Muslim-Christian soccer

umm hussain

OSLO (Reuters) - Muslim and Christian leaders in Oslo scrapped a soccer match meant to foster understanding between religions Saturday after the imams refused to play a team that included women priests.

The imams said physical contact with women would be inappropriate, NRK public television said, and the Norwegian Christians refused a proposal of a male-only clash. The match was to have followed talks meant to build bridges between faiths in Norway.

"Some say that bodily contact is the problem. It leads to special feelings that can lead to something forbidden," imam Senaid Kobilica told NRK public television in explanation.

A woman priest from Norway's Lutheran state church, who was part of the Christian team, said that barring women from the pitch would be discrimination.

"It's disappointing because it means deciding to sacrifice someone from one's own side -- women, who historically are those who have had to give way," priest Kjersti Oestland Tveit said. "It's a setback for sexual equality in 2007."

Her objection prompted the Christian captain to cancel the match. "There are both men and women priests in Oslo, and you can't have a dialogue in which everyone can take part and then have a game where only men are allowed," Trond Bakkevig said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070507/od_nm/soccer_dc;_ylt=ArFRnyTnlcK.eEeReDAkWjrtiBIF

Waterdrop

Banned
HI,
perhaps they were more worried about being beaten by the women.:hijabi: I believe Muslim men have the ability to show constraint when it comes to these "special feelings".:cool:

dna1987

Muslim Guy
HI,
perhaps they were more worried about being beaten by the women.:hijabi: I believe Muslim men have the ability to show constraint when it comes to these "special feelings".:cool:

I guess you are right in a way. Muslims prefer primary self-control (as in the temptation not being there in the first place), but as God fearing people, and as people who pray 5 times a day, etc, Muslim men should have much better secondary self control too. Like that Sahabi (forgot his name) who was to be tempted by the most beautiful lady in the land who was paid a 1000 dinars by the polytheist arabs. When she approached him in a secluded area, he turned around and closed his eyes, and shouted at her.... watch the ahmed the repenter video; I got this story from there lol.

Anyways, I think the Imams aren't doing anything "un-progressive". They do not want physical contact with a person of the opposite gender that they are not mahram to; it's a noble thing to do for one's wife. In fact, if more people waited for there spouses properly (myself included) then relationships in general would be more fruitful than they are currently today. Salam alikum.

Waterdrop

Banned
I agree that mixed football is inappropriate. I don't understand why two matches could not have been arranged: one for Muslim imams vs. the Christian priests and another for the female Christian priests vs the wives of the Muslim imams!

Even in the U.S. mixed soccer has not been permitted and mixed golf has been controversial!

Hi,
You would be mistaken. There are many co-ed soccer leagues in the USA. As a matter of fact co-ed sports are quite popular. I play on a co-ed softball team.

Izzu

:salam2:
Indeed a muslim should be able to control himself in various situations.
Having said that I guess it is better to nip the evil in the bud.....
I believe we dont need to try situations that are not permitted by Allah swt and his messenger pbuh.
There is hikmah in what our prophet pbuh said and I guess we dont need to test everything on our own. I am writing these comments because of a tiny bit of experince in life. Dear brothers and sisters, just follow Quran wa sunnah totally. Dont let shaitan let you astray.
Allah knows best.
:wasalam:

Waterdrop

Banned
Hi,
I don't know if there are any semi pro level co-ed leagues that are co-ed in any sport but I could be mistaken. There are thousands of leagues that are organized and just played for fun that are well organized at different skill levels.

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine

A woman priest from Norway's Lutheran state church, who was part of the Christian team, said that barring women from the pitch would be discrimination.

As far as I know, women priests wear modestly in almost the same way as Muslim women (even when they go out of the convent)... If a woman priest is in favour of physical/close contact with men, why should she wear conservative cloths in the first place???
Or are women priests discriminating against themselves when they wear such cloths!!!

That's just contradictory!

In my point of view, there are better ways for adherents of all religions to reach mutual understanding (conferences, healthy discussions, doing things lawful in both religions, etc)... However, this does not mean that we compliment at the expense of our religion...

Allahu Akbar

UmmOf3

Salaam aleikum

Convent? Thats nuns, not priests... ;)

Here in Norway we are not catholics, so there is few nuns here, and also, there is females who are priests, just like males who are priests. By priest, i mean, the "imam" of the church, if you understand what I mean?

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
I thought that the purpose of such talks and interactions was to foster greater understanding. The seperation of men and women who are not related is a fundamental of our deen.

The Christians , by claiming this is discrimination, are saying in effect that our way is better, yours' is inferior. They refuse to see any merit in this practice. Like spoiled children, if they can't have their own way, they are taking their ball and going home.

kayleigh

I believe what you're refering to is intermural leagues. They're in high schools, work places, colleges, etc. And they're co-ed.

A Muslim-Christian soccer match is a cute idea. I think the imams should have proposed that the female priests play with some sisters from the congregation. The end result would still be the same since the sisters are obviously Muslims and the Christian women are, well, Christian.

Waterdrop

Banned
I thought that the purpose of such talks and interactions was to foster greater understanding. The seperation of men and women who are not related is a fundamental of our deen.

The Christians , by claiming this is discrimination, are saying in effect that our way is better, yours' is inferior. They refuse to see any merit in this practice. Like spoiled children, if they can't have their own way, they are taking their ball and going home.

Isn't asking what you are asking the same thing? Christians don't believe in the same thing so i'd suggest tolerance.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Isn't asking what you are asking the same thing? Christians don't believe in the same thing so i'd suggest tolerance.

Hi,

I'm sorry for butting in here, and i haven't read the article, so i apologize, but i think one thing should be said though...

No it is not the same thing. Christians do not believe in what? Separation? True they do not. BUT there is nothing in their religion which says they MUST play together. Correct?

Therefore it is NOT the same. By playing separately are they comprimising their beliefs in any way? Not really right? But for a Muslim woman to play alongside the men, and be seen in a position which cannot properly cover her modesty and have contact and such is strictly against Islam!

So you are asking us to comprimise our beliefs! We are not talking about customs here. We tolerate the non-Muslims fine, but this is not really included is it? To go against what we believe is right?

Is discrimination and all together co-edness in Christianity? They why don't you have a female Pope? Just curious, really.

just my little voice with all you big guys ;)

T

The Truth

Hi,
Personally I don't believe the Christians should play with the muslims since Christians consider women in higher reguards than muslims do. It would be like feeding into their intolerance.

UmmOf3

Well okay, they did not play anyway, so whats the big deal now. The conference went on, and was nice and quiet. Alhamdulillah.

The truth was not exactly as told by media though.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Hi,
Personally I don't believe the Christians should play with the muslims since Christians consider women in higher reguards than muslims do. It would be like feeding into their intolerance.

Excuse Me? I just re-read that, and I was confused as to the meaning and intent behind that comment.

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
Excuse Me? I just re-read that, and I was confused as to the meaning and intent behind that comment.
Nevermind such peopel sister. Not even worth responding to; because their brains are spoonfed by media and they come to sites like TTI not to know but to infuse theire pre-assumed polarized prejudices.

I saw what he wrote before u did but I commented only when u were upset by it ;)
Wassalam