MUSLIM or ARAB names?

Ashkaw

Assalam alaykum my brothers and sisters,

I think many people are confused to differentiate Islamic and Arabic/ Muslim and Arab. I can not understand when it started. Especial here about names. People will tell you, you have muslim names. The question is:

What are the muslim names?

Let me make a point here, If Omar, Abubakar, Ali, Othman, and so on(the companians of the Prophet MUHAMMAD (Peace and blessings of Allah be up on him) are muslim names, so what was Omar called in Pre Islam (before Islam), what was Ali called in Pre Islam, what was Othman, Abubakr, Abdul rahman bin Auf, and many, what were they called?

It should be remembered even Abu Jahl (laanatullah alayh) was his name Omar. Another atheist called Walid bin Mughaira and many were not muslims but their names are our names. My muslim brothers and sisters we need to educate

The answer is there are no Islam names. What Rasul Muhammad (Peace and blessings of Allah be up on him) told us is to name our children with good names. And that is it.

And comment? Welcome Inshallah

Mairo

Maryama
Yes, very good point. I think a good muslim name is any name that has a good meaning associated with it. In my understanding, it is not necessary to have an arabic name. Although many of the arabic names and meanings are quite beautiful.

When I first got married I took my husband's paternal name. Neither one of us understood at the time that a woman is not supposed to take a different last name. After learning of the importance of keeping the identity of a person intact through keeping the father's name, I have since researched the meaning of my maiden last name. It is a traditional English name and it has a good meaning, so I have now legally changed it back.

However, I have now come to find out that my first name (Marcy) does not have the best meaning (martial or warlike, based off of the name of the god of war), so I am looking into changing my first name. I am not sure if I will change it legally though. It is strange to think of choosing a new name for myself! Years ago when I lived in Africa people called me by the name Maryama instead, which I loved and actually always preferred to my birth name. But I am also considering choosing a name which has an opposite meaning to my birth name, a name that would mean "peace" or "serenity" instead.

Does anyone have any advice about this? Does anyone know if it is a requirement to have your name changed to an islamic name legally?

OsMaN_93

Here to help
Yes, very good point. I think a good muslim name is any name that has a good meaning associated with it. In my understanding, it is not necessary to have an arabic name. Although many of the arabic names and meanings are quite beautiful.

When I first got married I took my husband's paternal name. Neither one of us understood at the time that a woman is not supposed to take a different last name. After learning of the importance of keeping the identity of a person intact through keeping the father's name, I have since researched the meaning of my maiden last name. It is a traditional English name and it has a good meaning, so I have now legally changed it back.

However, I have now come to find out that my first name (Marcy) does not have the best meaning (martial or warlike, based off of the name of the god of war), so I am looking into changing my first name. I am not sure if I will change it legally though. It is strange to think of choosing a new name for myself! Years ago when I lived in Africa people called me by the name Maryama instead, which I loved and actually always preferred to my birth name. But I am also considering choosing a name which has an opposite meaning to my birth name, a name that would mean "peace" or "serenity" instead.

Does anyone have any advice about this? Does anyone know if it is a requirement to have your name changed to an islamic name legally?
salam sis ..
please look into this thread you will find the answer
ps. you should change yr name waslam..:D
this pperson has a similar situation /problem :)

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27831

amjaddamen

brother
brothers and sisters ,
the rule in islam for naming is to choose agood name.prophet used to change bad names ( which has bad meaning ) otherwise , parents can choose.
one important thing to say that most first muslims who spread the deen were arabs so thier names , somehow, concederd muslim names .

Ashkaw

On Muslim Converts Changing Names And Why I Did Not Change Mine

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said:

On the Day of Resurrection you will be called by your names and by your father’s names, so give yourselves good names. (Bukhari)

It is a common practice for Muslim converts to change their name upon converting to Islam. Some do this legally thus changing all their paperwork (social security, id cards, licenses, passport, etc). While others choose to do so more informally. For example, a sister named Kate may be known to the women at the masjid as Amirah while for all business and formal purposes she will use her birth name,Kate.

I have known women converts who have taken both routes. For some, changing the name is important because their birth name had a bad meaning. It is known from hadiths that the Prophet (saw) would change people’s names if they had bad meanings. For example:

Imam al-Bukhari mentioned that Sa`id ibn al-Musayyib said that when his grandfather came to the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), the Prophet asked him about his name. He said, “Hazn” (meaning Hard). The Prophet said, “You are Sahl. (meaning soft, easy).” The man said, “I do not want to change the name that my father gave me.” His grandson Sa`id used to regret and say afterwards that they kept on experiencing the hardness in their family. (Reported by al-Bukhari)

While other Muslim converts may change their name because they feel that they want a name that more reflects their personality or what they would like their personality to become. Such as Aminah (the trustworthy, truthful) or Amatullah (the female servant of Allah).

Most Muslims undergo many lifestyle changes once converting to Islam. Much of their pre-Islamic life will be changed or altered. They are opening a new chapter of their lives and what better way to signify this than changing your name to fit your new identity?

Still others may read a biography of the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), a story of a great Prophet in the Qur’an, or a story of the many great women in Islam. A Muslim may be so impressed and touched by the story they read that it prompts them to change their name and use that particular person as a namesake and a example of what they would hope to be.

Many Muslims and Non Muslims are a little surprised when they hear my name. When I converted to Islam, I wrestled with the idea of changing my name. On the one hand, I felt that it would be a good way to start my new life. I knew that my name did not have a bad meaning. So, that wasn’t an issue for me. I perused books of Muslim baby names thinking one would just pop out at me or I would find one with a particularly good meaning. One day, I came across a name that had the exact same meaning as my given name…..only my name is western and that name was Arabic. This really made me think. What is it about the name that sounds Arabic but has the exact meaning of my name that makes it so superior? Is it the language? I understand when people name themselves and their children after specific people in our history (ie. Muhammad, Umar, Maryam, Khadijah, Fatimah, Aisha). But as for the other names, I don’t think it makes a difference what language or country the name is associated with as long as the meaning is good. I read the biographies of the companions and the great women in the Qur’an and I marvel at their excellence and devotion. I am very impressed by them all, Mash’Allah. I try to take their examples and apply them to my life. Though, that doesn’t extend to my name. To me, my given name is enough and it has a very positive meaning. I like my name and I like my identity as a Muslim with a western name. It has been an ice breaker when giving da’wah because most all non muslims want to hear how I became a Muslim after hearing my name and reaching the conclusion that I converted. So, I feel, keeping my name was the right choice, for me.

On the internet, obviously, I use a pseudo name because I am not comfortable displaying my name on the internet. Old fashioned? Probably.

Basically, changing names is a very personal choice that every Muslim should make for themselves. New converts should not feel pressured to change their names. Yet, they should be supported if they choose to do so. For many it may cause friction in the family. If you suddenly inform your mother that, from now on, you are to be known to her as Amirah rather than Kate, you can probably expect a reaction. So, like every major change, converts should remember to inform those around them in the best manner and with patience.

**This is of course talking about first names as Muslims do not change their surnames( last names, family names). As Allah tells us clearly in the Qur’an to be known by the names of our fathers: “Call them by (the names of) their father’s, that is more just in the sight of Allah…” (Al-Ahzab 33:5)

Amir_of_spain

i disagree with anyone who says there is no such thing as muslim names. Ali, umar, uthman, are all arabic names, but these people were also muslims, hence there is such a thing as muslim names. The majority of people with arabic names are muslim, so how can you say there is no such thing as muslim names? Yes, i do know you dont have to change your name to a arabic-muslim name unless your present one has a bad meaning, hence the hadith about chosing good names.
Someone mentioned, there are people with muslim names eg ali , but are non-muslim, so hence there is no such thing as muslim names. I disagree with this, because such people are in a minority, eg you get africians and indians with english/christain names but are not necessarily christain, yet the majority of people with bibical names are in fact christain. Similarly the majority of people with arabic names are muslim. Also there are arabic names which are not good eg abdulsharr, the servent of evil, thus not all arabic names are muslim, hence there is a division between arabic-muslim names, and non-muslim arabic names.
Sumarry; better to keep a muslim name as it identifies u as a Muslim. And all muslim names have good meaning behind them. Shiekh salem al amry said, why dont we revive the names of the prophets and sahaba, instead of trying to get unique names which no one has heard of before, and often have no meaning, or bad meanings.

Ashkaw

Dear Amir,

The Messanger of Allah (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) never claimed such a thing (muslim names). Our religion is not belong for particular people. This is for the all humanity. No point to say who is majority. I wish you educate Inshallah. Do you know the origin of Arab? Let me ask you this:

Is our belovely Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) was arab? This is just to make you understand that arab or English, America, Africa or any has nothing in the sight of Allah but Piety.

We do not have to force people to change their names to represent Islam. I would also like to see John, Bush, Jane but muslims. I liked the answer of our new sister in Islam. Pls watch this video:

http://www.muslimvideo.com/tv/watch/17e56e07902b254dfad1/Angela%20American%20girl%20become%20Muslim%20after%20one%20week%20of%20911

Muslim-life

Always Alhamdulilah
Thanx for sharing...

Ok that they are arabic, but the arabs was too the first of the muslims, and when forexample a guys name is Abdullah it don`t mean that he is arab but that he is MUSLIM!!!
because his name dosen`t mean "i am a arab" but that "I am the slave of ALLAH""

wa salam..
inshallah i will change my name from Nermin- to Ayisha(my favourite name)
;)

Ashkaw

Ok that they are arabic, but the arabs was too the first of the muslims, and when forexample a guys name is Abdullah it don`t mean that he is arab but that he is MUSLIM!!!
because his name dosen`t mean "i am a arab" but that "I am the slave of ALLAH""

wa salam..
inshallah i will change my name from Nermin- to Ayisha(my favourite name)

Salaam,

I appreciate that. Nice name. Ummu l muuminina's name. The name of our belovely prophet's wife, Mashallah.

Here I would like to remind this, the president of Hypocrites (Munafiqun)'s name is ABDULLAH BIN UBAY IBN SALULI. Another hypocrite who put muslims in afflictions after Rasul Muhammad (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) passed away, is called Abdullah ibn Sabar and he was a Jew (Yahud). And the father of our belovely Prophet is called Abdullah and he was Mushrik.

MUSLIMS WE NEED TO LEARN OUR RELIGION before discussing this matter. Allah will not ask you what nice name you named, what arabic name you have, what British name you have and so and so. Allah will ask you what deeds you did. How you obeyed Allah and his messanger. We should know that; Some people whose names are Abdullah will be in the HELL FIRE forever too. Arab names are not realy matter. ISLAM ISLAM ISLAM IS THE ONLY TO BE PROUD TO.

I am happy with my name that my parents gave me in my own language. And if you translate it to english means beauty and in arabic means Hassan.

Another thing we muslims need to know, The Messanger of Allah (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) was not sent here to promote Arab but ISLAM.

Well we understand most of those people who accepted Islam and help Rasull (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) were poor and weak (Maula). But Allah guide whoever He wish. We love all Sahaba who were with Rasul (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and Most of them they understood that Arab is nothing but Islam. Because that was the teaching of our Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)

Allah knows the best

Ashkaw

The Last Sermon of the Prophet

The last sermon of the Prophet-peace be upon him- is known as Khutbatul Wada'. It is mentioned in almost all books of Hadith. Following Ahadith in Sahih Al-Bukhari refer to the sermon and quote part of it. See Al-Bukhari, Hadith 1623, 1626, 6361) Sahih of Imam Muslim also refers to this sermon in Hadith number 98. Imam al-Tirmidhi has mentioned this sermon in Hadith nos. 1628, 2046, 2085. Imam Ahmed bin Hanbal has given us the longest and perhaps the most complete version of this sermon in his Masnud, Hadith no. 19774.

This Khutbah of the Prophet-peace be upon him- was long and it contained much guidance and instructions on many issues. The Prophet-peace be upon him- gave this sermon in front of a large gathering of people during Hajj.

Whosoever heard whatever part of the sermon reported it and later some scholars put it together. It is a great khutbah and we should all pay attention to its message and guidance. Following are the basic points mentioned in this khutbah:

O People
Lend me an attentive ear, for I know not whether after this year, I shall ever be amongst you again. Therefor listen to what I am saying to you very carefully and take these words to those who could not be present here today.

O People
Just as you regard this month, this day, this city as sacred, so regard the life and property of every Muslim as a sacred trust. Return the goods entrusted to you to their rightful owners. Hurt no one so that no one may hurt you. Remember that you will indeed meet your Lord, and that He will indeed reckon your deeds. Allah has forbidden you to take usury (interest); therefore all interest obligation shall henceforth be waived. Your capital, however, is yours to keep. You will neither inflict nor suffer any inequity.

Allah has Judged that there shall be no interest and that all interest due to Abbas Ibn ‘Abd al Muttalib (the Prophet's uncle) shall henceforth be waived.

Beware of Satan for the safety of your religion. He has lost all hope that he will ever be able to lead you astray in big things, so beware of following him in small things.

O People
It is true that you have certain rights in regard to your women, but they also have rights over you. Remember that you have taken them as your wives, only under Allah's trust and with His permission. If they abide by your right then to them belongs the right to be fed and clothed in kindness. Do treat your women well and be kind to them, for they are your partners and committed helpers. And it is your right that they do not make friends with anyone of whom you do not approve, as well as never to be unchaste.

O People
Listen to me in earnest, worship Allah, say your five daily prayers (Salah), fast during the month of Ramadan, and give your wealth in Zakat.

Perform Hajj if you can afford to.

All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black, nor a black has any superiority over a white- except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim, which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly. Do not therefor, do injustice to yourselves.

Remember one day you will appear before Allah and answer for your deeds. So beware, do not stray from the path of righteousness after I am gone. People, no prophet or apostle will come after me and no new faith will be born. Reason well therefore, O people, and understand words which I convey to you. I leave behind me two things, the Quran and the Sunnah (Hadith), and if you follow these you will never go astray. All those who listen to me shall pass on my words to others and those to others again; and may the last ones understand my words better than those who listened to me directly. Be my witness, O Allah, that I have conveyed your message to your people."

Ashkaw

Muslims, another thing to know about names is to immitate Rasul () by giving your children as good as Rasul did. If only you do because The messanger of Allah () used to do, that is Sunna and there are rewards with it. For example, you name your children Kassim or Abdullah, or Ibrahim or Rukaiya or Ummul Kurthum or Fatma (Prophet children's names) that will be fine.

2nd if you name your children the names of Sahaba (campanions of Rasul) such as Abubakr, Umar, Uthman, Hamza, Ali, Khalid, Maadh, Salim etc. to show your love to these great people who protect and help Rasul () that will be fine. And any names have good meaning no matter what language they mean.

There is a saheeh hadeeth about the virtue of being a slave of Allaah and giving the names ‘Abd-Allaah and ‘Abd al-Rahmaan. Muslim (2132) narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The most beloved of your names to Allaah are ‘Abd-Allaah and ‘Abd al-Rahmaan.”

It is reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "On the Day of Resurrection, you will be called by your names and by your fathers' names, so give yourselves good names." (Hadith Abu Dawud).

Muslims must choose a name that has a righteous meaning

And Allah knows Best

Musa abu A'isha

Aussie Muslim
As-Salaamu `Alaykum,

There seems to be some confusion here as to what an 'Islamic' name is in the first place.

Names in Islam are anything that is Halaal (free of Shirk) and has a good meaning. Names with bad meanings are not always Haraam but may be disliked, as are names which are exaggerated (such as Atqaa ud-deen etc.)

Not every name which sounds 'Islamic' is at all Islamic, for example, in Iran its common to hear the name 'Abdur-Rasool' (servant of the Messenger), this name is a name which contains Shirk and cannot be called Islamic.

Then there are names which some people might consider as just Arabic names but are in fact names which are well rooted in Islam, such as 'Jameelah' (beautiful), this was a name given to a woman by the Prophet Muhammad (Sallallaahu `Alayhi wa Sallam) himself. So even though it isn't a name which contains praise of Allaah etc. it is indeed a name that is preferable in Islam.

Any name which has a good meaning can be called as liked in Islam, and any name that is the name of a great Islamic hero or Prophet is also liked, we see that the Prophet named his son Ibrahim after the Prophet Ibrahim. Ibrahim itself has no meaning in Arabic, rather it is a word from Hebrew, so we see that names from other languages are also liked if they are named after great Muslims.
So names of the Sahaaba and the Khulafaa' are not just names which are from the Arabic language, but rather are great names for us to take up as they remind us of the Muslims who bore these names.

We see that Abu Bakr (his real name is actually Abdullaah) used to be named Abdul-Ka'bah before Islam, however Allaah's Messenger changed this to a better name - `Abdullaah. `Abdullaah then has the benefit of being a desirable name in its meaning, desirable as it was the name of a great Muslim and also as it was a name given by the Prophet. The fact that the Prophets father who was a disbeliever was also named `Abdullaah does not take away anything from the name. Imagine if an evil man came about and he named himself Muhammad, we would not then stop using such a great name for ourselves.

Any name which is good can be called 'Islamic', and any name which was used by a great Muslim may also be called so.

Ashkaw

Assalam alaykum, Jazakallah khair brother Abu *!*!*!*!*!*!. May Allah rewards you good in this World and hear after. I am so grateful for the great knowledge you gave. However I am still disagree to the conclusion. I think it would not sound to say 'Any name which is good can be called 'Islamic', and any name which was used by a great Muslim may also be called so.'

We need to understand; there are also good names belong to non muslims, and we do not name our children with those but we can not say they are Islamic.

Some names which were used by great Muslims but also by non muslims. Like Umar, we know Umar bin Khatab was among the great Muslims. And there was another Umar bin Hisham (Abu Jahl - Firaun of this Umma). We can not say this is Islamic.

CONCLUSION

Only we need to name our selves and children are the good names. No matter which language we use. For example the name ZUWENA is popular in East Africa for those who speak swahili. And only muslim take this name which means GOOD. I think there is not wrong (because it is not arabic or was not belong to any great muslim) and we can not say this is UnIslamic.

Narrated 'Umar bin Al-Khattab:
I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "The reward of deeds depends upon the intentions and every person will get the reward according to what he has intended. So whoever emigrated for worldly benefits or for a woman to marry, his emigration was for what he emigrated for."

May Allah guide us. May Allah help us and May Allah's mercy upon us AMEEN

Musa abu A'isha

Aussie Muslim
There have been many evil people named Muhammad, doesn't mean that the name is no longer good Akhi.
There have been evil people named Ibraaheem, yet the Prophet himself chose this name for his son.

The notion of 'Islamic' name has no basis in the Shari'ah, its an invented term, all we have in the Shari'ah are Halaal and Haraam names. Of those which are Halaal, only 2 of them are specifically mentioned to be pleasing to Allaah - `Abdullaah and `Abdur-Rahmaan. All other names are either good in meaning and hence recommended, or they belong to great Muslims.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

:salam2:

i learned once that changing one's name isn't obligatory as long as if the name doesn't have a bad meaning or heritage in shirk. for example, my mom's name is minerva named after the roman goddess of wisdom. because of it's pagan origin and the fact that minerva isn't a goddess. my mother, upon embracing islam would have to change her name. her last name if not paganistic or bad meaning wouldn't need to change. another example would be, let's say the name of the prophet muhammad pbuh. having it as a first or last name wouldn't be wrong, but it would be wrong to be named abdul-muhammad. because it implies that we are his servants and likens him to ALLAH SWT. sadly, many brothers and sisters ( mostly revert ) have wrongfully changed their good meaning last names for islamic names, which islam prohibits changing your family last name if it is good meaning. so i recommend before anyone changes their last name they should research the origin of the family name first, if it is a bad name, change it. good name keep it.
:wasalam:

Inquirer

Wassalmu alaikum Ashkaw and all,

One day, I came across a name that had the exact same meaning as my given name…..only my name is western and that name was Arabic. This really made me think. What is it about the name that sounds Arabic but has the exact meaning of my name that makes it so superior? Is it the language? I understand when people name themselves and their children after specific people in our history (ie. Muhammad, Umar, Maryam, Khadijah, Fatimah, Aisha). But as for the other names, I don’t think it makes a difference what language or country the name is associated with as long as the meaning is good.

Indeed. I relate to what you are saying here absolutely, and my thoughts on the matter are exactly the same as yours.

This is something that I thought about a lot. I decided that there is nothing at all wrong with my name, ‘Peter‘. This means, ‘rock’, and was the name of the closest disciple of Jesus, peace be upon him, and he was the leader of the disciples, and was given this name by Jesus, peace be upon him, in recognition of the fact that Peter was the most enduring and steadfast of the followers of his message, which originally, was the same as the message of all the prophets proceeding him, before his message was abused and perverted, necessitating the arrival of Muhammad, peace be upon him.

Futhermore, there is a manuscript that was found in the Nag Hammadi library, hidden from the Christians, called ‘The Apocalypse of Peter’, the text in which it is revealed to humanity that which Muslims already knew, that Jesus was not in fact crucified, and endured no tortures. Peter is therefore an honourable name for a Muslim, especially in light of this document which in recent history confirmed our Truth.

I searched ‘Muslimnames.com’, and found that the equivalent ‘Islamic’ name to Peter, because it has the same meaning, is ‘Safwan‘, and so I considered using this name for myself for use within the Muslim community, until I realised that there is absolutely no point in this at all.

It was my father’s grandmother that told my parents when my mother was pregnant, that if the child was to be male, that he was to be called Peter, and she died just before I was born. To alter my name therefore would be tremendous disrespect, and there really isn’t any point in it at all.

This is of course talking about first names as Muslims do not change their surnames( last names, family names). As Allah tells us clearly in the Qur’an to be known by the names of our fathers: “Call them by (the names of) their father’s, that is more just in the sight of Allah…”

Precisely, when you look into names, this information isn’t difficult to come across, and this fact is made clear - which causes me to wonder why people such as Muhammad Ali, Yusuf Islam and many others, chose to ignore this. I can’t help but think that some people seek to change their names as a deliberate rebuttal to their parents, family and/or culture. However, it is also made clear by Muhammad, peace be upon him, that we are to be good to (and so therefore to respect) our parents, even if they have harmed or wronged us.

The Messanger of Allah (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) never claimed such a thing (muslim names). Our religion is not belong for particular people. This is for the all humanity. No point to say who is majority.

Ashkaw, you speak words of wisdom in your posts here and I cannot think of anything to say that you haven’t already covered.

cmelbouzaidi

I agree, it does get confusing on names. For example, the prophet Mohammed's (pbuh) father's name was Abdullah and yet he died before our Prophet was born and I believe he was a pagan, yet his name was Abdullah. What I did, with good intentions, when I took my Shahada 17 years ago, was I added a simple Muslim name onto my names given by my parents for my certificate of Shahada. Therefore I became Catherine Mary Iman. Catherine means "pure and clean" and I liked that and Iman was simple to pronounce and means "faith". I didn't ask my parents or family to address me as "Iman" and my Muslim in-laws mostly call me Iman but my Muslim friends know me as Catherine or Umm Mounir. My two children have Arabic Muslim names.

However, someone told me to go to Hajj, you need an Arabic Muslim first name on your passport but I doubt it, does anyone know for sure?

Jazak Allahu Khair

SeSaMe

Calm Member ((^_^))
Salamo Alaykom ^^

Machae Allah Brothers and sisters

we need alot of such Topics, To learn about our religion more and more
Allah protect n Bless u :tti_sister:

To be a Muslim does not mean that you should be an Arabic Person,to be a Muslim does not mean that you should mastered Arabic as it is, to be a Muslim does not mean that your name should be an Arabic name,only the name should be good,and has a good meaning,As the Will of our Prophet Mohammed peace be upon him (in my point of view)

Inquirer

Salaam Sou Sou, well said.

I argue that my name is a Muslim name, because I am a Muslim and my name is not haraam in it's meaning, so who is to say that my name is not a Muslim name?

Having said that, what Cmelbouzaidi said about adding a name to your original name is interesting, because part of the reason that I looked into names in the first place, is that I wanted to somehow find ways of signifying this turning point in my life.