important

~Princesita~

Asalamoalykum! my Brother,s wife is a christen can i call her sister, and can i greet her with islamic greetings...................?

as long as i know you can may be call her sister but i dont think that you can greet her in islamic ways by saying(assalamualikum).
but how to greet may be the other brothers know it better.

Ali_Ibrahim

salamu alaikum. To my knowledge and understanding im sure you can greet her with an arabic greeting. Usually this greeting is for someone who is of arab descent because the greeting is in arabic. i.e spanish relative can say beivenidos to me and i'll understand it because i know a little spanish. I'm sure a greeting of a simple hug and kiss on the cheek for your sister in law isn't much of a problem. I do not see why it would be.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
:salam2:
I'm sure a greeting of a simple hug and kiss on the cheek for your sister in law isn't much of a problem. I do not see why it would be.
I don't think kissing your Sister in Law is permissable in Islam. This is your Brother's wife! I don't think your Bro would be too pleased about that.

wasalam

sharaz

Fear Allah
Salaam

I remember reading a hadith once on how we should greet a non-muslims. We shouldn't greet a non-muslim until they greet you and when a non-muslim says Salamu 'Alaikum (peace be upon you) you said say only Wa 'Alaikum (and upon you too).

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Assalamu alaikum,

I hope this also helps to clarify what Sister Hurulein posted.

How should we return the greeting of salaam from a non-Muslim?

Question:
What should we say when greeting by a non-Muslim with: As salaamu 'alaykum?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible – firstly – to initiate the greeting of salaam to a non-Muslim. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not initiate the greeting of salaam to a Jew or a Christian…” (Narrated by Muslim, 2167).

If one of them says “As-Saam ‘alaykum” – meaning, may death be upon you – or it is not clear whether they have said “salaam”, then we should respond by saying “Wa ‘alaykum” (and upon you).

It was reported that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the Jews greet you, they say ‘Al-saam ‘alaykum (may death be upon you),’ so respond by saying ‘‘alayk (and also upon you).’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5902; Muslim, 2461).

If a non-Muslim greets us with the correct shar’i greeting (i.e., says ‘Al-salaamu ‘alaykum’ clearly), the scholars differed as to whether we have to return the greeting. The majority of scholars said that we do have to return the greeting, and this is the correct view.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: they differed as to whether it is obligatory to return the greeting. The majority said that it is obligatory and this is the correct view. A group of scholars said that it is not obligatory to return their greeting just as it is not obligatory to return the greeting of those who follow bid’ah. But the correct view is the first one. The difference is that we are commanded to forsake the followers of bid’ah by way of rebuke and to warn others about them, which is not the case with the Ahl al-Dhimmah (Jews and Christians).

(Zaad al-Ma’aad, 2/425, 426)

The Muslim who is returning the greeting should respond in the manner prescribed by sharee’ah, giving a similar or better greeting, because of the general meaning of the Aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally.” [al-Nisa’ 4:86]

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: if the person is certain that the Dhimmi (Jew or Christian) is clearly saying ‘al-salaamu ‘alaykum’ to him, and he has no doubts about that, should he say ‘wa ‘alayka al-salaam’ or shorten it to ‘wa ‘alayk’? What is indicated by the evidence and principles of sharee’ah is that he should say ‘wa ‘alayka al-salaam’, because this is more just, and Allaah commands us to be just and to treat others well… this does not contradict any of the ahaadeeth on this topic at all, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded us to shorten the greeting to ‘wa ‘alayk’ because of the reason mentioned above, which is that they deliberately used to say ‘al-saam ‘alaykum’ instead of ‘al-salaam ‘alaykum’, as indicated in the hadeeth narrated by ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her). He said, “Do you not see that I say ‘wa ‘alaykum’ when they say ‘al-saam ‘alaykum’?” Then he said, “If the People of the Book greet you with salaam, say, ‘Wa ‘alaykum.’”

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“… and when they come to you, they greet you with a greeting wherewith Allaah greets you not, and say within themselves, ‘Why would Allâh punish us not for what we say?’…” [al-Mujaadilah 58:8]

If this reason is not there, and the Jew or Christian says, ‘Salaam ‘alaykum wa rahmat-Allaah,’ then it is only fair to respond in kind.

(Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah, 1/425, 426)

The hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah was narrated by al-Bukhaari (5901) and Muslim (2165)

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Noor to shine

the most polite and gentle way

:salam2:
I think that you should treat her in the most polite and gentle way you can as a muslem then you can great her in any way other that Assalamu alaikim.

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
I'm sure a greeting of a simple hug and kiss on the cheek for your sister in law isn't much of a problem. I do not see why it would be.

Mr. Ali, are you really a Muslim?
Are you are coming from a culture where going to dancing clubs and kissing any girls is considered a fashion? I dont mean to offend you here but if you belong to such culture then rest assured that Islam does not allow to touch (or even see the sister in law** ) and you are talking about hugging and kissing? What is the difference left between the husband and brother in law?

I advise you to please learn what is actual Islam about, try to browse this website and other Islamic resources and take your time in learning with patience, and then you can give suggestions to others.

**According to many Islamic Scholars.

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Mr. Ali, are you really a Muslim?
Are you are coming from a culture where going to dancing clubs and kissing any girls is considered a fashion? I dont mean to offend you here but if you belong to such culture then rest assured that Islam does not allow to touch (or even see the sister in law** ) and you are talking about hugging and kissing? What is the difference left between the husband and brother in law?

I advise you to please learn what is actual Islam about, try to browse this website and other Islamic resources and take your time in learning with patience, and then you can give suggestions to others.

**According to many Islamic Scholars.

I think Princesita is a lady :D

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Yes but my understanding is that Mr. Ali is saying it's ok for a sister to hug and kiss her sister-in-law occassionally.

brother4ever

Salaam

I remember reading a hadith once on how we should greet a non-muslims. We shouldn't greet a non-muslim until they greet you and when a non-muslim says Salamu 'Alaikum (peace be upon you) you said say only Wa 'Alaikum (and upon you too).

Assalamoaleykum
princesita.
I am agree with sharaz is right.

As for as I know that Salaam is the quality of Allah. It means peace. We firmly believe that absolute peace is for those that follow the true path and true guidance. Muslims may say and pray for all – Muslims and non-Muslims – may peace be upon those who are guided.

As Muslims, we wish and pray for guidance and peace of non-Muslims as well. It is encouraging to note that you are interested in Islam. Study Islam and you will realize the real peace it offers you.

kayleigh

Someone has already answered as to why you shouldn't, but I just wanted to say that when I was taking Arabic classes, my teacher was a Muslim man and he always greeted the whole class - Muslims and non-Muslims (I wasn't a Muslim at the time) with "assalam alaikum" and he taught us how to respond to it. It may not have been right but I'm glad he did - it wasn't completely foreign to me when I started looking into Islam :)

basheerpkm

trying to be Mu'min
Someone has already answered as to why you shouldn't, but I just wanted to say that when I was taking Arabic classes, my teacher was a Muslim man and he always greeted the whole class - Muslims and non-Muslims (I wasn't a Muslim at the time) with "assalam alaikum" and he taught us how to respond to it. It may not have been right but I'm glad he did - it wasn't completely foreign to me when I started looking into Islam :)

In mixed (Muslim and non Muslim) crowd, Islamic greeting is allowable . But if only Non Muslims,:SMILY286:

justoneofmillion

from what i understand allah commands us to be kind and good to all people and"he" tells us that when being greeted in way to respond in a more beautiful manner allah swt tell us only not to be friends with those who fight and mock the religion or make fun of you when you`re asking his forggiveness wich is completly understandable and logical!!!!:shake: :shake: :shake: :SMILY206: