"Friendly Debate" with Christians

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

Several of my brothers on my Facebook are involved on a site supporting "Friendly Debate" between Christianity and Islam. These friendly debates, to me eyes, look like arguing.

Avoiding the "facebook is haraam!!!" discussion here please, am I not mistaken that we have been forbidden to argue with non-believers? If we say "this is the Truth" and they are not interested in hearing it and try to argue, aren't we just to turn and walk away?

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:salam2:
brother,one day I was talking with two catholic ortodox women about Islam.I started saying them that there was no power in the cross that they worshipped and that jesus didn't die,but he'll come one day and he will testify to the disbelievers that he only was a prophet.I told them that in Islam there is no intercession between us and God,we worship Allah without associating to Him any partner,while the most number of the christian sects do it habitually.They tried to drive the converstaion to the fact that women in Islam aren't really free to express themselves.then I answered them with this question:<do you really think to feel free,when you dress so or so,and do you really feel trustful when your husband goes to work and he maybe has another woman,or do you doubt about your husband everyday,because you fear he'll look to another woman with desire?>
They had nothing to answer
on the other hand the first woman was concerned about the matter and she told me that she would have gone to read the Quran to learn more,while the other one was firmly convinced about her creed.I left them with respect of their opinions,but there is nothing bad in making a friendly debate with christians:)

Hatty

They tried to drive the conversation to the fact that women in Islam aren't really free to express themselves.

Actually according to Christianity women are deprived of owning a property, running a business, having education, inheriting, divorcing their husbands, 300 years ago the church was debating if women had a soul or not...

They are trying to attribute what women gained via the feminist movement to Christianity. Which is misleading.....

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Engage in an argument with them is a waste of time. My friend asked me, can you win an argument with a fool? I said of course not. I think the best is have a friendly dialogue not debate.

Kakorot

:wasalam:

If you feel like what youre saying isn't going anywhere with them, then it's best to just walk away.

So long you convey the message of Islam (tawheed) and if theyre still not interested, well at least you done your bit.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Asalaamu alaikum -

Several of my brothers on my Facebook are involved on a site supporting "Friendly Debate" between Christianity and Islam. These friendly debates, to me eyes, look like arguing.

Avoiding the "facebook is haraam!!!" discussion here please, am I not mistaken that we have been forbidden to argue with non-believers? If we say "this is the Truth" and they are not interested in hearing it and try to argue, aren't we just to turn and walk away?

When I read this, the 6th verse in soorat Al-Baqrah popped into my head.

There are just some people that were never meant to see the truth as Allaah says "..Sawaa'un `alayhim a'andhartahum am lam tundhirhum laa yu'minoon"- "...it is the same to them whether you warn them or do not warn them, they will not believe."
The prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam was told to not waste his time and energy on such people.. They don't deserve his concern or sympathy. And Allaah tabaaraka wa ta'aalaa said to him(in many verses), "..You are only a warner.." - "..You were sent only as a warner.." and "..your duty is only to Convey(the message)"

So, best thing to do with those denyers of haqq is to leave them be; walk away, as you said !

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
When I read this, the 6th verse in soorat Al-Baqrah popped into my head.

There are just some people that were never meant to see the truth as Allaah says "..Sawaa'un `alayhim a'andhartahum am lam tundhirhum laa yu'minoon"- "...it is the same to them whether you warn them or do not warn them, they will not believe."
The prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam was told to not waste his time and energy on such people.. They don't deserve his concern or sympathy. And Allaah tabaaraka wa ta'aalaa said to him(in many verses), "..You are only a warner.." - "..You were sent only as a warner.." and "..your duty is only to Convey(the message)"

So, best thing to do with those denyers of haqq is to leave them be; walk away, as you said !

Asalamo'Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa barakaatuh,

Jazaakillahu Khayraa. This is a lesson for me and a good reminder.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
Asalaamu alaikum -

Wa alaikumassalam warahmatullah,
Personally akhi,I wouldn't devate,since debate requires a lot of knowledge and understanding of deen.Oh I have been in long winded arguments and there is a lesson that I learnt.It is for Allah to guide and for us to convey the message and it is no use to argue with haters.
Provide proof and evidences,if they accept,well and good ,if they reject well and good,nothing further is required.Lakum deenukum waliyadeen.Time and energy should not be wasted in arguing with those whose hearts have been sealed and eyes have been blinded by hate.Instead it should be channeled towards spreading message of Islam and inviting people.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
Engage in an argument with them is a waste of time. My friend asked me, can you win an argument with a fool? I said of course not. I think the best is have a friendly dialogue not debate.

if you want to make the fool interested to an argument you should think like him and pose the matters under the point of view he can understand better.that's why many times the people I've talked about Islam had nothing to respond,indeed!they felt confused about hearing what christianism denies...a good debate is a pill of health for the ones whose hearts maybe Allah wants to open towards Him:ma: