Is this allowed?

AyeshaL

:hijabi:Salaams all - hope everyone's well inshaAllah

Just got a quick question that I hope you can help me with. I'd like to know what advice to give to someone thinking about doing this from an Islamic perspective...

If someone is living on benefits from the state but has managed to put savings aside from inheritance etc...would it be right for them to buy a property (outright so no morgage) and rent it out to gain an extra income...while still receiving benefits and living in a state owned property?

Just wondered if this was okay islamically and wanted to be sure what position I should take.

Would be interested in your thoughts.

JzkAllah

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

You should pose this question to a scholar Insha'Allah or perhaps the imam at your local mosque.

Here's an email address where you can contact Shaykh Mohammad Al Malki
:- [email protected]

I hope your question gets answered Insha'Allah

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

wonnee3

Trying 2 plz ALLAH
Salaam sister, 2 me it sounds like fraud. that would b like a br. having 2 wives and letting them receive welfare. that person is taking undue advantage. i believe, but do like the BII7 says and ask the ones with more hikmah.ASA

ShyHijabi

Why not buy the property and then move there themselves? Living off the state is supposed to be due to dire straits, not because you are lazy and want to get fat off the tax payers money. If they buy the property and then rent it out they need to report that in their yearly taxes, which will get them kicked out of government property.

If they hide their income to appear poorer than reality, then that is fraud and a lie. I think it's safe to say both of the above are haram for Muslims.

weakslave

Is what you are doing going against the laws of your city/state/country?

Meaning, if they were to find out you had a house would they terminate your benefits?

kayleigh

That sounds like fraud to me. If you have enough money to support yourself but are still taking money from the government, I don't see how morally that could be allowed. It is dishonest. Where do you think the money comes from? It doesn't grow off trees - other people have pay the bill.

DanyalSAC

Why not buy the property and then move there themselves? Living off the state is supposed to be due to dire straits, not because you are lazy and want to get fat off the tax payers money. If they buy the property and then rent it out they need to report that in their yearly taxes, which will get them kicked out of government property.

If they hide their income to appear poorer than reality, then that is fraud and a lie. I think it's safe to say both of the above are haram for Muslims.

I totally agree with this post!

AyeshaL

JzkAllah for all your comments - I will advise accordingly! My gut said it didn't feel right but I wanted to be able to back myself up so thanks for enabling me to do that :)

alf2

Islam is a way of life
JzkAllah for all your comments - I will advise accordingly! My gut said it didn't feel right but I wanted to be able to back myself up so thanks for enabling me to do that :)

Sister I urge you to not only tell them that they are in the wrong, but IF they do buy the house and rent it out - PLEASE make an anonymous call to whoever gives out government housing. Because what that person is doing, is not only hurting the tax payers, but also needy families.

There are families living on the street, because of a lack of housing =(
While your friend/acquaintance/relative sits there living off tax money, a family with children could need that house and not have anywhere to go... :girl3: