Not completing the Quran in Ramadan?

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
:salam2:
Tariq bhai i hope u dont mind me tossing another Question at u, if you are able to answer

if you read the Quran in arabic n translation which takes up time and is not allowing to finish the quran, is it better to just read the arabic and finish reading the quran ?

I do feel that reading the translation really helps one contemplate on message Allah (swt) is conveying to us

JazakAllah khair akhi

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

I couldn't find anything in english- thus can't copy and paste lol.

However, I found some stuff on IslamQA Arabic, which happened to be not translated :|

Whatever the case, the question was regarding what is more better (in terms of reward etc)- reciting less of the Qur'aan, but with Tarteel (slowly, clearly and beautifully) and contemplation or is it better to recite a lot of a Qur'aan quickly.

Ibn Qayyim, rahimahullaah mentioned a few points (summarized briefly):

People differed as to which is better and there are two opinions on this:

1) That it is better to recite the Qur'aan with Tarteel and Tadabbur (contemplation) compared to reciting a lot of it quickly- this was the opinion of Ibn `Abbaas and Ibn Mas`ood radiyAllaahu `anhumaa

2) It is better to recite a lot of the Qur'aan compared to less of it- this was the opinion of the companions of Imaam al-Shaafi`ee

As for the first opinion then what is intended by it is that one recites the Qur'aan with understanding, contemplation, acting by it, reciting it beautifully and memorizing it through which it can be understood. This like what some of the Salaf mentioned: "The Qur’aan was revealed so that it is acted upon, so act upon its recitation."

They also mentioned that having Eemaan is better than doing actions. Based on this, recitation of the Qur'aan with understanding and contemplation is that which bears fruits to Eemaan. On the other hand, anyone can recite the Qur'aan without Eemaan- a major sinner, a believer, a munaafiq etc. As the Messenger of :saw2: said: "... and the similitude of the hypocrite who recites the Qur'aan is like that of a basil- it's fragrance is good, and its taste is bitter" [Bukhaari and Muslim]

Ibn Qayyim then mentioned that the people are of 4 types: 1) The people of the Qur'aan and Eemaan and these are the best of people. 2) The one who does not recite the Qur'aan nor has Eemaan 3) The one who recites the Qur'aan but has no Eemaan 4) The one who has Eemaan but does not the recite the Qur'aan.

Based on this they said that just like how the one who bears Eemaan and does not bear the Qur'aan is better than the one who bears the Qur'aan but lacking in Eemaan- just like this- the one who contemplates over it and understands it's recitation is better than the one who recites a lot of the Qur'aan quickly.

Ibn Qayyim then brought a few statements of the Salaf regarding the importance of pondering over the Qur'aan, understanding it etc (even sister Seeking Allaah's Mercy posted some relevant ones)- one of the best one's I read was: Ibn Mas`ood said: “If you heard Allaah saying “Oh you who believe!”, then listen to it, for it is an act of goodness which you are being commanded to do or an evil deed from which you are being turned away.”

As for the second opinion, he said that some of the scholars held this view because of the hadeeth narrated by Imaam al-Tirmidhi on the authority of Ibn Mas`ood radiyAllaahu `anhumaa that the Messenger of Allaah :saw2: said: "Whoever recites one letter from the Book of Allah, then for him is one good deed and each good deed is worth ten like it. I do not say that 'Alif-laam-meem' is one letter, but that alif is a letter, laam is a letter, meem is a letter."

He then mentioned that `Uthmaan radiyAllaahu `anhu used to recite the Qur'aan in one rak`aah and that reports are narrated on many of the salaf that they recited a lot of the Qur'aan

In conclusion, he mentioned that the one who recites it with Tarteel, Tadabbur etc. is better.

WAllaahu a`lam
Wassalaamu `alaykum

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)

I couldn't find anything in english- thus can't copy and paste lol.

However, I found some stuff on IslamQA Arabic, which happened to be not translated :|

Whatever the case, the question was regarding what is more better (in terms of reward etc)- reciting less of the Qur'aan, but with Tarteel (slowly, clearly and beautifully) and contemplation or is it better to recite a lot of a Qur'aan quickly.

Ibn Qayyim, rahimahullaah mentioned a few points (summarized briefly):

People differed as to which is better and there are two opinions on this:

1) That it is better to recite the Qur'aan with Tarteel and Tadabbur (contemplation) compared to reciting a lot of it quickly- this was the opinion of Ibn `Abbaas and Ibn Mas`ood radiyAllaahu `anhumaa

2) It is better to recite a lot of the Qur'aan compared to less of it- this was the opinion of the companions of Imaam al-Shaafi`ee

As for the first opinion then what is intended by it is that one recites the Qur'aan with understanding, contemplation, acting by it, reciting it beautifully and memorizing it through which it can be understood. This like what some of the Salaf mentioned: "The Qur’aan was revealed so that it is acted upon, so act upon its recitation."

They also mentioned that having Eemaan is better than doing actions. Based on this, recitation of the Qur'aan with understanding and contemplation is that which bears fruits to Eemaan. On the other hand, anyone can recite the Qur'aan without Eemaan- a major sinner, a believer, a munaafiq etc. As the Messenger of :saw2: said: "... and the similitude of the hypocrite who recites the Qur'aan is like that of a basil- it's fragrance is good, and its taste is bitter" [Bukhaari and Muslim]

Ibn Qayyim then mentioned that the people are of 4 types: 1) The people of the Qur'aan and Eemaan and these are the best of people. 2) The one who does not recite the Qur'aan nor has Eemaan 3) The one who recites the Qur'aan but has no Eemaan 4) The one who has Eemaan but does not the recite the Qur'aan.

Based on this they said that just like how the one who bears Eemaan and does not bear the Qur'aan is better than the one who bears the Qur'aan but lacking in Eemaan- just like this- the one who contemplates over it and understands it's recitation is better than the one who recites a lot of the Qur'aan quickly.

Ibn Qayyim then brought a few statements of the Salaf regarding the importance of pondering over the Qur'aan, understanding it etc (even sister Seeking Allaah's Mercy posted some relevant ones)- one of the best one's I read was: Ibn Mas`ood said: “If you heard Allaah saying “Oh you who believe!”, then listen to it, for it is an act of goodness which you are being commanded to do or an evil deed from which you are being turned away.”

As for the second opinion, he said that some of the scholars held this view because of the hadeeth narrated by Imaam al-Tirmidhi on the authority of Ibn Mas`ood radiyAllaahu `anhumaa that the Messenger of Allaah :saw2: said: "Whoever recites one letter from the Book of Allah, then for him is one good deed and each good deed is worth ten like it. I do not say that 'Alif-laam-meem' is one letter, but that alif is a letter, laam is a letter, meem is a letter."

He then mentioned that `Uthmaan radiyAllaahu `anhu used to recite the Qur'aan in one rak`aah and that reports are narrated on many of the salaf that they recited a lot of the Qur'aan

In conclusion, he mentioned that the one who recites it with Tarteel, Tadabbur etc. is better.

WAllaahu a`lam
Wassalaamu `alaykum

JazakAllah khair akhi, i read both the scholar concensus
this is a beautiful verse which i came across , i cant give my opinion cuz the scholars know best, may Allah (swt) reward them all - ameen

كِتَابٌ أَنزَلْنَاهُ إِلَيْكَ مُبَارَكٌ لِّيَدَّبَّرُوا آيَاتِهِ وَلِيَتَذَكَّرَ أُولُو الْأَلْبَابِ

Sahih International
[This is] a blessed Book which We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], that they might reflect upon its verses and that those of understanding would be reminded.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

WAllaahu a`lam
Wassalaamu `alaykum

Asalamaoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu. . .

That bold part caught my attention. Didn't the Prophet :saw: commanded one of the companions to spent atleast three days in finishing the entire Quraan?

I remember reading a hadith (I think). I'll see if I can find it Inshaa'Allaah.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Got it!

Narrated 'Abdullah ibn 'Amr ibn al-'As:

Yazid ibn 'Abdullah said that 'Abdullah ibn 'Amr asked the Prophet (s.a.w.): In how many days should I complete the recitation of the whole Qur'an, O Apostle of Allah?

He replied: In one month.

He said: I am more energetic to complete it in a period less than this. He kept on repeating these words and lessening the period until he said: Complete its recitation in seven days.

He again said: I am more energetic to complete it in a period less than this.

The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: He who finishes the recitation of the Qur'an in less than three days does not understand it.

(Abu Dawud, Classified as Saheeh by Al-Albani)

But then I got this too:

The Salaf and the Quran in Ramadan

It is reported that Al-Aswad [b. Yazîd Al-Nakha’î] used to complete the recitation of the Quran in Ramadan every two nights; sleeping between al-maghrib and al-‘ishâ. Outside of Ramadân, he used to complete a recitation every six nights.

bû Nu’aym, Hilyatu Al-Awliyâ` 1:250.
It is related from Al-Rabî’ b. Sulaymân, “Muhammad b. Idrîs Al-Shâfi’î used to complete reciting the Quran in the month of Ramadan sixty times, all in the prayer.”
Ibid. 4:107

[That makes it twice a day! Sobhan'Allaah!]

It is reported that Abul-Ash-hab said, “Abû Al-Rajâ` [Al-Atârudî] would complete with us a recitation of the Quran in the night prayers of Ramadan every ten days.”
Ibid. 1:348

It is reported that Qatâdah used to complete a recitation of the Quran once every seven nights, and when Ramadan came, once every three nights. During the last ten nights, he would complete a recitation every night.
Ibid. 1:364

It is reported that Al-Bukhârî used to complete a recitation [of the Quran] once a day in Ramadan, and would pray after Tarâwîh every night, completing another recitation every three nights.
Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` 12:439

Source:http://www.sayingsofthesalaf.net/ind...an-in-ramadan/

EDITED:

And [Alhumdulillah] I think I found my answer:

Ibn Rajab (r): "The forbiddance of completing recitation of the Quran in less than 3 days applies to this being made a regular practice, but as for favoured times such as Ramadan, esp. the nights in which Laylat al-Qadr is sought, or favoured places such as Makkah for the visitor, it is recommended to increase reciting the Quran to avail the time and place. This is the view of Ahmad, Ishaq & other Imams, and the practice of others indicates this too."

Wasalamoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu . . .

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
Asalamaoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu. . .

That bold part caught my attention. Didn't the Prophet :saw: commanded one of the companions to spent atleast three days in finishing the entire Quraan?

I remember reading a hadith (I think). I'll see if I can find it Inshaa'Allaah.

could you please post the hadith InshAllah it would be good to know

i know that some of the salaf (may Allah (swt) bless them ) would recite the whole quran in 3 whole while some of them would recite the whole quran in 1 day, everyone did their best according to their capability, but their love and devotion was sincerely to the Quran

sheikh AHmed Ali goes over this in his lecture "Islamic spirit of the past"

if you get a chance listen to it , very informative and increases the imaan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApWeZVC8L54

he talks about Quranic habit in part 2, 3 [could be on part too but i only listened to this 2 right now]

:wasalam:

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
could you please post the hadith InshAllah it would be good to know
:wasalam:

Wasalamoalaikom wa ramatullahi wa barakaatuhu. . .

Sorry I'm late. The hadeeth is mention in the first quote of post number 25.

Jazaakallah khair for the lecture.

Wa alaykumasalam wa ramatullahi wa barakaatuhu. . .

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
As-salaamu'Alaykum,

May Allah (Subhaanahu wa ta'aala) reward you all for your beneficial replies. Ameen