Lower garments above ankles

Discussion in 'Islamic Discussion' started by -Marwan-, Mar 7, 2012.

1. -Marwan-
    sunnah

-Marwan- Junior Member

Slave of Allah SWT
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0
    :salam2:

18. Men should wear their lower garments above the ankles (Tirmidhi)
    19. Those who wear their lower garments below their ankles will on the day of judgement
    have fire on their ankles and will not be looked upon with mercy by Allah (Mishkaat)

Can anyone explain why the people who have their lower garments below their ankles will have fire on the day of judgement?

:wasalam:
  2. Precious Star

Precious Star Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +228 / 21
    AT the time of the Holy Prophet (PBUH), it was common practice amongst the (male) non-muslim nobility to wear their garments to their feet. As Islam was envisioned to be the great equalizer and has no such hierarchy, the Prophet PBUH wanted the muslims to distinguish themselves from the non-muslim nonbelievers.

Obvioiusly, this distinction does not apply anymore as in modern times it is not just the "upper classes" who wear their trousers to their feet.
  3. Musalmaan

Musalmaan Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0
    Cannot confirm what you've said regarding how the nobility of the Prophets SAW time used to wear their garments. I know this much though that the prohibition of wearing your lower garment below the ankle for men still exists and cannot be ignored just because of the times we live in.
  4. Precious Star

Ratings Received:
    +228 / 21
    What was the rationale behind it, then? Every Islamic rule that is of a practical nature has a logic behind it; what is the logic behind the "above the ankles" rule? I am not arguing with you; I am truly interested.
  5. Um Ibrahim
    Thinking

Um Ibrahim Alhamdulilah :)

Home page:
    Ratings Received:
    +214 / 4

Because the Prophet said so...isn't that enough reason? Some things should just be left at that.
  6. muslimshabs
    Busy

muslimshabs Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0
    Asalamu alaikum...

please have a look at this... it should be very beneficial inshallah...:)

The Issue of Isbaal According to the Qur'an & Sunnah by Dr Saleh-as-Saleh
  7. Tabassum07

Tabassum07 Smile for Allah

Ratings Received:
    +436 / 5

Dear sister, Allah SWT has given the rule, why do we need to look for the logic behind it? As muslims, we hear and we obey, right?

I once heard a lecture from Brother Abu Musab where he says that when he was young his mother used to dress him like that where his garment was above his ankle, and he would not feel in the least bit proud or arrogant. But if he wore his clothes below the ankle, sweeping to the feet, a feeling of pride would enter his heart.

But sister, even when we can't fathom the reasoning behind a ruling, we still do it regardless, but true faith is when you follow something because you believe Allah SWT can never be wrong.
  8. IbnAdam77
    Happy

IbnAdam77 Travelling towards my grave.

To obey Allah and His messenger (pbuh)
    Ratings Received:
    +48 / 0
    Assalam 'Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

Whenever we get sick, we go to doctors. However, when we have a matter related to Deen, we just do what our LOGIC says.

Can anybody tell me why do we have to renew Wudoo (Ablution) after answering the call of nature? Why not just wash the part which got dirty? Or if someone may say its to get more clean, why don't Islam tell to have a full bath after that? ANY LOGIC from our weak minds?

Wassalam 'ALaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Precious Star

Ratings Received:
    +228 / 21
    The issue is not do we NEED to look for the logic.

As i indicated quite clearly in my comment, I am interested in the logic behind it.

Do you understand the difference?

And, logic also promotes understanding and enhances the desire to follow the particular rule. It is NOT up to you or I or IbnAdam77 or anyone else on this forum to be making assertions about who has true faith and who doesn't -- which is what I find members on this forum do quite unabashadly Astaghfirrullah. We all know that men disregard this rule. If understanding the reasoning behind it will promote adherence, then where is the harm? Will it cause fitnah throughout the ummah?
  10. Precious Star

Ratings Received:
    +228 / 21
    Dear IbnAdam77,

This thread is not about the call of nature and understanding such matters. Your email was sarcastic and, in my view, the comparison you drew to toilet matters was incredibly immature.

See my response to TAbassum above. I understand that English might not be your first language, so perhaps my response to her has made things a bit clearer to you.

I disagree with you that "we just do what our LOGIC says". If that is what you do, that's fine, but don't ascribe that comment to every single muslim walking on this earth.

Please, mere mortals, let Allah SWT be the judge. Not you. On the day of judgment, your opinion as to why someone does or doesn't do wuduu after the call of nature is not going to matter. What matters will be Allah's opinion.

Anyway, I'm not a man so at the end of the day the subject of this thread is useless to me!
  11. Tabassum07

Tabassum07 Smile for Allah

Ratings Received:
    +436 / 5
    Sorry sis, I didn't mean to rile you up. I also tried to give you the logic as best I know and have heard. But please understand that I wasn't bashing you or pointing fingers at you specifically. My statement was general.
  12. IbnAdam77
    Happy

Ratings Received:
    +48 / 0

1) The above response of me to this thread was not dedicated to any special person or group, but it was general.

2) If any brother or sister is offended by it, please forgive me because it is not my intention at all.

3) My mother tongue is not english, so for sure my english does have limitations.

4) Dear sister Precious Star! I never mentioned your name above, however you have replied to my thread in an angry tone, naming me. I in no way will ever say I am the Judge, for indeed I can never be.

5) If my post contains any unacceptable words, please notify it to a moderator and it will be edited or deleted inshaAllah. I ask a moderator to do it.

6) Islam is the Deen of Fact and LOGIC. However, it does not give permission to us to give Fatwa on our own opinion. The Fact and LOGIC in Islam always comes with Daleel from Quran and Sunnah.

7) My dear sister Precious Star has said, "Obvioiusly, this distinction does not apply anymore as in modern times it is not just the "upper classes" who wear their trousers to their feet." I kindly ask to provide appropriate Daleel for that, and scholarly opinion.

8) I have seen the same topic has been discussed here often, and almost always there has been posts about "LOGIC" of Isbal. My previous post was made just for that, because I have heard from scholars that refutation and nobody could carryon anymore. (In the meantime I strongly accept my english limitations, and that my explanation or questions might have some difficulties. It was written to the best of my ability.

Please forgive me.

Wassalam 'Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh
  13. Musalmaan

Musalmaan Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0

I will try and answer with what littel knowledge I have acquired.

Not everything in Islam has a logical reason to it. Yes, Islam is a very logical and reasonable religion. But there are somethings which Allah and his Prophet SAW have commanded us to do and we do. We have faith in what has been prescribed to us and we try to to follow these instructions.

For example, why do we pray 5 times a day and not 6 or 7? I personally don't see any apparent logic or reason behind praying 5 and not 6, 7 or 8 obligatory prayers. But I know that Allah has commanded us to pray 5 times a day and Allah willing I do so.

I think its good to ask questions so I'm not criticising you for asking. Islam encourages us to do so. But in this case I would quote the Noble Quran, Surah Al-Ahzab Verse 36:

''It is not for a believing man or a believing woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decided a matter, that they should [thereafter] have any choice about their affair. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger has certainly strayed into clear error.''

14. MohammedMaksudul

MohammedMaksudul May Allah Forgive us

Student
    Ratings Received:
    +5 / 0

Exactly, this is what I find. Today we have to go on and on explaining the logic behind every single thing Islam has asked us to do. Rather than thinking that this is from Allah, the Almighty and we follow no questions asked. Today we see so many documentaries, lectures being made to explain the importance of hijab (its benefits). However, do we find any such thing at the time of the Prophet :saw:. I mean to say that we do not see that it was the way of the Salafs to do dawah in this method (trying to explain the materialistic benefit of each everything in Islam to others). Rather the first thing they would go and talk to people about would be Tawheed. They would call people to the worship of only one Ilah and the rejection of all other false deities (idols, human beings, etc). Because if one is certain about the existence and the worship of the one true Lord, then everything else becomes easier to accept.

Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala says in the Quran (interpretation of the meaning of which is):

"The Messenger has believed in what was revealed to him from his Lord, and [so have] the believers. All of them have believed in Allah and His angels and His books and His messengers, [saying], "We make no distinction between any of His messengers." And they say, "We hear and we obey. [We seek] Your forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the [final] destination." [2:285]

Here is a beautiful response to a similar question:

15. ximkoyra

ximkoyra Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0
    I have to agree with Precious Star and say it was an arrogant and prideful thing to do. Here's a hadith from Bukhari supporting that view:

16. IbnAdam77
    Happy

Ratings Received:
    +48 / 0

JazakAllahu Khairan dear brother MuhammadMaksudul for the very beneficial post. InshaAllah that will benefit us all.

:)

Wassalam 'Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh
  17. Musalmaan

Musalmaan Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0

A few Fridays ago the Imam at my masjid was talking about this very issue. He quouted a hadith from a Sahabi of the Prophet SAW. Unfortunately I've forgotten the name of the Sahabi, it may well have been Abdullah ibn Umar (RA), but I do remember the Imam saying arrogance or conceit is not mentioned in the hadith.

Either way the point I'm trying to make is that the ruling of wearing your garments above the ankles for men still applies even today. Islam's rulings are for all people and for all time.

I read something interesting on Islam q and a, that those individuals that say they don't feel pride when wearing their lower garment below their ankles can they be completely sure of that? Isn't that pride in itself to say that you're not doing it out of pride?

Also this was the practice of the Prophet SAW. Was he someone who was arrogant or concieted? Of course not and yet he still wore his lower garment above his ankles.

18. MohammedMaksudul

MohammedMaksudul May Allah Forgive us

Student
    Ratings Received:
    +5 / 0

Barak Allahu Feekum!
  19. Ayyub

Ayyub Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0
    Bismillaahir Rahmaanir Raheem, wa salaatu wa salaamu ala arasoolullahi wa ala alihe wa sahbihe ajma'een

The Ruling Concerning Al-Isbal in Clothing

The Ruling on Isbal Without Conceit, and if one is Forced to do it

Allaahe Barak Feekum
  20. Precious Star

Ratings Received:
    +228 / 21
    Hmmm. I live in a climate where it is easily -20 degrees for 4 months out of the year. Another 2 months it is still below zero. Snow, ice, sleet....all of that is par for the course in my neck of the woods.

According to this Hadith, a man must wear his trousers above the ankle. I can only imagine what that can lead to in such a climate. Frostbite being one.