Looking for good practicing muslim community in the U.S.

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
:salam2:

Dearborn Michigan.

I would recommend Orange County, California :D. There are alot of Masjids here and a vibrant Muslim community. Most of the universities here have very active MSA.

:wasalam:

rightpath_357

well- i dont really know any specific places where there is a good muslim community- but there will always be bad people doing shatanns encouagments around. so just hold on firmly to ur faith, say Aouthoobillah Himin*!*!*!*!*!*! nir Rajeem when u see people doing bad, and go to the masjid often

Summer03

3doTs2sQuares
New York city! Second largest muslim community in the US The last time I checked! It is rich in diverse Muslims from all over the globe! Lots of masajid!!!! Islamic schools Muslim centersss, strong muslim student associations at colleges! And best of all, u feel like ur back home when surrounded by Muslims in the market place!

Salam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

We have a wonderful but very small community here in West Virginia. We have three excellent colleges here. We have students from Saudi Arabia in the engineering school. We are 60 or so miles from Virginia Tech. We are three hours away from Raleigh NC..and five hours from DC. And yes, it is almost heaven here.

It is peaceful and beautiful. Most of the physicians in the area are Muslim. We have two or three Muslim owned businesses and we have three teachers that are Muslim in the school system. We have Muslim college professors.

And as they say here: Come on in ya'all. ( Welcome). We are Bluefield and Princeton WV.

DanyalSAC

Where I live here in Sacramento California we have a strong Muslim community. And we also have one of the most praised Islamic schools in the US, Al-Arqam school. It is an IB (International Baccalaureate) school and from I understand it is either "one of the" or "is the" only Islamic school to be granted IB status.

We have about 7 masajid in our area, with a huge mix of people, with a large concentration being south Asian. The masjid I go to, Annur, is one of the best. We have several Halal markets, a MAS (Muslim Amerian Society) chapter... we do have one or two "progressive" Masajid that tend to be a bit more liberal than I personally care for, but for the most part we're mostly strictly Sunnah.

The cons? Well... there are some cons. Lets just say that our ummah - for all its great numbers - is just not very motivated unless free food is involved :p

yakubpasha

:salam2:

Where in the U.S I can find strong, islamically active muslim community with schools etc.

Michigan? Chicago?

Dallas Tx( i live here and the community is very good), Houston Tx, chicago has a lot of mulims but most are concentrated in some areas, i find Dallas much better in terms of Islamic environment/ weather. The Islamic schools of chicago are much better though and one of the best in the country.

Orange county CA is also very good.

Dearborn Michigan??? really, I dont like that place though, its sooo old and depressing. I mean Dearborn is ok but the entire city in general is not that good for living. Dont feel safe living there

yakubpasha

Where I live here in Sacramento California we have a strong Muslim community. And we also have one of the most praised Islamic schools in the US, Al-Arqam school. It is an IB (International Baccalaureate) school and from I understand it is either "one of the" or "is the" only Islamic school to be granted IB status.

We have about 7 masajid in our area, with a huge mix of people, with a large concentration being south Asian. The masjid I go to, Annur, is one of the best. We have several Halal markets, a MAS (Muslim Amerian Society) chapter... we do have one or two "progressive" Masajid that tend to be a bit more liberal than I personally care for, but for the most part we're mostly strictly Sunnah.

The cons? Well... there are some cons. Lets just say that our ummah - for all its great numbers - is just not very motivated unless free food is involved :p

I lived in Sacramento California for 6 months in Carmichael, there was only one masjid around and man i dont know what to say about this masjid. It was like a dating center ,in Ramadan all men n women used to sit together and eat. The Imam was some dude who had no idea what he was talking about. How far from Carmichael is this masjid Annur?

DanyalSAC

I lived in Sacramento California for 6 months in Carmichael, there was only one masjid around and man i dont know what to say about this masjid. It was like a dating center ,in Ramadan all men n women used to sit together and eat. The Imam was some dude who had no idea what he was talking about. How far from Carmichael is this masjid Annur?

Well Carmichael is a suburb of Sac. Its probably about 30 minutes north of the city. Masjid Annur is on 65th street down on the south end of town. You must be referring to the one up next to the college. There is an Islamic center there too. They did have a singles night once where what you described happened: eligible single men & women sat together to meet, but there was a chaperon at each table.

http://mas-ssf-sac.org/flier/Muslim Singles Event.html here is a description of it. They are doing it again soon too.

But yes they are known to be very progressive.

MuslimStudent

Columbus, OH

Reigh, NC

Wow, mashAllah I would not think these cities would have big muslim communities.

Dearborn sounds pretty attractive

New York, I really doubt I would like living there.

Please post your US Muslim communities if you truly believe it is large, active and following Islam.

MuslimStudent

Wikipedia:

In the 2000 census, Arab Americans comprised 30% of Dearborn's population (~100,000 people). More Iraqi immigrants have been arriving since the continued war in their country. The majority of more recent Arab immigrants are Muslims, in contrast to the predominately Christian Arabs who immigrated to Metro Detroit in the first half of the twentieth century. Lebanese Americans are still the largest proportion of Arab Americans in Dearborn.

icadams

Just about any major city in Southern California will have an active Muslim community, masjids and more. Orange County is definitely a big one, particularly around Irvine. Just live around any of the universities and you will be set.

IslamIsTheFuture

알라후 아크바르-Allah Akbar
Salam Alekum

MashAllah we have a very strong Muslim Community here in Vienna, Virginia. We have very diverse Muslim Community.. We have different acitivities for men and women.. InshAllah we are opening a new Masjid and its huge and much bigger.. InshAllah we planning to build extra floors for school and university.. Also Funeral home and many more InshAllah.. :) website ---> http://www.ihcproject.com/

We also have other masjid and centers that are not far from IHC..

Islamic Center Of Washington DC
Mustafa Center Masjid
Islamic Center Of Northern Virginia.. aka Jami'a Masjid
Dar Al-Hijrah Islamic Center
Dar ul Huda
Idara Dawat-O-Irshad
Islamic Foundation of America
ADAMS Center (All Dulles Area Muslim Society)

DanyalSAC

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't Dearborn heavily Shia? I ask because I saw a documentary featuring the Dearborn Muslims and most of them interviewed were Shiite; they are in the process of building the largest mosque in the US and it was clearly Shiite.

MuslimStudent

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't Dearborn heavily Shia? I ask because I saw a documentary featuring the Dearborn Muslims and most of them interviewed were Shiite; they are in the process of building the largest mosque in the US and it was clearly Shiite.

Yes, I read about it yesterday. I think they've already built that mosque.
also Dearborn is 30% Arab-American and many are not muslims.

I guess Dearborn would be a good place for someone looking for a big Arab community rather than Muslim on. Idk.