News about mecca.

suumaya

Mecca is becoming like Las Vegas.

MECCA, Saudi Arabia - Five times a day across the globe devout Muslims face this city in prayer, focused on a site where they believe Abraham built a temple to God. The spot is also the place Muslims are expected to visit at least once in their lives.

Now as they make the pilgrimage clothed in simple white cotton wraps, they will see something other than the stark black cube known as the Kaaba, which is literally the center of the Muslim world. They will also see Starbucks. And Cartier and Tiffany. And H&M and Topshop.

The Abraj al Bait Mall - one of the largest in Saudi Arabia, outfitted with flat-panel monitors with advertisements and announcements, neon lights, an amusement park ride, fast-food restaurants and a lingerie shop - has been built directly across from Islam's holiest site.

Not everyone considers this progress.

"Mecca is becoming like Las Vegas, and that is a disaster," said Ali al-Ahmed, director of the Institute for Gulf Affairs in Washington, a Saudi opposition research organization. "It will have a disastrous effect on Muslims because going to Mecca will have no feeling. There is no charm anymore. All you see is glass and cement."

The mall, which opened a week before the annual pilgrimage, called the hajj, in December, is the first phase in a $13 billion construction boom in Mecca that promises to change how this city, forbidden to everyone but Muslims, looks and feels.

The Abraj al Bait housing and hotel complex, a 1.5-million-square-yard development that will include a towering hotel, has begun to redraw the skyline of this ancient religious city.

When the project is completed in 2009, it will include the seventh tallest building in the world, its developers say, with a hospital, hotels and prayer halls. A public-announcement system pipes in prayers from the Grand Mosque across the way, and worshipers can join the masses simply by opening their draperies.

In nearby Jabal Omar, an entire mountain is being flattened to make way for a huge hotel and high-rise complex. And elsewhere, cranes dot the skyline with up to 130 new high-rise towers planned for the area.

"This is the end of Mecca," said Dr. Irfan Ahmed in London. He has formed the Islamic Heritage Foundation to try to preserve the Islamic history of Mecca, Medina, the second holiest city, and other important religious sites in Saudi Arabia. "Before, even in the days of the Ottomans, none of the buildings in Mecca towered higher than the Grand Mosque. Now these are much higher and more disrespectful."

"Abraj Al-Bait" complex, located directly in front of the Holy Mosque
Money is certainly one of the motivators in the building boom. Every year, up to four million people descend on this city during the pilgrimage, while a stream continues to flow through here during the year, spending an average $2,000 to $3,000 to stay, eat and shop.

Billboards along the way to Mecca remind investors of the potential earnings from owning an apartment here; some claim a 25 percent return on investment. Advertisements on Arab satellite television channels remind viewers that "you, too, can have the opportunity to enjoy this blessed view."

Muhammad al-Abboud, a real estate agent, recounts tales of Pakistani businessmen plunking down $15 million to buy several apartments at a time. Saudi princes own entire floors.

A three-bedroom apartment here runs about $3 million, Mr. Abboud said. One directly overlooking the Grand Mosque can reach $5 million.

Critics of the development complain that the result is gated communities where worshipers can separate themselves from the crowds, thereby violating the spirit of the hajj, where all stand equal before God.

"All of Mecca is a sanctuary," Mr. Abboud said. "So how could something like this not be snapped up?" But some groups say the building boom also has religious motives. They accuse the archconservative Salafi, who hold great sway in Saudi Arabia, of seeking to eliminate historic spots, fearing that these sites would become objects of worship themselves.

Dr. Ahmed of London has cataloged the destruction of more than 300 separate antiquity sites, including cemeteries and mosques. He says the house where the Prophet Muhammad lived was razed and today a dilapidated library, with its windows and doors shuttered, stands in its place.

"It is not respecting the Kaaba, not respecting the house of God or the environment of the sanctuary," Sami Angawi, a Saudi architect who wants to preserve Mecca's heritage, said of the development. "You are not supposed to even cut a tree in this city, so how could you blow up a mountain? The Islamic laws have been broken."

Progress has exacted a heavy price in Mecca. More pilgrims than ever can come here, thanks to billions spent on tunnels and infrastructure to accommodate them. But in exchange, the city's once famed night market, where pilgrims brought their wares to sell, is gone. The Meccan homes and buildings that filled the area near the mosque were demolished in the 1970s to enlarge the mosque. The neighborhoods and families who lived near the mosque and welcomed pilgrims have long since moved away.

Mecca has long been a commercial as well as a religious center, but increasingly global brands dominate here.

Mr. Angawi, the Saudi architect, has led a lonely campaign within the kingdom to bring attention to the destruction of the historic sites. Dr. Ahmed has worked to lobby Asian and Arab governments to press the Saudis to stop such demolitions. And Mr. Ahmed, in Washington, has built a database of the historic spots now destroyed. Many Muslims inside and outside Saudi Arabia have remained silent about the issues, they say, fearing the loss of financing from Saudi Arabia for religious institutions and projects.

Saudi officials say they have been painstakingly preserving the Islamic artifacts they find, and operate two small museums in Mecca. In all, they say, more than $19 billion has been spent on preserving the country's Muslim heritage. They dismiss their critics as cranks who have no following.

Developers and real estate agents, meanwhile, say the construction makes room for even more Muslims to take part in the hajj, and therefore serves the greater good.

That suggests that the changes are far from over.

"Mecca has never been changed like it has now," Mr. Angawi said. "What you see now is only 10 percent of what's to come. What is coming is much, much worse."

Hassan M. Fattah writing for The New York Times

Print this article | Email to a friend

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
AssalaamuAlaikum,

Looks like Saudi Government is hijacked by the rich luxury loving Sheikhs who change their Mercedes model so frequently. There must be good people in the government but I think they are forced by those who just follow the greed and lust. Every work of the Saudi government does not become holy just because they are ruling at the most sacred places of the world.

Wassalaam,
VE

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salam,

In terms of the capitalization of Mecca.; this will not make Mecca unholy. That which is with Allah will remain holy. If anything this should make us stronger to resist temptation. Our hearts are in the fingers of Allah, He knows. The pilgrim is being tested. Faith is not physical and for those that need the diamond and glitter..please take it..buy it...spend it...but know that you have to leave that here. Shaitan is in our blood..prayer and devotion make us spritually clean. Prayer cleans our souls...and our souls are not physical. As we strive for Janna we are given a choice each moment..some choices are poor and some are blessed. If we can keep our eyes lowered and be grateful we strengthen the imam of all Muslims and rise. Thank you.

Ahmed_2000

Servant of Allah
Assalaam Allaikum

Saudia Arabia is doing strange things now. these guys have gone blind because of greed. thats a sad news but why are saudia People so quiet anything that goes against islam is Fitnah.

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

I personally have nothing against the development of Makkah Al-Mukarramah. Starbucks, Cartier and Tiffany etc are only establishments that might give comfort to pilgrims and the people of Makkah, it does not affect our religion. So long as it does not affect the Masjid, the Ka'ba, the Hajj and Umrah, I think it's fine.

But some groups say the building boom also has religious motives. They accuse the archconservative Salafi, who hold great sway in Saudi Arabia, of seeking to eliminate historic spots, fearing that these sites would become objects of worship themselves.

I totally agree with the statement above. Aside from the Masjid Al-Haraam and the places connected with Hajj, the places in Makkah are just like any other place. Truly, they have been part of the history of Islam but it does not have anything to do with our Ibadah.

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Assalamu alaikum,

I personally have nothing against the development of Makkah Al-Mukarramah. Starbucks, Cartier and Tiffany etc are only establishments that might give comfort to pilgrims and the people of Makkah, it does not affect our religion. So long as it does not affect the Masjid, the Ka'ba, the Hajj and Umrah, I think it's fine.

Now our 1.5 billion Muslims are so handicapped that they need Jewish companies to make coffee, tea and burger. Nice. Arab Sheikhs have wells of oil and they will only come to sell coffee when their oil will run off. May then they will have to adopt begging profession in worse case.

Wassalaam,
VE

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Wa alaikumussalaam,

Because the Saudi people prefer their government compared to other countries that is by far worse. There is no perfect country. No perfect governance nowadays because there is no perfect human being today. So let's just pray to Allaah swt for Saudi's betterment.

I don't understand why there are people who curse the Saudi government yet no one is reacting to Dubai, Jordan and Bahrain's government that allows clubs, alcohol etc. :astag:

Assalaam Allaikum

Saudia Arabia is doing strange things now. these guys have gone blind because of greed. thats a sad news but why are saudia People so quiet anything that goes against islam is Fitnah.

Ahmed_2000

Servant of Allah
Assalaam Allaikum

sister hurul-ein's

i am only saying because they hold the holy cities mecca and medina. i do talk against UAE , malaysia , Pakistan , or any other muslim country for that matter. i was only pointing out because of the hajj. and ya its sad but true that muslim countries have taken some part of Islam and left a lot of part of islam. and well this Shows that we aere heading towards the judgement day . Bad times will get worse now.

May ALLAH protect the faithfull muslims. Ameen

walaikum Assalaam

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Wa alaikumussalaam,

I don't understand why there are people who curse the Saudi government yet no one is reacting to Dubai, Jordan and Bahrain's government that allows clubs, alcohol etc. :astag:

Criticizing the some Muslims means they are worth of attention. The ruler of dubai and other unglys are not worth talking about. Husni Mubarak is one of worse you know and I feel my tongue feels pain by mentioning 'Busharraf'.

From Saudi Govt. I expect some good change which they are not making at the moment.

Wassalaam,
VE

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

There's nothing wrong with doing business with Jews. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his companions used to do business with the Jews and others, and when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) died, his shield was deposited as security with a Jew for thirty saa’s of barley.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2759.

Now our 1.5 billion Muslims are so handicapped that they need Jewish companies to make coffee, tea and burger. Nice. Arab Sheikhs have wells of oil and they will only come to sell coffee when their oil will run off. May then they will have to adopt begging profession in worse case.

Wassalaam,
VE

Ahmed_2000

Servant of Allah
Assalaam Allaikum

sister i have no problem with having busines with jew i have problem with the kind of development they are aiming for. do you know that islam education in schools is saudia arabia is deacrising year by year . one of my friend studied in saudia since childhood and he was not happy with the country and he is a practising muslim . so saudia has to be carefull with what they do because they are holding holy ciities in thier country.

Walaikum Assalaam

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

I'm sorry I was addressing the subject about doing business with Jews to brother virtualeye. I've studied in Saudi Arabia as well from 1st to 6th grade. Maybe it was the institution your friend was in that Islam education was decreasing. Because as far as I know, Islamic Universities in Saudi are still active and is even more accepting foreign Alims. My neighbours are applicants to different Islamic Universities in Saudi and Alhamdulillaah most of them have already flown to Saudi.

Assalaam Allaikum

sister i have no problem with having busines with jew i have problem with the kind of development they are aiming for. do you know that islam education in schools is saudia arabia is deacrising year by year . one of my friend studied in saudia since childhood and he was not happy with the country and he is a practising muslim . so saudia has to be carefull with what they do because they are holding holy ciities in thier country.

Walaikum Assalaam

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Salam alaikum.

I don't mind the constructions, it could be necessary to build new apartments, etc, for a growing population.

The Starbucks, and the other businesses, however, are annoying me. Why do the Saudi rulers allow companies, that will directly pay Israel money for weapons, to expand their business on Muslim soil? Idiots.

Ahmed_2000

Servant of Allah
Walaikum Assalaam

Sister hurul-ein

nope. not the universities i am talking about. what i am talking about is high school ecucation they are not realyy making the basics of islam (Foundation Studies) so that muslims will know the right thing. and they just pass students so they can progress for eg: they will make paper so easy so Locals who dont like studing can pass thier Islam studies exam. and my friend was in Islamic School (Highschool). i apprciate medina university. Islamic Universities are still good to go for. but if a student dont learn good and impotant things in highschool then what are they trying to teach. well they are concentrating on science and business education. well there i am just being cautios. Because i am afraid if something goes wrong in Saudia Arabia regarding Islam and Mecca thats the only concern i have.

Assalaam Allaikum

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

Those are just rumors. It's never proven that Jewish owned establishments like Starbucks or Pepsi supports the destruction of Islam. I think if you're saying we shouldn't buy coffee from Starbucks then all those Muslims working or rendering service in non-Muslim owned companies or offices should all work for Muslim employers. Which is I think is much more of an issue.

Salam alaikum.

I don't mind the constructions, it could be necessary to build new apartments, etc, for a growing population.

The Starbucks, and the other businesses, however, are annoying me. Why do the Saudi rulers allow companies, that will directly pay Israel money for weapons, to expand their business on Muslim soil? Idiots.

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Assalamu alaikum,

I'm sorry I was addressing the subject about doing business with Jews to brother virtualeye. I've studied in Saudi Arabia as well from 1st to 6th grade. Maybe it was the institution your friend was in that Islam education was decreasing. Because as far as I know, Islamic Universities in Saudi are still active and is even more accepting foreign Alims. My neighbours are applicants to different Islamic Universities in Saudi and Alhamdulillaah most of them have already flown to Saudi.

Comparing these wackos with those companions of Prophet (SAW) and that time? Those people know to what extent they should do business according to their weak conditions. Muslims did not have cloths to wear and loaf of bread to eat at that time. BUSINESS IS BUSINESS. And the problem is with political Islam and not universities of Meccah and Madinah. Its about applying Justice to all , rich sheikhs and poor Muslims both. The ruler of mecca and Madinah should had been the most aggressive ruler among Muslims, he should not have fear because Allah SWT is there to save his house there. It is only the conspiracies and greed of those rich sheikhs which is creating misery. And and that weak situation is very juicy for the enemies of Islam, i.e. Zionists.

If in age of Prophet (SAW), jews would be supporting the enemies of Islam then those jews must have been considered enemies. But now situation is that, Saudia Arabia was considered the best Ally of the biggest terrorist state of the world. Now that closest ally award has been taken by the worse, i.e. Busharraf.

What kind of Islam it is which is telling us to have friendship with the worst enemies and killers of Muslim Ummah?

What kind of 'enlightened moderation ' it is, which tells the ruler of the Islamic country to bomb his own land with collaboration of the worst hypocrites of all time?

It is ofcourse the fault the Muslims inside, but can those people be called Muslims who are this worse? They are also among the worst enemies of Islam and that is why I do not only blame Zionits but those traitors in Islamic lands.

Business should be defined by what kind of establishment it will bring. If it brings the fetish culture, supports the biggest terrorist states and colors the people in the color of infidels then that is not called business but LUST, Luxury and Greed.

Wassalaam,
VE

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

Then it's the institution that has a problem. The government needs to monitor them. Alhamdulillaah that we are all concerned here for Islam and Makkah but developing and putting up western-owned establishments in the holy city wouldn't destroy our religion anyway. Besides, before having those kind of establishments opened up in Saudi Arabia, there are group of Scholars who are consulted.

When McDonalds was first opened in Saudi, I was like "what?" but ofcourse I realized they had eliminated everything which is Haraam with McDonalds like pork. So, same thing with the establishments to be opened up in Makkah.

Walaikum Assalaam

Sister hurul-ein

nope. not the universities i am talking about. what i am talking about is high school ecucation they are not realyy making the basics of islam (Foundation Studies) so that muslims will know the right thing. and they just pass students so they can progress for eg: they will make paper so easy so Locals who dont like studing can pass thier Islam studies exam. and my friend was in Islamic School (Highschool). i apprciate medina university. Islamic Universities are still good to go for. but if a student dont learn good and impotant things in highschool then what are they trying to teach. well they are concentrating on science and business education. well there i am just being cautios. Because i am afraid if something goes wrong in Saudia Arabia regarding Islam and Mecca thats the only concern i have.

Assalaam Allaikum

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA
:salam2:

The assumption that buying from Jewish businesses aids Israel is a dangerous, and rather silly, assumption to make. 2/3 of the world's Jews do not live in Israel, and even those who do are not necessarily arming their own country simply because they have sucessful businesses!!

Howard Schultz is not Israeli. He is merely Jewish, and there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that he and his fellow businessmen are pumping even a single cent into the State of Israel. Please make the distinction, brothers and sisters, as these alarmist "facts" are akin to assuming that every Saudi businessman is handing bundles of cash to Osama bin Laden himself!

If the combined wealth of all Jewish-owned businesses was combined and pumped into Israel, then Israel would be an incredibly wealthy nation indeed, far surpassing it's usual placement in the mid-20s for wealth rankings.

Be wary of any kind of propaganda, no matter who it seems to support or demean, since the truth is often quite different.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
:salam2:

they should build libraries with many islamic books there or have conference rooms where islamic lectures can be held....

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

True, they have good relations but that did not allow America to make Saudi as their puppet. Otherwise, Saudi Arabia should by now has become an open-country like Bahrain or worse. Haven't you thought that befriending America could just be one of Saudis strategies? They are not stupid not to be able to foresee the consequences of becoming an ally. Although, I'm not saying Saudi Arabian government is perfect. Ofcourse it has flaws but come to think of it, they're the only ones who closest adheres to the Shari'ah amongst Muslim countries and we should be happy about that and just pray that they may work on their shortcomings.

Comparing these wackos with those companions of Prophet (SAW) and that time? Those people know to what extent they should do business according to their weak conditions. Muslims did not have cloths to wear and loaf of bread to eat at that time. BUSINESS IS BUSINESS. And the problem is with political Islam and not universities of Meccah and Madinah. Its about applying Justice to all , rich sheikhs and poor Muslims both. The ruler of mecca and Madinah should had been the most aggressive ruler among Muslims, he should not have fear because Allah SWT is there to save his house there. It is only the conspiracies and greed of those rich sheikhs which is creating misery. And and that weak situation is very juicy for the enemies of Islam, i.e. Zionists.

If in age of Prophet (SAW), jews would be supporting the enemies of Islam then those jews must have been considered enemies. But now situation is that, Saudia Arabia was considered the best Ally of the biggest terrorist state of the world. Now that closest ally award has been taken by the worse, i.e. Busharraf.

What kind of Islam it is which is telling us to have friendship with the worst enemies and killers of Muslim Ummah?

What kind of 'enlightened moderation ' it is, which tells the ruler of the Islamic country to bomb his own land with collaboration of the worst hypocrites of all time?

It is ofcourse the fault the Muslims inside, but can those people be called Muslims who are this worse? They are also among the worst enemies of Islam and that is why I do not only blame Zionits but those traitors in Islamic lands.

Business should be defined by what kind of establishment it will bring. If it brings the fetish culture, supports the biggest terrorist states and colors the people in the color of infidels then that is not called business but LUST, Luxury and Greed.

Wassalaam,
VE