Cooking with Wine or Beer

Durriyyah

Forever Student
:salam2:

Normally when my dad frys fish he will put a small amount of beer in it for flavor and there are other recipes that call for white wine or something similar. Since it is used only for seasoning, is it allowed? Also, no matter how much you would eat of this food, you could never get drunk off of it... it's such a small amount but cutting it out of the recipe makes a big difference.

:wasalam:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member

It is haram (forbidden), whether or not you get drunk. It is same as food which might contain pork or lard.. or animal fat.

Question:
Is it permissible to eat dishes cooked with alcohol? It is well-known that alcohol evaporates with heat.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.
It is not permissible to eat dishes cooked with alcohol, as ALL the alcohol is not evaporated with cooking or heat. Refer to the following, quoted from the famous Mayo Clinic:
[Begin quote]
Many people believe that because alcohol is sensitive to heat, it is eliminated with cooking. However, not all the alcohol content of alcoholic drinks is removed with heat; it depends on the type and time of cooking. For instance if you add beer or wine to boiling liquid, then immediately remove it from the heat, 85 per cent of the alcohol content will remain. If you light the alcohol, as in flambé dishes, 75 per cent will remain. Even after simmering the dish for one and a half hours, it will still have 20 per cent of the original alcohol content.
It is only if you simmer the mixture for two or more hours, (as you would with a wine-based beef casserole), that as little as five to 10 per cent of the original alcohol content remains.

Mayo Clinic Health Oasis

liaa

Normally when my dad frys fish he will put a small amount of beer in it for flavor and there are other recipes that call for white wine or something similar. Since it is used only for seasoning, is it allowed? Also, no matter how much you would eat of this food, you could never get drunk off of it... it's such a small amount but cutting it out of the recipe makes a big difference.

i think that it's wrong to eat the food that is made with any kind of beer wich contains alchol , or wine, cause after all , even if it will evaporate or any stuff like this, there will still be small parts of alcohol in it ( i think so )

Durriyyah

Forever Student

Thank you for your replies. That does shed some light on things! Does anyone have any suggestions for a substitute for beer? Non-alcoholic beer still has 3.2% alcohol in it.

Ahmed_2000

Servant of Allah
Asalaam Allaikum

People use juice as a subsitute. you can look for some other halaal drink.

But i recommend use Red Bull Energy drink or Coca cola ..hehehehheh

Asalaam Allaikum

virtualeye

Tamed Brother

Thank you for your replies. That does shed some light on things! Does anyone have any suggestions for a substitute for beer? Non-alcoholic beer still has 3.2% alcohol in it.

WaAlaikumussaalaam,

1- Lemon juice is the best in fish.
2- Vinegar is also very good.
3- Alcohol is not only haraam but it is called "Najs"/Impure/Filth. Anything which comes into contact with it becomes impure. How can you put a thing in your food if that thing does not allow you offer prayer if that is on your clothes?

The thumb rule is that , the more you stand closer to a gutter the more are chances you will slip drop in it. So better be touchy about alcoholic matters and feel extreme dislike to even touch it. Living in an alcoholic environment reduces a Muslim's hate for alcoholics, you should motivate yourself to intensely dislike this thig.

People feel awakward when a Muslim show his intense disliking for pork and alcohol but if you think carefully then you will know there were many nonMuslims who just started to study Islam because of that awkward feeling about Muslims. That is the same awkwardness which drove so much people study Islam after 9/11.

Hate Alcohol and feel pround on that. VE

Wassalaam,
VE

Haram is haram period. Whether its a small portion or not.

Speaking of food:

I've heard HONEY has a lot of benefits. Someone even told there was a hadith or something on it (not sure). Honey is suppose to even have medical benefits. My mom told me that Arab Muslims along time ago first used it in many beneficial ways and no matter how long you leave honey in your kitchen it will never taste different, it will always be the same, unlike any other food.

walaakum salaam

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Asalaam Allaikum

People use juice as a subsitute. you can look for some other halaal drink.

But i recommend use Red Bull Energy drink or Coca cola ..hehehehheh

Asalaam Allaikum

I wouldnt do what u recommend...
You will start burping gas out:SMILY149:

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Haram is haram period. Whether its a small portion or not.

Speaking of food:

I've heard HONEY has a lot of benefits. Someone even told there was a hadith or something on it (not sure). Honey is suppose to even have medical benefits. My mom told me that Arab Muslims along time ago first used it in many beneficial ways and no matter how long you leave honey in your kitchen it will never taste different, it will always be the same, unlike any other food.

walaakum salaam

AssalaamuAlaikum,

Its not only in Hadith but in Quran also:

016.068 And thy Lord taught the Bee to build its cells in hills, on trees, and in (men's) habitations;

016.069 Then to eat of all the produce (of the earth), and find with skill the spacious paths of its Lord: there issues from within their bodies a drink of varying colours, wherein is healing for men: verily in this is a Sign for those who give thought.

Al-Qur'an, 016.068-069 (An-Nahl [The Bee])

Wassalaam,
VE