Ottoman empire - islamic or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
nah bro .. the best rule and glory was the Ummayads.... from spain/southend franc to india.. ohhh beat that... at this peak, Khalif Al Waleed was the supreme leader of half the world. If he didnt stop the armies in the west, they would have took france, crossed the english channel and occupied Britain. Furthermore, when the ummayads did collapse, the entire splendour of the empire was brought back to life in Al Andalus... a feat unsurpassed by any previous islamic power.

UMMMMMMMMMAYADS

:salam2:

the Best rule and glory was that of the Prophet Muhammad :saw: and that of the Khulafa ar-Rashidoon after him, Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman and Ali, Radhiyallahu anhum.

I did not say that the Ottoman were better than Umayyads, nor should there be comarisons etc, such as thing is pointless.

Khalid ibn Walid (radhiyallahu anhu) was a Sahabi, of course he was of the best people and reknowned as the best Military leader too.

This topic is about the Ottomans, if you have read history, then you will know their navy was in control of the mediteranean and for 100s of years was the strongest. It was decisive in restricting and weakening the movements of the crusaders. They too controlled lands from Morocco through to india, Arabia and that of Europe.

Allah bless those who put their lives for Islam, whoever they were. Amin. Lets not get into who is better etc, Muslims were at times Strong and at times weak..

The main point is for us to understand why we were weak, this is solely due to the Muslims being away from Islam.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
salaam

there are things that th Ottomans did which are not islamic

1 - Harems.....marrying more then 4 wives or atleast keeping more then 4 women.

2 - Brother killing brother - when te sultan would die one of the brothers would give the order ot kill his other brothers so he could be the next sultan.

3 - wars for expansion - I mean conquering foriegn lands and using the excuse thats its for religion.

4 - enuchs or castrated slaves were used to prtect the harems

Lets just say that the ottoman empire wasnt the best example of an Islamic state - My opnion would be that it wasnt very islamic.

What you mentioned here are Islamically wrong, but, these things need be seen in context of 100s of years of Ottoman rule. In the golden period, they were good Muslims, and their demise correlated with the slipping away of the Islam from their grasps.

So, we need see things in context.

Mairo

Maryama
ASsalamu alaykum,

Allah help all the Muslims and make us return to the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of his Messenger :saw: AMIN

Whether we speak about the past or today, the issue of our success is the same. It is of little use complaining, rather constructing our lives and those of our families around Islam properly. When we can love and implement Islam and call people to worshipping Allah alone, and doing their Islamic actions only as was revealed in the Quran and Sunnah, then we will have success!!

This is what our website here, is made for, it is just a small step, but inshaAllah a meaningful one, so that Muslims can unite upon truth and regain the honour that Allah had once bestowed upon us, so that we can live our lives as Muslims and have justice.

Ya Allah give us that success, Amin.

Wa aleikum salaam

Amin to your dua, brother!

At this critical juncture, it is imperitive that people seek to put the focus back on themselves and commit to rectifing their relationships with Allah and those people around them properly, clinging to Quran and Sunnah. I pray people will heed this warning.

I am grateful you have established this website dedicated to upholding and defending Islam. I am sure you have undergone some significant trials in order to do so, but may Allah reward you immensely for it. You truly have the gift of diplomacy, may Allah enable you to increase even greater in your wisdom and effectiveness over time.

One of the greatest joys I have in my life is having the opportunity to witness people from all walks of life, from all corners of the globe, turn to Islam and post their testimonies of faith on this website. And also of great benefit is having a forum to share all of the knowledge that stems from Islam, constantly learning more everyday.

:wasalam:

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Dear Original Poster.

In the 15th and 16th century onwards, there were actually 3 Islamic empires. The Ottomon emprie, the Mughul Empire which controlled the Indian region, and the Safavid Emprire in Perisan lands.

The Ottomon empire was the largest and strongest at that time however and had started in the late 13th century with its founder Osman the first. He has been described as being dressed simply and usually wore a turban. He was also known to be very sharp and intelligent. The Ottomon empire was and still is considered an Islamic empire.

In the 19th century and 20th however, they were infiltrated a great deal and the empire broke down to what it is today.

Amir_of_spain

asalam wailkium.

My post was actually for brother XSharingonX as he said.....
If I had a choice I would personally live under Abbasid rule

I did not say that the Ottoman were better than Umayyads, nor should there be comarisons etc, such as thing is pointless. (Mabsoot)

Its fine to chat about our great Islamic history, comparisons are nothing but good fun and are interesting. Don't take things too seriously bro.

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
asalam wailkium.

My post was actually for brother XSharingonX as he said.....
If I had a choice I would personally live under Abbasid rule

I did not say that the Ottoman were better than Umayyads, nor should there be comarisons etc, such as thing is pointless. (Mabsoot)

Its fine to chat about our great Islamic history, comparisons are nothing but good fun and are interesting. Don't take things too seriously bro.

Saalam brother,

lol, I can see your Andalusian pride as it implied by your name.
The reason why I said "If I had a choice I would under Abbasid caliphate", is not because I believe Abbasid is better than anyone, in fact I never made that comparison who is better or not.
The reason I choose Abbasid is because Many of our great scholars lived during that time period. It would be nice to meet them and talk to them.

-To brother Mabsoot
It is always refreshing to see your post.

May Allah bless you and grant you peace and prosperity in your life. Amin

Wassalam

TiLK

The other subquestion of opening the european lands, this was correct according to Islam because religiously we accept that people can have other faiths but there is no acceptables on any non-islamic governments, only the rule of Allah should be established throughout the world.
Could this mean that an Islamic state is supposed to lead the war against every state on the world until the whole world became under the islamic government?

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
Could this mean that an Islamic state is supposed to lead the war against every state on the world until the whole world became under the islamic government?

no, muslims should not lead war against those who do not pick on them or drive them out places that belong to muslims. muslims should only fight with the agressors. in oder for the world to be under the islamic goverment depends on their ruler or president. if he is so brave fair and can rule very well with the islamic shariah then thats good.

Zafran

Muslim Brother

What you mentioned here are Islamically wrong, but, these things need be seen in context of 100s of years of Ottoman rule. In the golden period, they were good Muslims, and their demise correlated with the slipping away of the Islam from their grasps.

So, we need see things in context.

salaam

true the ottomans had some good periods and good rulers but most of them were not very Islamic and ultimately this had disastrous impact on them and there empire.

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer

I'm not exactly sure about it. But as far as I know, according to the prophechy, Allah SWT gave the Muslims East and the West (referringt o Persian empire and Roman Empire), which by Allah's grace came to being fulfilled.
That specific prophecy did not mention North or the South.

If you look at early Islamic history, at many places the Muslims did stop conquering even though they were in the best position to continue to conquer.
A case in point would be Andalusia.

I'm not sure why you specifically have so many questions about Islam, and if one is answered then you have a question concerning the answer. lol
If you're so curious might as well make it a goal to learn about Islam and its history. Go through our classical books, since you're so curious.

TiLK

no, muslims should not lead war against those who do not pick on them or drive them out places that belong to muslims. muslims should only fight with the agressors. in oder for the world to be under the islamic goverment depends on their ruler or president. if he is so brave fair and can rule very well with the islamic shariah then thats good.

I think this is one of the most important questions. if Islam aims to struggle against the rest of the world, than it us the dangerous religion and all peaceful Muslims are simply, hm, sinning. but if Muslims can not fight against innocent ones - that's what I'm still believing in - than the majority of ottomans empires history was wrong in islamic way. it is also an answer for the question I gave at the beginning.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

While I've seen good answers here, I've also seen some bad. I think the best thing one can do at this point is learn about Islaam, the Qur'aan, the Sunnah and to better himself/herself. The early Ottomans were indeed "Islamic", but before we start talking about whether they were wrong or right, I think there is a need to learn about the ahkaam, the conditions, the types and reasons for Jihaad! Allaah knows best, but it seems that some have spoken about this issue, giving blunt answers which seem to reveal their lack of knowledge on the matter.

Sorry but I'm closing this.

Was-salaam

Status
Not open for further replies.