Gaza families eat grass as Israel locks border

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Marie Colvin, Times
December 13, 2008

AS a convoy of blue-and-white United Nations trucks loaded with food waited last night for Israeli permission to enter Gaza, Jindiya Abu Amra and her 12-year-old daughter went scrounging for the wild grass their family now lives on.

"We had one meal today - khobbeizeh," said Abu Amra, 43, showing the leaves of a plant that grows along the streets of Gaza. "Every day, I wake up and start looking for wood and plastic to burn for fuel and I beg. When I find nothing, we eat this grass."

Abu Amra and her unemployed husband have seven daughters and a son. Their tiny breeze-block house has had no furniture since they burnt the last cupboard for heat.

"I can’t remember seeing a fruit," said Rabab, 12, who goes with her mother most mornings to scavenge. She is dressed in a tracksuit top and holed jeans, and her feet are bare.

Conditions for most of the 1.5m Gazans have deteriorated dramatically in the past month, since a truce between Israel and Hamas, the ruling Islamist party, broke down.

Israel says it will open the borders again when Hamas stops launching rockets at southern Israel. Hamas says it will crack down on the rocket launchers when Israel opens the borders.

The fragile truce technically ends this Thursday, and there have been few signs it will be renewed. Nobody knows how to resolve the stalemate. Secret talks are under way through Egyptian intermediaries, although both sides deny any contact.

Israel controls the borders and allows in humanitarian supplies only sporadically. Families had electricity for six hours a day last week. Cooking gas was available only through the illegal tunnels that run into Egypt, and by last week had jumped in price from 80 shekels per canister (£14) to 380 shekels (£66).

The UN, which has responsibility for 1m refugees in Gaza, is in despair. "The economy has been crushed and there are no imports or exports," said John Ging, director of its relief and works agency.

"Two weeks ago, for the first time in 60 years, we ran out of food," he said. "We used to get 70 to 80 trucks per day, now we are getting 15 trucks a day, and only when the border opens. We’re living hand to mouth."

He has four days of food in stock for distribution to the most desperate - and no idea whether Israel will reopen the border. The Abu Amra family may have to eat wild grass for the foreseeable future.

http://www.uruknet.de/?p=m49571&hd=&size=1&l=e

salam alaykum

terrible ...i hope all of the muslims who help the kuffars despie knowing what they r doing to their brothers and sisters get a taste of this also!

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
:salam2:

La Hawla Wala Quwwata Illa Billah

This is the situation of the ummah. We are the people who had power over the world. That was the time we were in good iiman and unity. Both of them has gone now. How true is the word of messenger?

We are huge in number without ANY power today. We cannot gain our power back without firm iiman and unity. Its time to start from ourselves and our family. It seems that our current affairs is more important for us than our ummah. Brothers and sisters don't think we can do nothing for our brothers and sisters who are suffering. We have the most powerful weapon in our hands. It is dua. So let us lift our hands up, cry and ask from ALLAH (swt). We are all sons and daughters of Adam and Hawwa ('alaihimussalam).

May ALLAH (swt) protect our ummah and grant us unity.

wassalam

-brother IbnAdam-

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
salam alaykum

terrible ...i hope all of the muslims who help the kuffars despie knowing what they r doing to their brothers and sisters get a taste of this also!

No more starbucks for me....I will never support the Zionist. and ugh....Zionist will get it back soon.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

it's truly amazing, how this stuff can go on to the extent that it does and it has not earned the outrage that it deserves around the world. i understand that the US and Israel are strong allies and are very powerful, but my goodness if the rest of the world would stand up, something can be done to make things better over there. it's mindblowing.

i know that there is video footage on the internet on the atrocities being caused by the Israeli government against the brothers and sisters of Palestine, but curious people have to look that up on their own. how come this isn't on CNN, FOX, BBC, ITN, RAI and other major news outlets? it truly leaves me puzzled.
:wasalam:

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer

it's truly amazing, how this stuff can go on to the extent that it does and it has not earned the outrage that it deserves around the world. i understand that the US and Israel are strong allies and are very powerful, but my goodness if the rest of the world would stand up, something can be done to make things better over there. it's mindblowing.

i know that there is video footage on the internet on the atrocities being caused by the Israeli government against the brothers and sisters of Palestine, but curious people have to look that up on their own. how come this isn't on CNN, FOX, BBC, ITN, RAI and other major news outlets? it truly leaves me puzzled.
:wasalam:

Well there are people who try very hard to bring these issues to the public's attention, sadly the Status Que of American politics and news media is so powerful that a new and relatively weak group of people cannot do much.

This story is so sad, made me cry...SubhanAllah and I thought I just hit the bottom, my trouble is nothing compare to theirs.

May Allah give them good!

you might find these website interesting. They talk about Palestinian issues a lot.
www.counterpunch.com

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

May Allah subhana talla reward our suffering brothers and sisters. May Allah subhana talla open doors for us to help them.

Google is now part of the system to prevent the spreading of truth.

Salaam,

May Allah subhana talla reward our suffering brothers and sisters. May Allah subhana talla open doors for us to help them.

Google is now part of the system to prevent the spreading of truth.

google always was part of the system cause they r kuffars.....

rieszky

Subhanallah

This is what happens when muslims are not united...muslim leaders seems useless nowadays....about 1.5 billion of muslim in this world can't fight the ponds of yahoods...that is a ridiculous situation to watch...

the yahoods will keep on attacking the palestanian if other muslim country not standing behind the palestine people...the main and sole reason of the continuous attack is because some muslim have ignore and not being consent to this related issue and are too arragont in their own lifestyle...many priorities their fashion outfit,dangling blinking jewelleries,dancing like a mad dog in the club,huge cars,big mansion and much more of the dunya related things than the afterworld....that is the main problem,that is why ALLAH have grant us muslim being terrorise by the kufars!

We have done many things that have been forbid for us,but some of us ignore it! We ignore rasulullah's teaching! We ignore ALLAH!!!Subhanallah when are all of this are going to end if we muslim didnt ended it with strong iman!

We muslim should banished the evil inside us before we banished the evil kufars!
:tti_sister:

dna1987

Muslim Guy
All this news is making me so sad. I feel completely helpless...that's not the right word - I feel useless.

safiya58

selam,
I agree with u guys, if we want to change our situation we have to change ourself first. Some wonder why nobody knows about the dimension of the suffering of Palesstinans but even when the media reports about it, does this really matter? would something change? would we suddenly become perfect muslims and stand up to fight for rights? would we willing to make sacrefices of our comfortable life? to be quite honest the majority of our ummah is involved to their own life.... tooooooooooo much! It is not only Palestine the situation of the Uygur Turks is not better but who ever heart about them... How many Tchechen sisters were raped... have we forgotten the victims of Abu Graib? and also in Afghanistan there is no security......... shame on us!

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

I wonder if there is still even a grass left after zionists' burning attacks! Now they are gathering tanks and bulldogers to the borders of Gaza and are ready to destroy and burn also olive trees and agriculture areas.

:angryblue:

SwordofAllah16

Heros of Islam
No more starbucks for me....I will never support the Zionist. and ugh....Zionist will get it back soon.

~:salam2:

beleive me they have alot of business industries helping them donating sooo much money just so they can succeed in their plans. but yes we should all really cut down on buying stuff from these places who support the oppression of the ummah of Muhammad :saw: