Help please....I am fed up!!!

IluvIslame

Assalamu 3alaikom brothers and sisters,

I recently got married and Al Hamdolilah I am extremely happy with my husband. We are a young couple. My husband is 23 and I am 21 years old. So you can imagine that we are just starting our life and trying to build our future. The problem is the father of my husband. Since my husband first started working at age of 22, he told him that he needs to pay him 1000$ every month. Even if my husband had a wedding to pay for etc... My husband accepted because he knows his father and he doesn't want to start problems. But deep inside, he wished that he didn't have to pay him all of this specially since he just started working and wanted to make money to get married etc... Plus his father has a lot of money and is not in need. Now I just got to know that his dad wants him to pay back EVERYTHING he did for him. That is including FOOD, SHELTER, CLOTHES, EDUCATION just EVERYTHING since he was a child or maybe a teen i am not sure. He even made him sing checks of 9000$ since he was in University just to make sure he gets his money back. So basically he told my husband that he needs to pay the 1000$ which is considered nafaqa PLUS all of the "loans" that I mentioned above. Also, he wants him to go and move to the country he is living in and live in their home and pay RENT, because my husband is an engineer and has field work so sometimes i stay alone in my house (I NEVER leave the house when my husband is away) and his father doesn't like that so he says he wants us to live in the same house so that i can be watched at all time and taken care of. I don't know if its a trust issue but 7ass Biya Lah Wa Na3mal Wakeel...Everything we want to do, we have to get his permission. I just want to know how can my husband deal with all this without being a bad son?? He doesn't want to cut his father out and neither do I, but we cant stay like this it's going to kill us plus we want to save money and build our future and our kids future... Plz help any advice would be good!

Salam 3alaikom

revert2007

Love Fishing
Wow...I am sure he is not arab.
Well this trend is common for asian and guess what it is a huge burden for the kids.Why do the children need to pay back every single thing to the parents?i personally don't think the children need to pay back whatever the parents have spent on them
Parents job is to raise the children without expecting anything in return.It is every parents duty to help the children whenever they are in trouble and not to burden the children.

For arabs they do not expect anything frm the children and even they parents continue to "raise" them even the children are very old like 30 or 40 and plus the parents help to "raise" their grandchildren.

They try their best to give the best life to their kids and they do not ask anything in return.

Well am not being bias but this is the fact of the culture.In asian country once the children start to work,they must start paying back to their parents.

Well it is not a generalization or judgement but that is how things are.there might be some unique families of asian countries who dont ask anything in return but overall the children have to pay back.

Anyway this decision should be taken by ur husband.no one has the right to force.he should take care of his parents but at the same time he doenst need to pay back every single penny spent on him.there is no such thing in quran neither do in hadith

Summer03

3doTs2sQuares
Salam.

Sister revert, I don't remember reading and finding anything that says the are
not Arab in the post, so where did you get that?

Secondly, sister 'iluvislam' the best advice I can give sis is that your husband and you need to talk to your father in law. It's the only way I see that will settle things. Tell him to let you settle down first for a while, make money for your new family first and then later on, start to give him his money once you've managed on your own.

May Allah swt ease your hardship at this moment and may He swt guide you to a solution that will suit you all!

Salamu alaikum.

rightpath_357

Oh God sis- maybe your husband could explain to his father that he NEEDS the money, and his reward was getting to watch his son grow up and lead a successful life.:)

btw- sister revert2007, i think the first few lines of your reply were racist :(
I've known many honest and good Asians who would never even DREAM of doing such a thing. And not all Arabs are honest. It's not the race that matters- it's the person as an INDUVISUAL. :)

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
assalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh respected sister in Islam

The best advice I can offer you is to visit a scholar/ ask by phone/email etc regarding your issue. It is not a small problem.

InshaAllah you will be in my Du'as.

wassalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

revert2007

Love Fishing
Salam.

Sister revert, I don't remember reading and finding anything that says the are
not Arab in the post, so where did you get that?

Secondly, sister 'iluvislam' the best advice I can give sis is that your husband and you need to talk to your father in law. It's the only way I see that will settle things. Tell him to let you settle down first for a while, make money for your new family first and then later on, start to give him his money once you've managed on your own.

May Allah swt ease your hardship at this moment and may He swt guide you to a solution that will suit you all!

Salamu alaikum.

I mean I guess he is not arab but surprisingly he is.This is very strange though.Well then it is a very rare issue by the way.

revert2007

Love Fishing
Oh God sis- maybe your husband could explain to his father that he NEEDS the money, and his reward was getting to watch his son grow up and lead a successful life.:)

btw- sister revert2007, i think the first few lines of your reply were racist :(
I've known many honest and good Asians who would never even DREAM of doing such a thing. And not all Arabs are honest. It's not the race that matters- it's the person as an INDUVISUAL. :)

It is nothing to do with race but it is to do with culture.I didnt say chinese or indian or whatever race they could be.i said asian.just because we dont know they do these thinsg well it is in teh culture of asians by the way.u can ask any asians if u want.they will say yes once they start working especially for the males they need to pay back so that their sisters can get married and so on.

I said arabs do not ask for pay back coz thats what i know and what i see.even if they lend money to their freind they wont ask back because it is not in their culture.

i am asian married to arab and i can see the huge difference by the way.as i said it is not generalization or judgemental but it is fact about the culture they are belong to.where do thsi race comes from in the firts place?i did not mention any race.i mention nation and country.

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
It is nothing to do with race but it is to do with culture.I didnt say chinese or indian or whatever race they could be.i said asian.just because we dont know they do these thinsg well it is in teh culture of asians by the way.u can ask any asians if u want.they will say yes once they start working especially for the males they need to pay back so that their sisters can get married and so on.

I said arabs do not ask for pay back coz thats what i know and what i see.even if they lend money to their freind they wont ask back because it is not in their culture.

i am asian married to arab and i can see the huge difference by the way.as i said it is not generalization or judgemental but it is fact about the culture they are belong to.where do thsi race comes from in the firts place?i did not mention any race.i mention nation and country.
Even I felt that only :(

Khali

This story is depresing, but this thread is depressing by directing the blame on the people of X race. I mean people are people, thier is good and bad people in every culture/race. I would consult a scholar if he listens to any. islam teaches us to be good to our parents since they took care of his since we were born. I don't think what he is doing has anything to do w/ Islam, since he is not in need of the money. I would try and put myself in the father shoes to have a better understanding of why he requests his son to pay him back for taking care of him. Try and see if your husband can talk to his father (being humble of course and sincere)about waving the payment, so he can raise his children and do good for this ummah by helping this ummah thru sadaqah ect. This needs to be resolved between the father and son asap, imo.

aisha16

Sigh, I really feel for you. And I'm really happy to see a young couple that's married, may Allah bless your marriage.

I think you should have your husband talk to his dad one on one. He could tell him exactly all that you said. Just continue to make duaa sis....really sad to hear this. But my duass are with you sis.

Wa alaykum assalam

miq1

Praise be to Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

Perhaps your husband can buy his father a present and then directly give it to him, such as a watch. This may have the effect of softening his heart. And then the son may speak in a polite manner with his father and tell him about the financial burden it is causing him to have to repay when he is newly married.

If the father is religiously inclined, then he should be told in a polite manner that spending on one's children is part of the responsibility a parent owes the child, in the religion of Allah (The Glorified and Exalted). The parents are not expected to be repaid. However, the children should spend reasonably on their elderly parents, if the parents are not financially well-off.

And Allah (The Glorified and Exalted) Knows Best.

rightpath_357

oh!!!!! just thought of something else!!!!!!!!!!:D

maybe your husband- if the frst talk dozent work- pay half of what is demanded back at once- and the other half at the other time

btw- for sister Revert2007- thnx 4 "Lighting my Candle"- giving me more knowlege.:D But not everyone is like that. Actually- most give their children money even when they have a job- :D- but the children give it back becuz they don't want to take aything extra from their beloved parents- not directly- but in the form of a gift :D MashAllah :)

:hearts:

IluvIslame

. I would try and put myself in the father shoes to have a better understanding of why he requests his son to pay him back for taking care of him. Try and see if your husband can talk to his father (being humble of course and sincere)about waving the payment, so he can raise his children and do good for this ummah by helping this ummah thru sadaqah ect. This needs to be resolved between the father and son asap, imo.
I used to think the way you think and i told my husband (my fiance back then) to try and talk to him and make him understand but my husband used to always tell me that he cant talk to him because his father doesn't want to listen....whats in his head will stay that way. Do you know how many times my husband talked about this. Do you know how stressed my husband is about this issue. But he is stuck!!! Now that i got married I really got to know everything and he was right, you cant talk to him. Thank you all for your advice but it looks like i have to go with the flow and put my trust in God and inshallah all will be well...

IluvIslame

Praise be to Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

Perhaps your husband can buy his father a present and then directly give it to him, such as a watch. This may have the effect of softening his heart. And then the son may speak in a polite manner with his father and tell him about the financial burden it is causing him to have to repay when he is newly married..
you know once he bought him a cellphone for his birthday and his father refused it because it's haram to celebrate such occasions. Now that is true but I couldn't believe he rejected the gift!!! It will be very hard to soften his heart plus his father really thinks that he is right and if my husband tells him he was wrong and gave him proof that a scholar told him he was wrong he would say " you shouldn't believe all scholars because some are fake"... It is a very hard situation and we really don't know what to do!

arzafar

yeah it's an asian culture thing and a lot of what we follow originates from hinduish/buddist culture.
however, im confused about this issue. although a couple should live separately i think for a man, parents come first! but im a brainwashed pakistani. *

SO here is an answer in light of islam (islamqa.com)

To what extent can the husband’s relatives interfere in his wife’s life?
What are the rights of the in-laws (the husband’s brothers and sisters) in Islam? Do the father- and mother-in-law have the right of obedience? Do they have the right to enter my room with or without permission? To what extent should I obey them with regard to my clothing, cooking, childcare, keeping house and going out of the house? Do they have the right to interfere in our marital life? Do they have any rights with regard to our work, where we live, education and the like? Do I have to ask their permission to visit my family? Do they have the right to know all the details about our life? Do I have to obey them and shake hands with my husband’s relatives? Do my husband and I have to attend weddings in which there are haraam things?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The wife does not have to obey anyone among her in-laws, whether that is her husband’s father, mother, brothers or sisters, in any matter, major or minor, unless they tell her to do something which is obligatory according to Islam, or forbid her to do something that is haraam. In such matters she has to obey, whether that comes from a relative or a stranger, an in-law or anyone else.

With regard to the husband, she must obey him in matters that are right and proper, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allaah has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their means…”

[al-Nisa’ 4:34]

Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, discussing some of the husband’s rights over his wife:

Allaah has given the husband rights and commanded the wife to obey him; He has forbidden her to disobey him because of the fact that he excels her and maintains her. Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 1/493

It is not permissible for any of your in-laws to enter your room without your permission, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Enter not houses other than your own, until you have asked permission and greeted those in them; that is better for you, in order that you may remember”

[al-Noor 24:27]

If any of them enters your room with your permission but he is not one of your mahrams – such as your husband’s brother – then there has to be one of your mahrams present, so that there will be no haraam khulwah between you (i.e., being alone together). You must also observe full shar’i hijab, and be certain that there is no risk of falling into fitnah (temptation).

Despite all these conditions, it is still better for him not to enter upon you in your room; this is purer for the heart and farthest removed from suspicion. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And when you ask (his wives) for anything you want, ask them from behind a screen, that is purer for your hearts and for their hearts”

[al-Ahzaab 33:53]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Beware of entering upon women.” A man from among the Ansaar said, “What about the in-law, O Messenger of Allaah?” He said, “The in-law is death.”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5232; Muslim, 2172.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

With regard to the Prophet’s words “The in-law is death,” what this means is that there is more fear with regard to him than anyone else, and evil is to be expected of him, and the fitnah (temptation) is greater because he is able to reach the woman and be alone with her without anyone denouncing that, unlike the case of one who is a stranger. What is meant by “in-law” (hamu) here is the relatives of the husband apart from his father/grandfather and sons/grandsons. Fathers/grandfathers and sons/grandsons are mahrams for his wife and it is permissible for them to be alone with her. The word “death” here does not refer to them. Rather what is meant is the brother, brother’s son, paternal uncle, cousin, etc, who are not mahrams. People are usually careless about this matter and a man may let his wife be alone with his brother. This is what is referred to by “death” and should be prevented more than her being alone with a stranger for the reasons mentioned above.

They do not have the right to force you to do any of the things you mention, such as how to cook, how to dress or other things such as working and teaching etc, unless that is by way of advice and kind treatment, not by way of compulsion.

It is not permissible for them to interfere in your and your husband’s private affairs, but if they convince your husband not to go out on trips and he tells you to stay in the house, then obey your husband, and be patient and seek reward.

You do not have to ask permission from any of them to visit your family; that is not their right. You have to ask your husband’s permission, and if he gives you permission then you do not have to ask permission from any of them.

They do not have the right to know the details of your life (you and your husband), and it is not permissible for your husband to tell them of any private or intimate matters between the two of you.

Your husband has to honour his parents, and you should help him in that. You should not be the cause of a split between him and them. You will see the consequences of that in your children in sha Allah.

Your husband’s visits to his parents should be on the basis of need. Something may happen to his parents which requires their son to visit them a great deal, such as sickness and the like. You husband has to pay attention to that.

With regard to your serving them and doing housework, you are not obliged to do that, but if you do it as an act of kindness towards them, or to please your husband, that will be good and you will have the reward for that in sha Allaah. This is something that will raise your status in the eyes of your husband and his family in this world, and will raise you in status in the Hereafter too, in sha Allah.

With regard to your living separately, your husband has to ensure that you have a place where you can live separately, but there is nothing wrong with his parents living in the same place with you if the house is big enough, and if that will not cause you any harm.

With regard to your life being under scrutiny, his parents have no right to dominate your life. Try to communicate in a proper manner with your husband and reach an understanding. If he can resolve the matter, all well and good, otherwise there is nothing wrong with you speaking to his family in a wise and mature manner. If they do not respond and the situation continues as it is, then be patient and seek reward from Allaah.

With regard to your shaking hands with men who are not your mahrams, this is haraam. There is no obedience to any created being if it involves disobedience towards the Creator. For more information on the ruling on shaking hands with a non-mahram, see question no. 21183.

It is not permissible for your husband to go to wedding parties in which there is noise and sin. For more information see question no. 10957.

Finally…

Our advice to husbands is that they should honour their parents with regard to that which is right and proper, but they should not obey them if they transgress the limits set by Allaah, or help them in wrongdoing, which includes mistreating their sons’ wives. They should discuss with them in a way that is better and not prevent them from obeying Allaah. They should be strong in adhering to the truth and confront those who stand in the way of their implementing the laws of Allaah in their homes, because the Muslim does not acknowledge any authority over him except the Qur’aan and Sunnah. They should also beware of those who call them to commit sin.

If the husband thinks that the interests of sharee’ah dictate that he should keep his wife and his family apart, then there is nothing wrong with him doing that.

We should be tolerant and be patient with one another, and we should not forget to be kind to one another. We should speak to one another in kindness and be patient, and ward off evil with that which is better. We should speak well to the slaves of Allaah until we meet Allaah.

Allaah is the One Whom we ask to set all our affairs straight. May Allaah send blessings upon our Prophet Muhammad.

*edit: LOL! (i had forgotten to add one of these.)

niqaabis

:salam2:sister,is it about the money leaving your husband's bank account or are you thinking about yourself, you are both young and so inshaAllah will save in the future, but as to now let your husband pay that money without any interference from you, remember you are new to the family,you have no idear what went on before, this is an issue that is between your husband and his father, just be patient.The father is the exception. He has the right to get back the gifts. A person came to the Prophet(SAW) and said: " Messenger of Allah,
my father wants to take all my property." He replied: "You and your property (all) belong to your father."
"The majority of scholars are of the opinion that it is forbidden to take back a gift that one gives to somebody even if such person is one's brohter/sister or spouse. The only exception is in respect to what a father gives as a gift to his child. The father can get back whatever he gives his son/daughter as a gift. This is based on the hadith reported on the authority of Ibn `Abbas and Ibn `Umar that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "It is not lawful for a man to give gift and afterwards to take it back except a father regarding what he gives his child. The parable of one who gives a gift and then takes it back is like the parable of a dog which eats till when it is satisfied, it vomits and then takes his vomiting back." (Reported by Abu Dawud, An-Nasa'i, Ibn Majah, and At-Tirmidhi)"

revert2007

Love Fishing
To everyone

Just because one person said I am racist that doesn't mean I am racist.It depends on my intention.Just because certain things might be hurtful for some people that doesn't mean we should hide those stuffs.One meat is another man's poison.

We cannot judge a nation or culture just by meeting 1 or 2 people who are living with u in western country.If u want to know the culture u must go to that country and live with them and see how they are.I am an Asian so why would i insult my own people?

The majority culture is that way.
Allah said He created us into nations and tribes to get to know each other.

So we must learn others culture whether it is good or bad.

The reason i bring up this because i don't want others to do the same to their kids.

People thing kids are an investment where they raise them and give education and asking something in return.

When someone talk about the western people isn't that racist as well?but why we freely insult and comment on them?it is their culture to be half nude and drink alcohol and so on.so why do we insult them?

I am sorry I can't post things according to what people want to hear but i have to post facts.

Is it that bad if we know this is a culture and we should start changing ourselves from now onwards?

In Islam yes it is our obligatory to take care the parents.But we have to see again in what terms it is said.

In the culture the males always take the burden and they must forget about their marriage so that their sisters can get married.so he needs to work hard to pay back the parents and make sure his sisters can get married.this is a part of the culture let be Muslims or non Muslims.

If there are any parents here,plz think twice before burdening the kids.we raise them because they are our amanah and we shouldn't ask anything in return.if the kids want to give money and help and let that be with his own will and we are not suppose to give rules to him that he must pay money monthly.

My mom until today keep on complaining and asking me money to repay back whatever she has done to me.I am one of the victim here by the way.

Life will be much better if we follow the Islamic rules.

Good comes from Allah and bad comes from my weak self
Assalamualikum

Allah knows the best

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Salaamalaikum,

Sister revert shared something with us that she has personally observed and come across, in this case among asians. This doesn't make one *racist*.

I think sister rightpath, being a young one perhaps doesn't fully grasp the concept of 'racism' and therefore has erred in trying to express what she felt about sister revert's post.

The maximum one could say say is that it is a *generalisation* of asians. But her initial post doesn't contain anything to suggest any racism.

Brothers and sisters, let us put a little more thought before we make a reply to the thread topics and avoid putting fellow TTI brothers and sisters in an uneasy situation, where they have to defend themselves.

Wasalaamalaikum waa rahmatullahi

krackpot

slave warrior caged
sister revert2007 and others.... muslim is a muslim no matter where he is...
children of muslims are their greatest wealth not because they hav to pay back everything but for no reason....

i am an indian and as far as i know no muslim father ever asked his son to pay back evrything or anything.

my parents want me to see the world on my own they dont want me to carry them on my shoulders. but it does not mean i will not look after them. they are my other half just as i am theirs...
im deeply hurt by your comments cos im pursuing higher studies along with hundreds of muslim brothers and sisters in my college whose fees and alllowances are paid by parents.

im 20yrs old already and my father does not want me towork until i complete higher studies and all my dreams beyond that....

hope you ask for forgiveness from allah for making such comments.

there are no buddhist or hindu muslims (ma'az allah) here in asia we are muslims just as in anyother country.

i do not like to be associated with idolators and kuffar :confused::(:SMILY23:
..................................................................................
IN INDIA FATHER PAYS FOR HIS CHILRENS WEDDING>>>> you can verify my statements