Istikharah

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatahu

Here is the correct way to do Istikharah.....

This should help you brother Aziz_morocco and others :)

Hadith - al-Tirmidhi # 2151.
[Classed as saheeh by al-Haakim, 1/699, and al-Dhahabi agreed with him. It was classed as hasan by al-Haafiz ibn Hajar in Fath al-Baari, 11/184]

The happiness of the son of Adam depends on his being content with what Allah has decreed for him, and the misery of the son of Adam results from his failure to pray istikharah, and the misery of the son of Adam results from in his discontent with what Allah has decreed for him.

To make the prayer of Istikharah (say: iss-teh-KHAR-uh), one should pray two non-fard (non-obligatory) rakat (units) of prayer, even if they are of the regular sunnah prayers or a prayer for entering the mosque, and so on, during any time of the day or night.

One should recite in them whatever one wishes of the Qur'an, after reciting al-Fatihah. Then one should praise Allah and invoke blessings upon the Prophet, peace be upon him.

"Allahumma inni astakhiruka bi'ilmika. wa astaqdiruka bi-qudratika, wa as'aluka min fadlika al-azimfa-innaka taqdiru wala aqdiru, wa ta'lamu wala a ' lamu, wa anta 'allamu-l-ghuyub.

Allahumma, in kunta ta' lamu anna hadhaI-amra khairun lifi dini wa ma'ashi wa aqibati amri (or 'ajili amri wa'ajilihi) f aqdirhu li wa yas-sirhu li thumma barik li fihi, wa in kunta ta'llamu anna hadha-l-amra sharrun lifi dini wa ma'ashi wa-aqibati amri (orfi'ajili amri wa ajilihi) fasrifhu anni was-rifni'anhu.

Wa aqdir li al-khaira haithu kana thumma ardini bihi"

(O Allah ! I ask guidance from Your knowledge, and Power from Your Might and I ask for Your great blessings. You are capable and I am not. You know and I do not and You know the unseen. O Allah! If You know that this thing is good for my din and my subsistence and for my Hereafter - (or say, If it is better for my present and later needs) - then ordain it for me and make it easy for me to obtain, and then bless me in it. If You know that this thing is harmful to me in my din and subsistence and in the Hereafter--(or say, If it is worse for my present and later needs)--then keep it away from me, and keep me away from it. And ordain for me whatever is good for me, and make me satisfied with it)."'

The Prophet, may peace be upon him, added that then the person should mention his need."

There is nothing authentic concerning anything specific that is to be recited in the prayer nor is there any authentic report concerning how many times one should repeat it.

An-Nawawi holds that "after making istikharah, a person must do what he is wholeheartedly inclined to do and feels good about doing and should not insist on doing what he had desired to do before making the istikharah. And if his feelings change, he should leave what he had intended to do, for otherwise he is not leaving the choice to Allah, and would not be honest in seeking aid from Allah's power and knowledge. Sincerity in seeking Allah's choice, means that one should completely abandon what one desired oneself."

wasalam

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

Hey sis, I hope you don't mind, I just wanted to put some more information, along with the Arabic Dua.

WHAT IS ISTIKHAARAH?

Istikhaarah is to seek guidance from Allah when one is faced with a problem to which no solution is apparent.

Whenever a person is faced with a difficult problem, or becomes hesitant in making a decision and his knowledge of the matter is insufficient to guide him then after seeking advice from trusted friends he should turn to Allah and beseech His grace. He should willingly and with an open heart and mind supplicate for divine guidance and ask for direction so that the problem is solved in his own best interest. The Du'aa at such an occasion is called Istikhaarah.

Istikhaarah is in fact an invaluable teaching of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) with which the Muslims have been favoured. This blessing could give solace to many for all times to come. It is related in the Hadith that Rasulullah (SAW) use to teach the Istikhaarah to the Sahaabah (RA) like the Qur'an is taught to children. In another Hadith it is stated that 'He does not fail who makes Istikhaarah and he does not regret who makes Mashwarah (consultation).

In the Masnoon Istikhaarah, after one has carried out his responsibility as best as one can, one should hand over the entire matter and oneself to the limitless knowledge of Allah Ta'ala. By resorting to Istikhaarah one is now retrieved of making a decision on ones own.

Whenever counsel is sought from a respectable and experienced person, it is expected that he will give good advise and assist to the best of his ability. Similarly Istikhaarah is to seek counsel that the all-Knowing and Merciful Allah? Once Istikhaarah is made then Allah Ta'ala will surely guide him to do what is best for him.

Now there can be no perplexity. Only that will happen which Allah Ta'ala wills and which is good for ones own sake though one may not be able to see it immediately. It is not necessary that one must experience or see an evident change or vision. Allah Ta'ala alone knows what is best for His servants. It is related in the Hadith that 'Success and good tidings for the son of Aadam (Insaan) is in performing Istikhaarah and his misfortune lies in not making Istikhaarah'.

METHOD OF ISTIKHAARAH

When making Istikhaarah begin with performing two Rakaats Nafl Salaat. Then with all sincerity recite the following Du'a.

attachment.php

Allaahumma innee astakheeruka bi ilmika wa-astaqdiruka biqudratika wa-as'aluka min fadhlika al-adheem. Fa innaka taqdiru walaa aqdiru. Wa ta'lamu walaa a'alamu wa anta allaamul ghuyoob. Allaahumma in kunta ta'lamu anna haadhal-amr khayrun liy fiy deeniy wa-ma'aashiy wa-aaqibat amriy, fa'qdruhliy wa-yassirh liy thumma baarik liy feehi. Wa in-kunta ta'lamu anna haadhal amr sharrun liy fiy deeniy wa-ma'aashiy was-'aaqibat amriy. Fa asrifh annee wa-srif 'anhu. Wa aqdurh liyal khayr hayth kaana thumma a-rdhiniy bihee

Trans: O Allah!! Behold I ask You the good through Your Knowledge, and ability through Your Power, and beg (Your favour) out of Your infinite Bounty. For surely You have Power; I have none. You know all; I know not. You are the Great Knower of all things.
O Allah! If in Your Knowledge this matter be good for my faith (Deen), for my livelihood, and for the consequences of my affairs, then ordain it for me, and make it easy for me, and bless me therein.
But if in Your Knowledge, this matter be bad for my faith (Deen) for my livelihood, and for the consequences of my affairs, then turn it away from me, and turn me away therefrom, and ordain for me the good wherever it be, and cause me to be pleased therewith.

While reciting this Du'aa when one reaches HAADHAL AMR (THIS MATTER) at both places he should think of his problem.

:wasalam:

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaamu Alaykum

Ofcourse i dont mind.....add as many info as you like :)

JazakAllah khayr for the arabic Dua...

wasalam

Um'me Ayesha

Istikhara for name

How to make Istikhara for choosing name for a child. What I followed was name from Sahabias RTA, without knowing meanings thereof. My daughters now want me to tell them meanings of theirr names i.e. Ayesha and Summayah.

BinKhadija

An Akhu
Wa'alikum Salaam Wa'rehmatullahi Wa'barakatuhu sister,
Jazak Allah kharyan for useful post sister (and for the added bit sis Samiha). May Allah reward both of you for that. :)

How to make Istikhara for choosing name for a child. What I followed was name from Sahabias RTA, without knowing meanings thereof. My daughters now want me to tell them meanings of theirr names i.e. Ayesha and Summayah.

YOU ever wondered why people Register to post just once? Thus, waste TTI's bandwidth?! Although it does a little but, mind you, it costs something. (Pardon me for being little blunt here. :))

How to make Istikhara for choosing name for a child?
Not sure how to go about it exactly, BUT I think this would be enough if you read this bit from the post again..
"The Prophet, may peace be upon him, added that then the person should mention his need." I think there it might reffer to some indication towards one of two, or more, baby names you have been considering.

Ayesha and Summayah both are Arabic words.
Ayesha: A woman who is full of life or is lively. Another meaning is small one, connoting perhaps, an innocent person.
Summayah: One meaning; high above. Another one; pride - I think it might imply, 'pride of parents'. Makes sense, I assume.

swukhti

i heard that u can pray it up to 7 times on the same thing buh Allahu a'lam... can some one clarify this...

jzk

Mairo

Maryama
:salam2:

Istikhara (Arabic) means to ask Allah to guide one to the right thing concerning any affair in one’s life, especially when one has to choose between two permissible alternatives, e.g. a career choice, getting married, etc.

The Prophet Muhammad said, "If one of you is concerned about some practical undertaking, or about making plans for a journey, he should pray Istikhara."

Sa’ d ibn Waqas reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, “Istikharah (seeking guidance from Allah) is one of the distinct favors (of Allah) upon man, and a good fortune for the son of Adam is to be pleased with the judgment of Allah. And a misfortune of the son of Adam is his failure to make istikharah (seeking Allah’s guidance), and a misfortune for the son of Adam is his displeasure with the judgment of Allah.” Ibn Taimiyyah said, “He who seeks guidance from the Creator and consults the creatures will never regret it.”

I have also heard the following regarding Istikhara:
that it is better that right after reciting the supplication, given above, sleep with ablution facing the direction of the Qibla (facing the Qibla is not required but it is a Sunnat of our beloved Prophet Peace Be Upon Him). It is better to recite salutations (durood/ salawat) on the Prophet Allah's Grace and Peace be upon him before and after the above Dua (supplication).

Also, with respect to how to interpret guidance received in dreams after performing Istikhara:

If in the dream one sees whiteness (means any thing white in color, for example: milk, white paper, white sky, white clothes, white light etc.) or greenness (means any thing green in color, for example: grass, plants, trees, green clothes, green light etc.) then understand that this task is better and if one sees redness (means any thing red in color, for example: blood, red clothing, red fruit, red light etc.) or blackness (means any thing black in color, for example: black water, black light, black clothings, black sky, black wall etc. ) then understand it is bad and avoid it.

If you do not remember any dream or do not see any colors then follow your heart. Whatever intention grows stronger in your heart regarding your targeted work follow it after Istakhara.

One can also ask the assistance of a pious believer in performing Istakhara as well.

Allahu alam

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
i heard that u can pray it up to 7 times on the same thing buh Allahu a'lam... can some one clarify this...

jzk

You see, as I know, Rasoolullah (PBUH) has never mentioned about how many times you can pray it for the same goal...

So.... as there are no specific limit for this, I think that If you are not satisfied with one time, there is no sin in repeating it as much as you want..(1, 4. 7, even 10 times..) Thats depending upon your mental state, right??
ALLAH AZZAWAJAL KNOWS THE BEST

SOME ONE PLZZ DO CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.:hijabi:

By the way JAZAKALLAHU KAHIR for the beneficial thread:hearts:

FEE AMANILLAH:hearts: