Dubai to open world's tallest tower

FreedomFighter

:salam2:

Dubai is set to open the world's tallest building as the emirate tries to re-establish some of the optimism it experienced prior to its financial crisis.

The Burj Dubai, built by about 12,000 labourers and standing at a reported height of 818 metres, will open on Monday amid tight security.

The final height has remained a secret to be revealed at the opening, but it long ago overtook its nearest rival - the Taipei 101 in Taiwan which rises to only 508 metres.

Dubai, one of seven members of the United Arab Emirates, has gained a reputation for excess with the creation of man-made islands shaped like palms and an indoor ski slope in the desert.

But the emirate suffered a real estate crash at the end of 2008 when the global financial crisis hit.

Investor confidence was badly dented again in November when the emirate's largest conglomerate announced it planned to delay debt repayments.

The Burj Dubai's opening on Monday is seen as a positive start to the year and analysts believe Dubai's financial troubles have not hurt sales of the approximately 1,100 residential units in the "super-scraper".

Higher and higher

However, the building has come in for criticism both from human rights groups, who objected to the treatment of labourers, and environmentalists, who said the tower will dramatically increase Dubai's carbon footprint.

The Burj has been developed by Emaar Properties and is believed to have cost $1.5bn
Bill Baker, the building's structural engineer, said Emaar kept pushing the design of the the tapering metal-and-glass spire higher.

"We weren't sure how high we could go," said Baker, who works for Chicago-based architecture and engineering firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.

"It was kind of an exploration ... a learning experience."

At their peak, some apartments in the Burj were selling for more than $1,900 per square foot, though they now can go for less than half that, according to Heather Wipperman Amiji, chief executive of Dubai real estate consultancy Investment Boutique.

Besides luxury apartments and offices, the Burj will be home to a hotel designed by Giorgio Armani.

The Burj is the centrepiece of a more than two kilometres squared development that officials hope will become a new central residential and commercial district.

It is flanked by dozens of smaller but brand-new skyscrapers and the Middle East's largest shopping mall.

Source: Agencies

201014112654496140_3.jpg

dna1987

Muslim Guy
^ It wouldn't be that bad if they built the building honestly and without slave labour. Building a tall tower isn't forbidden.

Anyways, Dubai has enough money to properly educate there people thrice over, turn them all into very smart people, cover their healthcare completely and still have plenty left to make sure the place is sustainable for the next 1000 years. As far as humans can plan anyway, the rest is up to Allah. But instead they seem to be spending millions for decorated bathroom seats and other things that will be useless if the country collapses.

It's amazing that 80% of the world's wealth (natural resources) are in Muslim countries, but most Muslims around the world are in the lowest 25% in terms of education, healthcare and so on.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

It cannot be said to be haraam to build a tall tower, however I do wonder at the psychology behind it all? Surely theres some element of arrogance in building it? Its almost like a challenge..(to what exactly I wont elaborate on)

I wouldn't want anything to do with it, wouldn't want to be anywhere near it because I wouldn't be surprised if Allaah's wrath descended on such a place.

D.Ahmed

Believer
Assalamu'alaykum,

It cannot be said to be haraam to build a tall tower, however I do wonder at the psychology behind it all? Surely theres some element of arrogance in building it? Its almost like a challenge..(to what exactly I wont elaborate on)

I wouldn't want anything to do with it, wouldn't want to be anywhere near it because I wouldn't be surprised if Allaah's wrath descended on such a place.

That is exactly what I was thinking, Been to Dubai a couple of times and I would never want to go there again, I have a mate that does business there and he told me some of the things that goes on specially at night behind the scenes is worse then you can imagine it is the next "Sin city" .

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

It news like *this*..that make the sign of the end of the world about *competition in building tall buildings* all the more true and the *nearness* of that *end* all the more eerie and expected...

May Allah guide us before it's too late..

:wasalam:

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

It news like *this*..that make the sign of the end of the world about *competition in building tall buildings* all the more true and the *nearness* of that *end* all the more eerie and expected...

May Allah guide us before it's too late..

As-salaamu `alaykum

"...And when you see the barefoot, naked, destitute shepherds competing in the construction of lofty buildings..." [Muslim]

Maa shaa' Allaah, that's Dubai for you...

Was-salaam

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

"...And when you see the barefoot, naked, destitute shepherds competing in the construction of lofty buildings..." [Muslim]

Maa shaa' Allaah, that's Dubai for you...

Was-salaam

Indeed...sadaqa Rasulullah (salla Allaho 'alayhi wassalam) in what he said!

Jazaka Allah khair for looking up the hadith akhi...and sobhanallah...when I read things like that a chill goes down my spine...

I just wish we don't *forget* or *disregard* these *warnings* as often as we do so we'd allow guidance to fill our lives...and we prepare for The Day in which there is no doubt in the best of manners...

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member

^ Thats it, barakAllaahu feek, I couldn't quite figure, because that hadeeth didnt come to my mind automatically though I've come accross it before.

Also, my mistake, lets remember extravagance is forbidden so this isn't just a case of a bunch of people wanting to build a tall building as my previous post wrongly implies. Every aspect of the Burj is wrong because of its extravangance, (before you can even start on other filthy aspects like the slave labour behind it all!)

wa-alaykum salaam.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum

Not to sound like im in favour of kitsch Dubai, nor would I like to live there (im very happy in simple beautiful Bilaad shaam, alhamdulillah) but would they not argue that its not going to be just an empty tower.That they have made the financial feasability studies to prove it a viable business venture, and that all the floor space will be rented / sold out? In that case, it improves their economy and provides further jobs etc

-- Oh yeah, they wont say anything about the labourers who work day and night and at extreme temperatures. Infact, in Dubai, they have a law that the builders/labourers are not allowed to work at temperatures higher than 50C .... (anything in that sun, over 40 is extreme hard work!)... however, temperatures do go over 50, but they are very rarely reported as such, nor is this law followed. Subsquently, many die in this line of work. They get paid just a few dollars a week, they are also forbidden from going to certain areas where the tourists come, because they want to present a certain "image".

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
but would they not argue that its not going to be just an empty tower.That they have made the financial feasability studies to prove it a viable business venture, and that all the floor space will be rented / sold out? In that case, it improves their economy and provides further jobs etc

That argument can very well arise..however...this important question would then follow suit...

*who* is renting and buying these properties?!

I think the answer is quite clear..preference and priority is given to foreign (Western in *specific*) investors or Arab investors *sponsored* by Western companies...because they're believed to be *the most successful* and *the most advanced* (this is a common belief in most Arab countries)

As for the jobs...then it is also known amongst Arabs and Emaratis that priority in *this aspect* is given to what is called in the Emirates...the *mowatin* or *mowatina* (the dubbing for "native Emarati")...at *double* or *triple* the wages offered to "non-mowatins"..even if the latter group has people who possess the qualifications needed for the job to be occupied..

Besides..all these "magnificent" and "record-breaking" projects and buildings need constant maintenance and financing (a lot of people are forgetting that at a certain point..these buildings will even get *old* and might need things such as *renovations!*)...I just wonder where all that money is going to come from considering natural resources (i.e. Petroleum) in the UAE are destined to literally *finish* after a few decades according to experts...and all they'll have for revenues after that is...

1. Investments (which can either be a hit or a miss..as there are no *guarantees* in them)
2. Tourism (which fluctuates due to weather seasons..social trends..economy..and even political events)

After in-depth reading into the economical state in Dubai I now realize that it's becoming a really bad case of *over-excitement* and *over-achievement*...it's like when a low-income family on the verge of poverty..suddenly wins a multi-million jackpot and they go *crazy* with the money..spending it left and right until they realize one day that their bank account is nearing *emptiness* and then they hit the *panic mode* but to no avail!...

Mind you akhi..The United States went on an infrastructure and economical development streak of *epic proportions* and then it suffered the big Market Crash and then it went into *The Great Depression* era..and we all know how *that* went...I mean I do pray that no land is harmed in any sort of way especially the hard working people who have committed no wrong..and afterall..we do have Muslim brothers and sisters earning a living there..but sobhanallah..Allah gave us brains and a sense of logic and ration so we may use them for a reason!...and may Allah bestow His guidance upon those who need it

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

The situation in Dubai financially doesn't look good at all.

The economy is heavily dependant on tourism and it's vast real estate business. In the past year,the property market has literally collapsed, real estate properties are worth half their values same time, last year. Even when valued at 50%, there are few or no buyers/investors ready to buy into their real estate projects.

In neighbouring city-emirate Ajman, who followed suit in investing in real estate, the value of their properties are less than the overall cost of construction of the building. It's already gone down the drain for them.

Also if you have been following the news closely recently, Abu Dhabi, the oil-rich capital of UAE has had to step in to bail Dubai, lending $25 billion (£15.5 billion) to meet its immediate obligations. With more debts that need to be repaid in 2010 and 2011, testing times await Dubai.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
That argument can very well arise..however...this important question would then follow suit...

*who* is renting and buying these properties?!

I think the answer is quite clear..preference and priority is given to foreign (Western in *specific*) investors or Arab investors *sponsored* by Western companies...because they're believed to be *the most successful* and *the most advanced* (this is a common belief in most Arab countries)

As for the jobs...then it is also known amongst Arabs and Emaratis that priority in *this aspect* is given to what is called in the Emirates...the *mowatin* or *mowatina* (the dubbing for "native Emarati")...at *double* or *triple* the wages offered to "non-mowatins"..even if the latter group has people who possess the qualifications needed for the job to be occupied..

Besides..all these "magnificent" and "record-breaking" projects and buildings need constant maintenance and financing (a lot of people are forgetting that at a certain point..these buildings will even get *old* and might need things such as *renovations!*)...I just wonder where all that money is going to come from considering natural resources (i.e. Petroleum) in the UAE are destined to literally *finish* after a few decades according to experts...and all they'll have for revenues after that is...

1. Investments (which can either be a hit or a miss..as there are no *guarantees* in them)
2. Tourism (which fluctuates due to weather seasons..social trends..economy..and even political events)

After in-depth reading into the economical state in Dubai I now realize that it's becoming a really bad case of *over-excitement* and *over-achievement*...it's like when a low-income family on the verge of poverty..suddenly wins a multi-million jackpot and they go *crazy* with the money..spending it left and right until they realize one day that their bank account is nearing *emptiness* and then they hit the *panic mode* but to no avail!...

Mind you akhi..The United States went on an infrastructure and economical development streak of *epic proportions* and then it suffered the big Market Crash and then it went into *The Great Depression* era..and we all know how *that* went...I mean I do pray that no land is harmed in any sort of way especially the hard working people who have committed no wrong..and afterall..we do have Muslim brothers and sisters earning a living there..but sobhanallah..Allah gave us brains and a sense of logic and ration so we may use them for a reason!...and may Allah bestow His guidance upon those who need it

assalamu alaykum wa rahamtullahi wa barakatuh,

Its not their probelm, its for the next generation to solve!

They couldve fed all the poor kids in Africa and Asia with that much money.

Well, they have good idea of getting them to build the next tower, and in the meantime take their passports whilst they work for 18 hours a day with good wage of 1 dollar a day.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Also if you have been following the news closely recently, Abu Dhabi, the oil-rich capital of UAE has had to step in to bail Dubai, lending $25 billion (£15.5 billion) to meet its immediate obligations. With more debts that need to be repaid in 2010 and 2011, testing times await Dubai.

Interesting you mention that akhi...I guess that's why Shaikh Mohammad named the tower *Burj Khalifah* (after Shaikh Khalifah bin Zayed..the "President" of the UAE)...and people were awing and oh-ing thinking that it was a *witty* gesture of respect on Shaikh Mohammad's part...things are hardly ever as simple as they seem..sobhanallah!

assalamu alaykum wa rahamtullahi wa barakatuh,

Its not their probelm, its for the next generation to solve!

True..and they may have to go through many dismays because of that..I only ask Allah (sobhanaho wa ta'ala) to guide..help..and protect that generation!..

kayleigh

I don't know if this has been mentioned already but the name has been changed to the Burj Khalifa, named after the ruler.

I think its pretty incredible looking. and as Mabsoot said, its not going to sit completely empty. Most of the money they're owed has been paid - there's several businesses, hotels, and a mall in there already.

But as for whether or not the entire economy of Dubai is very stable... I don't believe it is. They could easily find themselves dirt poor tomorrow, even with all their buildings and displays of wealth.

Shishani

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

May Allaah soften our hearts, fill them with eemaan and unite together on al-haqq (the truth).
Aameen.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
As-salaamu `alaykum

Subhanallah,that hadith is like a punch into reality.All the other external illusions about that tower suddenly vanished from my eyes.

RandyJackson

A mosque on the 150th floor.........sandwiched by Victoria's Secret stores underneath and movie theatres on top.

Ma....shaA....Laa.