Marrying older women

booya

:salam2:

As we know, Rasulullah Muhammad SAW married Khadija RA who was 15 years older than him. It is a beautiful story of our Prophet's first love. I still think this is rather extraordinary since we are repeatedly conditioned that the men should be older.

Do you brothers and sisters have any stories of success where the husband is younger?

yasak80

Assalamu aleikum brother,
this thread has reminded me ,my story a few days ago..

A few days ago, I was instroduced with a man for a marriage interview.
He came to see me as he knows that I am 2 years older than him.
but while we were talking, we noticed that the age is not 2 between us it is 3 !!!
He made it a problem and refused me because of this :)))

and also, around me , men refuse women without any interview, If she is older....
they dont even want to see ...
so infact I was suprised how this boy came to see me !!
but the result supported my before experiences...

our beloved prophet Hazrat Mohammad loved his wife as a human,
he is a perfect muslim and human ...

Muslim brothers who seem very pious etc. etc. looks for a young body unfortunatelly,
some of them say that woman are getting older when they gave a birth to their children etc. etc. or they have a fear that ıf years pass, they can search another woman who is young.
but in islam life is now. Nobody can know when we will die except Allah SWT.

complex_man

i have stories of destruction when the husband being younger.

young should marry young as evident from one of the hadiths of Prophet Muhammad SAW. age gap is a big problem at least in my area.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
^Ohh mashaa'Allah. It just goes to show that age is just a stupid barrier these days..

Yeah, granddad was 19 when they married and grandma was 26. They had three kids, and my mother was the middle of the three. Grandma died in 1995 and granddad in 2003. They are buried beside each other in the cemetary of a small rural church in west Tennessee.

Yeah, too many people make a big deal about age. It can be an issue sometimes, but if two people are in love, it doesn't matter.

Hearts of Greenbirds

nope havent seen it yet :) but guys remember age is just a number

Remember the prophet sws didnt say age he said first of all the Deen
one should marry a person for her deen
and you know the rest wal hamdulilah it is the deen that lead you not the age i am just sayin

xAllahKnowsBestx

Yeah, granddad was 19 when they married and grandma was 26. They had three kids, and my mother was the middle of the three. Grandma died in 1995 and granddad in 2003. They are buried beside each other in the cemetary of a small rural church in west Tennessee.

Yeah, too many people make a big deal about age. It can be an issue sometimes, but if two people are in love, it doesn't matter.

That's pretty rare in the West. I've seen people who freak out over hearing a five year age gap. Which is ridiculous. But yeah, age doesn't matter. Deen is all that matters, like Sis. Umm Maskiinah said up^ there.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaikum,

This reminds me of the discussion in psychology class about age difference. It is something that does not happen a lot here. According to my pychology book, the reason is that there are more women around and our society makes it acceptable to marry younger women. The marriage of an older woman with a younger man is usually frowned upon.....Someone posted the example of Anna Nicole Smith's marriage to Marshall. They had a huge gap between them and that had the media rolling with news!!!

I know it aint a muslim example, but this age gap is problamatic to all societies....we have made a norm and anyone who breaks that norm-muslim or not is looked at as if they did something terribly wrong!!! subhana'Allah

Indeed age is just a number...we'll just have to keep that in mind.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
That's pretty rare in the West. I've seen people who freak out over hearing a five year age gap. Which is ridiculous. But yeah, age doesn't matter. Deen is all that matters, like Sis. Umm Maskiinah said up^ there.

Also consider that this was back in the late 1930's/early 1940's when they were married. It was absolutely unheard of in that time for the woman to be 7 years older than the man, and also to be in her late 20's before she married. Almost everyone was married by their early 20's back then.

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Most definately age is just a number. Youre not marrying a persons age you are marrying a person. It matters first the deen and Iman of the person most important of all. Next is whether or not you get along with that person and what each of you can bring to the marriage.

Marriage is a give and take and compromise all the way. I have known many people the same age whose marriage didnt last and many where the woman was younger by a few years and the marriage didnt last. The marriage didnt break up because of the age of the two people involved.

IMAN is the most important reason to marry a person not the way they look, how young or old they are, what color their skin.........none of that will matter in the marriage itself. If they are pious people who fear Allah above all else you have a really good chance of that marriage working out. It takes 2 to make a marriage work and it takes alot of compassion and understanding. When you find the right person but the woman happens to be older would you turn away from what Allah provides you even if it is the best thing for you? That is something you should think about.

Pray istakhara before committing yourself to any marriage regardless of age or any other circumstance because everything is in Allahs hands and Allah knows best!

wa salam

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
I have a fair few old high school friends who were married at 18, 19, 20 to people they dated in high school. Many of them are now divorced, and it wasn't because of their age.

The number one reason that most marriages end in divorce (at least here in the USA) is money problems. The only argument I can remember my parents ever having when I was a kid was about money.

I suppose that's fitting since our society has become so obsessed with money and material things.