CAN THE QURAN BE GIVEN TO A NON MUSLIM?

helpinghumanity

:salam2:

Few weeks ago when i was preparing for my speech about "Ramadan" i took the initiative to take THE HOLY QURAN to my class for visual aid purposes. During those days one of my net-friend advised me not to allow my peers, who are mostly non Muslims, touch Quran. The reason give was that "in order from them to touch the Quran they should have wuddoo".

Yesterday i was browsing for something completely different and i found a video by Dr Zakir Naik commenting on this issue. As i know that some of you are also students and will face a situation like this so i decided to post this video here. I hope some of the misconceptions will be clarified ..

i didn't got the question asked by that person. However when zakir naik answered it i got wht he asked. Please do see the end of the video..its cool

[yt]NkWDqHNjc7c[/yt]

AleahKoto

Allah will decide
Alhumdulilah!

Finally someone speaks out on this misconception! I have been asking Muslims here for months, how can you do dawah, without giving a Quran for the kafir to read? It may touch their hearts and change them....

So many misconceptions stand in the way of the Islamic Ummah rising and standing tall. In sha allah, hopefully, they will understand that a Quran is the best gift they can give anyone.

Besides....the verse reads "no one can touch it except the pure" does making wudu make you pure? NO, it makes you clean to come before Allah to ask for forgiveness. It sets your hearts and minds in the right place.Alhumdulilah!

abuayesha

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Islaam

It is time for all of us to act. We should think of giving a copy of Al-Qur'an at least once in a month to a non-Muslim friend of ours as a gift. If it is not possible at least once on three months or once in an year.

May Allaah forgive all of us for our past sins and protect us doing same in the future.

Wassalaam

Fran

Hey, i do agree in a sense, but this is the almighty's teachings, and must be handled with care. Just make sure to tell them to be clean, as in washing hands and such and not to speak profanities over it. Let them know, we do not want the angels cursing them for mishandling the Qur'an.

AleahKoto

Allah will decide
Probably start a War here....but.....

If we followed what you are saying, then you close Islam to all people who don't know the rules immediately. Islam is step by step. Each part coming at the right time. There will be people who read it out of curiosity, or some who read it because they want to know and are searching. Surely you can't deny them the right to know Allah (swt)?

Those who defile it will be handled by Allah, not us.
New Muslims have to learn how to pray, do wudu correctly, dress appropriately,etc. it is new and foreign. It is a whole life change and that doesn't happen overnight.

Also, since the Ouran wasn't originally in the written book form, who made this choice? The words of the book should be handled with care, yes, but what happens to the old Qurans that fall apart? Do you bury them? Burn them? Recycle them? The book does not last forever, but Allah's (swt) words do. The book is material, the words are spiritual. Will you bar someone from the spiritual? If you do, you have to answer to Allah as to why you did that. I am not advocating the misuse of the Quran in book form, I am advocating that you need to get the book into as many hands as possible so that they can see the spiritual. CD and DVD are fine, but a lot of people like to curl up and read to get the whole understanding. It is not the same on a cd as it is in the book, when you have the actual book in your hands.

Anytime any one asks me what Muslims believe, I give them a verbal cursory outline, and then give them a Quran. Once I give the Quran, they have the choice to read further. I often wonder at the day of judgment, if Allah (swt) will say to them, "You were given a Quran, why didn't you read it?" or "You were given a Quran, you read it and believed." IN sha allah, our business should be teaching all, and getting the word out. Not some "specialty cloistered group" that no one can know about.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise

This is an old misconception and has nothing to do with reality. When Prophet Mohammad :saw: was reciting Allah's aayaats to the kuffar of Makkah etc, was he asking them that they go and do wuddu first? He was telling them words which were directly revealed to him from God Almighty himself. Yet he was not shy in reciting them infront of anybody.

I have heard things like that we can only hand out trantations of Quran but should not hand out Arabic Quran. Well... this is such an illogical thing to say, as Dr. Zakir Naik asks this question in a video: What kind of Quran will you give to an Arab Christian or Jew who only knows Arabic?

As far as concerns of desecration is concerned, if someone wants to desecrate Quran intentionally then, how can you stop that person? That person can buy Quran from any bookstore or online. So I don't think anyone can stop that person except Allah.

And as sister AleahKoto said:
Those who defile it will be handled by Allah, not us.

Here in Michigan when we go on a dawah trip we handover copies of Quran to whoever ask for. We normally handover English translation of Quran but if someone asks we do provide Arabic with English translation Quran too.

:wasalam:

GAZIJA

Staff member
You can givie Kur'an to the non-muslims only if it is translation into their language. But Kur'an or Kitab or Mushaf without translation is not allowed to be touched only by muslims.

ShyHijabi

You can givie Kur'an to the non-muslims only if it is translation into their language. But Kur'an or Kitab or Mushaf without translation is not allowed to be touched only by muslims.

Salam brother,

This is simply incorrect as stated by the scholar in the video. If a person is Arab and Christian, what then? The Quran was not handed down in the written form and as the previous poster stated, it was recited to anyone willing to listen, whether they were in wudu or not. The scholar clearly states that non-Muslims are permitted to touch the Quran, no matter what language it is written in.

Abdul Mu'sair
To state you demand someone must be in wudu before reading the Quran simply is not correct. If that were correct then the Quran could not sold to the public at large. In the end our job is to provide any seeking soul the means to the Light. Allah swt is merciful and makes excuses to forgive His servant. But if someone is repulsed from Islam by Muslims making demands to wash before touching the Quran than surely we will be judged for such actions.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Munawar

Striving for Paradise

What kind of Quran will you give to an Arab Christian or Jew who only knows Arabic?

How can you stop all Arabic Quran from being touched by a non-Muslim if he buys the Quran and start touching and reading it?

I think this is a wrong debate.

mahdi

salam

Bro/Sis, do you have anything that proves your point. i think DR. Naik was clear when he qouted the Ayat. you are saying, they can touch the quran if there is a translation, but the words of Allah are still there, so it doesn't make any difference weather you have a translation or not.

AleahKoto

Allah will decide
Informed Decision

How can you hide the truth?

How can you say the Quran is only for the Muslims who now practice their faith?

Part of someone making an INFORMED DECISION is to see what they believe in FIRST. What those who don't want a person to read the Quran are saying, "Is Join us on What I SAY not what is SAID" then you can read it after doing all that is necessary. How absurd and illogical!

This is the same premise the Jews had, no one can know what they believe, and Esa came to tell them differently, and to clear up all the rules and ritual.

Only if you have the Quran in your heart, can you do the ritual wudu, the ritual prayer WITH MEANING. Only with the Quran in your heart can you understand hijab, piety and modesty. You have to be able to read it to make meaning of it-to gain knowledge.

Get the Quran in the hearts and minds of all FIRST. Then the other will come by knowledge and learning. Step by step you become a Muslim, always learning, no matter how long you have been a Muslim. Step by step always refining your worship.

To do wudu without being a Muslim? LOL What would that mean? NOTHING.

Think brothers and sisters. The reason the people see Islam as foreign and secretive, is that you want to keep it that way. Only for the select few to join and understand. This is what the private and secret cults do. Do Muslims want to be private and secretive about Muhammed (pbuh) and Allah (swt)?

Islam is for all. Should they read the Quran, and not want to understand, that is on them. But you should be proud of it, and give it out to any that want to read it. In sha allah, this is going back to tribal and cultural mixing true Islam with Ideas. Ideas that are tribal and cultrual are innovations by the way are they not? Muhammed as well as Jesus (pbut) spoke against all of this.

As for only allowing a Muslim to be a true Muslim that speaks Arabic? Sad. Very sad, I know a lot of Muslims that can't speak Arabic, but their heart is right. You can speak all the Arabic you want, do all the ritual wudu you want, bow and prostrate, and if your heart and mind is not right, it avails you nothing. Muhammed said PIETY. Piety does not mean arrogance to who you are. It means humility and a humble person is not puffed up full of themselves. You would deny Allah to a kafir?? Tsk tsk...I would hate to be in your shoes when Allah questions you.

GAZIJA

Staff member
Hmm, I said it without any proof and I am apologizing, and I should have gone into details. Here is my proof;

Question : is it permissable for a non muslim to read the Quran without the thourough cleansing of self beforehand like a Muslim would?

Praise be to Allaah

The Holy Qur’aan should not be touched by anyone except those who are purified. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning) >“Verily, the Mushrikoon (polytheists, pagans, idolaters, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allaah, and in the Message of Muhammad) are Najasun (impure)” [al-Tawbah 9:28)

On this basis, the kaafir should not be permitted to touch the Qur’aan, whether he is a Christian, a Jew, a Buddhist, a Hindu or anything else. But it is permissible for him to listen to the Qur’aan on radio or TV, or from tapes, and it is permissible for him to read the translations of the meanings of the Qur’aan which are available in different languages.

Shaykh Ibn Jibreen (www.islam-qa.com)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it permissible to give for Da'wah to the non-Muslims a translation of the meanings of the Qur'aan which accompanies the original Arabic text as well?

Praise be to Allaah.

We put this question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen: what is the ruling on giving a kaafir a copy of the Qur’aan containing the text in Arabic and a translation and commentary amounting to half of the content?

He replied, may Allaah preserve him:

“What is known among the scholars is that it is not permissible to give a kaafir power over the Qur’aan (i.e., put it at his disposal), but if a kaafir is sincere in his desire to know more about the Qur’aan, a person can invite him to come to a library – either a public library or his own home library, where he can show him the Qur’aan.”

If you find a translation of the meanings of the Qur’aan without the Arabic text then there is nothing wrong with giving that to a kaafir. And Allaah knows best.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen
------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I was saying;

I am trying to convert some Christians and "Free thinkers" into Islam and they seem to be interested in knowing what is in the Qur'an. They have both read the Bible and they believe it is Holy, but with contradictions. I, however told them that the Qur'an unlike the Bible has no contradictions in it and that it contains all the information about this World and the hearafter that they need to know. They are however yet to believe.As a method of proving this, I was going to buy them each a copy of the Holy Qur'an translated by Muhammad Asad. They have promised to read it and tell me what they think. Do you think this is a good idea?

Praise be to Allaah.

A translation of the meanings of the Qur’aan is not considered to be Qur’aan, and it does not have the same status in all aspects. Rather it is like a tafseer (commentary, exegesis) of the Qur’aan in Arabic, which explains the meanings and assists in understanding. On this basis, it is permissible to give the kuffaar a translation of the meanings of the Qur’aan, without the Arabic text, and it is permissible for them to touch a tafseer in Arabic.

(Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 4/133)

On this basis, it is permissible for you to give them this translation. May Allaah help us and you to call people to His way in a good manner. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Is this enough proofs or?

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Brother this is just one sheikh's opinion. Another sheikh will differ from it.
Dr. Zakir Naik is a very learned scholor of Islam.

Do your sheikh has an opinion about reading or touching by non-Muslims the Arabic Quranic verses on a computer screen?

And what about my these original questions:

1. What kind of Quran will you give to an Arab Christian or Jew who only knows Arabic?

2. How can you stop all Arabic Quran from being touched by a non-Muslim if he buys the Quran and start touching and reading it? What can you do?

daywalker

Innalhamda lillah nahmaduhu wa nasta'inuhu wa nastaghfiruh. wa naudzubillaahi billahi min syuruuri anfusina wa min sayyiati a'maalina .may yahdihillahu fa laa mudhilla lah. wa may yudhlil fala hadya lah. asyhadu an laa ilaha illallah wa asyhadu anna muhammadan 'abduhu wa rasuuluhu.

Yaaaaa ayyuhalladziina aamanuut taqullaahu haqqa tuqaatii wa laa tamuutunna illaa wa antum muslimuun (QS.Al Imran 102).

Yaaaaa ayyuhannaasuttaquu rabbakumulladzii khalaqakum min nafsiw waahidatin, wa khalaqa minha zaujahaa wa batstsa minhumaa rijaalan katsiiraa wa nisaaaaa'a, wat taquullaahalladzii tasaaaaa aluuna bihi wal arhaam, innallaaha 'alaikum raqiibaa. (An Nisa:1)

Yaaaaa ayyuhalladziina aamanuut taqullaaha wa quuluu qaulan sadiidaa, yuslih lakum a'maalakum wa yaghfir lakum dzunuubakum, wa man yuthi'illaahu wa rasuulahu, faqad faaza fauzhan 'azhiimaa (Al Ahzab 70-71)

Amma ba'du

Fa inna ashdaqa hadiitsi kitaabullaah, wa khairal hadii hadii muhammadin, wa syarral umuuri muhdatsatuhaa, wa kullum muhdatsatim bid'ah, wa kullu bid'atin dhalaalatun, wa kullu dhalalaatin fin naar.

yaa ayyuhal Ikhwah wa akhwat, I have to say that syaikh Muhammad Nashiruddin Al Albani had different view than syaikh Zakir Abdul Karim Naik.
According to him, the ayat "No one touches it except the pure.":

:salam2: i had a question, are you sheikh? just to know, thus i can give u enough respect.

daywalker

On this basis, it is permissible for you to give them this translation. May Allaah help us and you to call people to His way in a good manner. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Is this enough proofs or?

The main problem is nobody ask the sheikh what if i wanna give quran to an arab christian! what can be translated version for him except arabic!

There is no doubt that people should give translate version to a non-muslim and not with arabic one.

GAZIJA

Staff member
Brother this is just one sheikh's opinion. Another sheikh will differ from it.
Dr. Zakir Naik is a very learned scholor of Islam.

Do your sheikh has an opinion about reading or touching by non-Muslims the Arabic Quranic verses on a computer screen?

And what about my these original questions:

1. What kind of Quran will you give to an Arab Christian or Jew who only knows Arabic?

2. How can you stop all Arabic Quran from being touched by a non-Muslim if he buys the Quran and start touching and reading it? What can you do?

Sister or brother I am not here to have a debate, but seems to me that you think Dr. Zakir knows better then Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid which I doubt?? but as hadith says ther is good in both and I love them both and respect their decissions. I am at work so I didi not watch Dr. Zakir video but that does not metter, because I am not saying he is wrong.

To your questions;

1) this is broad question and I could give many answers to it, but is it neccesary to give somebody Quran if you can find it on the internet and read it, without touching???

2) I can not stop anybody to buy it or touch it only Allah can and if that person wants to revert than no problem.

I said what I know and suported it with the proofs.
Anyways, I am just helping here and Allah knows best. No hard feelings:SMILY286::SMILY149:

wasalam

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Assalamu Alykum Warahmatullahe Wabarakaathuh. Brothers and Sisters, I think that you should beware of just saying something out of your opinion, even if it sounds reasonable, because it could go against what REALLY is correct.

We would need a good Scholar who could give a straight forward and correct answer, not someone who just uses reasoning.

May Allah Ta Alla bestow his Mercy on us and lead us to the Truth, Ameen Ya Zaal Jalaaly Wal Ekraam!

saif

yaa ayyuhal Ikhwah wa akhwat, I have to say that syaikh Muhammad Nashiruddin Al Albani had different view than syaikh Zakir Abdul Karim Naik.
According to him, the ayat "No one touches it except the pure.":

1. The Qur'an in Lauhul Mahfuzh is touch by Malaikat
2. You could read Qur'an without looser
3. It is true that Kafirun is Najis

That means like "Do not put Al Qur'an in the dirty place."

Can you provide a reference of this tafsir by sheikh al-albani? Because if it is really true, what you are saying and if the sheikh has really done the tafsir like that, then I know for future, that I will respect him as a scholar but I will be extremly careful accepting anything from him. While it is true that we shouldn't put quran in the dirty place, I am having hard time accepting it as tafsir of this verse. And if you cannot provide a reference, then I will love you as my muslim brother but I will be extremly careful accepting anything from you :)

I am very pleased to see the critical questions posed on the fatwahs posted here. The sheikhs will get their reward from Allah if they did a correct ijtihad and also if they tried their best but they did a mistake. We should respect all scholars but never become blind followers. The respected scholars must have overlooked the fact, that our Prophet quoted verses of Quran in his letters to some non muslim kings. At least the ayah of Bismillah was in every letter. In his letter to heraclius he further quoted following verse:

“Say [O Muhammad (Peace be upon him)]: ‘O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), come to a word that is just between us and you, that we worship none but Allâh, and that we associate no partners with Him, and that none of us shall take others as lords besides Allâh.’ Then, if they turn away, say: ‘Bear witness that we are Muslims.’ ” [3:64]

It is particularly important because the letters explicitely prove the written word being handed over to non-muslims. This is just to raise a further question on the posted fatwah. Actually the question about what to give to a christian arab is enough for me to make my own opinion about the fatwah.