Cafe fan banned as bacon smell offends Muslims!? Yeah right you shameless liars.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
PCC clears Mail (and Telegraph) for publishing prejudicial anti-Muslim story

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2010/nov/19/dailymail-islam

Posted by
Roy Greenslade Friday 19 November 2010 08.47 GMT
guardian.co.uk

A month ago the Daily Mail ran a story that began:

"A hard-working cafe owner has been ordered to tear down an extractor fan - because the smell of her frying bacon 'offends' Muslims."

The same tale appeared in the Daily Telegraph, Cafe fan banned in case smell of bacon offends Muslimsand in the Metro, Beverley's Snack Shack 'offending Muslims with bacon smell'.

The stories, at first glance, struck me as being highly unlikely. Reading through the Mail and Telegraph versions, however, proved instructive, showing that the headlines and intros were wholly misleading.

There had been a complaint about the smells emerging from Beverley Akciecek's Stockport cafe from a non-Muslim neighbour, Graham Webb-Lee, who claimed that his Muslim friends were refusing to visit him because, according to him, they couldn't stand the smell of bacon.

There was not a shred of proof that Webb-Lee's allegation had any basis in fact (because, as we shall see, no reporter checked with him). None of the stories quoted a Muslim person.

Indeed, the only individual of Muslim faith mentioned in the stories was Mrs Akciecek's Turkish-born husband, who happens to cook the bacon.

It also became clear that Mrs A had been required to remove the fan by the council because she had never obtained planning permission for it.

There was a good analysis of the inadequacies of the Mail article by Tabloid Watch soon after publication.

Three people were moved to complain about the piece to the Press Complaints Commission, but Tabloid watch reports today that the complaints were rejected.

The PCC decided that "readers would not be misled as to the circumstances surrounding the refusal for planning permission."

Really? How wrong can the commission be? Did it not read the 544 comments appended to the Mail's online version of the story? Plenty of them appear to me to have been wholly misled.

Here's a random sample of the overwhelming majority of comments:

"Oh get me out of this country! England has lost the plot!"... "Another smack in the face for us Brits"... "Well how about, you go back to your own country and we can eat our food in peace"...

"Absolutely ludicrous! If Muslims are affected let them 'pass by on the other side of the street!' I'm fed up of hearing about the possibility of offending Muslims in this God forsaken country!"...

"If the Muslims don't like our way of life they know where the airport is. Sick of listening to whinging religious fruitcakes."

"Every day... every damn day, we hear that we mustn't have bacon or pork, we mustn't have Christmas trees, we mustn't have Easter in case we upset Muslims. How thoroughly disgusting and makes the heavily taxed, downtrodden, and neglected indigenous people of the UK even more of a minority in our own country. We used to be a great country, now it sucks!"...

"Another example of crazy Briton, bending over backwards to accommodate other cultures that don't like or accept British culture but are very happy to live in the country."...

"Unreal - could you make this nonsense up? How long before the mere sight of pork, bacon etc offends the fragile Muslims? What next? Blacked out windows in butcher shops? Pork stored 'under the counter' in supermarkets? The UK needs to get a grip and start defending OUR rights before it is too late."​

This is but a fraction of the comments by people who had certainly been misled enough to believe that Muslims had complained.

I am pleased to say that a minority of commenters were not misled. For example, one wrote: "So, if the smell of the bacon is so nauseating to the Muslim friends of Mr Graham Webb-Lee, why haven't they complained?"

Another wrote: "This article is insulting (even to DM readers). The fact the women's husband is a Muslim proves that most are not offended by bacon at all. As for the non-Muslim who complained sorry but I think he has a point. I love bacon but if the fan is 12 inches from his door he has every reason to be upset...please DM stop demonising Muslims."

As for the Telegraph, I noted that its story was tweeted 100 times, all of which were also playing to an anti-Muslim gallery.

The articles were clearly prejudicial because the headlines and intros were misleading. The end result was to feed anti-Muslim bigotry.

To build a story based on one man's unsupported statement when it involves the delicate matter of religious intolerance shows a reckless disregard for the pubic interest and social cohesion.

In the PCC's opinion, "the body of the articles" in the Mail and Telegraph made the situation "clear."

Come off it! The papers did not run this story because it involved the removal of an extractor fan. They ran it because it fitted their own anti-Muslim agendas.

The PCC argued that "while it considered that the newspaper [the Mail] could have included further details about the complaint, it did not, on balance, consider that the absence of such details were misleading in such a way as to warrant correction under the terms of the code."

It therefore absolved the paper of being inaccurate and of breaching the clause about discrimination, which states that papers "must avoid making prejudicial or pejorative reference to an individual's religion."

The problem is that the clause "does not cover generalised remarks about groups of people."

It means, sadly, that papers can discriminate against Muslim people in general.

That's why past cases of prejudicial reporting about "asylum-seekers", "East Europeans" and "Somalis" have fallen by the wayside.

Let me finish with a comment on the Mail website from someone who knows all about the matter:

"I am the neighbour who complained! Well done DM for asking for my comments on the matter, but if you had there would be No Story To Print! This vent is affecting my children's health and that is why the council denied planning!

"Yes, I have some Muslim friends who it offended, but nothing was said about my English friends who avoid my house within opening hours of the shop!

"Shame on you Daily Mail. You have stirred up lots of racial tension in my area now, so for you its 'mission accomplished.'"

SARAH & GRAHAM WEBB-LEE, Stockport

justoneofmillion

:salam2:What a Hopeless Attempt!They would have tried it all.The ironic part of it is that the number of reverts has been increasing in the last decade ,since this whole propaganda lobby machine released it s snakes.I wonder if we should sarcastically praise them for giving us free publicity i mean it has gotten so ridiculous..but on the other hand i feel sorry for the brainwashed minds,but i believe there is another way for them than to behave like victims and deserve compassion.

Here is what i found regarding the editor of the daily mail.His level of accuracy when defining britishness Is majestic or lets say Royal!.:rolleyes:

Yet Paul Dacre's newspapers have now raised the bar signficantly with today's new Britishness test, in which you are less British if you:
* were born to parents who were born abroad;
* marry somebody from abroad;
* work abroad
* work with anybody from abroad;

Never mind being born abroad yourself. It may be some small sign of progress that I can not imagine the Mail explicitly applying this British "by blood" theory to individual black, Asian or mixed race politicians, like Sayeeda Warsi, Shaun Bailey or Sadiq Khan, to challenge their citizenship or patriotism - though they would all fail it. The fact remains that, among over 4 million non-white British citizens, barely a single one of us could hope to pass the Britishness test which the Mail applies to Mr Clegg, though we are far from alone in that.

There is Nothing British about that BNP argument, as a conservative-led 'Nothing British' campaign has communicated punchily, as one of many campaigns challenging the BNP's values.

The suspiciously multilingual Mr Clegg isn't the first person of suspicion to somehow sneak under the radar and pass for Britishness. Take this motley crew, somehow voted top ten 'greatest Britons' by the great British public in the BBC's series and poll a decade ago.

Next Left has put these so-called "greatest Britons" through the Mail's Britishness test so we could find out if any of them should really count as British in Dacreland.

1. Winston Churchill, (1874–1965), Prime Minister (1940–1945, 1951–1955)

Not British: mother was American.

2. Isambard Kingdom Brunel, (1806–1859), engineer, creator of Great Western Railway and other significant works

Not British: his father was a Frenchman by birth.

3. Diana, Princess of Wales (1961–1997), first wife of Charles, Prince of Wales (1981–1996), and mother of Princes William and Harry of Wales

Not British: married husband who was second generation immigrant of highly mongrel Greek-German stock. Got divorced. So plenty of grounds for disqualification, without relying on final liasion with the Egyptian millionaire Dodi Fayed.

4. Charles Darwin (1809–1882), naturalist, originator of the theory of evolution through natural selection and author of On the Origin of Species.

British (provisional): Passes the ancestry test, though family had unorthodox Unitarian religious beliefs. Extensive travels abroad on five year voyage, and use of his theory to challenge religious orthodoxies may call patriotism into question.

5. William Shakespeare (1564–1616), English poet and playwright, thought of by many as the greatest of all writers.

Not British (Rejected, pending appeal).

We have few biographical details of the English playwright's life. Highly disreputable choice of career. Evidence of continental travel and "lost years" in Rome, and hypothesis that he could have been secret Catholic, mean application for proper Britishness rejected, or at least held pending awaiting further evidence.

6. Sir Isaac Newton (1643–1727), physicist, mathematician, astronomer, natural philosopher, and alchemist.

British (provisional), pending appeal. It appears the great English scientist would pass the Dacre Britishness test on ancestry or marriage. Mother's remarriage when very young may have held him back. But not an unblemished patriotism, as close engagement with continental scientists and philosophers, and heretical religious views may offer stronger grounds for disqualification on appeal as Nick Clegg's employment of a German-born press spokeswoman.

7. Queen Elizabeth I of England (1533–1603), monarch (reigned 1558–1603)

Not British: Famously did not marry. However, seriously entertaining the claims of foreigners, such as the Duke of Anjou, sent wrong message as role model. Dacre editorials could have praised and cultivated cult of virginity, though failure to marry and insistence on putting career first could be seen as disappointing.

Studied Latin, French, Greek and Italian. Her mother was schooled in the Netherlands, while her father married two foreigners.

8. John Lennon (1940–1980), musician with The Beatles, philanthropist, peace activist, artist

Not British: Married a Japanese-American woman. Also failed to cut his hair properly and travelled extensively abroad. Expressed unsound views on war and peace. As 'sixties icon, can be held responsible for broken Britain more generally.

9. Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson (1758–1805), naval commander

Not British or questionable at least: Married wife who was born in the Caribbean, in Nevis, though to a wealthy plantation famiily. And became estranged from his wife. Also briefly attempted to learn French. Daily Mail has been among those to debunk apocraphyl claims that his final words were "Kiss me Hardy".

10. Oliver Cromwell (1599–1658), Lord Protector.

Not British, surely. Overthrew the Monarchy, though kindly put it back afterwards. No obvious ancestry bar though wife's maiden name, Bourchier, may repay scrutiny. Mail could surely have directed fire at her, using one line of attack or another.

Popular royalists, unlike their republican opponents, did not object to the very presence of a court culture. However, Elizabeth, who was known on the street by such endearing nicknames as "Old Joan, Old Bess, Old Bedlam, Old Witch, Old Hagg, [and] the Commonwealth's Night Mare" was simply too plebeian to be the official icon of the court ... For republicans, she was too royal, for royalists, too republican ... Either she overfed a commonwealth meant to be slimly republican, or she starved what was supposed to have been a jolly fat monarchy fit for a king. In both cases, she was a rotten cook whose unappetizing fare was said to have sickened the body politic.

With so many of the usual suspects out of the running, here is our challenge. Can we please hear who is on the top ten list of Mr Dacre's Greatest British thoroughbreds (no funny foreign blood allowed) and we'll put up our Best of British Mongrels team to take them on.

That way, we might finally sort out the argument about exactly what it is that has made this country grea

Source: http://www.nextleft.org/2010/04/so-does-anybody-count-as-truly-british.html

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Assalam alaikum.

There was another incident a few years ago where all hospitals in the UK were trying to ban all people for eating during Ramadan incase it offends Muslim staff...the proposal was being pushed forward by... that's right, a group of non-Muslims. I wonder if they really were that naive or if it was a careful and calculated attempt to create a backlash against Muslims. This case sounds almost the same.

Perseveranze

Aweful... Yesterday I read a newspaper, saying how Musilm Kids are being taught to hate Jews, I open up a paper today, says a person who "pretended to be a Musilm Suicide Bomber" got put in jail for a drug bust.

And this is all the UK/West know of Muslims, nothing else.

Testing times for the Ummah..

haakym

love
Asalaamu 'alaykum,

Wow that's shocking, may Allah guide the people who wrote that nonsense. It's really pathetic how people will twist the truth by following their desires. May Allah protect us from that!

Thanks for sharing the Al-Kashmiri