Evidence that Music and Singing are Haram

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibnAbdullah87

Listening to music and singing is a sin and cause for the sickening and weakening of the heart. The majority of the scholars of the Salaf are unanimous that listening to music and singing and using musical instruments is Haram (prohibited).
Evidence that Music and Singing are Haram

1. Allaah said, what translated means, "And of mankind he who purchases idle talks to mislead (people) from the Path of Allaah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allaah) by way of mockery, For such there will be a humiliating torment." [31:6].

Al-Wahidi , along with other scholars of Tafsir (explaining the Qur'aan), said that "Idle Talk" in this Ayah is singing. The following companions gave this Tafsir: Ibn Abbas, Ibn Masud, Mujahid and Ikrimah . Ibn Masud said, "By Allaah, whom there is no God except Him, idle talk is singing."

2. The Prophet said (which means), "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allaah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection." [Al-Bukhari Volume 7, Book 69, Number 494v].

This Hadeeth states that musical instruments are Haram, and there is no disagreement among the scholars on this. In his book, Ighathat Al-Lahfan, Ibn Al-Qayyim said, "When the Prophet said, 'render as lawful,' he meant that it was unlawful, then the people made it lawful."

3. Abu Hurayrah narrated that the Prophet said, what translated means, group of this nation will be transformed into monkeys and swine." They said, "Do not they testify that there is no god except Allaah and that Muhammed is His Messenger?" He said, "Yes. And also they fast pray and perform Hajj." They said, "Then, what is their problem?" He said, "They use musical instruments, drums and female singers. (One day) they will go to sleep after a night of drinking and having fun, In the morning, they will be transformed (by Allaah) into monkeys and swine." [Iughathat Al-Lahfan].

4. Allaah said, criticizing the Kuffar's worship around the Kaa'bah, what translated means, "Their prayer at the House (Kaa'bah) was nothing but Muka'an and Tasdiyah." [8:35]. Ibn Abbas, Ibn Umar, Atiyyah, Muj ahid, Ad-Dhahh'ak, AlHasan and Qatadah said that Muka'an means whistling, and that Tasdiyah means clapping of hands.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sayings of the Scholars Regarding Music and Singing
Imam IbnTaymiyyah said, "Listening to music and sinful fun are among what strengthens the satanic ways the most. This is exactly what the disbeliever's used to do. Allaah said, And their prayer at the House (of Allaah) was nothing but Muka 'an and Tasdiyah. [8:35]. Ibn Abbas, ibn Umar and others said that Tasdiyah is clapping of hands, and that Muka'an is whistling. This was the Mushrikeen's way of worship. The Prophet and his companions worshipped Allaah , according to His order, in their prayer, reading the Qur'aan and Dhikr (supplication). It never occurred that the Prophet and his companions gathered to listen to singing that is accompanied by clapping or using drums."

Imam Ibn Taymiyyah also said regarding the person, whose habit is to listen to music, "His state of emotions becomes less passionate when he hears the Qur'aan. On the contrary, when he listens to instruments of the devil (music), he dances a lot. If the prayer is established, he either prays while sitting down or performs it as fast as when the roaster picks seeds. He dislikes listening to the Qur'aan and does not find beauty in it while reciting it. He has no taste for the Qur'aan and feels no love for it or pleasure when it is read. Rather, he finds pleasure if he listens to Mukaa' or Tasdiyah. These are satanic pleasures and he is among those whom Allaah mentioned in the Ayah, And whosoever turns away from the remembrance of the Most Beneficent (Allaah), We appoint for him Satan to be a companion for him. [43:36]." [Awliyaa' Ar-Rahman].

Imam Ibn Al-Qayyim said, "Of the tricks of the enemy of Allaah, Satan, that he uses to trap those who do not enjoy much intelligence, knowledge or sincerity in religion, are M ukaa' and Tasdiyah. These people of ignorance listen to and use musical instruments that are prohibited and which lead the hearts to abandoning the Qur'aan. These hearts are indulging in sin and disobedience of Allaah. Music, then, is Satan's Qur'aan and the barrier between one and Allaah. It is the way to sodomy and adultery. With it, the lover finds what he seeks and dreams of sinful love. Satan has trapped the weak hearts in the love of singing and made it beautiful to them. Satan reveals to his agents' fake proofs that they use as evidence to the beauty of singing. These people accept Satan's revelation and, as a consequence, abandon the Qur'aan. When you witness them while listening, you will find them silent in humbleness, sitting idle and their hearts are concentrating and totally enjoying music and singing. Their hearts will feel closer to music, as if they were drunk. They dance and move in a suggestive manner, like faggots and whores. And why not? They are drunk with the pleasure of listening to music and singing and act accordingly. For other than Allaah, and for Satan, there are hearts that are being broken by sin, and fortunes that are being spent for other than Allaah's Pleasure. They spend their lives in joyful fun and make a mockery of their religion. Instruments of the devil are sweeter to their ears than the Qur'aan. If one of them listens to the Qur'aan from beginning to end, it will have little effect or excitement on him. If Satan's Qur'aan is being performed and heard, they feel joy in their hearts and one can see it in their eyes. Their feet dance, their hands clap, their breathing intensifies and the rest of their bodies feel joy. O you who are trapped in this sin, you who have sold your share of Allaah to Satan, what a losing deal! Why not feels this joy when you listen to the Qur'aan? Why not feel pleasure and comfort when the Glorious Qur'aan is recited? But, everyone seeks what he feels is suitable for him, and ends up with what is really suitable for him." [Ighathat Al-Lahfan].

Sheikh Abdulaziz bin Baz was asked about listening to music and songs, "Is it Haram? I only listen to it for pleasure. What about playing the Rababah (a kind of guitar) and old songs? What about using drums in weddings?"

Sheikh Ibn Baz said, "Listening to music is Haram and a sin. It is a matter that leads to weakening the hearts and abandoning the Dhikr of Allaah and the prayer. The scholars said about the Ayah, And of' mankind he who purchases idle talks [31:6], that idle talks means singing. Abdullaah ibn Masud , the Prophet's companion, used to swear by Allaah that it is singing. If singing is accompanied by the Rababah, 'Ud (Arabic guitar), fiddles or drums, it is even more Haram. Any singing with any instrument is Haram and the scholars are unanimous on this. Therefore, Muslims must be aware of it. The Prophet said, "From among my nation there will be those who render as lawful adultery, silk (for men), AI-Khamr (alcohol) and musical instruments." [Al-Bukhari]. I advise you and others to read the Qur'aan and keep remembering Allaah. I advise you to listen to Qur'aanic programs on the radio. This way, one will find pleasure and will keep busy so he can stay away from music and songs. As for weddings, the Daff (tambourine) can be used along with innocent singing that does not call to sin. This can be done at night, only in weddings and only by and for women. These songs are a way of announcing an Islaamic marriage. The Sunnah of the Prophet supports the above. As for the drums, they are Haram all the time. The Daffis permitted in weddings and only for and by women."

Many Muslims today render music as permissible. This is due to their ignorance or outright defiance of the religion. We ask Allaah that we are among those who listen to the speech and follow the best of what it contains. These are the ones whom Allaah has guided and granted them the bounty of sanity and comprehending minds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ansari

STRANGER...
hey

:salam2:

my brother everyone listen to music i dont think its haram

what u will say about naats is it haram ???

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum

:bismillah:

Brother Shabaz,I don`t think thats the type of music the brother trying bring our attention to.

E.G Indian & English,Bengali,Black,Arabic

Free mixing women and men dancing together,Inappropriate & Unsuitable wordings used.

:wasalam:

mosabaig

The old sayings

There are many important commandaments of Allah which many of us in this time not following so much so that it seems they are new to our ears .......but remember they also carry a huge reward because they have to be brought back in the life ...it might take scrifice our desires but nothing goes un rewarded by the most generour :Allah:

ibnAbdullah87

I am refering to any kind of music with insturments. It is so wide spread amongst the muslim that us people that don't have much knowledge take it to be something that is allowed but it is not and the proofs are seficent.

Abu Hurayrah narrated that the Prophet said, what translated means, group of this nation will be transformed into monkeys and swine." They said, "Do not they testify that there is no god except Allaah and that Muhammed is His Messenger?" He said, "Yes. And also they fast pray and perform Hajj." They said, "Then, what is their problem?" He said, "They use musical instruments, drums and female singers. (One day) they will go to sleep after a night of drinking and having fun, In the morning, they will be transformed (by Allaah) into monkeys and swine." [Iughathat Al-Lahfan].

The hadeeth here shows that they fufill the obigations but they use musical instruments, drum and listen to female singers. And Allah will punish them in this world.

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member

JazakAllaahu khair brother, I couldn't have all these fatwas by the scolars (r.a.) but it's good that someone brought them about. Aay Allaah swt. help the muslim youth get rid of the music, which for some may be a bit hard to do(though a bit more taqwa and love for Allaah swt.: possible insha'Allaah), and strengthen our love towards listening to what is really healthy for our soul.. our beloved Qur'an. ;)

Karima

Asalamualikum,

Can you prove to me that God/Allah did not give me the gift of the ability to play the piano?

Sallam

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
Wow... I never thought of this, but upon reflection I have to admit - it's all just idle talk and distracts us from reality. Even the Christian music I listen to on the radio does intoxicate the mind to a certain degree, though for the most part none of the lyrics would be concidered objectionable.

There are many times in my day when I am fully concience; When I am in quiet thought and prayer to Allah, and all is well with me. I am alert, attentive to my responsibilities, and feel free of any sin (as best I can be). I am able to control my thoughts, feelings, and impulses.

However, even when I'm listening to "good" music this changes. I'm distracted, usually out of communication with Allah, and pondering over things to which I have no control. I become emotionally arroused, and am easily swayed from joy all the way to anger - joy might seem like a good thing in this situation, but it's not really joy of Allah's truth I'm happy about but rather joy of some person's words (which might reflect certain aspects of Allah, but still is an incomplete/inaccurate account with bits added and pieces removed) and the pleasant sounding instruments/sounds I'm listening to.

I can't deny how my pagan forefathers (I'm talking like hundreds/thousands of years ago) would dance around late-night fires to the beat of drums and extremely bizzare words, afterwards engaging in all sorts of questionable behaviour. How different are we today, listening to Eminem or Jays of Clay (Christian alternative-rock band) or even some of the Islamic artists I've heard?

Aaack - I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Being a Muslim isn't easy. I suppose I know that everything I sacrifice for the sake of Allah in this life will be rewarded in the next. Will angels play me harps and sing proper songs that glorify Allah and praise things that are pure and true? It's hard to imagine giving up my love of music, but at the same time I must ackowledge that I love Allah more than anything of this world - and that it is my desire to obey Him.

Soo... I can listen to radio talkshows and the Qu'ran, and that's it? Wait, I got the impression that I can listen to recorded sounds of nature, too. That might not be so bad - listen to the song of the Amazon Jungle? A thunderstorm over the crashing waves of the ocean? How about the sounds of sealife (dolphins, underwater effects, whales, crabs)? How about a Volcanno errupting? That might be cool =) Any thoughts, my scholarly family? ;D

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
Asalamualikum,

Can you prove to me that God/Allah did not give me the gift of the ability to play the piano?

Sallam

Erm yeah, I can: Your mother/father gave you that gift when they hired a piano teacher to spend hours and hours of your life learning how to read music, compose it, and play it effectively. You had to force yourself to teach your fingers how to move in the proper sequences in order to produce pleasing sounds.

Where's Allah in this equation? What meantion of music does He command in the Holy Books? What does the Qu'ran say about it, or the Haddiths? These are what God said to be true and pure gifts, and what he warns against too. Perhaps one of our brothers/sisters knows the specific chapters/verses that deal with this issue, and what Allah had to say about it in different contexts/situations that we had revealed to us.

And before you answer: Well God gave me my parents, therefore it must be alright - concider that parents also pass on lots of haram ideas; like superstition, pagan traditions (Christmas, Halloween, for example), drinking/smoking/drug-use ... etc

Abu.Amirah

Assalamau aleikum,

We need to seek knowledge and to learn everyday and not just pray and read Quran. We need to undertand & practise what was taught to us by the Prophet (s.a.w).This issue of Music has been a major topic and most people dont want to accept it because its in their veins.One cannot feel good until he/she listens to Music.Why do you need to listen to music? to relax your mind? You will find that we enjoy Music more than listening to Quran.
Why should we do what the christians do as to make music part of their prayers?
Other people claim that the coming generation will be in bad position due to other musics so its better we make our islamic music so that instead of them singing bluez or jazz they sing the islamic ones.I dont agree on this at all.
We follow the culture of the western and we have forgotten the way of life of our beloved (S.A.W).
Many Muslims sacrificed their lives for this religion until we could raise our flag high and now we want to make this religion to be of musicians?
We need to wake up,we are not here in this world forever and the time we have is so preciouse to us and we will be asked of how we used it.
What will you answer Allah(s.w) when you are asked of how you spent your time in this world? That I was listening to Sami Yusuf?
Do we really need to pass the message to the young generation through Music?
Please correct me if am wrong but we need to be careful on what we decide lets not do things which will lead the Ummah to the wrong way.

Jazakallahu kheir!

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
Asalamualikum,

Sallam

salaam alikom.
I know sister Karima its hard for you to give up something you been doing all your life ( playing piano) but inshallah maybe its a test from Allah for you!!?

Just remember the prophet peace be up on him said.
من عف نفسه عن شيء في الحرام أناله الله له في الحلال
Who ever modest (portect) him/her self in something haram Allah will give you the same in Halal

HOW ALLAH WILL GIVE YOU THE SAME IN HALAL HE KNOWS BEST

the point is its just not to prove something to you.... there are a lot of benifit in Alkhol but Allah told us in Quran the Harm in alkhol is more than its benifits ,that why is haram..there isnt any prove in quran that selling and buying Alkhol in Quran is Haram so dose it make it Halal to sell and buy without drinking them .. the benifit of selling them is hat you can make a gain a lot of money from selling beer and alkho and people who have gas stations can testify to this...and they can use this money for good matters like helping mosque etc... so dose it make it halal to sell them???? No because the propeht peace be up him told us it haram.

You saying you connect to god through Music, try to give up the music and connect to Allah through prostration Sajdah this the position when you are most close to Allah, you been playing piano all your life and its hard to just give up something you been doing all your life, but you need to try.

Allah told us through his prophet Allah gave us a lot of gifts that dosnt mean we can use them any way we want to , Allah told us through his propeht peace be up on him what allowed and whats not allowed in our religion there are limits the prophet peace be up him said
الرسول صلى الله عليه وسلم: "الحلال بين والحرام بين وبينهم أمور مشتبهات فمن ابتعد عن الشبهات فقد استبرأ لدينه وعرضه".

Prophet peace be up on him said..(The Halal is clear and the Haram is clear and in between them are ambivalent matters which many people do not know. Whoever guards himself against ambivalent matters has secured his deen and honour).

Please read this Q and answer from a shiekh.

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=5011&ln=eng&txt=pIANO

May Allah help you and us from falling in doubtfull matters
wa salaam alikom

samiha

---------
Staff member
Asalamualikum,

Sallam

look sis, none of us are trying to attack you or your piano playing skills, we are just here to learn. The basics of it is... do you spend the same time reading the Quran as playing music? Do you love the Quran more than music? Think about that for a while...

Will angels play me harps and sing proper songs that glorify Allah and praise things that are pure and true? It's hard to imagine giving up my love of music, but at the same time I must ackowledge that I love Allah more than anything of this world - and that it is my desire to obey Him.

Soo... I can listen to radio talkshows and the Qu'ran, and that's it? Wait, I got the impression that I can listen to recorded sounds of nature, too. That might not be so bad - listen to the song of the Amazon Jungle? A thunderstorm over the crashing waves of the ocean? How about the sounds of sealife (dolphins, underwater effects, whales, crabs)? How about a Volcanno errupting? That might be cool =) Any thoughts, my scholarly family? ;D

As far as I know it's fine to listen to sounds of nature as it will bring about the remembrance of Allah and his creation, but i'm pretty sure that in a Muslim perspective we have no mention of the Angels playing any musical instraments.... but we as humans can't comprehend the beauty of Paradise.
All the best.
:biggrin: :salam2:

Karima

music topic

Asalamualikum,
Asalamualikum,

look sis, none of us are trying to attack you or your piano playing skills, we are just here to learn. The basics of it is... do you spend the same time reading the Quran as playing music? Do you love the Quran more than music? Think about that for a while...

I do not sit at the piano as much as I read the Qur'an. The topic has been music, and that is 'haram'. In fact, I do more reading than playing the piano.

The simple fact that music is haram is easy...when discussing music at bars, songs about lovers, etc......

I am just looking for a man-made rule on this or the actual curse of God/Allah, should I sit and play the piano?

Sallam

mosabaig

Dawaa, Imaan and Piety

Assalaam O Alakum

Real question is what we think of our din, Is it just Ibaadah and rewards, or do we have same responcibility as our prophet of spreading our din, because then like the prophet and sahabah we wouldnot have time to entertain our self like the others, then we would have full yakeen that we would have these pleasures and more in Jannah

This world and its pleasures are nothing compare to Jannah, so this is a place for diffrent purpose........

Islam is much deeper and life of Prophet is the best example of what Allah wants from us .......did the prophet ever listen to music

Karima

Asalamualikum,

This discussion keeps going further.....music for 'entertainment' is haram...

...about the prophet listening to music....or jesus....or moses....or abraham....listening to music....What did David do in psalms....played music on his harp for God....not for entertainment....

So is it a curse from God/Allah when I sit to play the piano?...not for entertainment.....but for praise inside myself with beautiful notes?...to hear with our ears....just as delicious food for our tongues that we enjoy eating...and the beautiful sunsets for our eyes to see.....

samiha

---------
Staff member
Asalamualikum,

This discussion keeps going further.....music for 'entertainment' is haram...

...about the prophet listening to music....or jesus....or moses....or abraham....listening to music....What did David do in psalms....played music on his harp for God....not for entertainment....

So is it a curse from God/Allah when I sit to play the piano?...not for entertainment.....but for praise inside myself with beautiful notes?...to hear with our ears....just as delicious food for our tongues that we enjoy eating...and the beautiful sunsets for our eyes to see.....

Ummmmmmmm.... excuse me no disrespect but I don't recall Dawood (alayhi sallam) ever played music. perhaps it would be best if you read a muslim biography of the prophets peace be upon all of them. You see, music for entertainment and otherwise is still music. I am a Muslim, i can call myself an American but i'm still muslim. Music can be for entertainment or otherwise but it is still music.

bluey

Im confused....U say all forms of drums and music and musical instruments and singing are haraam...women singers are damned...all who listen to music turn to swine and monkeys????

Yet later you say women CAN sing, and that the tambourine is allowed ( unless I am totally daft - that IS a a musical instrument ) and that at weddings women should sing to announce a marriage????

So is singing and music allowed or disallowed? As I understand haram is HARAM. HALAL is HALAL and there is a grey area in between, of which if you are doubtful to avoid .

Yes, buts... dont work for me.

As sis Karima said - where did one's talent of playing instuments come if not by Allah's Beneficience? Shaitan doesnt have such abilities, Im sure.

Reciting Islamic poetry to the accompaniment of the oud and other Middle eastern instruments - HARAM?

I see it as Allah having provided mankind with abilities and intelligence. What you do with music that is created is important, to fall under its spell is decidedly wrong I agree. But to teach a child to love Allah through a simple musical piece - HARAM? My little niece goes about chanting - "I Love Allah" to the tune of "Are you sleeping" - what she is being taught is HARAM? I only see it as what ALLAH has created for mankind - do not forget we have free will and A BRAIN. Use it well - it will help you in our continuous struggle to reach Allah swt. Fail to use it - music, instuments , singing well - then you join the DARK SIDE....lol.

Just me thots...:cool:

samiha

---------
Staff member
Misunderstood

What is the opinion of Islam (al-hukm al-shara) on the singing ?

Fatwa

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds, and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

There are many types of singing. Each kind has a different rule. 1- If the singing contains any musical instrument, then it is Haram for both men and women. 2- Many scholars have sanctioned prohibition of listening to the musical instruments. Among them are IMAM QURTUBI, AL-TABARI, IBN AS-SALAH, IBN RAJAB, IBN AL QAYYIM and IBN HAJAR AL-HATAMI. IMAM QURTUBI said: Listening to reeds, strings, drums etc. is Haram. I do not know a jurist in the past or the present permitted it. How would it not be Haram? This is the motto of drinkers, dissolutes and shameless people. If the matter is as stated here, then nobody doubts its prohibition and nobody denies that whoever uses these things is a disobedient". This is narrated by IBN HAJAR AL-HAITAMI in his famous book “AL ZAWAJIR MIN IQTIRAFIL KABAIR”. As regards (DUFF) Tambourine, it is permitted for women in the occasions of EID & marriage. 2 – If the singing is not accompanied by a musical instrument, it is of two kinds: A. Singing of women for men. This is absolutely Haram. Islam forbids women from calling for the AZAN and reciting the Qur'an in the presence of men. If a woman sings for ladies saying something containing good words, then it is permitted. B. Singing of a man. If he is singing good poetry that involves good subjects, then many jurists have permitted it. If it contains bad things like calling to depravity, abomination or describing a woman's body, etc. then it is prohibited.

Allah knows best

btw- it didn't mention children... they don't count

And on the playing of piano, change the guitar to piano

Is it legal in Islam to play the guitar as a hobby ?

Fatwa

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Allah says: {And of Mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing…etc.) to mislead (men) from the path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the path of Allah, the verses of the Qur’an) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment in the Hell-fire} [31:6] This verse is an explanatory apposition of what proceeds it which explains the state of the (M‘uhsinu’n) good-doers who perform Salah, give Zakah and believe faithfully in the Hereafter. Allah mentioned that those who refuse to profit from Allah’s words, and who prefer listening to music & songs will be humiliated in the Hell-fire. According to Ibn Kathir, al-Hassan al-Basri explained the verse [31:6] above as being revealed on singing and music. But this is only if the person is too inclined to these things. Taking singing and playing the guitar as hobbies is unlawful. One instead should use his leisure time in lawful and useful matters in this life and the Hereafter. Listening to music is unlawful for the following Hadith: The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “A time will come where people will make adultery, fornication, silk, guitars and wine lawful”. So, as long as listening to music was counted among these unlawful things, it shouldn’t then be taken as a hobby. Allah knows best.

Status
Not open for further replies.