Dua after iqama?

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum...

Ok I'm a little confused. I've listened to several lectures, read books, and even listened (gasp!) to my Shaykh. All of whom said there is no basis for making dua in the space after the Iqama and before the takbirat al ihram (if I have that name right, the takbir that starts the prayer). Making dua after the adhan, yes. But after the iqama we are to say nothing.

Yet so many of the brothers in my masjid make dua during this time, some even standing for several moments after the imam has started the prayer, whispering loudly with their hands raised, before they takbir and join us.

Who is right?

jA K...

D.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Wa 'alaykkumus salaam wa rahmatullaah. Weird...

I heard some people saying “aqamaha Allahu wa adaamaha” (may Allah keep prayers continually established), when the Mu’azzin says: “qad qaamat As-salaah” (prayer is about to begin). Is that permissible?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The basic principle with regard to acts of worship is tawqeef, i.e., (i.e., acts of worship are to be based solely on Qur’aan and saheeh Sunnah with no room for personal opinion). There is no proof that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, when he heard the iqaamah, Aqaamaha Allaahu wa adaamaha (May Allaah make it continually established). But Abu Dawood narrated that in his Sunan via a weak isnaad. He said: Sulayman ibn Dawood al-‘Ataki told us, Muhammad ibn Thaabit told us, a man from Syria told us, from Shahr ibn Hooshab, from Abu Umaamah or one of the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), that Bilaal began to recite the iqaamah, and when he said Qad qaamat il-salaah (Prayer is about to begin), the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: Aqaamaha Allaahu wa adaamaha (May Allaah make is continually established). The reason why this report is da’eef is that its isnaad includes an unknown man, and the narration of one who is unknown cannot be quoted as evidence. Thus it is clear that saying Aqaamaha Allaahu wa adaamaha (May Allaah make it continually established) when the muezzin says Qad qaamat il-salaah (prayer is about to begin) is not prescribed, because it is not proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said it. rather it is better for the one who hears the iqaamah to say what the muezzin says, because it is an adhaan, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When you hear the muezzin, say what he says.”

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessing and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Yet so many of the brothers in my masjid make dua during this time, some even standing for several moments after the imam has started the prayer, whispering loudly with their hands raised, before they takbir and join us.

Walaykumsalaam waa rahmatullahi,

The above sounds like a bidah that might have originated from a particular culture. I have never come across any evidence for such kind of a supplication with raised hands after Iqama.

As you have consulted your Imam, his opinion would be accurate as he would have knowledge on such fiqh issues.

Also, brother thariq has provided a fatwa above and from the sunnah it is established to repeat what the muezzin says.

And Allah knows best.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

:salam2:

They are not saying duaa, in most cases. And there is nothing to be said as far as duaa.

What I believe you here them say is, I am praying salat asr 4 rakat, or salat maghrib, ...., and a little bit of something else. There is other things that they say too.

There has been a fatwa about this ^ where it states there is no reason or basis in the Quran and Sunnah to state the prayer you are going to pray.

There is also a fatwa against the other things that are said.

You don't need to say anything, just prepare yourself for khushoo'.

you could goto islamqa.com and search for iqama, and see the categories.

because you are in the USA, where there are muslims from many different muslim areas, you will see things like that.

The best I could advise you is read the prophet prayers described here
sheik Albany, rihmat Allah alayhi, has put forth much effort into this. And in my opinion, has made it easy to follow. But do consult a learned person, preferably a sheik, to show you as there may be some misunderstanding as to the description, and you want it to be as the Prohpet, PBUH did.

:wasalam:

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

They are not saying duaa, in most cases. And there is nothing to be said as far as duaa.

What I believe you here them say is, I am praying salat asr 4 rakat, or salat maghrib, ...., and a little bit of something else. There is other things that they say too.

I should have thought about the issue of 'saying the Niyyah loudly' as practised by some brothers in my first post. That's a good catch, brother. Some even mention that they are facing Qiblah and at such and such time. It is like "Who are you trying to inform here?" Lol..

Anyhow I had encountered a fatwa (that I found funny b/c the shaykh was a bit suprised) related to this issue. I will try to find it and post it Insha'Allah.

Wasalaamalaykum

DanyalSAC

I should have thought about the issue of 'saying the Niyyah loudly' as practised by some brothers in my first post. That's a good catch, brother. Some even mention that they are facing Qiblah and at such and such time. It is like "Who are you trying to inform here?" Lol..

Anyhow I had encountered a fatwa (that I found funny b/c the shaykh was a bit suprised) related to this issue. I will try to find it and post it Insha'Allah.

Wasalaamalaykum

Indeed, good catch. During one of his lectures, our shaykh said he was blown away (my expression, not his) by what he heard behind him when he starts the prayer. He then switched to Arabic and started quoting some of the niyyah he heard...and kept adding to it with a pause between each addition...by the time he got to "standing behind shaykh Mahmoud....at Masjid Annur...in Sacramento California...USA" nobody needed the translations and he had us all cracking up. Of course that was all hyperbole (or at least, I hope!) but it was a good point.

weakslave

You will come to realize that the majority of Muslims do things which they don't understand. They have simply emulated their parents since childhood and it stuck ever since. I would advise you to advise them with wisdom and good advice :)

DanyalSAC

You will come to realize that the majority of Muslims do things which they don't understand. They have simply emulated their parents since childhood and it stuck ever since. I would advise you to advise them with wisdom and good advice :)

That's what our shaykh is trying to do. But what I think is frustrating him is the ones who need the guidance the most are the ones who refuse to go to his lectures.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال

Yeah, its like most of us here (at my place) memorise Al-Fatihah by heart, but barely everyone knows the meaning ayat by ayat.

"How many of us who have lived for nearly 40+ years now, but barely understand every single words that we utter in our Solaat 5x daily?" - was a lecture I listened to some time ago.

Astaghfirullahal a'theem.

This especially goes to non-native arabic speaker. Like me.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Yeah, its like most of us here (at my place) memorise Al-Fatihah by heart, but barely everyone knows the meaning ayat by ayat.

"How many of us who have lived for nearly 40+ years now, but barely understand every single words that we utter in our Solaat 5x daily?" - was a lecture I listened to some time ago.

Astaghfirullahal a'theem.

This especially goes to non-native arabic speaker. Like me.

I agree with you completely.Its a issue taken silently I have also heard in a lecture about Hafidhz who just memorize whole Quran but when asked to explain verses they cannot.