Muslim group issues warning to ‘South Park’

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
With regards to not reacting when 'Jesus' is made fun of.
The problem is that the guy on the cross is not Jesus, nor is the guy with an ellipse over his head. Similarly the lady in many of the pictures is not Mary. Making fun of that guy on those pictures has nothing to do with Islam and so doesn't warrant any reaction. In fact those figures are condemnable and are definitely not sacred as far as Islam goes. Venerating those figures would constitute kufr.

:salam2:

Well even the person they depicted on their immoral *cartoon* show is not Prophet Muhammad SallAllahu Alleihi Wasallam, so why should you react ?

I understand that there exists huge theological and historic difference in our understanding of life of Isa and Maryam (peace be upon them both) with the Christians. However, their honor is something that we should concern ourselves with. We are not calling people towards Kufr by voicing our opinions.

It is a given that any muslim who voices his concern regarding Isa and Maryam (peace be upon them) depiction on the cartoon show, would mention their position in Islam and why muslims care about them. That is, if muslims do care about it !

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

OsMaN_93

Here to help
salam alikom,

it's a cartoon people, stop being so dramatic. These fanatics are the root cause of why so many people hate on Islam. This is rediculous, you should be raising awareness about how this 'revolutionislam' group do not represent Islam at all - supporting 9/11, and osama bin laden etc.

really?

peace

Abu Talib

Feeling low
It's important to show some kind of reaction to these things to let people know that Muslims are alive and aware (albeit embarrassingly powerless to do anything to influence or prevent such things from occurring). Ignoring it altogether implies weakness of faith and perhaps even hypocrisy.

The reason muslims' reaction to these issues goes over board is that Muslims dont desecrate others' gods/deities/holy-figures so it's an insult + injustice when somebody make fun of Muhammad (as) or Allah (swt).

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/86109

With regards to not reacting when 'Jesus' is made fun of.
The problem is that the guy on the cross is not Jesus, nor is the guy with an ellipse over his head. Similarly the lady in many of the pictures is not Mary. Making fun of that guy on those pictures has nothing to do with Islam and so doesn't warrant any reaction. In fact those figures are condemnable and are definitely not sacred as far as Islam goes. Venerating those figures would constitute kufr.

Akhi excellent fatwa

I remember in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia they had boycotted all Danish products when they made the cartoon people just spilled out the products from the shelves from every super market. Some companies associated with them literally begged the people to stop doing it.

arzafar

Well even the person they depicted on their immoral *cartoon* show is not Prophet Muhammad SallAllahu Alleihi Wasallam, so why should you react ?

I understand that there exists huge theological and historic difference in our understanding of life of Isa and Maryam (peace be upon them both) with the Christians. However, their honor is something that we should concern ourselves with. We are not calling people towards Kufr by voicing our opinions.

It is a given that any muslim who voices his concern regarding Isa and Maryam (peace be upon them) depiction on the cartoon show, would mention their position in Islam and why muslims care about them. That is, if muslims do care about it !

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

the guy in the picture is supposed to be god/son of god :astag:, i am not going to lose sleep over somebody making fun of that guy. On the other hand, the figure in the cartoons was intended to be Muhammad (as). Big difference imo!

however, i would condemn if somebody mocks the aspects of of Isa (as) that Islam tells me to believe for eg. bringing the dead to life.

Valerie

the guy in the picture is supposed to be god/son of god :astag:, i am not going to lose sleep over somebody making fun of that guy. On the other hand, the figure in the cartoons was intended to be Muhammad (as). Big difference imo!

however, i would condemn if somebody mocks the aspects of of Isa (as) that Islam tells me to believe for eg. bringing the dead to life.

I haven't seen it, but Muhammad was supposedly wearing a bear suit. If you
looked at it, would you really be thinking.. they're actually portraying him?

If anyone has actually watched it, I'd be interested to hear what their thoughts are. As it is, all of us are just going off impressions here...

But this does bring a question up for me... Why is it okay to make fun of Jesus, but not Muhammad. They're both part of Islam, why is one more acceptable?

Abu Talib

Feeling low
'South Park' parody of the Prophet Muhammed is censored following radical Islamists' warning

South Park's parody of the Prophet Muhammed has morphed into a parody of self-censorship.

The show's creators, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, came under fire after last week's 200th episode of the Comedy Central series featured the Islamic prophet dressed in a bear suit.

The duo received a "warning" on a radical Islamic website: "We have to warn Matt [Stone] and Trey [Parker] that what they are doing is stupid," a posting on revolutionmuslim.com read.

"They will probably end up like Theo Van Gogh for airing this show," the site noted, referencing the Dutch filmmaker who was murdered in 2004 over a documentary he made that addressed violence against Muslim women.

On last night's episode, the prophet was referred to only with a "bleep" sound and his image was blocked out with the word "censored."

According to the "South Park" Web site, the studio added additional audio bleeps. Thursday afternoon, the duo released a statement in response to Comedy Central's decision to censor their show.

"In the 14 years we’ve been doing South Park we have never done a show that we couldn’t stand behind. We delivered our version of the show to Comedy Central and they made a determination to alter the episode. It wasn’t some meta-joke on our part. Comedy Central added the bleeps. In fact, Kyle’s customary final speech was about intimidation and fear. It didn’t mention Muhammad at all but it got bleeped too. We’ll be back next week with a whole new show about something completely different and we’ll see what happens to it."

Parker and Stone have parodied Muhammed before, first in 2001 and again in 2006, though Comedy Central censored the latter bit, which never aired.

http://www.nydailynews.com

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

If anyone has actually watched it, I'd be interested to hear what their thoughts are. As it is, all of us are just going off impressions here...

But this does bring a question up for me... Why is it okay to make fun of Jesus, but not Muhammad. They're both part of Islam, why is one more acceptable?

Salaamalaykum sister,

It is better not to watch such things. They are trying to get people curious about it, so that they attract more viewers and eventually get higher ratings etc. It is better that we protect our eyes and ears from such immoral things.

There can be only one impression. Why go such a long way just to have a laugh and hurt the sentiments of an entire people ? Was it a good example of exercising 'freedom of speech' in America ?

Also, there is nothing like unrestricted freedom of speech. There are certain topics that they can never poke fun on and get away with. And they know it. They are trying to get away with offending people and attracting more attentions by propaganda.

And yes, you are right. They are both prophets, who tried to make Allah's word supreme on earth. We should feel offended if either is insulted and we should let our feelings known so that we are not made soft targets in the future by media outlets.

Wasalaamalaykum wa rahmatullahi

arzafar

NO it is not ok to make fun of Isa (as) jesus (pbuh). In fact any muslim who does that is an apostate. same goes for other prophets and their holy scriptures Torah and Injeel. Muslims do feel aggrieved when somebody actually makes fun of Isa (as) by mocking aspects that actually relate to him. For eg. his miracles.

however, christians draw pictures in which they depict jesus on a cross or doing some other things. The long haired man in those pictures is NOT jesus son of Mary. However since Christians venerate those pictures, muslims don't make fun of 'that man' found in these pictures http://spiritlessons.com/Documents/Jesus_Pictures/Jesus_Christ_Pictures.htm

anybody who venerates those pictures is not a muslim; those images and persons in them are not part of Islam. For muslims the man depicted in those pictures is not Isa(as).

If a non-muslim makes fun of 'the man in the picture' (which is not jesus as nobody has seen him), there is no reason for us to feel aggrieved. The images used by the Christians do not relate to Isa (as); they are fabrication/creative imagination much like the rest of the Christian theology. i dont know who the model in those pictures is but im willing to bet my life, its not Jesus or Isa (as). Muslims do have plenty to be aggrieved with the Christians depicting Isa (as) in images and speaking lies about him and his message.

I havent seen the south park parody. I was referring to the earlier caricatures published in Denmark.

kayleigh

and it wasn't even Muhammad in the bear suit - it was Santa.

Revolution Muslim got shut down, even its cache is gone on google. They're hypocrites - they use their freedom of speech and expression to threaten others who do the same.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
and it wasn't even Muhammad in the bear suit - it was Santa.

Revolution Muslim got shut down, even its cache is gone on google. They're hypocrites - they use their freedom of speech and expression to threaten others who do the same.

That's good news.. Extremists who try to spread their corrupted beliefs shouldn't be tolerated.

I dont know how they have the nerve to support the people who have killed hundreds of muslims in countries like Egypt and Algeria. Mindless extremists !

May Allah guide them. Ameen

wonnee3

Trying 2 plz ALLAH
ASA, i would have 2 agree w/ bii7 and OsMaN_93, i would add that as believers we should've been n a uproar over the depiction of the prophet Isa (ra). r we not as believers supposed 2 believe n ALL of the Prophets? so where is the outrage over that? or is it that ol' hypocrisy side peeking it's ugly head? can't really get my head around the whole concept of how we "myself included" pick and choose what and where we defend Islam. May ALLAH make us all more mindful of our duties. ASA

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

The so called 'revolution' group supports people who blew up innocent muslims in the 90's in Egypt and Algeria.

They are extremists and need to learn and understand Islam from the scholars of this Ummah and not by their whims and desires.

We have to condemn those who support slaughter of innocent muslims.

Sakeena

I told my girlfriend about it as it was coming on last week and she became upset and told me to turn the TV off. So I turned off the tube. I saw some of it on the news though and he was in a cute teddy bear outfit subhanAllah. I thought they drew him as a person but for some reason as a bear. are they suggesting that the Prophet (saw) is an animal subhanAllah?? :girl3:

Almaas

are they suggesting that the Prophet (saw) is an animal subhanAllah?? :girl3:

They didn't wanna show his face to apparently cause controversy, so they were trying to suggest it was him in the suit, to avoid actually depicting him. He's not supposed to be the bear, just inside it.

Sakeena

They didn't wanna show his face to apparently cause controversy, so they were trying to suggest it was him in the suit, to avoid actually depicting him. He's not supposed to be the bear, just inside it.

Oooh! LOL sorry! That one jumped right over my head hehe... no this is no laughing matter... hehe I was a bit slow then... subhanAllah... :redface:

Valerie

I'm thinking it was a reference to that teacher whose kids named the teddy bear Mohammad and there was a big controversy about it.

Almaas

I'm thinking it was a reference to that teacher whose kids named the teddy bear Mohammad and there was a big controversy about it.

I was wondering about that, if it was a deliberate link.. allah mua3lam. Either way they got the publicity and attention they wanted.

omar162

Peace Mercy And Blessing of Allah be upon all of us.

I really think that some of you are unaware of the good works that the brothers at revolutionmuslims are doing and you are criticising them:angryblue:

They were the one to raise the issue, and they had the courage to "raise" their voice while those who are criticising the brothers would have done nothing. If you do not want to do anything, dont hinder others who are working.

Anyway, read the following

Threatening people with violence and praising bin laden is what you consider "good works"? Please stop adhering to these kinds of destructive ideology that have no place in Islam.