Evidence that Music and Singing are Haram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karima

To clear the air....I was playing the piano, age 4, before taking piano lessons.... to know what the music notation meant. Any prodigy of music does not need a rocket scientist to help him play the piano....it comes from within...a unique gift.

Praying to Allah is done without music...Reading the Qur'an is done without music....Reading Hadiths is done without music....all good to do.[/COLOR]

I know that the purest form of prayer is full attention only to Allah, and pray as the prophet Muhammad set the example to. There should be no music at all...therefore, it would be haram, in this case...I understand.

What is very disheartening, is to hear that nice music, with no words, is haram, and is evil. I cannot agree, even if all the pianos were burned. Music is music.

I don't recall Dawood (alayhi sallam) ever played music.

Lightning won't strike you if you pick up a bible or have someone pick it up and read in psalms that David=Dawood played music to God. Better yet, try Google search....

This is out of respect, since I don't have a problem reading the Qur'an and also out of a bible....What I read is for learning more about God/Allah....and what the message is. Many non muslims do not have hang ups about reading anything....they just read...on the other hand, should a muslim pick up a bible, who knows what just might happen...heaven forbid...

I do understand strong opinions about music. There are many other things worth spending time on.

Thank all of you for your time to help me understand that music is a very controversial subject. When haram is mentioned, I think of someone stealing, killing, hating, etc....and nice, quiet music never entered my mind as being something evil....

....I plan to stay on the light side....remaing on the path towards God/Allah.
Use it well - it will help you in our continuous struggle to reach Allah swt. Fail to use it - music, instuments , singing well - then you join the DARK SIDE....lol.

Peace and Blessings be upon all of you.

Kayote

This is out of respect, since I don't have a problem reading the Qur'an and also out of a bible....What I read is for learning more about God/Allah....and what the message is. Many non muslims do not have hang ups about reading anything....they just read...on the other hand, should a muslim pick up a bible, who knows what just might happen...heaven forbid...

:salam2:

That is most disappointing to read how you categorise Muslims as not willing to study other religions. I intend to study Christianity & Judaism once Ive learnt about Islam, simply because its interesting topic & Insha'Allah will make it clearer to me how perfect Islam is.

The uncle I live with has studied Bible in great detail & is Masha'Allah one of the most knowledgable people I know.

:wasalam:

Karima

Asalaualikm,

Wonderful!!! This, then is how I have felt when muslims just keep to their readings, and say 'this is the truth', which it is...and not see the other side of what non muslims believe.

Had I not experienced this in discussions of Islam, then I would have never implied that this seems to be the 'norm' of muslims, from my observations.

It is commendable that your uncle has done this!!!

I intend to study Christianity & Judaism once Ive learnt about Islam, simply because its interesting topic & Insha'Allah will make it clearer to me how perfect Islam is.

This has been my goal, since learning about Islam in the beginning of my search for the truth...so to be able to be grounded in knowledge and have the wisdom to say what is the right thing to say. I am so glad you want to do the same!!!

May Allah reward you for all of your efforts...and your family.

Oh, by the way, the music issue is tapering off as a main concern, but I am glad for the awareness of how wrong it is. When I play the radio, and hear 'garbage' of music, it is obvious how haram music can be. So I avoid it.

Sallam

ibnAbdullah87

Why would you study other religions when your religion tells you about the other religions in detail. The Prophet :saw2: once seen Omar (radiyllahu anu) with one of the books of the Jews and he said in one narration are we confused about our religion and in another narration if Musa was alive today he would have no choice but to follow me. He also said that you might affirm something in their book which is wrong or you might deny something which is correct, so we should not be reading the books of the Jews and Christains. It is not from the way of the Prophet to call to Islam by arguing and showing the falts in the books of the people of the book through studying and using there own books but he used the Quran. The purpose is not the bash there books but to call them to Tawheed. And that is the way of the Prophets and messengers.

The Prophet allowed poetry, so do that in your free time and it is known from the Imams of the past and present that they do poetry and teach arabic from books of poetry. But I am surprised that their is still confusen about music the proofs should be enough, especaily the insturments, it may not be easy but it is something that the muslims not to give up.

samiha

---------
Staff member
What is very disheartening, is to hear that nice music, with no words, is haram, and is evil. I cannot agree, even if all the pianos were burned. Music is music.

Lightning won't strike you if you pick up a bible or have someone pick it up and read in psalms that David=Dawood played music to God. Better yet, try Google search....

I have to say this, as a Muslim we beleive in the Bible but we believe that Quran is the final word of Allah and that the Bible has been adapted from the form it was revealed. Only the Quran is in it's true form.

Most scholors agree that a Muslim shouldn't read books of other faiths until he has STRONG conviction of his own or he may be mislead. Someone I know tried it and she now beleives Jesus was the son of Allah or something like that. :astag:

I do understand strong opinions about music. There are many other things worth spending time on.

Thank all of you for your time to help me understand that music is a very controversial subject. When haram is mentioned, I think of someone stealing, killing, hating, etc....and nice, quiet music never entered my mind as being something evil....

Look, drinking alcohol didn't fall in your catagories, does it mean it's halaal. Nope.

Wassalam.

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom
Just wanted to share the story

A police officer in a Muslim country wrote the following letter to a Shaykh describing the events that led to his return to Allah. He recalls:

Seeing accidents and crash victims was a normal part of my day, but one incident was different.

My partner and I had parked on the shoulder of the highway and began to chat. In a random second, the scene shattered to the hideous sound of metal bodies becoming one. We threw our heads back to see what had happened: a head-on collision, the result of a vehicle slipping into the lane of the oncoming traffic.

You couldnt describe the carnage. Two young men sprawled in the first car, both in critical condition. We carried them gently away from the car and rested them on the ground.

Quickly we returned to assist the owner of the second car. He was dead. Back we went to the two young men lying side by side on the pavement.
My partner began dictating the Shahadah to them. “Say: La iIaha illAllah (there is no god but Allah), La iIaha illAllahâ

their tongues wouldnâ acknowledge. They started humming the hypnotic lyrics of some song. I was terrified. My partner had experience however and he kept repeating his instruction.

I stood watching, no movement, eyes locked. Never in my life had I seen anything similar to what was going on before me. In fact, I’ve never actually seen someone die, and never in such a satanic way.

My partner continued to instruct them to say the Shahadah but there was no use. The hum of their song came to a slow silence, slowly. The first one stopped and then the other. Not a stir. Dead.
We carried them to our patrol car, my partner made no effort to speak. Not a whisper between us two as we carried the corpses to the nearest hospital...

Dear brothers and sisters, Ubayy ibn Khalaf confronted Rasul Allah - sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam - one day with a rotted bone in his hand. He crushed it in front of his hands, let the wind blow it away and said, Muhammad do you claim that Allah will bring these ashes to life?!?"

Has not man considered how We created him from a drop of semen? Yet he is an open adversary! He makes something up to be compared with Us and forgets how he was created. He says, "Who will revive [our] bones after they have rotted away?

Allah replied Ubayy and everyone else who dares make the mistake:
Say 'The one Who raised them up in the first place will revive them. He is aware of all creation.'â€* (Surah YaaSeen 36: 77-79 (From Tafseer Ibn Katheer)

wa salaam alikom
Dont forget us in your Duaa

Karima

Walakum sallam,

Can you clearify which song was sung? This is not to be sarcastic....but to indicate that it could have been a satanic song.

Other than that, the energy of your partner to get them to say the shehaddah and they didn't, is a shame.....very sad for the men who died.

Glory (Alhamdulillah) to (the only one) God (Allah) in the Highest and Peace (Sallam) to His People on Earth!

Sallam

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

i have heard a story quite similar and it wasn't because the person couldn't say the shahadah, it was because music had a hold of his heart and so he wouldn't say it. If you are not commited to the Quran how do you expect to say it when you die?

fma6

Thirsty4Knowledge
Assalamu Alaykum

im a first year university student and am surrounded by many muslims mashallah, however, even in this holy month of ramadan they fail to realize that music is HARAAM, as much as i try to tell them they do not get it ....

So thats means nasheed is haraam? coz its a form of music as well? I think music is not haraam as long as theres "no string" attached or any other music equipments that has stings. If nasheed is haraam as well, then someone should tell the moderator to ban any posting on nasheed.. :)

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
So thats means nasheed is haraam? coz its a form of music as well? I think music is not haraam as long as theres "no string" attached or any other music equipments that has stings. If nasheed is haraam as well, then someone should tell the moderator to ban any posting on nasheed.. :)

Question:
What is the ruling on Islamic nasheeds that are free of music?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The clear saheeh texts indicate in a number of ways that it is permissible to recite poetry and listen to it. It was narrated in saheeh reports that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his noble Companions (may Allaah be pleased with them) listened to verse, recited it (as nasheed) and asked others to recite it, both when they were travelling and when they stayed at home, in their gatherings and whilst they were working, individually, as in the case of Hassaan ibn Thaabit, ‘Aamir ibn al-Akwa’ and Anjashah (may Allaah be pleased with them), and in unison, as in the hadeeth of Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) which describes the digging of the ditch (al-khandaq). Anas said:

When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw how exhausted and hungry we were, he said (in verse):

“O Allaah, there is no life except the life of the Hereafter, so forgive the Ansaar and the Muhaajireen.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3/1043)

And in gatherings too: Ibn Abi Shaybah narrated with a hasan isnaad that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The Companions of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not speak in devious tones or in a soft manner. They used to recite verses in their gatherings, denouncing the affairs of their jaahiliyyah, but if it was the matter of their religion, they would become very serious and cautious (8/711).

This evidence indicates that nasheeds are permissible, whether recited individually or in unison. The word nasheed in Arabic means raising the voice when reciting verse and making the voice sound beautiful and gentle.

There are conditions to which attention must be paid with regard to this matter:

--Not using forbidden musical instruments in nasheed.

--Not doing it too much or making it the focus of the Muslim’s mind, occupying all his time, or neglecting obligatory duties because of it.

--Nasheed should not be recited by women, or include haraam or obscene speech.

--They should not resemble the tunes of the people of immorality and promiscuity.

--They should be free of vocal effects that produce sounds like those of musical instruments.

--They should not have moving tunes which make the listener feel “high” as happens to those who listen to songs. This is the case with many of the nasheeds which appear nowadays, so that the listeners no longer pay any attention to the good meaning of the words, because they are so entranced by the tunes. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

References:

Fath al-Baari, 10/553-554-562-563
Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, 8/711
Al-Qaamoos al-Muheet, 411

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

aliff

Salam

I have heard that music is haram ( but i heard that musics that involves voices of males/females promoting emotions ..etc) is haram.

I now listen to simple-plain music, music of Yanni mainly.. these musics doesnot have any voice,, just plain piano/keyboard with some other orchestra instrument offen reffered to as soothing or relaxing music.... can anybody confirm me if this kind of music is also HARAM ?? plz

ibnAbdullah87

Insturments are not allowed because musical instruments is one of the things that the people will take as lawful and when you look at all the other things mentioned along with musical insturment are all haraam things.

The Prophet said (which means), "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allaah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection." [Al-Bukhari Volume 7, Book 69, Number 494v].

Abu Hurayrah narrated that the Prophet said, what translated means, group of this nation will be transformed into monkeys and swine." They said, "Do not they testify that there is no god except Allaah and that Muhammed is His Messenger?" He said, "Yes. And also they fast pray and perform Hajj." They said, "Then, what is their problem?" He said, "They use musical instruments, drums and female singers. (One day) they will go to sleep after a night of drinking and having fun, In the morning, they will be transformed (by Allaah) into monkeys and swine." [Iughathat Al-Lahfan].

this hadeeth also mentions musical instrument along side a punishment in this worldly life.

Listening to instrument also can lead to dancing.

Imam Ibn Taymiyyah also said regarding the person, whose habit is to listen to music, "His state of emotions becomes less passionate when he hears the Qur'aan. On the contrary, when he listens to instruments of the devil (music), he dances a lot. If the prayer is established, he either prays while sitting down or performs it as fast as when the roaster picks seeds. He dislikes listening to the Qur'aan and does not find beauty in it while reciting it. He has no taste for the Qur'aan and feels no love for it or pleasure when it is read. Rather, he finds pleasure if he listens to Mukaa' or Tasdiyah. These are satanic pleasures and he is among those whom Allaah mentioned in the Ayah, And whosoever turns away from the remembrance of the Most Beneficent (Allaah), We appoint for him Satan to be a companion for him. [43:36]." [Awliyaa' Ar-Rahman].

I hope you found the answer to your question.

shpetim

Asalamualikum, brothers and sisters.
I want to answer the question to sister Karima, inshallah.
I hope that we all remember the time when the prophet was a yong man(nearly 25) and he was caring the sheeps of his uncle (ebu talib). in a moment he was hearing sounds and woices from a house. So he wanted to go there and for 3 times Allah made him sleep. Why? beacuse He prepared him for prophet of all mankind. seems like the prophet had a desire to do something, i.e. to go and listen the music. So, evreybody agree with me that we all as a human beings have desires and chosies in our life. But, that dosent mean that those choises that we make are god for us and rightfull. So, we can ask again: why Allah doesn't make us sleep when we wants to here the music or to learn to play some instruments, if these choises are wrong? the answer is simple: Beacuse He (the Allmighty) dosen't prepare anymore nobody for prophet. These means that we all have the "Free Will" to make choises in our life. even I as human being, ho dont know to play any the instruments, if I want to learn to play, even in my 22 i will learn, beacuse i have mind and intelegence, and beacuse the Prophet pbuh. as a guidance for all human beings forbided the music, the satan know this and he will use all his power and our wiknes and give us desire to love the plaiyng and hearing difrent music. Now, u can ask how Bethowen could made his best 9th simphony, when he coulden't hear nothing? I will ask u, It was God that was showing to him the notes? I dont thinks so. So ho did?
And Mozart too, how he could play the piano, when he was very small kid, nearly in his 3rd yeras or 4th? the anwser is simple: It's tru and I belive that God gave him great mind and made him genius, but the point is for what or in witch things we use our brains or our intellegence. in these case Mozart used his brain to play the piano, witch I don't have a doubt that he coulded used for something else, for ex: to be a scientific man and to work hard and to find something great in some fields, or to aprove some results in biology or chemistry or astronomy, wich all of us will have a benefits. this is call a contribution for your own kind. For ex: Edison or Nikola Teslla, their aprovment for the light. they used their brains for goodnees, exept that they didnt were muslims, unfortenatly. Mozart could do somethin similar and mabe much beter , beacuse he had more brain than Edison or Teslla, but he chosed to play the piano and make symphonies. so, all of this has to do again with our "Free Will" wich God gave us from the moment that He created us as souls, before bodies.
Now, in the end i want to upologies to my sister if i sad something bad and she didnt felt god and warm, so i hope that she will forgive me And Allah to. But, remember my sister, if i mentioned something bad and those words make u feell bad, that was from me, beacuse all of us make mistakes all the time, but if i mentioned something good that made u feell warm and kind, that was from God/Allah.
lets hope all of us that we are going to work and make the best choises in our lifes, for best revards in this world and in the herafter. May Allah guide all of us. Amin.

amiratul_eman

my perpective on this whole music issue

I think it is always good to remember that Allah is the creator of all things, and surely the creator is more knowledgeable than that which He created. Therefore, when Allah subhanahu wa ta3allah says something is haram, we should accept without questioning! I for one, trust the words of the companions of the prophet sallallahu 3alayhi wa sallam when they say that idle talk means singing, and when the scholars agree that musical instruments besides the dhaff are haram. After all, they are the companions of the prophet, and they've spent a good deal of their lives studying Islam. These are the same people who have interpreted many other things as haram, and we listen to them, so why not listen to them when it comes to music. We can't just pick and choose what we want from the religion. If God says it's wrong, then I'm going to listen, and I truly believe that those who interpreted it as haram know well what they were doing.

Also, I heard another story very similar to the one about the car crash. However, the story I heard only involves one man, and instead of not being able to say the shahada, this man was able to read Qur'an in a very pure voice before his death. It is because he spent so much of his life reciting the qur'an, that in his last moments before death, his most tired moments, when his soul was coming out, he was able to remember the words of Allah. A rare gift that I ask Allah to grant all of us. I'm sure this man never spent any time in playing an instrument, or singing. He spent his time trying to learn as much as possible about islam, and he found pleasure in doing so. God's words made him smile, and reading the qur'an must have been his favourtie past-time. Sure we can do other things, but why aren't we aiming for the best? Why aren't we aiming for jannatul firdous, the highest jannah. Why are we attached to the less important things.

Insha Allah this was a reminder for me, and anyone else who reads it. I too have a gift with the piano. But I have, over the years learnt to find other things which are more rewarding, and have become more pleasing to the heart. And sometimes I would ask the same question as Karima. But then I see other people who think the have a gift in attracting the opposite sex, or in drinking without getting drunk, and whole bunch of other pathetic things, and they're actually serious.. so I don't know if this helped anyone, but insha allah we are all guided on the straight path. Wallahu a3lam in anything I've said.

Karima

Asalamualikum,

I respect your posts, and what has been said. There are no hard feelings of the opinions and statements against music. Again, I respect the views on this topic.

Sallam

ibnAbdullah87

Yea but you are still disobeying Allah. And you should stop listening to music since the proofs have been made clear to you and stop following your desires or opinions. After what Allah and His Messenger say then there is no but I think or I feel after. After the proofs have been made clear if you have a different opinion or feeling keep it to yourself. This is not weather or not your faith changed, the fact is by listning to music you are desobeying Allah and His Messenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.