Eid ul azha.....what??

AmeliaJohnson

Convert sister....
:salam2:
Um well as you know anoher eid coming soon. Well on this eid muslims sacrifice animals (halal animals...like camel goat etc). I know it till this point,
am i to slit throat of an animal too?? Um it may sound lame or funy sorry but i really dont know. If not then what are female muslims supposed to do on this eid??? umm...confused*

:wasalam:

Hana Askar

Wa'Aleikum Asalaam ^_^

Men usually ( i don't think women would have the heart to do it ) slaughter an animal such as sheep, camel, or goat. The meat from the sacrifice of Eid al-Adha is mostly given away to others; Family, relatives, friends and to the poor. This mainly symbolises the willingness to give up some of our own bounties, in order to strengthen ties of friendship and help those who are in need.

Muslim women on this day do many things; Morning of Eid al-Adha, we attend morning prayers at our local mosques then prayers are followed by visits with family and friends, and the exchange of greetings, gifts, a get together and the list go on .. lol

arzafar

actually women on eid ul adha are busy in the kitchen preparing mutton chops for the men after they have done the slaughtering! :SMILY139:

sister you must read the story of Ibrahim (as) linked in the post above to understand the concept behind this festival. its a wonderful story of sacrifice. i get to hear it every year before the eid prayer. When muslims sacrifice an animal, it symbolizes the sacrifice of all worldly desires for the sake of Allah. it's not evil, cruel or anything like that. the meat is to be shared amongst the poor in the family and outside.

DanyalSAC

Eid al Adha marks my 1 year as a Muslim (well - in the Islamic calendar... as far as the Gregorian calendar it will be on Dec 5). I am excited as I am going to do a lamb for the first time...well, excited and a little squeamish.

Two different brothers at my masjid have told me slightly different things about this task so I'm a bit confused..

Brother 1 said that we're suppose to keep a small bit of the animal for ourselves. We can donate as much as we like to charity but we are obligated to keep some.
Brother 2 said no, we can donate the whole animal.

Brother 1 said that nothing is to be thrown away: even the hide, bones, and innards are to be sold and the funds donated to charity.
Brother 2 said that you can throw away anything but the meat.

Brother 1 said you can pay to have someone slaughter it for you.
Brother 2 said no, you MUST do it yourself.

Brother 3 (me) says "I'm highly confused!" :D

BinteShafi

Left long ago
Brother Danyal...you made me laugh...SubhanAllah

I have been Muslim since birth BUT after reading opinions of brothers 1 & 2 and seeing confusion of brother 3 , this sister 1 is also very much confused. I think I need to do my own research :)

Jazak Allah for making me laugh (It is not an easy thing). I hope we both will be out of this confusion soon insha Allah.

Congratulations by the way....for being one year old Muslim Alhamdolillah :tti_sister:

Wa Alaikum salam wr wb,

Hana Askar

I found some useful information Insha'Allah :)

1.Buy and rear a sacrificial animal.

The Muslim who can afford to, should buy a sacrificial animal well before Eid. This could be a male ram, goat, sheep, cow, or a camel. The more beloved and dear the animal is to its owner, the more meaningful will be its sacrifice.

This animal should be taken care of, fed well, respected (it should not be harmed, or ridiculed in any manner) and nurtured until the time of sacrifice. Alternatively, if the Muslim can not afford a separate ram or goat for himself (or herself), scholars have allowed 7 Muslims to share in one cow.

2.Gain knowledge of the sacrifice ritual.

Muslims should be well aware of the correct etiquette and steps of religious sacrifice, by seeking knowledge of Islam pertaining to this ritual. That is, the owners should educate themselves in the Islamic rules of slaughter, and be present to supervise this ritual. The basic guidelines are as follows:

- The sacrifice should be performed during the daytime, not at night.
- The knife to be used to cut the animal's throat should be very sharp, so much so that the least amount of force or pressure is needed to slice the animal's jugular vein, so it feels the least amount of pain when its skin is thus cut.
- The knife should not be shown to the animal, but the latter should be fed well and laid down facing the direction of the "Qiblah" (Muslim direction of prayer - the Ka'ba) in Makkah.
- The person who will perform the sacrifice should be well-versed in their job, and should not hurt the animal by clumsily jabbing away at the latter's throat with a blunt knife, causing pain and fear. The one performing the sacrifice should be swift and deft. He should say "Bismillah Allahu Akbar" before slicing the animal's throat.

- The animal dies due to loss of blood. The blood should be allowed to drain completely from its body before it is skinned, disemboweled and chopped. This takes a good half-hour or so. The test to see whether the animal's blood has drained is to touch the animal's body; if it is still warm, it means the blood has not drained completely.
- It is absolutely forbidden to start skinning and cutting the animal when it is still alive or writhing. Some butchers, especially the amateur ones, who want to make the maximum amount of money on Eid Al-Adha by slaughtering as many animals as possible, commit grave errors in the process of slaughter. They should not be allowed by the animal owners to thus abuse the animal. Moreover, it is impermissible for Muslims to consume blood in any form. If the blood has not drained from the animal's body completely before it is cut up, it will remain in the veins inside the meat, thus rendering the meat "haraam" for consumption.
- For larger animals such as cows and camels, only expert butchers should try to slaughter them on Eid Al-Adha, and should be booked well in advance. It has been noted that when inexperienced people try to slaughter these large animals themselves (as expert butchers are very busy on this Eid), the latter get scared and become difficult to tie down and subdue, at times dashing off, causing injuries and harm.

3.Go for Eid prayer after the Fajr prayer.

This prayer is performed exactly the same way as for Eid Al-Fitr. The entire household awakens early and takes a full bath or ghusl, putting on new clothes and proceeding to the Eidgah or open prayer ground, for the early-morning Eid prayer. The whole family should attend this prayer, reciting the following "takbeer" all the way:
Allahu Akbar Allahu Akbar -- Allah is the Greatest, Allah is the Greatest!

Laa ilaaha illallaahu Allahu Akbar -- There is no god except Allah, Allah is the Greatest!

Allahu Akbar wa lillaahil Hamd -- Allah is the Greatest and for Allah is the Praise!

The Eid prayer is a couple of units or rak'ah's, followed by a sermon, or khutbah, by the imam (in some schools of jurisprudence, the sermon precedes the Eid prayer).

The one major aspect of this Eid is not to eat anything on 10th Dhul Hijjah until the meat of the sacrificial animal is cooked, and to partake from it as the first morsel of food for the day. The Prophet Muhammad [صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم] would thus fast from morning till the sacrifice, and break his fast with the meat of the animal. This fast is not compulsory; it is a sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad [صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم], and is thus highly recommended.

4.Perform the animal sacrifice as soon as possible after returning home from Eid prayer.

After the family returns home, the animals should be sacrificed. This can be done in the home verandah or courtyard, or in a neighborhood ground. In Muslim countries, animals are slaughtered everywhere, from the roads to the streets. In non-Muslim majority countries, however, animals can only be sacrificed at designated places, with prior permission.
If, for some valid reason, the sacrifice can not be performed on 10th Dhul Hijjah, it may be performed on the 11th or 12th (the days of stay in Mina for the pilgrims in Saudi Arabia). The reward will diminish with each passing day, though.

5. Eat from the meat and give meat to the poor and needy

One-third is eaten by immediate family and relatives, one-third is given away to friends, and one-third is donated to the poor.

:)

DanyalSAC

I found some useful information Insha'Allah :)

1.Buy and rear a sacrificial animal.

The Muslim who can afford to, should buy a sacrificial animal well before Eid. This could be a male ram, goat, sheep, cow, or a camel. The more beloved and dear the animal is to its owner, the more meaningful will be its sacrifice.

This animal should be taken care of, fed well, respected (it should not be harmed, or ridiculed in any manner) and nurtured until the time of sacrifice. Alternatively, if the Muslim can not afford a separate ram or goat for himself (or herself), scholars have allowed 7 Muslims to share in one cow.

2.Gain knowledge of the sacrifice ritual.

Muslims should be well aware of the correct etiquette and steps of religious sacrifice, by seeking knowledge of Islam pertaining to this ritual. That is, the owners should educate themselves in the Islamic rules of slaughter, and be present to supervise this ritual. The basic guidelines are as follows:

- The sacrifice should be performed during the daytime, not at night.
- The knife to be used to cut the animal's throat should be very sharp, so much so that the least amount of force or pressure is needed to slice the animal's jugular vein, so it feels the least amount of pain when its skin is thus cut.
- The knife should not be shown to the animal, but the latter should be fed well and laid down facing the direction of the "Qiblah" (Muslim direction of prayer - the Ka'ba) in Makkah.
- The person who will perform the sacrifice should be well-versed in their job, and should not hurt the animal by clumsily jabbing away at the latter's throat with a blunt knife, causing pain and fear. The one performing the sacrifice should be swift and deft. He should say "Bismillah Allahu Akbar" before slicing the animal's throat.

- The animal dies due to loss of blood. The blood should be allowed to drain completely from its body before it is skinned, disemboweled and chopped. This takes a good half-hour or so. The test to see whether the animal's blood has drained is to touch the animal's body; if it is still warm, it means the blood has not drained completely.
- It is absolutely forbidden to start skinning and cutting the animal when it is still alive or writhing. Some butchers, especially the amateur ones, who want to make the maximum amount of money on Eid Al-Adha by slaughtering as many animals as possible, commit grave errors in the process of slaughter. They should not be allowed by the animal owners to thus abuse the animal. Moreover, it is impermissible for Muslims to consume blood in any form. If the blood has not drained from the animal's body completely before it is cut up, it will remain in the veins inside the meat, thus rendering the meat "haraam" for consumption.
- For larger animals such as cows and camels, only expert butchers should try to slaughter them on Eid Al-Adha, and should be booked well in advance. It has been noted that when inexperienced people try to slaughter these large animals themselves (as expert butchers are very busy on this Eid), the latter get scared and become difficult to tie down and subdue, at times dashing off, causing injuries and harm.

3.Go for Eid prayer after the Fajr prayer.

This prayer is performed exactly the same way as for Eid Al-Fitr. The entire household awakens early and takes a full bath or ghusl, putting on new clothes and proceeding to the Eidgah or open prayer ground, for the early-morning Eid prayer. The whole family should attend this prayer, reciting the following "takbeer" all the way:
Allahu Akbar Allahu Akbar -- Allah is the Greatest, Allah is the Greatest!

Laa ilaaha illallaahu Allahu Akbar -- There is no god except Allah, Allah is the Greatest!

Allahu Akbar wa lillaahil Hamd -- Allah is the Greatest and for Allah is the Praise!

The Eid prayer is a couple of units or rak'ah's, followed by a sermon, or khutbah, by the imam (in some schools of jurisprudence, the sermon precedes the Eid prayer).

The one major aspect of this Eid is not to eat anything on 10th Dhul Hijjah until the meat of the sacrificial animal is cooked, and to partake from it as the first morsel of food for the day. The Prophet Muhammad [صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم] would thus fast from morning till the sacrifice, and break his fast with the meat of the animal. This fast is not compulsory; it is a sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad [صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم], and is thus highly recommended.

4.Perform the animal sacrifice as soon as possible after returning home from Eid prayer.

After the family returns home, the animals should be sacrificed. This can be done in the home verandah or courtyard, or in a neighborhood ground. In Muslim countries, animals are slaughtered everywhere, from the roads to the streets. In non-Muslim majority countries, however, animals can only be sacrificed at designated places, with prior permission.
If, for some valid reason, the sacrifice can not be performed on 10th Dhul Hijjah, it may be performed on the 11th or 12th (the days of stay in Mina for the pilgrims in Saudi Arabia). The reward will diminish with each passing day, though.

5. Eat from the meat and give meat to the poor and needy

One-third is eaten by immediate family and relatives, one-third is given away to friends, and one-third is donated to the poor.

:)

JazakAllah Khairn!

Thank you so much for this :) I actually learned some of this today when I went with 5 other brothers to the halal farm to pick out our animal. We are going together on a bull. I was more interested in goat for myself, but as I know some of these brothers aren't well off (neither am I) I figured it would be more beneficial to us all to pool our resources.

Thank you!
D.

a_stranger

scarafice and hearts

Dear brothers and sisters , one muslem argued: that those moments when prophet Ibarahim alaihi alsalam decided to scarafice his own son for the sake of Allah was meant to purify his heart from any other love but Love of Allah swt since he were the most beloved by Allah swt: His love for his son made a little veil between him and his most beloved creator : That test was meant to clearify the way ....and the prophet passed the test with success then Allah swt : ransomed the son with a momentous sacrifice: Allah never wanted a father to kill his son , but wanted the hearts of his servants to be pure for his love.

:salah::salah::salah: