Huge tsunami slams Japan, at least 5 dead

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Japanese Emperor Akihito has said he is "deeply worried" about the crisis his country is facing following last Friday's earthquake and tsunami.

abu'muhammad

read today and thought to share.

FUKUSHIMA, Japan | Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:25am IST

FUKUSHIMA, Japan (Reuters) - Japan battled to contain a radiation leak at an earthquake-crippled nuclear plant on Sunday, but faced a fresh threat with the failure of the cooling system in a second reactor.

Operator TEPCO said it was preparing to release some steam to relieve pressure in the No.3 reactor at the plant 240 km (150 miles) north of Tokyo -- which would release a small amount of radiation -- following an explosion and leak on Saturday in the facility's No. 1 reactor.

As strong aftershocks continued to shake Japan's main island the desperate search for survivors from Friday massive earthquake and tsunami continued, and the death toll was expected to rise.
Thousands spent another freezing night huddled over heaters in emergency shelters along the northeastern coast, a scene of devastation after the 8.9 magnitude quake sent a 10-meter (33-foot) wave surging through towns and cities.

Kyodo news agency said the number of dead or unaccounted for as a result of the quake and tsunami was expected to exceed 1,800. It also reported there had been no contact with around 10,000 people in one small town, more than half its population.

The government insisted radiation levels were low following Saturday's explosion, saying the blast had not affected the reactor core container, and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said it had been told by Japan that levels "have been observed to lessen in recent hours."

But Japan's nuclear safety agency said the number of people exposed to radiation from the Fukushima Daiichi plant could reach 160. Workers in protective clothing were scanning people arriving at evacuation centers for radioactive exposure.

Around 140,000 people had been evacuated from areas near the plant and another nuclear facility nearby, while authorities prepared to distribute iodine to people in the vicinity to protect them from radioactive exposure.

"There is radiation leaking out, and since the possibility (of being exposed) is high, it's quite scary," said Masanori Ono, 17, standing in line on Saturday to be scanned for radiation at an evacuation center in Fukushima prefecture.

Before news of the problem with reactor No. 3, the nuclear safety agency said the plant accident was less serious than both the Three Mile Island accident in 1979 and the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster.

An official at the agency said it has rated the incident a 4 according to the International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale (INES). Three Mile Island was rated 5 while Chernobyl was rated 7 on the 1 to 7 scale, the official said.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/03/12/us-japan-quake-idUSTRE72A0SS20110312

abu'muhammad

I took the image of all the nuclear plants in Japan and surprisingly it can be seen that they all are located on the coast. all of them ! I don’t know know why Japanese govt has such an arrangement ?.. might be to make the heavy water out of sea ?

Tokyo atomic power, fukushima with 6 units under operation can be seen and the other two quite near in a row threatening Japan at the moment !

Attachments

• japan.jpg
    japan.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 32

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
I took the image of all the nuclear plants in Japan and surprisingly it can be seen that they all are located on the coast. all of them ! I don’t know know why Japanese govt has such an arrangement ?.. might be to make the heavy water out of sea ?

:salam2:

Brother, check out the location of the US nuclear plants - a large number of them are located at earthquake fault lines.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

Brother, check out the location of the US nuclear plants - a large number of them are located at earthquake fault lines.

I think one reason for that they locate near of places which are density populated. Historically people set live just kind of areas because many times they too are vulcanic and kind of areas are also more productive for agriculture. Can we now ask people for they own security just move away? Good bye LA?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

That was a very informative link.

It will take years. The US news is reporting we ( mainland ) should not get any radiation. Right.

On a very serious level start eating tofu.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Why tofu?

Everyone is downplaying this incident - but we should all know better. We've read about nuclear energy and dangers of radiation in our schooling - even a tiny amount is harmful forever - this radiation is blowing over the Pacific ocean - it will fall over the ocean, get eaten by plankton, which are the smallest life forms in there. Thus, it enters the food chain, from fish to bigger fish, and entering the water systems. Fallout over crops and grasslands makes the animal chain contaminated. Even milk given by cows who graze over fallout-contaminated grasses give poisonous milk.

There is a hadith that by the time dajjal comes around, all the animals will be dead. We don't know how many years or decades farther away that is, but we can guess that a nuclear radiation threats over multiple places can likely cause all animals to die, and water and food to be contaminated.

May Allah bless and save us all, ameen. :tti_sister:

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
I've read Kelp also helps - however you'd need to eat quite a lot to get the required Iodine content. (Incidentally, Kelp supplements are also rapidly selling out on the West Coast). Not to mention, the Potassium Iodide pills and the kelp and tofu would only fill up your thyroid gland and act as a temporary protectant against only Thyroid cancer. It will not protect the rest of the body from any other adverse reactions from the radiation.

However, now that we're hearing Plutonium was in the exploded mess, that renders all KI pills, kelp, tofu practically useless. Plutonium radiation is deadly.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
As article say; tofu contains iodine. It protects yes, but only against cancer of thyroid. Some people even here have already bought from pharmacy some iodine, like just in case.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Ok, before you will go to your under-ground shelters in USA or other countries, calm down a little. When there were Chernobyl disaster at 1986, a lot of radioactive waste came also to here (Finland) what locates about 1000 km from Chernobyl (only). We are still alive even Soviets didn´t inform about accident enough early and people here didn´t take iodine (neither we didn´t stay inside as we didn´t know nothing about this waste what was raining to our heads).

It is difficult to say as I am not expert what kind of waste here we got but even caesium isotope 137 which half-life is 30 years. Other isotope is 135 and its half-life is 2.3 million years.

Large areas around this nuclear plant in Japan might become very wasted but not all the world. Part this waste also goes down (to ocean maybe) on its travel where ever it is going. So I don´t think it is good idea to spend next million years in shelters?

Anyways; have a nice tofu, just in case.

More about caesium: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesium

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I am not planning on going underground any time soon. I pray for the Japanese.
We all know how I feel about nuclear reactors. I just read the US approved 35 million in aid. And that is a good thing. Of course Wall Street is interested in the money. A car company shut down in Louisiana. They can not get car parts. The prices of everything has gone up here.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum
Yes even Russians are running to the medical stores and also buying radiation detection devices very costly though. The French government has sent supplies of iodine tablets to Japan it protects against Thyroid.

I believe the government is hiding alot of facts in order not to spread panic among people the real damage and exposure would be known once its been assessed. But this was an awakening call experts are now debating whether nuclear energy should be used or not China has halted its construction of the reactor. I must applaud the courage of those workers who have promised to avert a meltdown

This is something about the Nuclear waste in Finland
[yt]RurTvL7NWGc[/yt]

falloutmap2.jpg

abu'muhammad

Assalamu alaykum,

As I read the link, tofu and kelp are not an antidot to the radiation. However can help against the thyroid cancer as a source of Iodine.
Sister Harb, the case of Chernobyl was quite different from that of fukushima reactors. The fukushima are still existing while the dome of Chernobyl reactor flung to several metres high as by a called on explosion,that happened due to the carelessness in a laboratory test.The amount of radiation from Chernobyl then was 7 out of 7 at the fullest (check my post). For fukushima reactors still the things are under-control. As much I read elsewhere, the authorities aren’t bothered much of radiation leakeages and are allowing it (as the only way ) to reduce the pressure built-up. But What threatens them more is the blasts possibilities.

And Allaah knows best.

arzafar

I agree with poster above. Things with regards to nuclear radiation are not as bad as some people and news channels are making it out to be. I guess i trust Japanese technology. Also Chernobyl is a different situation altogether. Nuclear technology has made huge advancements in since 86. There is no need to panic just yet.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
I agree with poster above. Things with regards to nuclear radiation are not as bad as some people and news channels are making it out to be. I guess i trust Japanese technology. Also Chernobyl is a different situation altogether. Nuclear technology has made huge advancements in since 86. There is no need to panic just yet.

Just this I wanted to tell in my post before. No panic. By last news I have read alert in Japan has lowed to 5 from 6.

Remember; even if it is 7 it is not same than nuclear bomb!

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

Abu Talib;

thanks about video you sended. I hope it makes people think what using nuclear energy really cost now and at future. Also at future after us.