Islamophobia within the muslim community.

alhamdullilah

Stranger
What is an extremist?
An aquaintance of mine (i try not to call him a friend, due to his extreme ignorance), keeps calling me an extremist. Now see i'm somali, this guy is also somali, considers himself to be muslim. The reason I bring up my nationality is that right now as we speak there's a war going on in my country, a war between warlords (or the "government" that is being backed by the world super powers and the African Union....the government consists of former warlords), and the islamic courts union (a group of somali men that came from all over the world to fight and try to make a difference, and ending somalias cycle of violence and corruption thats plagued our nation for the past.... Well ever since the "mad mullah" about 50 years ago).
Now, the sad part is the propaganda that's spewed over the airwaves about how warlords are better off for our country than islamic "extremists".

The word "extremism" seemed pretty clean cut in its use back when 9/11 happened. It was used for suicide bombers, and other non-islamic actions that were being used in the name of islam. But now the word has been used so much, in so many different contexts that the word is now being used by muslims (or so called muslims) against other muslims.
So you might wonder why my "buddy" here calls me extremist. Do I plot and practice suicide bombing procedures? No. But i get called an extremist for my dislike of music, for praying my 5 prayers punctually, for following the deen to the best of my abilities (may allah accept my efforts), and following sunnah whenever I can. THIS IS THE DEFINITION OF EXTREMIST thats been pinned on us now. If you tune into CNN, and hear them talk about extremism (which has become synonymous with pious muslims... you might even forget that it has another definition), they show you muslim women wearing hijaab (that're apparently being forced to follow the religion by their extremist husbands) and muslim men teaching quran to kids (brainwashing them).

This is understandable from the government run media, but how can this happen within muslim circles? As if it wasn't bad enough to be critisized and alienated by nonmuslims that blindly follow media; but now they've successfully convinced some muslims that following the religion closely is a form of "extremism". And not in a good way, not like its exciting as in EXTREME sports. But as a brand new definition exclusive to pious muslims.

So are muslims slowly but surely being divided up, to the point that some muslims (non "extremists") will begin to identify more with nonmuslims than their own muslim bretheren? Or has it already happened? What can we do to change it? Obviously only allah can rid somebody of ignorance, and we can do nothing on our own, but what can we do? How do we do our part? To educate, to spread the knowledge to dispel widespread ignorance within the ummah, so that we can lookat another muslim and see them as a brother, and a sister instead of an extremist or an ignorant "westernized" "muslim" (i use the word "westernized" not to attack western civilization, but as the anti islamic western culture we see today). Please if you have any thoughts on this. Much brainstorming and dua is needed before we become another generation of losers "Khasiroon"

Rashadi

definitely brother and I know exactly what you are saying. This is sad and it is not only Somalis but all nationalities. If a person has proper Islamic understanding, one should never be afraid of Islam. We are definitely being divided up with newer labels. They are attacking us in every way and from all sides. They can't get Muslims to abandon their faith all together so they try different things. They divide us with labels such as "radical" and "moderate" or "extremists" and "secularists". This is just as bad as abandoning faith because all there is left is the label, "muslim" and nothing else. Not everyone who claims to be Muslim is really one and it is Allah who decides that anyways. Being Muslim is not based on national origin, birth, etc so those kind who basically reject faith in such a way are really not as they claim. Every Muslim should know that the rule of Allah is the best. Who is a better law giver than our Creator, and can the creation make a better or similar rule that is best for us? Of course not so it is important that we live according to Islam and it is also important that every Muslims knows the deen correctly and not be fooled by this propaganda.

Islam is the only solution for mankind and for Muslims there is no other law giver than Allah. That is part of the Shahadah that we worship none but Allah and that we follow his messenger. Those types of Muslims anger me too and I tell them about it all the time. It's western propaganda and the media has lot to do with it. It is extremely important that we follow the Sunnah and we raise a family according to Islam. The Prophet(saaws) said to start teaching the child at the age of 7 and it is wise to do so. It's kind of hard to let children do whatever and then start telling them to wear hijabs or start doing this when they 16 and out of control. It important that Muslims know the basics of the deen first and seek more knowledge of the deen. It is then necessary that we teach the rest too and starting with one's own self, family, etc. May Allah forgive us, have mercy on us and guide us all to the straight path, Ameen. May He also unite our ummah and bring success and peace to Somalia, and all the other troubled nations, Ameen.

AlQurtubi

Banned
Brother, those who call other muslims are extermists are usually far away from religion. Their heart is becomes a rock, thus it cant absorb anything good. They can understand only if they come closer to ALLAH. I have left arguing with such people. I dont give a damn to them now. I am tired of all this.

Instead what i think now is to form a group of like minded people and do someething for ummah. We need "Muslim Media" for this. Whether is electronic or print. We need hell lot of other things as well but its all the matter of coming under one umbrella.

We cant stop this division which you have talked about but we can try our best.

Idris16

Brother be happy when they call u extremist because it means u r a step closer to Allah than them. we will always meet weird guys in the street.

and those warlords are apostates. they have killed muslims more than 18 years and yet we dont hear the somali media say they are of the Ahlu Naar(people of fire) and when alshabab kill ethiopians and assassinate tfg officials the media is saying they are of the Ahlu Naar.
May Allah save us from their fitnahs Amiiiin

alhamdullilah

Stranger
I'm not bothered by being called an extremist, so much as i'm disgusted with its use by muslims. I went to visit my father in toronto, and had the unusual experience of my father asking me if i was a terrorist due to my extremist behaviour. Imagine my surprise/anger/(insert other emotion here) of being asked that by my own father.
Divide and conquer is the game these shayaatin are playing like you said brother rashadi, and why not? It's worked this far hasn't it? I don't know how it can be changed, i don't know, the only thing to do is pray and pray for change, for allah to help strengthen our ummah. It's heartbreaking wallahi.

May allah guide us and show us the way and A way to bring us together once again.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
SubhanaAllah! this is so SAD:( I just Ask Allah to help us be UNITED under Laila Ila Allah Muhammad Ar-rasoli Allah (SAW) because Wallahi like you said(above) it has WORKED this far. May Allah guide us all to the RIGHT path and May we ALL unite Under His name. Ameen.
Salaams:)
your sister in Islam

Abu Hannah

Slave of Allah
hold tightly to the rope of Allah (swt)

:salam2:

This seems to be the phenomenon everywhere with the muslims (may Allah change our condition). Those who stick to the deen properly are now labelled as 'extremists'. And this is being done by our fellow muslims. When you stay away from music, photography, movies and celebrating birthdays etc, you will invariably get labelled as an extremist. Divide and conquer has indeed contributed to our sorry state, not to mention partisanship and groups. These are all tests that our creator has promised, so hold tightly to the rope of Allah and Insha Allah be amongst the winners.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
They may even called you "extremist muslim" because you do nothing extreme but you pray 5 times daily without fail. All praise to Allah if someone call me this way.

pcozzy

Dr. Zakir Naik said in relation to this statement extremist:

I am extremely kind

I am extremely truthful

I am extremely patient

I am extremely ....

just throw back at them, there label, and show them that true meaning of the word, it is just an adjective/noun. If we are called extreme because we fear and love Allah, then so be it we are extremely fearing and loving Allah subhanna wata3alla.

ex·treme (
ibreve.gif
k-str
emacr.gif
m
prime.gif
)
adj.

Most remote in any direction; outermost or farthest: the extreme edge of the field.
2. Being in or attaining the greatest or highest degree; very intense: extreme pleasure; extreme pain.(paradise or hellfire)
Extending far beyond the norm: an extreme conservative. See Synonyms at excessive.
4. Of the greatest severity; drastic: took extreme measures to conserve fuel.
5. Sports
a. Very dangerous or difficult: extreme rafting.
b. Participating or tending to participate in a very dangerous or difficult sport: an extreme skier.
6. Archaic Final; last.

n.

The greatest or utmost degree or point.
2. Either of the two things situated at opposite ends of a range: the extremes of boiling and freezing.
3. An extreme condition.
4. An immoderate, drastic expedient: resorted to extremes in the emergency.
5. Mathematics
a. The first or last term of a ratio or a series.
b. A maximum or minimum value of a function.
6. Logic The major or minor term of a syllogism.

:wasalam:

Muslimboy2222

Asalam Aleikum

For us to truly do away with the wide misconception that is spreading around the western countries we must first deal with the different groups that are being formed across the entire muslim nation. Each group claims that they are fighting for the sake of Allah but in real sense they are just using islam for their own personal gains. If they were truly fighting for the sake of Allah don't you think that they would have prevailed by now?? So as true muslims we should stop supporting such groups because they are simply helping the western media in one way or another. The situation in somalia is indeed a frightening one in which the goverment, al-shabab & other so called mujahideens are fighting to gain control of the country, but at the end of the day it's the innocent civilians who suffer the most. As a somali muslim i too want the sharia to be implemented but under the current circumstances it would just collapse due to the severe conditions people are living under. Most of these mujahideens want somalia to become just like Suadi arabia, Qatar etc just because we are muslims but we aren't in any way similar to these countries. In addition to these we lack enough knowledgeable scholars but hardly anyone ever listens to those that are still in the country. They claim to be true muslims but why do they assassinate people because this is something that the kufar would normaly do. As for me i don't support them & never will

Waleikum salam

salek

i try to keep myself far away from those so called secular muslims. actually they have no knowledge about islam, only thing they have they have a arabic name and they think that's enough to be a muslim. well, i don't urgue or talk to them cause they don't wanna listen anything, they gonna attack on you one after another, they always mocking our faith. they are so strong cause they are strongly boosted by shaitan. and whey the shaitans for? we all knows. so brothers and sisters, cheer up! feel proud of yourself if someone comment on you like radical, fundamental or extrimist. May Allah grant them hidayah. ameen