authors for us to pick up. But blindly following someone in present who simply say I follow first two generation, can cause trouble. And those trouble is manifesting, into ugly, not so healthy results...

@lovefordeen:: The school of thoughts, have clarity on what one can do for deceased parents, elders. [Kabar Ziyarah is not grave worshipping if some one stands erect next to a compliant grave, and prays for the deceased. The exact words uttered matter ]. Its wrong understanding arising from mixing what has been written/documented in books, with what one is seeing, in my opinion. Because most people learn not just from what they read, but learn more from what they see... And usually the oral traditions can end up with misunderstandings, wrong practices, if not done correctly... Hopefully you will figure it out, once you go thro the books you are seeking, its delicate, confusing and often exhausting for every common man to trace all hadees on his own. (And am not going to further speak in this thread on this matter). Here is a TTI Link, that best summarized everything I want to say. http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69547&highlight=SAlafism
May Allah make us all aware of the delicate nature of these matters... Ameen

BrotherThareeq, that closing of thread was premature, in my opinion [Its a generic title salafism. Stereotyping is what that title is all about... But well.].

:wasalam:

Brother, really I am not asking anybody to follow me. I am not even close to the dust of feet of any scholar. I myself make many silly mistakes. In past, there have been people who have corrected me and I am ready to accept people who correct me. The thing I am trying to convey to the sister was, don't make getting knowledge so difficult for yourself. She is trying to follow a madhab ( which is good) - I am not at all against it. But, she isn't getting resources for the specific madhab she wants to follow. So, I told her what I do. Read the resources that are reliable. And Believe me brother, If you haven't read Ibn Al-Qayyim, Ibn Taymiyyah, Shaykh Ibn Baaz, Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem, Shaykh Al-Fowzaan, please do read. These are whom you call approved scholar of Imaan [trained , learnt, practicing and the Islamic world has seen him to be pious]. These people are masters of Arabic language. If you read their books, they give the hadith, all evidences and then their ruling. There is no where my intelligence, or my opinion involved. I should say I am doing blind following. I don't consider blindly following these scholars a problem like you said. I have rather found it comfortable in getting knowledge from them. May Allah preserve the current scholars. These scholars follow the salaffiyyah. Please note, I am not against following the madhab. But, the works of these scholars are translated and easily available for everyone to read in the forms of hardcopy and ebooks. Meanwhile, the classical texts of madhabs as far as I have searched is available only in arabic. I am trying to learn arabic. But, for time being, I am using the english translation of works of these scholars. The commentary of these scholars is more comprehensive and easy for me. I have nothing against the Madhab founders. In fact, I would love to read and understand their works.

lovefordeen

Don't say such things as "unlike me" you and your husband still have lots of time and opportunity to learn arabic enough to understand Al-Quran and study arabic books insha Allah..

Regarding teaching your daughter, i suggest you and your husband teach her yourself, how you ask? first you must have a mastery of the language itself, learn arabic together with your husband by self studying, if your familiar with durusu lughah, or more known as madina books amongs western muslims, i recommend to study that, i will provide the links to the books, and the complete dvds below:

Arabic Textbook:
Book 1 | Book 2 | Book 3

English Key:
Book 1 | Book 2 | Book 3

Arabic Solutions:
Book 1 | Book 2 | Book 3

Part 1 | Part 2 & 3

madina books the video lectures

http://www.lqtoronto.com/videodl.html

note: the dvds are separated into two parts, part A and part B and each part separated again into 2 or 3 videos, for example: Part A1, Part A2, Part A3.

if you want to learn effectively, study one part per day not one video, so in when you begin studying you watch part a1, part a2, and part a3.

i hope you understand my explanation.

Baarakallahu feekum.

thanks a lot..may Allah reward you for helping......

in sha Allah,i too have to learn arabic well... though i have had formal training in arabic,i'm very weak in it..

jazakAllah khair

lovefordeen

to strive-may-i,

thanks for helping..may Allah reward you..

i'm keen to teach my child,but i don't teach her english as you think...she learns through communication...but in sha Allah,she has to learn the alphabets etc..
alhamdulilah,she has a lot of time for playing,i was just thinking of teaching her from now on in sha Allah...she doesn't know much math either ....i'm not so much of a teacher,and i don't teach much...

as for that thread being closed,i had requested br thariq for closing the thread as my doubts had been cleared...and i didn't want arguments in that thread after the doubts(not only mine but some others as well) had been already cleared well...

yes,i know that praying for the deceased ones near their graves is not a sin..

i was not talking about that..i should have been more specific...i was talking about the ziyarat of important peoples' graves..some people go there and do strange things....that's what i meant...please correct me if i'm wrong...

lovefordeen

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Following a madhab is usually for our own ease to start seeking the knowledge. Some people prefer hanbali madhab over Shafi may be due to several reasons like availability of scholars nearby or they follow the majority of the people's madhab in their region and so forth. Personally, I don't follow any madhab. But, it is true that most scholars I follow and learn from are from the Hanbali madhab. So, it is like I am open. Whichever scholar gives me evidence, I take from them. For example, I take from Ibn Al-Qayyim, Ibn Taymiyyah, Shaykh Ibn Baaz, Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem, Shaykh Al-Fowzaan - All of them Hanbalees. I, also, take from Ibn Hajr who is said to be a Shafi'ee. I, also, take from Al-Laknawee, who was a Hanafee. If you see, most of the scholars I follow are hanbalis. So, you could say, I incline towards hanbali. However, I didn't really study all the classic hanbali books. I read these scholars.

It will be nice to read this article which speaks about madhabs to get a clear idea - http://www.bakkah.net/en/following-math-habs-ascribing-salafiyyah.htm .

wa'alaikum assalaam wa rahmathulahi wa barakathuhu

jazakAllah khair for helping....i read that...

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I am unclear about what a Salafi fanboy is.

I think it is important to state so simply that the madhabs are still followers of the Salaf.

It is not two separate entities. The four great scholars did not differ much in methodology. They could not.

lovefordeen

Assalaam walaikum,

I am unclear about what a Salafi fanboy is.

I think it is important to state so simply that the madhabs are still followers of the Salaf.

It is not two separate entities. The four great scholars did not differ much in methodology. They could not.

wa'alaikum assalaam

i don't think anybody said 'salafi fanboy' in this thread...

yes,the madhabs teach following the salaf...

yingxuy

Some people like hanbali madhab than Shafi may be due to several reasons, such as the availability of scholars or near a majority of the people they follow in their area madhab, and so on. I personally do not follow any madhab.