Huge tsunami slams Japan, at least 5 dead

justoneofmillion

:salam2:

Very informative links,thanks for sharing Appa.

VIENNA (Reuters) - Low concentrations of radioactive particles from Japan's disaster-hit nuclear power plant have been heading eastwards and are expected to reach North America in days, a Swedish official said on Thursday.

Lars-Erik De Geer, research director at the Swedish Defence Research Institute, a government agency, was citing data from a network of international monitoring stations set up to detect signs of any nuclear weapons tests.

Stressing the levels were not dangerous for people, he predicted the particles would eventually also continue across the Atlantic and reach Europe.

"It is not something you see normally," he said by phone from Stockholm, adding the results he now had were based on observations from earlier in the week. But, "it is not high from any danger point of view."

He said he was convinced they would eventually be detected over the whole northern hemisphere.

"It is only a question of very, very low activities so it is nothing for people to worry about," De Geer said.

"In the past when they had nuclear weapons tests in China ... then there were similar clouds all the time without anybody caring about it at all," he said.

He said the main movement in the air around Japan normally went from west to east, but suggested the direction occasionally changed and at times turned.

In Geneva, the U.N.'s World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) said on Thursday that a "northwesterly winter monsoon flow prevails over the eastern and northern part of Japan" and that this was expected to remain the case until around 0000 GMT.

NO "HARMFUL LEVELS"

The New York Times earlier said a forecast of the possible movement of the radioactive plume showed it churning across the Pacific, and touching the Aleutian Islands on Thursday before hitting southern California late on Friday.

It said the projection was made by the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organisation (CTBTO), a Vienna-based independent body for monitoring possible breaches of the test ban.

The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission advised on Wednesday any Americans living near Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear plant to move at least 50 miles (80 km) away but it played down the risks of contamination to the United States.

"All the available information continues to indicate Hawaii, Alaska, the U.S. Territories and the U.S. West Coast are not expected to experience any harmful levels of radioactivity," it said in a statement on Wednesday.

The CTBTO has more than 60 stations around the world which can pick up very low levels of radioactive particles such as caesium and iodine isotopes.

It continuously provides data to its member states, including Sweden, but does not make the details public.

De Geer said he believed the radioactive particles would "eventually also come here."

The New York Times said health and nuclear experts emphasized radiation would be diluted as it travelled and at worst would have extremely minor health consequences in the United States.

In a similar way, radiation from the Chernobyl disaster in 1986 spread around the globe and reached the west coast of the United States in 10 days, its levels measurable but minuscule.
(Editing by Sophie Hares)http://au.news.yahoo.com/japan-tsun...radioactivity-seen-heading-towards-n-america/

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
I don´t know how they are reported in other countries. In my country they reported quite clear:

if some reactors will melt, workers have to leave and then we just wait and watch what will happening. As this is only we can do. We means all people in the world.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
I would like to remind that much worse nuclear risk are DU-bullets using in Iraq, Palestine, Lebanon and Yugoslavia. Nuclear waste of them too spread around by water and wind.

All the time.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
At the moment I think the whole world needs to concentrate how to avert and contain the meltdown. Later they could investigate all the reports right from corruption to knowing that area was prone to earthquakes/tsunami.

Its not just Japan that would be effected but also many other countries who knows.

[yt]uPLoNJe85SQ[/yt]

[yt]XRWxCyd56y8[/yt]

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Radiation has been detected in Milk and Spinach in Japan also in imports from Japan. I've seen Japanese citizens lashing out at government for sealing many facts.

I also support an end to Nuclear Energy it has the benefit but the consequence of a Malfunction surpasses its benefits

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
I also think nuclear energy is danger. We haven´t technics now to make it safe. Benefits we get from it is huge but also risks are huge.

50%/50% is not good.

But what else people can use making energy? Wind? Coal? Oil? Something else?

Valerie

I also think nuclear energy is danger. We haven´t technics now to make it safe. Benefits we get from it is huge but also risks are huge.

50%/50% is not good.

But what else people can use making energy? Wind? Coal? Oil? Something else?

:salam2:

Wind and solar would be my choice, but I'm in nevada and we have plenty of each. The new school near my house has a ton of solar panels (pretty happy about that).

I feel so terrible that the people of Japan are going through this. So many lives lost... Everything can be rebuilt, but you can't get people back :(

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Reuters: Purifiers affected by radiation in Tokyo city proper and 5 suburban districts - Tokyo official

Reuters: Radiation found in a Tokyo city water purifier - NHK

Reuters: Workers at Japan nuclear plant unable to continue work at reactor no.2 due to high radiation levels - Nuclear safety agency

Reuters: Black smoke seen rising from no.3 nuclear reactor at Fukushima plant - NHK

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Reuters: Purifiers affected by radiation in Tokyo city proper and 5 suburban districts - Tokyo official

Reuters: Radiation found in a Tokyo city water purifier - NHK

Reuters: Workers at Japan nuclear plant unable to continue work at reactor no.2 due to high radiation levels - Nuclear safety agency

Reuters: Black smoke seen rising from no.3 nuclear reactor at Fukushima plant - NHK

:tti_sister: May Allah save people in Japan.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Reuters: Japan govt official says black smoke at Fukushima reactor no. 3 will not become a major issue

Reuters: Japan nuclear agency: Radiation level at Fukushima reactor No.2 at highest level recorded so far

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The water in Tokyo is unsafe for infants:

Restoration at nuke plant disrupted, radiation fears spread to Tokyo

TOKYO, March 23, Kyodo

Work to restore power and key cooling functions was disrupted again Wednesday at the crisis-hit Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant as smoke caused workers to evacuate, while fear of radioactive pollution spread to Tokyo with an alert not to give tap water to infants.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano urged residents of areas under the wind from the plant to stay indoors and avoid exposure to air as much as possible as a precaution, while official advisories are for people within a 20-kilometer radius to evacuate and within 20 km to 30 km to stay indoors.

The plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. said it learned at around 4:20 p.m. that black smoke was seen rising at the No. 3 reactor building, leading to evacuation of workers from the four troubled reactors, but added about an hour later that it was receding.

The radiation level was unchanged shortly afterward, meaning the smoke caused no massive release of radioactive materials, the government's nuclear safety agency said. Smoke was also seen billowing from the No. 3 building on Monday.

It also turned out that the surface temperatures of the No. 1 and No. 3 reactor vessels have topped the maximum levels set by their designers. The rise of the temperatures came to light after data measuring instruments became available with the power restored Tuesday, the agency said.

In Tokyo, the metropolitan government said radioactive iodine exceeding the limit for infants' intake was detected in water at a purification plant, apparently due to the ongoing crisis at the power station crippled by the March 11 massive quake and tsunami.

At the plant run by the utility known as TEPCO, all six reactors were reconnected to external power as of Tuesday night and workers scrambled to check each piece of equipment, such as data measuring tools and feed-water pumps, before transmitting power to them.

As part of efforts to restore lost functions at the plant, TEPCO aimed to first revive a pump by Thursday to inject fresh water into the core of the No. 3 reactor, instead of seawater that has currently been poured using fire pumps, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said.

While the maximum vessel temperature set by the reactors' designers is 302 C degrees, the surface temperature of the No. 1 reactor vessel briefly topped 400 C and dropped to about 350 C by noon, and that of the No. 3 reactor vessel stood at about 305 C, the agency said.

Although the facilities are not expected to start melting at those temperatures, according to agency spokesman Hidehiko Nishiyama, TEPCO increased the amount of seawater injected into the No. 1 reactor by nine times to help cool it down.

Nishiyama said TEPCO will carefully continue to inject massive amounts of water into the No. 1 reactor so as not to raise the pressure in the reactor.

Massive water injection could raise pressure in the reactor, which increases the risk of damage to the facility, and workers would be required to release radioactive steam from the reactor to lower the pressure.

At the No. 2 reactor, workers have been unable to replace a pump to help revive its internal cooling system since Friday as high-level radiation amounting to at least 500 millisieverts per hour was detected at its turbine building, the spokesman said.

Water-spraying operations, meanwhile, continued in the morning at the No. 4 reactor unit to help cool down its spent nuclear fuel pool, using trucks with a concrete squeeze pump and a 50-meter arm capable of pouring water from a higher point.

But similar operations for the No. 3 reactor were put off due to the smoke.

Also on Wednesday, a series of strong aftershocks jolted the coastal area of Fukushima Prefecture where the crippled plant is located, but they did not affect the restoration work, the nuclear agency said.

TEPCO said two workers who had been installing a makeshift power source from Tuesday night were injured and taken to hospital, but they were not exposed to radiation.

Lighting in a control room for the No. 3 and No. 4 reactors was partially restored Tuesday night, a key step toward regaining control of the situation as operators have been unable to remain in any control rooms for long hours due to high radiation levels and power outages.

After the March 11 earthquake and massive tsunami knocked out power at the plant, the cooling functions failed at the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 reactors, while the pools storing spent nuclear fuel at the No. 1, No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 units have also lost all their cooling functions.

In addition to efforts to douse the pools with water sprayed from outside, workers are also attempting to inject water by reviving internal cooling systems, according to the nuclear agency.

==Kyodo

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/80532.html

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Chernobyl style Yellow Snow is falling in Tokyo now.

Radioactive yellow rain that fell in Tokyo and surrounding areas last night caused panic amongst Japanese citizens and prompted a flood of phone calls to Japan’s Meteorological Agency this morning, with people concerned that they were being fed the same lies as victims of Chernobyl, who were told that yellow rain which fell over Russia and surrounding countries after the 1986 disaster was merely pollen, the same explanation now being offered by Japanese authorities.

“After two days of rain in Tokyo I woke up to a thick coating of this yellow stuff all over my car. What looks like a glare between the glass and the body of the car is actually pollen. My first thought was ewe! Radioactive sludge from Fukushima, but no,” states the comment associated with this You Tube clip.

“The (Japan Meteorological) agency received more than 200 inquiries Thursday morning about yellowish residue left on roofs and elsewhere by the rain, stirring concerns that radioactive substances had fallen after accidents caused by the March 11 quake and tsunami at a nuclear power plant around 220 kilometers northeast of Tokyo,” reports Japan Today.

Officials later suggested the discoloration was caused by air-borne pollen falling with the rain. “The JMA believes the yellow patches are pollen, but has yet to confirm this,” reports the Wall Street Journal, adding that the JMA received over 280 calls after residents in the Kanto region discovered yellow powder on the ground.

“A health official at the Tokyo metropolitan government also said there is a possibility that the rain contained radioactivity but not at a level to have had adverse effects on people’s health,” adds the Japan Today report.

Given the fact that Japanese authorities have been habitually deceptive about the Fukushima crisis from start to finish, assurances that the yellow powder was merely a result of air-borne pollen particles are dubious at best. With people living in Tokyo already being told that tap water is unsafe to drink, along with contaminated vegetables and milk from certain areas near Fukushima, the fact that they were panicked by yellow rain is unsurprising.

A d v e r t i s e m e n t
Although pollen can turn rain a yellow color, the fact that the phenomenon occurred a couple of hundred kilometers south of the radiation-spewing Fukushima nuclear plant has stoked alarm, and understandably so given the fact that victims of Chernobyl nuclear fallout in 1986 were also told by authorities that yellow rain was harmless pollen, when in fact it was deadly radioactive contamination.

A University of California Daily Bruin article entitled “Remembering Chernobyl,” documents how children in Belarus happily splashed around in puddles of yellow rain having been assured by Russian authorities that it was merely pollen, when in fact it was a toxic mixture of radioactivity that had been blasted from the Chernobyl plant 80 miles away.

Thinking back to 20 years ago, it’s the splashing in yellow rainwater that Antonina Sergieff vividly recalls.

“We all jumped in the puddles with the yellow stuff. … You don’t see (it in) the air, it doesn’t materialize. But when you see the yellow dust, you see radiation,” Sergieff said.

When these elements first reached Sergieff 20 years ago, they came in the form of yellow rain.

It was not long after that residents in her hometown knew it wasn’t simply “pollen” – which is what government officials assured them, she said.

The effects of this “pollen” soon confirmed that those puddles of yellow rain contained something far more sinister, namely iodine-131, caesium-137, strontium-90 and plutonium-239.

“Soon, people started losing their hair, pictures of deformed animals sprouted up in independent newspapers, and incidences of cancer in Belarus skyrocketed, Sergieff said. According to the U.N. brief, cases of breast cancer in Belarus doubled between 1988 and 1999, among other increases.”

With levels of radiation emitted by Fukushima now approaching those spewed out by the blast at Chernobyl, as the establishment media bizarrely pretends that the crisis is all but over, seawater samples taken around 330 meters south of the plant confirm that levels of radioactive iodine released are the highest yet recorded.

Stock up with Fresh Food that lasts with eFoodsDirect (Ad)

As we have highlighted, despite UN and World Health Organization studies that claim Chernobyl led to a maximum of 9,000 deaths and 200,000 cases of radiation sickness, more contemporary studies have shown that nearly a million people have been killed from cancers caused by the disaster over the course of the last 25 years.

And this is what a Local Resident in California found out and discovered:

……..a few days ago Bakersfield, CA had a terrible wind storm……….chemtrail jockies have been spraying ( “POP-Dusting” ), the hell out of us for weeks. The rain followed……….the next morning it was partlycloudy ( with chemtrails,… “plaid”), so the the pavement around the house dried out, except for the small pools of rain water… all of the pools had a yellow, powdery substance circumscribing each pool.
…………it kinda’ freaked me out, as I thought the chemtrailers superdosed us with barium sulphate………but then I thought…..oh, I forgot, there are a lot of pine trees in the neighborhood, including a large at my own residence. I thought it was likely, pollen.
I thought I would take a little road trip about the “hood” and check for other deposits of the yellow, powdery substance……………..sure enough……..tha stuff accumulated on sidewalks and in the gutters, all over the place!!!!!!!
So, I came home to search for a garden creature to navagate across these yellow-powder pool -borders, just to see what it would do…..I was thinking, if it’s something toxic………it will attempt to avoid it…or, freaking die. I found a Helix Aspersa, (common garden snail), for my test subject. I placed it right on a heavy concentration of accumulated powder……..it moved as fast a snail could, away from the stuff. I repeated the same experiment at several locations about the house………SAME response…….it avoided the material. I placed a small 3mm diameter red dot on the snail shell for identification and placed the snail in a poodle-sculptured, wax leaf privet, and allowed it to “roost”…………….the next day, it was dead……creanated flesh.
There is some remaining powder aound the house, today…..I did collect quite a bit of the material as a reference sample……..it’s partially soluable, completely soluable with a splash of sodium hypochlorite ( CLOROX, Na OCl).

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Japan plant operator confirms high radiation, evacuates workers from reactor's turbine building

Japan plant operator says radioactivity in water at reactor No. 2 is 10 million times usual level, workers evacuated - local media

U.N. nuclear chief says Japan crisis far from end

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Massachusetts rainwater has also been found to be contaminated with low levels of radiation from Fukushima, indicating just how widespread the radioactive fallout has become. It’s not just the West Coast of North America that’s vulnerable, in other words: even the East Coast could receive dangerous levels of fallout if Fukushima suffers a larger release of radioactive material into the air.

Rolling blackouts are now continuing throughout Japan due to the drop in power production from Fukushima diminishing Japan’s electricity generating capacity. The only reason Japan isn’t experiencing widespread power blackouts right now is because so many factories were damaged or swept away from the tsunami itself. Once a serious rebuilding effort gets underway, Japan is going to find itself critically short of electrical power.

The radiation leaking from Reactor No. 2 is now measured at 1,000 millisieverts an hour — more than enough to cause someone’s hair to fall out from a single exposure event. Radiation sickness can begin at just 100 millisieverts. The extremely high levels of radiation are, in fact, making it nearly impossible for workers to continue working at the reactor. “You’d have a lot of difficulty putting anyone in there,” said Richard Wakeford, a radiation epidemiology expert at the Dalton Nuclear Institute in Manchester. “They’re finding quite high levels of radiation fields, which is impeding their progress dealing with the situation.”

---

The Opposition Party in Taiwan, which is also a small island vulnerable to earthquakes and tsunamis, has said that it would like to phase out nuclear power by 2025.

Massive demonstrations take place in Germany against nuclear power.

--

Online Radiation Network Maps suddenly spiked with high readings acoss Tennessee and Alabama - a while later, the readings were censored so as not to cause a panic.

abu'muhammad

Plutonium found, problems mount at Japan nuclear plant

Reuters – A handout from Japan Ground Self-Defense Force via Kyodo shows No. 4 reactor at Tokyo Electric Power …

By Yoko Nishikawa Yoko Nishikawa – 53 mins ago

TOKYO (Reuters) – Plutonium found in soil around the crippled Fukushima nuclear complex added to mounting problems on Tuesday in Japan's battle to contain the world's worst atomic crisis since Chernobyl.
Plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) said the radioactive material, which is used in nuclear bombs, was traced in soil at five locations at the plant, hit by an earthquake and tsunami on March 11.
The under-pressure company stressed the traces were not at dangerous levels.

"Plutonium found this time is at a similar level seen in soil in a regular environment and it's not at the level that's harmful to human health," TEPCO vice-president Sakae Muto told reporters at a briefing.
Muto said the level was similar to that found in the past in other parts of Japan as a result of nuclear testing abroad. He said it was unclear where the plutonium was from, although it appeared two of the five finds were related to damage from the plant rather than from the atmosphere.
The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the United Nations nuclear watchdog, said the find was to be expected.

"It is reactor-grade plutonium which is formed into the reactor as far as we can see," IAEA official Denis Flory said. "It means that there is degradation of the fuel, which is not news. We have been saying that consistently for so many days."

The plutonium discovery, from samples taken a week ago, was reported after TEPCO said on Monday highly radioactive water had been leaking from one reactor.

In a growing list of problems, the environmental group Greenpeace said it had detected high levels of radiation outside an exclusion zone.

FIRES, EXPLOSIONS, RADIATION
Fires, explosions and radiation leaks have forced engineers to suspend efforts to stabilize the plant, including at the weekend when radiation levels spiked to 100,000 times above normal in water inside reactor No. 2.
A partial meltdown of fuel rods inside the reactor vessel was responsible for the high levels, although Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said the radiation had mainly been contained in the reactor building.

TEPCO said later radiation above 1,000 millisieverts per hour had been found in water in concrete tunnels that extend beyond the reactor.
The nuclear crisis has compounded Japan's agony after the magnitude 9.0 quake and huge tsunami devastated its northeast coast, turning towns into apocalyptic landscapes of mud and debris.

More than 11,000 people are confirmed dead and 17,339 are missing. About a quarter of a million people are living in shelters and the cost of damage could top $300 billion, making it the world's costliest natural disaster.
Greenpeace said its experts had confirmed radiation levels of up to 10 microsieverts per hour in the village of Iitate, 40 km (25 miles) northwest of the plant. It called for the extension of a 20-km (12-mile) evacuation zone.

"It is clearly not safe for people to remain in Iitate, especially children and pregnant women, when it could mean receiving the maximum allowed annual dose of radiation in only a few days," Greenpeace said in a statement.

More than 70,000 people have been evacuated from an area within 20 km (12 miles) of the plant and 130,000 people within a zone extending a further 10 km are advised to stay indoors. They have been encouraged to leave.

Beyond the evacuation zone, traces of radiation have been found tap water in Tokyo and as far away as Iceland.

"POLITICS OVER SCIENCE"
Japanese officials and international experts have generally said the levels away from the plant were not dangerous for people, who in any case face higher radiation doses on a daily basis from natural sources, X-rays or flying.

Greenpeace urged the government to acknowledge the danger and "stop choosing politics over science."

The deputy head of the nuclear safety agency, Hidehiko Nishiyama, said the environmental group's measurement was not reliable and hardly any people were still living in that area.

TEPCO, which has conceded it faces a long and uncertain operation to contain the crisis, sought outside help from French firms including Electricite de France SA and Areva SA, a French government minister said.
Murray Jennex, a nuclear power plant expert and associate professor at San Diego State University in the United States, said "there's not really a plan B" other than to dry out the plant, get power restored and start cooling it down.

"What we're now in is a long slog period with lots of small, unsexy steps that have to be taken to pull the whole thing together," he said by telephone.

There was good news at least about the radiation levels in the sea just off the plant, which skyrocketed on Sunday to 1,850 times normal. Those had come down sharply, the nuclear safety agency said the next day.
Although experts said radiation in the Pacific would quickly dissipate, the levels at the site were clearly dangerous, and the 450 or so engineers there have won admiration and sympathy around the world for their bravery and sense of duty.

(Additional reporting by Elaine Lies, Yoko Kubota and Shinichi Saoshiro in Tokyo, David Dolan in Fukushima, Gerard Wynn in London, Alister Doyle in Oslo, Sylvia Westall in Vienna; Writing by Andrew Cawthorne and Robert Birsel; editing by Andrew Dobbie)

Abu Talib

Feeling low
I dont know how are Japanese authorities playing with the event they say its under control no leaks then the other day reports show leaks into the sea or ground. Its confusing whether they want to do it alone or western nations not would like to help it. Its economy is going to suffer alot as panic is spreading about radiation in Japanese Exports some countries are stopping taking good also from Japan.

The citizen in trauma since the disaster and the nuclear crisis still going on..