Communicating with kaffir family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannah123

One Truth
Assalaam Alaikum
I'm going through a trial and would appreciate some sound advice. My family are kaffirs and i find it very hard to communicate with them. My sister has recently been baptized in her church and now she claims to live for God. She is going to India, she says, "to pray for muslims" I know it is wrong to cut ties with kin i just find it nearly impossible to even listen to her voicemails, she sounds desperate to see me and i don't want to be that for her. she doesn't dress very modest or act modest. I don't want to hang out with her or talk to her. Please advise me on what's right, how to talk to my family, ever since i converted in October 2006 they have become more practicing in their faith (christianity) and i don't know what to say to them when they talk about how they are fasting and praying for me. It's sooo uncomfortable. Sorry this message is a little long and confusing, i guess you can tell how i'm feeling! Jazakallah for any responses.
Walaikum,
Hannah

When i see them or hear them i can only thank Allah that he has guided me to the siratal mostaqeem and pray for guidance.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
:salam2: sister Hannah,

that's right,you cannot cut ties with kin,hamdulillah!.
Speak with your sister and your family....you can't keep doing this for ever!
Put your trust in Allah and pray for them,that they can find the right way InshaAllah.They tell you that they pray for you?.....hamdulillah!..at the end you know what's the truth,hamdulillah!
The good news of the paradise are for the sab'run,people with patience,and that is our test in this life,InshaAllah.Be patient!We need an infinite quantity of patience ...hamdulillah!

:salam2:

Assalaam Alaikum
She is going to India, she says, "to pray for muslims".
in india for pray muslims?
what is there in india?something special? a special church?
she doesn't dress very modest or act modest.
tell her that if she lives for god then shouldn´t she wear good dress or act modest?
Please advise me on what's right, how to talk to my family, ever since i converted in October 2006 they have become more practicing in their faith (christianity) .
dont be afraid if they became more practising in their faith. if you are steadhaft with islam than its will better for you to talk about islam and allah. for example more the class fellows of mine are not believeing in god or not so much. so whenever i start to talk about god they say to me just chill man. its a good chance that your sister says that she lives now for god. now you have good chance to talk about islam.

When i see them or hear them i can only thank Allah that he has guided me to the siratal mostaqeem and pray for guidance.

if they also praying for muslims or fast then tell them to do it only for god(allah) not through other person.e.g. prophet jesus(pbuh).

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Salam Alaikum
I don't think it's right to call your family "Kaffirs" they are Christian, (DHimmi)
people of the book. We are commanded by Allah (SWT) to respect our parents especailly our mothers. Instead give dawa to your family, teach them all the beautiful things about our religion. InshAllah in time they will see the truth, but I think that it's less likely to happen if they feel you look down on them
Fi amin Allah

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Family is the safest haven for people. We can act so rude with our families because deep down we know they may reject our behavior but love us.

One of the stages of faith leads us to be very sensitive to our faith. We want to scream and shout and want everyone to share in our joy. They don't.
We become sensitive to their actions. Strange things happen.

Another stage of faith is the lonliness it brings. We are surronded by people but we feel so alone. Our love for Allah is so strong we don't need anything else. We are alone unless we are praying.

Siblings drive each other crazy. That is just one of those facts of life.

Given all that. Respect your parents. Be glad that your sister is going to be praying for Muslims. Educate her on the number of Muslims who have been burned alive this year in India.

This is motherly advise, talk to us at this site. Chill with Islam on the homefront. Practice your faith in a humble manner. Spend time learning and reading. Always have a humble smile, work hard, be kind to all your family.

umm hussain

walaikum salam warahmatullah

When my sister came to visit me last summer she was wearing a mini skirt and a sleeveless top and I walked around with her and even introduced her to some Muslim sisters who know i am a revert and the rest of my family aren't and alhamdulillah the sisters greeted her with a smile and she was fine with them. Inshallah this is a form of dawah for her as well and if she is to visit again because she knows the other sisters I will be with wear hijab and Jilbab she will dress a bit more modestly.

I hear this 'we are praying for you' speech as well, in reply I say I am praying for you too. When I said that to my mum she didn't say that again. You could try it maybe it will work. My other sisters are fine as well, we will talk a bit about Islam , sometimes when I say I have just come back from the mosque, they will say oh ok that's great I was at church on Sunday. I ignore these remarks.

In the beginning though I felt like I didn't want to see them again but I am only doing it for Allah's sake as we should uphold family ties. Unless of course they are inviting you haram e.g a wedding with free mixing, music, drinking alcohol etc. I heard some Sheik saying that if your doing good in this case keeping family ties by visiting , is going to cause a greater fitnah ( causing something haram to be done then you should stay away).

And Allah knows best

Min-Fadhli-Rabii

Assalam aleikum!
Alhamdulillah that Allah guided me and you to the right path.
Answering your questions.Is not right or islamic to cut ties/relationship to your family even to your friends who are kaffir .Infact you should be happy your family are practicing religion ,no matter which religion they belong .Is better to be practising christian rather than atheist. Because is easy is to convince them(ofcourse with the help of Allah) about Islam because bibble talks about islam and it proves Jesus(SAW) is a muslim .So because they are practising christian they have knowledge of bibble.so wot you need to know is comparative religions. Watch Ahmad Deedat ,Zaik Naik Videos and equip yourself to challenge them.
Ofcourse you can interact with them as any other family does.As long as they dont fringes your religion/as long they dont allowed you to practising your religion then is a different thing.
Jazakallah

farhopes

No God but Allah
Dear sister Hannah, Assalamo aom

Dear sister Hannah, Assalamoalikom,
I do know how you feel. It's not easy at all, but if you read the Holy qur'an, you'll find that some of the prophets had the same situations. What did they do?? They strived hard to convey the message of their Lord by good and nice words and acting very wisely.
Allah enjoins us to be good to our parents, whatever their religion is. Let them see how you have changed to the best after converting to Islam. Don't feel so upset because it's Allah's will that guided you and may also guide them at any moment. Accept the situation you are in with great hope in the mercy of Allah and don't give up praying for your family.:tti_sister:

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
As salamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wabrakatuhu
Its just about patience. You have to be patient so that you can show Islam through your character and behaviour. Dont try to be too harsh on them. You have to understand that they are ignorant and most people cannot take things instantly. So you have to work it out. Insha Allah, make a lot of duas.
Wa/salam

wannabe_muttaqi

A MUSLIM BROTHER
ASAK Brother,
First of all i'm more than happy that you reverted to the Truth. but you should also know that even if your parents are non-believers you have to respect them and take good care of them. Brother you have got a chance to talk to your sister why don't you look at the brighter side, you are getting a chance to spend sometime with your sister duriing which you can convince them abt the truth. If you are good practicing muslim then definitely they will see changes in you which will definitelly make them think abt their faith.

Also i've seen a video in which a revert brother kept on making daawah to his mother for 23 yrs and only then she acceptedthe truth. So never lose hope on ALLAH SWT's mercy. Pray for your family so that ALLAH SWT will guide them to the truth.

JAK

kayleigh

I know it can get annoying, but they're still your family. If you completely cut them off, it might make them think even worse of Muslims. Be a good example for them and maybe you can talk to your sister about how Christianity also requires that she dress modestly. And you must always respect your parents.

Something that helps me when I have to deal with fundamentalist Christians or with my parents when they're going through a "religious period" is to remember that although our views may be different in a lot of areas, we still both believe in one God and worship one God. And even if the Bible is corrupt, there's still a lot of good in it. And they do mean well. Try to look at what you have in common instead of what you don't have in common, pray to Allah and ask for his help, and just have patience :)

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
A Dhimmi is a type of Kaafir. A kaafir is one who disbelieves and covers up the truth, ie Islaam. Allah knows everything, but we do have PRINCIPLES of takfeer in the religion. If people openly profess their disbelief, then how are they not kuffaar? I remember Shaykh Khalid Al-`Anbaree going through this in his book about takfeer, he mentions the different categories and types of disbelief. From them are those who disbelieve in Islaam outwardly and inwardly. Those who believe Islaam to be the truth, but don't act in accordance with it due to having arrogance and hate of compliance to the deen (such as Iblis). And other such categories.

mohsofi_abdullah

Salam
There was a sahabah, who bathed pigs in his home...
Everyday, he would bath them, clean them, take them to the dining room to eat, and all sorts of things as if the pigs were human...
It turned out that those pigs were originally humans, but cursed by Allah because of their sins...
They were actually his parents...
The love of a son or a daughter does not recognize their parents' sins...
Keep cleaning the dishes and doing the homework...
Love them and take care of them like kings...
Try to iron their clothes, and cook for them, the halal food...
They way to affect human beings is through the food you provide for them...
Allah created food to be served to our old folks and children...
Therefore, learn to do anything to serve your parents...
Clean the dishes even if the dishes were full of haram food...
Islam does not forbid us to touch those food, except to eat them...
You can wash your hands afterwards... Cleaning is part of Islam, so it would be okay, really, unless they try to poison your food with haram products...
But still, love them for they might realize that Islam has taught us to be a good son/daughter...
You don't really have to counter-argue all conflicting arguments in your family, but speak with authority on their misconception... The authority should be based on the tone of Al Quran, not an angry one...
Wassalam

Bluegazer

Assalau Alaikum,

An issue that many Muslims have some difficulty understanding is the fact that the People of the Book [Jews and Christians] who do not become Muslims after the advent of the prophethood of Muhammad [peace be upon him] are disbelievers [pronounced as Kuffaar in Arabic].

And so that no one has any doubts about this matter, the following are some verses of the Qur'an that deal with this question:

Indeed, those who disbelieve in Allah and His messengers and wish to discriminate between Allah and His messengers and say, "We believe in some and disbelieve in others," and wish to adopt a way in between - Those are the disbelievers, truly. And We have prepared for the disbelievers a humiliating punishment.

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 4:150-151]

And whoever has not believed in Allah and His Messenger - then indeed, We have prepared for the disbelievers a Blaze.

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 48:13]

Those who disbelieved among the People of the Scripture and the polytheists were not to be parted [from misbelief] until there came to them clear evidence -

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 98:1]

In the Translation published by the King Fahd Complex for the Printing of the Holy Qur'an, verse 6 of Surat al-Bayyinah [Chapter 98] is translated as follows:

Verily, those who disbelieve (in the religion of Islâm, the Qur’ân and Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) from among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) and Al-Mushrikûn will abide in the Fire of Hell. They are the worst of creatures. [4]
---------------------------------------------------------
[4] (V.98:6) It is obligatory to have Belief in the Messengership of the Prophet (Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم). Narrated Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه: Allâh’s Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم said: "By Him (Allâh) in Whose Hand Muhammad’s soul is, there is none from amongst the Jews and Christians (of these present nations) who hears about me and then dies without believing in the Message with which I have been sent (i.e. Islâmic Monotheism) but he will be from the dwellers of the (Hell) Fire." (Sahih Muslim, the Book of Faith, Vol.1, Chapter No.240). See also (V.3:85) and (V.3:116).

Source: http://qurancomplex.org/Quran/Targama/Targama.asp?nSora=98&l=eng&nAya=4#98_4

The Jews, Christians and other disbelievers who'll abide in Hell forever are the ones who the message of Islam has reached in a clear and undistorted way and then died as non Muslims.

For the disbelievers who have not known about Islam in a clear and undistorted way, then they'll be tested on the Day of Judgement, and according to their performance in that test they will either enter Heaven or Hell.

This is a very important issue. Please click on the following links to read what I have posted on this matter:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23244&postcount=21
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30021&postcount=10

It is also very important to realise that just because a person is a disbeliever [Kaafir] does not mean that his life and property can be violated. The following is part of an answer given by Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid to question no. 26721:

8- The Muslims believe that it is not permissible, under any circumstances whatsoever, for a Muslim to mistreat a non-Muslim who is not hostile towards Islam; so the Muslim should not commit aggression against him, or frighten him, or terrorize him, or steal his wealth, or embezzle him, or deprive him of his rights, or deny him his trust, or deny him his wages, or withhold from him the price of his goods when buying from him or withhold the profits of a partnership if he is in a business partnership with him.

9- The Muslims believe that it is obligatory upon the Muslims to honour treaties or agreements made with a non-Muslim party. If a Muslim has agreed to their conditions when seeking permission to enter their country (i.e., a visa) and has promised to adhere to that, then it is not permissible for him to commit mischief in their land, to betray anyone, to steal, to kill or to do any destructive action, and so on.

Source: http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=26721&ln=eng

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum brother ayman1,

Thanks, Bluegazer, for the references you quoted. However, everything you mentioned is what God or the prophet have said about non-Muslims. Nowhere does it say that we can say the same thing! Nowhere in your references do we get a license to call non-Muslims kaafirs.

With all due respect, I disagree with you. When God Almighty refers to people who do not enter Islam as being kuffar [disbelievers], then that means that any Muslim can also call them as such. It is a label Allah has used for them, and therefore we should not shun away from using it.

If it causes hurt to non Muslims, then we can communicate with them using other terms such as non Muslims, but without denying that they could also be called Kuffaar [disbelievers].

I think it's best that I re-post a religious opinion by Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid. It's his answer to question no. 6688 [Whoever does not believe that the kaafirs are kaafirs is himself a kaafir]. Please take special note of the parts I coloured red:

Question:

Is it true that anyone who does not accept that kuffaar are kuffaar is a kaafir himself, even if he prays, believes in the Qur'aan, and the Prophet Muhammad ( )? If so, what is the proof for this? Can a person insist on believing that Jews and Christians can be believers and go to heaven after being shown clear evidence against this, and still be considered a Muslim?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Yes, this is correct. Whoever is not convinced that the person who disbelieves in the religion of Allaah is a kaafir, does not believe what Allaah has told us about their being kaafirs, and he does not believe that the religion of Islam abrogates all previous religions and that all people must follow this religion no matter what their religion was before.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

“Say (O Muhammad): “O mankind! Verily, I am sent to you all as the Messenger of Allaah” [al-A’raaf 7:158]

Al-Qaadi ‘Ayyaad said: hence we regard as a kaafir everyone who follows a religion other than the religion of the Muslims, or who agrees with them, or who has doubts, or who says that their way is correct, even if he appears to be a Muslim and believes in Islam and that every other way is false, he is a kaafir

(Al-Shifaa’ bi Ta’reef Huqooq al-Mustafaa, 2/1071)

Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Know that among the greatest things that can nullify Islam are ten things:

Associating othes in worship of Allaah alone, Who has no partner or associate. The evidence ofr that is the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, Allaah forgives not (the sin of) setting up partners (in worship) with Him, but He forgives whom He wills, sins other than that” [al-Nisaa’ 4:116].

This also includes offering scarifices to other than Allaah, such as to the jinn or at graves.

Whoever regards others as intermediaries between him and Allaah and calls upon them to ask them to intercede for him, is a kaafir according to scholarly consensus.

Whoever does not regard the Mushrikeen as kaafirs or doubts that they are kaafirs or regard their way as correct, is a kaafir according to scholarly consensus.

After enumerating them, he said (may Allaah have mercy on him):

In the case of all these things that nullify Islam, there is no difference whether a person is joking or is serious or is afraid – except in cases where he is forced to do something. All of them are among the things that are very dangerous and which happen very often. The Muslim has to beware of them and fear them happening to him. We seek refuge with Allaah from the things that earn His wrath and His painful prunishment, May Allaah bless Muhammad.

(Mu’allafaat al-Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab, 212, 213).

Shirk and kufr are the same when it comes to the ruling (hukm)

Ibn Hazm said:

Kufra and shirk are the same; every kaafir is a mushrik and every mushrik is a kaafir. This is the view of al-Shaafa’ and others.

(al-Fisl, 3/124).

The Jews and Christians are kuffaar and mushrikeen. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And the Jews say: ‘Uzair (Ezra) is the son of Allaah, and the Christians say: Messiah is the son of Allaah. That is their saying with their mouths, resembling the saying of those who disbelieved aforetime. Allaah’s Curse be on them, how they are deluded away from the truth! … They (Jews and Christians) took their rabbis and their monks to be their lords besides Allaah (by obeying them in things which they made lawful or unlawful according to their own desires without being ordered by Allaah), and (they also took as their Lord) Messiah, son of Maryam (Mary), while they (Jews and Christians) were commanded [in the Tauraat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)] to worship none but One Ilaah (God — Allaah) Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He). Praise and glory be to Him (far above is He) from having the partners they associate (with Him).” [al-Tawbah 9:30-31].

It was reported from Abu Hurayrag that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “By the One is Whose hand is the soul of Muhammad, not one of this nation, Jew or Christian, will hear of me and will die without having believed in that with which I have been sent, but he will be one of the dwellers of Hell fire.”

(Narrated by Muslim, 153)

Whoever says that the Jews are not kaafirs is disbelieving in the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meanings):

“And their hearts absorbed (the worship of) the calf because of their disbelief” [al-Baqarah 2:93]

“Among those who are Jews, there are some who displace words from (their) right places and say: “We hear your word (O Muhammad) and disobey,” and “Hear and let you (O Muhammad) hear nothing.” And Raa‘ina [in Arabic it means “Be careful, listen to us, and we listen to you”, whereas in Hebrew, it means “an insult”] with a twist of their tongues and as a mockery of the religion (Islâm). And if only they had said: “We hear and obey”, and “Do make us understand,” it would have been better for them, and more proper; but Allaah has cursed them for their disbelief…” [al-Nisa’ 4:46]

“Because of their breaking the covenant, and of their rejecting the Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allaah, and of their killing the Prophets unjustly, and of their saying: “Our hearts are wrapped (with coverings, i.e. we do not understand what the Messengers say)” — nay, Allaah has set a seal upon their hearts because of their disbelief, so they believe not but a little. And because of their (Jews) disbelief and uttering against Maryam (Mary) a grave false charge (that she has committed illegal sexual intercourse); And because of their saying (in boast), “We killed Messiah ‘Eesaa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), the Messenger of Allaah,” — but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but it appeared so to them the resemblance of ‘Eesaa (Jesus) was put over another man (and they killed that man)]…” [al-Nisa’ 4:155-157]

“Verily, those who disbelieve in Allaah and His Messengers and wish to make distinction between Allaah and His Messengers (by believing in Allaah and disbelieving in His Messengers) saying, “We believe in some but reject others,” and wish to adopt a way in between. They are in truth disbelievers. And We have prepared for the disbelievers a humiliating torment” [al-Nisa’ 4:150-151]

Whoever says that the Christians are not kuffaar is disbelieving in the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meanings):

“Surely, in disbelief are they who say that Allaah is the Messiah, son of Maryam (Mary)…” [al-Maa’idah 5:17]

“Surely, disbelievers are those who said: “Allaah is the third of the three (in a Trinity).” But there is no Ilaah (god) (none who has the right to be worshipped) but One Ilaah (God —Allâh). And if they cease not from what they say, verily, a painful torment will befall on the disbelievers among them” [al-Maa’idah 5:73]

And he is disbelieving in the words of Allaah concerning the Jews and Christians who do not believe in our Prophet or follow him:

“Verily, those who disbelieve in Allaah and His Messengers and wish to make distinction between Allaah and His Messengers (by believing in Allaah and disbelieving in His Messengers) saying, “We believe in some but reject others,” and wish to adopt a way in between. They are in truth disbelievers. And We have prepared for the disbelievers a humiliating torment” [al-Nisa’ 4:150-151]

What is there left to say after these clear statements from Allaah, may He be exalted? We ask Allaah to guide us. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=6688&ln=eng

I realise, brother ayman1, that you agree with me that Jews and Christians found are kuffaar [disbelievers]. The difference between us is that you don't see that we should call them kuffaar [disbelievers] -even when we Muslims are talking amongst ourselves about Jews and Christians- while I see that it's perfectly acceptable that Muslims call them kuffaar [disbelievers].

But the religious opinion mentioned above shows that there's absolutely nothing wrong in calling Jews and Christians Kuffaar [disbelievers].

And another point. Why this sensitivity against calling them Kuffaar? I mean, it's translated as "disbelievers". What's so insulting about calling someone who doesn't believe in Islam a "disbeliever"?

In fact, there are times when Muslims in the Qur'an are praised for disbelieving in certain things, and Allah used the same word as a verb يكفر [pronounced in Arabic as Yakfur]:

لاَ إِكْرَاهَ فِي الدِّينِ قَد تَّبَيَّنَ الرُّشْدمِنَ الْغَيِّ فَمَنْ يَكْفُرْ بِالطَّاغُوتِ وَيُؤْمِن بِاللّهِ فَقَدِ اسْتَمْسَكَ بِالْعُرْوَةِ الْوُثْقَىَ لاَ انفِصَامَ لَهَا وَاللّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ

There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong. So whoever disbelieves in taghut [1] and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy handhold with no break in it. And Allah is Hearing and Knowing.
---------------------------------------------------------
[1] False objects of worship, such as idols, heavenly bodies, spirits, human beings, etc.

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 2:256. Footnote [1] was originally numbered 88 and is on page 53 of the Translation edited by Saheeh International, ISBN 9960792633]

So, all Muslims are Kuffaar in the sense mentioned in verse 256 of Chapter 2 of the Qur'an, because we Muslims should disbelieve in all false objects of worship.

However, if you mention this to a Muslim, be sure to make it clear that you mean it only in the sense mentioned in verse 256 of Chapter 2 [al-Baqarah], or you'll get in very serious trouble!

Just one last point in this matter, you said that:

However, everything you mentioned is what God or the prophet have said about non-Muslims. Nowhere does it say that we can say the same thing! Nowhere in your references do we get a license to call non-Muslims kaafirs.

If we're going to use your logic, then God Almighty and the Prophet [peace be upon him] have called us Muslims. Do we have to search for a specific Qur'anic verse or an authentic saying of the the Prophet [peace be upon him] that expressly allows us to call ourselves Muslims?

If God Almighty and/or His Messenger [peace be upon him] called a human being with certain beliefs a Muslim, then any human can also refer to this human being as a Muslim.

Likewise, if God Almighty and/or His Messenger [peace be upon him] called a human being with certain beliefs a Kaafir [disbeliever], then any human can also refer to this human being as a Kaafir [disbeliever].

It's as simple as that.

You also wrote the following:

What benefit, other than a feeling of self righteousness and a fleeting ego boost, do we get when we call others kaafir? What harm do we suffer if we do not?

There are several points worth mentioning:

a) You asked "What benefit, other than a feeling of self righteousness and a fleeting ego boost, do we get when we call others kaafir? What harm do we suffer if we do not?"

I say that there are many great benefits.

One of them is to be careful when interacting with the Kuffaar [disbelievers] so that they do not affect my religion of Islam. A Muslim should accept from them all good and decent things that do not conflict with Islam. But whatever is in conflict with Islam, a Muslim should reject.

Many Muslims do not know how to differentiate between being honest and just when dealing with non Muslims [Kuffaar] and between knowing that they are Kuffaar [disbelievers]. They think that if someone is a Kaafir [disbeliever], then that automatically means I must harm him in any way possible.

That is a very big mistake.

God Almighty told us the difference in how to treat different types of Kuffaar in the following verses of the Qur'an:

Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes - from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly. Allah only forbids you from those who fight you because of religion and expel you from your homes and aid in your expulsion - [forbids] that you make allies of them. And whoever makes allies of them, then it is those who are the wrongdoers.

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 60:8-9]

b) You said that one of the effects of calling non Muslims Kuffaar [disbelievers] is that it causes in a Muslim "a feeling of self righteousness and a fleeting ego boost".

To begin with, we Muslims must all realise that a Muslim is better than a non Muslim.

Even a Muslim who does all kinds of major sins, as long as he does not do anything that puts him out of the fold of Islam, is better than the most good Kaafir [disbeliever] who has excellent manners and treats everyone in an excellent manner.

The "bad" Muslim is still a Muslim, and if he dies as a Muslim then he will end up in Heaven, even if he might be punished in Hell for his sins if God Almighty does not forgive him.

The "good" Kaafir [disbeliever] is still a disbeliever, and he will enter Hell to abide therein forever if he died as a Kaafir [disbeliever] after the message of Islam reached him in a clear and undistorted way.

However, a Muslim should definitely not feel any ego when referring to non Muslims as Kuffaar [disbelievers]. I can think of three reasons:

1- No Muslim [including myself] can guarantee that he will die as a Muslim. That is why all Muslims should supplicate to God Almighty on a regular basis to strengthen their faith and to protect us from disbelief.

I'm sure that you're aware that there are people who were Muslims [either born into Muslim families or reverted to Islam] and then left the religion of Islam. If a Muslim thinks he's absolutely immune from this happening to him, then this Muslim has a very serious problem.

2- There are examples of the best among humanity [prophets (peace be upon them all)] who asked God Almighty to die as Muslims. That means that there was no ego in their hearts, and as such we ordinary humans [who are not prophets] should be even more concerned about asking God Almighty to die as Muslims and not to carry any ego for being Muslims.

God Almighty related to us that Prophet Joseph [peace be upon him] said:

My Lord, You have given me [something] of sovereignty and taught me of the interpretation of dreams. Creator of the heavens and earth, You are my protector in this world and in the Hereafter. Cause me to die a Muslim and join me with the righteous.

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 12:101]

Being a Muslim is a great gift from Allah the Almighty. He said:

But those who believed and did righteous deeds - We charge no soul except [within] its capacity. Those are the companions of Paradise; they will abide therein eternally. And We will have removed whatever is within their breasts of resentment, [while] flowing beneath them are rivers. And they will say, "Praise to Allah , who has guided us to this; and we would never have been guided if Allah had not guided us. Certainly the messengers of our Lord had come with the truth." And they will be called, "This is Paradise, which you have been made to inherit for what you used to do."

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 7:42-43]

3- Even if someone is a Kaafir [disbeliever] in the present time, that does not rule out the possibility the he will enter Islam one day.

And even if he died as a non Muslim, do I know that the call to Islam has reached this individual in a clear and undistorted way so as to make him responsible for not becoming a Muslim?

You also wrote the following:

Whom God accepts and will reward and whom He will punish is God's business and His alone. We should focus on our own faith, thoughts, words and deeds and hope and pray that we will be among those whom God accepts and rewards.

There's something that needs to be explained.

When I call Jews and Christians Kuffaar [disbelievers] -and as such all disbelievers will enter Hell forever if the message of Islam reaches them in a clear and undistorted way-, I am applying rule generally and not to a certain specific individual.

I can say, "all non Muslims who die as non Muslim after the message of Islam has reached them in a clear and undistorted way will abide in Hell forever."

That should not be considered as me interfering in any way in God Almighty's decision [and it's His decision alone] to reward whom He wills and to punish whom He wills.

I am just repeating, in my own words, what God Almighty has already revealed, whether in His own words [i.e. the Qur'an] or through the words of His Messenger [peace be upon him].

However, when I start pointing the finger at a specific person and then say "Mr. X will enter Hell" or "Mrs. Y will enter Heaven", then that is a forbidden act to do, since these things are only known to -and are at the sole discretion of- Allah the Almighty.

If Mrs. Y is a Muslim, how can I know for certain that she won't leave Islam and die as a Kaafir [disbeliever]?

If Mr. X is a Kaafir [disbeliever], how do I know that he will not die as a Muslim? And even if he died as a non Muslim, how do I know that the call to Islam has reached him in a clear and undistorted way as to make him responsible? Isn't there a chance that the call to Islam did not reach him in a clear and undistorted way? In this last case, isn't there a chance that this Mr. X might actually succeed in the test he must go through in the Day of Judgement and therefore end up in heaven?

The only time when any Muslim can say that a certain specified individual will enter Heaven or Hell is if there's a Qur'anic verse or an authentic sayings of the Prophet that states that.

For example, God Almighty said:

May the hands of Abu Lahab be ruined, and ruined is he. His wealth will not avail him or that which he gained. He will [enter to] burn in a Fire of [blazing] flame. And his wife [as well] - the carrier of firewood. Around her neck is a rope of [twisted] fiber.

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 111:1-5]

So, we can say with certainty that Abu Lahab [the Prophet's [peace be upon him] uncle] and his wife will enter Hell.

As for all individuals who's fate has not been mentioned specifically in the Qur'an or in an authentic saying of the Prophet [peace be upon him] -and that includes the vast majority of cases- then we Muslims cannot and must not say that a certain specified individual will enter heaven or hell.

What we should do is just hope and pray that Allah admits a person -who has outwardly died as a Muslim- to Heaven and forgive him his sins, and to refrain from supplicating for a person who has outwardly died as a Kaafir [disbeliever].

Thank you, brother ayman1, for bearing with me in reading this long post.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

mohsofi_abdullah

Salam my sister,

I have read the story a few times, but, being an ignorant follower (repeat, follower), I have always failed to remember the source.

And to understand What Allah has said in Al Quran, we need to understand the situation we were in. Allah does not differentiate between muslims and potential muslims, until they go to war against Alllah Subhanahuwataala's rules... Please remain steadfast with our belief that Allah Subhanahuwataala wants us to the khalifah of this planet. A Khalifah is not the one who would dare call the disbelievers the kuffar. Allah Subhanahuwataala could do that, for HE is the god almighty who wanted to stress that the enemies of Islam should stop going against what Islam has laid upon the believers.

Many muslims should try to understand that, Al Quran is a miracle that was brought down to earth through Prophet Muhammad S.A.W. depending on situations faced by the great messenger. And that time was a Jahiliyyah period. Therefore, the sister's family shouldn't be confused with the jahiliyyah people, but probably President Bush and the gang shoud be called kuffars for going against Islam. Well, he did.

Sorry, if I got too .
Wassalam

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum brother mohsofi abdullah,

If you were addressing me in your post #19, then you should first realise that I'm not a sister!!

You wrote the following:

A Khalifah is not the one who would dare call the disbelievers the kuffar. Allah Subhanahuwataala could do that, for HE is the god almighty who wanted to stress that the enemies of Islam should stop going against what Islam has laid upon the believers.

And

Therefore, the sister's family shouldn't be confused with the jahiliyyah people, but probably President Bush and the gang shoud be called kuffars for going against Islam.

There seems to be this belief that a non Muslim must actually fight against Islam in order to earn the title Kaafir.

That's just not true.

Every non Muslim is a Kaafir.

Allah will treat the Kuffaar on the Day of Judgement according to whether the message of Islam reached them in a clear and undistorted way.

If a Kaafir received the message of Islam in a clear and undistorted way in this worldly life and then died as a Kaafir, then he will enter Hell to abide therein forever.

However, if a Kaafir did not receive the message of Islam in a clear and undistorted way, then he will be tested on the Day of Judgement. If he succeeds in the test, then he will enter Heaven and if he fails he will enter Hell.

I think the religious opinion [fatwa] I quoted above made this perfectly clear.

However, if you need more proof, then please read the following religious opinion [fatwa] of Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen. It's an answer to question no. 3996 [Ruling on giving a copy of the Qur’an with a translation to a kaafir]. I'll post it first in Arabic, then in English:

سؤال:
السؤال : هل يجوز إعطاء الكفار ترجمة للقرآن تحتوي على النص باللغة العربية من اجل الدعوة ؟

الجواب:
الجواب:
الحمد لله
عرضنا السؤال التالي على فضيلة الشيخ محمد بن صالح العثيمين :
ما حكم إعطاء الكافر ترجمة للقرآن تحتوي على النص باللغة العربية والترجمة والتفسير بنفس الحجم ؟
فأجاب حفظه الله :
المعروف - سلمك الله - عند العلماء أنه لا يجوز أن يسلّط الكافر على القرآن ، ولكن يدعو الكافر - إذا كان صادقاً يريد أن يعرف عن القرآن - يدعوه إلى المكتبة سواء كانت مكتبة بيته أو مكتبة عامة ويريه القرآن بين يديه . انتهى ، وإذا وجدت ترجمة لمعاني القرآن الكريم دون وجود النصّ العربي فلا حرج في إعطائها للكافر ، والله أعلم

الشيخ محمد بن صالح العثيمين

Source: http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=3996&ln=ara

Question:

Is it permissible to give for Da'wah to the non-Muslims a translation of the meanings of the Qur'aan which accompanies the original Arabic text as well?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We put this question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen: what is the ruling on giving a kaafir a copy of the Qur’aan containing the text in Arabic and a translation and commentary amounting to half of the content?

He replied, may Allaah preserve him:

“What is known among the scholars is that it is not permissible to give a kaafir power over the Qur’aan (i.e., put it at his disposal), but if a kaafir is sincere in his desire to know more about the Qur’aan, a person can invite him to come to a library – either a public library or his own home library, where he can show him the Qur’aan.”

If you find a translation of the meanings of the Qur’aan without the Arabic text then there is nothing wrong with giving that to a kaafir. And Allaah knows best.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen

Source: http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=3996&ln=eng

Note that Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen called the non Muslim a kaafir even if he was "sincere in his desire to know more about the Qur’aan".

I think many Muslims have a hard time calling all non Muslims Kuffaar because the term Kuffaar has been tied up in many Muslims' minds with armed Jihad under the Islamic State. The only time they hear the term Kaafir is when they see historic TV series where Muslims fight the Kuffaar. The idea that a Kaafir simply means a person who does not believe in Islam just doesn't register.

There's also the fear in many Muslims' minds that calling all non Muslims as Kuffaar actually opens the door to terrorism. The way to counter this is to explain to Muslims that just because a person is a Kaafir does not mean that it's alright to do whatever you want to him or his property.

A Muslim man can even marry a certain type of Kaafir women, and they are chaste women of the People of the Book [i.e., Jews and Christians].

I will post the following part of a [fatwa] -again- of Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid in his response to question no. 26721:

8- The Muslims believe that it is not permissible, under any circumstances whatsoever, for a Muslim to mistreat a non-Muslim who is not hostile towards Islam; so the Muslim should not commit aggression against him, or frighten him, or terrorize him, or steal his wealth, or embezzle him, or deprive him of his rights, or deny him his trust, or deny him his wages, or withhold from him the price of his goods when buying from him or withhold the profits of a partnership if he is in a business partnership with him.

9- The Muslims believe that it is obligatory upon the Muslims to honour treaties or agreements made with a non-Muslim party. If a Muslim has agreed to their conditions when seeking permission to enter their country (i.e., a visa) and has promised to adhere to that, then it is not permissible for him to commit mischief in their land, to betray anyone, to steal, to kill or to do any destructive action, and so on.

Source: http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=26721&ln=eng

I have no problem using the term "non Muslim". However, I do have a problem when I'm told that using the term Kaafir [which simply means disbeliever] is wrong. It is not wrong, and I have shown that it's not wrong citing evidence from the Qur'an and the words of Muslim scholars.

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
May Allaah reward you with a great reward. Shaykh At-Tamimi in his Nawaaqid ul-Islaam mentions the same point about the kuffaar, that denying that they are disbelievers is disbelief in of it's self. Shaykh Saalih Al-Fawzaan ellaborates on this issue, although I remember reading something different to that from Shaykh Al-Albaanee.

The fact that Allaah and his Messenger used the term is a clear indication of it being allowed and I haven't seen any text to suggest it's prohibited. However we don't need to go beyond bounds with the word, such that it is now considered offensive (the takfeeris have abused its use)!!! It amazes me, a kaafir said to me that if Abu Usaamah called him a kaafir he'd smack him in his face?! But the reality is, they are kuffaar and I to this day haven't seen something authoritive saying we can't call them/label them as such.

Have the people forgotten the surah, "Say: O disbelievers!..."?

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum brother ayman1,

I must begin with a sincere apology to you for calling you a sister. I used to wonder why many people made such mistakes when they could check the user's profile, and then here I go making the same mistake! It just goes to show how weak and forgetful a human being is. I ask Allah the Almighty to forgive my sins and have mercy upon me and I ask Allah the same for you, brother ayman1, and for every Muslim who ever lived. Aameen.

I have edited my post #18 on this thread so that all references to you are now as a brother.

I must say I was very glad to read the following statement of yours:

You made the right conclusion when you said that the difference between us is that I do not want to call non-Muslims kuffaar. This is NOT the same as denying that they are! We know from the Quran and the Hadith that Islam is the only religion accepted by God and that anyone who seeks another religion it will not be accepted from them and they will be among the losers in the hereafter. There is no debate here!

And I say alhamdu li'llaah [thanks to Allah] that we agree upon this vital issue.

However, I still respectfully disagree with you when you wrote the following:

The argument is about what we call them. Calling them infidels, disbelievers or any such put-down names means five things, all bad:

1. We alienate them which is opposite what we should do for da`wa,
2. We offend them which is not the manner of a Muslim. They will likely offend us back.
3. We assume the moral high ground which will give rise to our ego. Anytime you boost your ego you invite Satan.
4. We become comfortable that we have the truth and will be saved. We should never feel too comfortable or too scared. The balance of fear and hope is what faith in God is about.
5. We generate negative energy. Negative energy kills the spirit and the mind much like viruses and bacteria kill the body.

There are several points I'd like to mention:

1- You said that, "Calling them infidels, disbelievers or any such put-down names....".

a) As I have mentioned in post #18, there are instances mentioned in the Qur'an where the verb "disbelieve" [pronounced in Arabic as Yakfur] was used regarding Muslims and in a positive way. That's the case in verse 256 of Chapter 2 of the Qur'an [Surat al-Baqarah].

Please read the relevant section in post #18.

Therefore, there's nothing insulting about the phrase "disbeliever". If I go up to a Christian, a Jew or a member of any other religion and ask him, "Are you a disbeliever in Islam?" He'll say, "Yes".

And likewise if a Christian, a Jew or a member of any other religion were to come to me and ask me, "Are you a disbeliever in Christianity/Judaism/any other religion?" then my reply will be -God willing- "Yes. I am a disbeliever in all religions except Islam."

b) You mentioned the word "infidel" as being a "put-down name".

First of all, I must say that in all the most important translations of the meanings of the Qur'an into English [such as the Yusuf Ali translation, the King Fahd Complex for the Printing of the Holy Qur'an translation and the translation edited by Saheeh International], you'll always find Kaafir translated as "disbeliever" or "unbeliever".

If anyone knows an instance where the word "infidel" was used in these translations, then please post it on this thread.

And so, I have not advocated the use of the term "infidel" to describe non Muslims.

Secondly, let's look at the definition of "infidel" in the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

Main Entry: in·fi·del
Pronunciation: \ˈin-fə-dəl, -fə-ˌdel\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English infidele, from Middle French, from Late Latin infidelis unbelieving, from Latin, unfaithful, from in- + fidelis faithful — more at fidelity
Date: 15th century
1: one who is not a Christian or who opposes Christianity
2 a: an unbeliever with respect to a particular religion b: one who acknowledges no religious belief
3: a disbeliever in something specified or understood
— infidel adjective

Source: http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/infidel

So, the first entry for "infidel" is actually a non Christian! Therefore, -according to the main understanding of the English language and not an Islamic view- every non Christian in the world [including a Muslim] is an infidel.

Thie Catholic Encyclopedia [the first volume of it appeared in 1907 and it was completed in 1914] gave the following definition under the entry "infidels":

As in ecclesiastical language those who by baptism have received faith in Jesus Christ and have pledged Him their fidelity and called the faithful, so the name infidel is given to those who have not been baptized. The term applies not only to all who are ignorant of the true God, such as pagans of various kinds, but also to those who adore Him but do not recognize Jesus Christ, as Jews, Mohammedans; strictly speaking it may be used of catechumens also, though in early ages they were called Christians; for it is only through baptism that one can enter into the ranks of the faithful. Those however who have been baptized but do not belong to the Catholic Church, heretics and schismatics of divers confessions are not called infidels but non-Catholics.

Source: http://www.catholicity.com/encyclopedia/i/infidels.html

The Roman Catholic Church has been known to change positions on several issues, and it might have done so regarding calling all non Christians [including Muslims] infidels.

To know the latest definition of "infidels" according to the Roman Catholic Church, you'll have to check out the New Catholic Encyclopedia. The First Edition of the New Catholic Encyclopedia was published in 1967, and the Second Edition was published in 2002.

So, in summary, it was the Christians [Roman Catholics to be more precise] who have -at least up to 1967- called us infidels.

Do other Christians call us infidels?

The entry in the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary seems to suggest that they do.

2- Regarding the five points you made:

1. We alienate them which is opposite what we should do for da`wa,
2. We offend them which is not the manner of a Muslim. They will likely offend us back.
3. We assume the moral high ground which will give rise to our ego. Anytime you boost your ego you invite Satan.
4. We become comfortable that we have the truth and will be saved. We should never feel too comfortable or too scared. The balance of fear and hope is what faith in God is about.
5. We generate negative energy. Negative energy kills the spirit and the mind much like viruses and bacteria kill the body

In my response above, points 1 and 2 have been answered. I have shown that there's nothing insulting in the term "disbeliever", which is what the word Kaafir means. I'd also like to add that I have no problem in using the term "non Muslims" as long as I also know that it's not forbidden to use the term Kuffaar.

Regarding point 3, I have already answered that by mentioning three points in response to this claim in my post #18. Please read that post again more carefully.

Regarding point 4, I have already addressed this issue in my post #18 [as part of the three points that responded to your claim that calling non Muslims Kuffaar will cause some ego in Muslims]. Please read my post #18 more carefully.

As to point #5, I do not believe that Allah the Almighty would call non Muslims with a term that would cause negative energy.

In the end, brother ayman1, I have no problem whatsoever if I refrain from using the term Kaafir when calling non Muslims to Islam or even when interacting with them. In fact, I usually use the term "non Muslim".

However, if a non Muslim comes to me and asks me whether Muslims call non Muslims Kuffaar, then I will not lie and say that we don't. I'll tell him that we do call non Muslims Kuffaar, that Kuffaar just means "disbelievers" or "unbelievers", and that Roman Catholics have called all non Christians [at least up to 1967] "infidels". And even if -for arguments sake- we suppose that the Roman Catholics have never termed us Muslims as "infidels", then I'll still say there's nothing wrong with calling non Muslims Kuffaar, because that is what Allah the Almighty has called them, and this was applied by Muslims scholars.

I'll mention to him that Muslims make a difference in how they treat the Kuffaar based on whether a particular Kaafir is hostile to Islam and hurts Muslims.

I'll also mention that the Kuffaar who will abide in Hell eternally are the ones who received the message of Islam in a clear and undistorted way and died without entering Islam, and that the Kuffaar who died without receiving the message of Islam in a clear and undistorted way will be tested on the Day of Judgement and according to the result of that test they will either enter Heaven or Hell.

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

Status
Not open for further replies.