passport photo!

etoile_de_mer

Assalaamu Alaykum wr wb bros & sis!
i wanted to ask u , esp the sisters living in europe ,for ex,UK..when u took picture for ur passport...are u wearing the hijab or not? is it allowed? bcoz here in my country they said ok..but they told me that they can't guarantee that i can visit european countries and some asian countries..so i'm stuck..they said that the international norm is ur ears and ur hair should be apparent!
plz sisters can u tell me whether u are allowed in UK ..wearing the hijab in the passport picture...or not. are they fussy at the airport? i don't want to remove my hijab. plz reply me asap.

NAVEED

Assalamoalikum sister

No problem at all . My wife has passport ( a european one) with a photo in which she wear scarf covering her head, ears and even most part of her forehaed as well. but the problem lies only in so called muslim countries ( one we came from as well ) who objects that female don't cover your forehead, your ears and make mockery of our sisters who endevour to obey Allah's orders. so my sister in Islam don't worry , you will not have any problem in europe regarding photo in scraf. Assalamoalikum

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
I had NO choice, wallahi i even refused to have a passport if it i had to take off my veil off, but then, my parents (i wont say forced me but they really pushed) and at the end of the day i really needed it :( if you have to take it off make you when you go the airport to make it checked by a woman if possible

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
here I cant wear scarf for the drivers lisense or ID ,in my state they dont let
And I have old picture on there ,when I wasnt wearing hijab ,but now I need to change it and I can't :( they oblige to take off hijab

waaleikum salam

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Or if you must take it off, then try to put your most ugliest face ever for the picture (that's what i did :D)

Munaqaba23

Assalamoalikum sister

No problem at all . My wife has passport ( a european one) with a photo in which she wear scarf covering her head, ears and even most part of her forehaed as well. but the problem lies only in so called muslim countries ( one we came from as well ) who objects that female don't cover your forehead, your ears and make mockery of our sisters who endevour to obey Allah's orders. so my sister in Islam don't worry , you will not have any problem in europe regarding photo in scraf. Assalamoalikum

Wa alaikum assalam
I have noticed the same thing; for example it is almost impossible to get a residence permit (visa) in Tunisia, if passport picture is with hijab. They usually accept original Europeans (!) with hijab, but if you are an arab, don't even bother... So sad, but so true.
Once it took me 20 min to fight with some man in the airport of Monastir(Sousse, Tunisia)... He wouldn't believe that I am Finnish, my father is Finnish, and I am not even married with an arab :angryred:
And when I finally got rid of him, some other man came to ask what I have in my bag, am I a terrorist!?!?! :astag:
Is this the right way to treat a hijabi sister(at that time I didn't wear niqab)? I'm sorry, but I can't accept the way those men behaved. In a Muslim country... :SMILY176:

Well, the original question wasn't about this :shymuslima1:

In Finland, a muslim woman is allowed to wear HIJAB in the passport picture, as long as the forehead is completely visible.
In this website picture number 5 is ok, but 6 and 7 are not.

Because Finland is an EU country, I assume that this kind of picture is accepted in other EU countries also, insha Allah.

:wasalam:

kayleigh

salam aleikum
here I cant wear scarf for the drivers lisense or ID ,in my state they dont let
And I have old picture on there ,when I wasnt wearing hijab ,but now I need to change it and I can't :( they oblige to take off hijab

waaleikum salam

You should try to talk to someone higher up at the DMV, sister. I know Muslim women in our city who wear their hijab in their license photos. I'm pretty sure it's legal throughout the US.

are you trying to renew it because it's expired, or because you just want the photo to be you with the hijab? If it's the later, they might be objecting over the fact that you want to renew/change the picture, even though the license isn't expired, and not because you're actually wearing hijab.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum sister
Yes I just want change pic coz Im not wearing hijab on it ,the lisense are ok
One of the sisters went like 2 weeks ago ,they made her to take it off for picture.They are very racits to the foreigners to be honest ...:(
wasalam

Munaqaba23

One of the sisters went like 2 weeks ago ,they made her to take it off for picture.They are very racits to the foreigners to be honest ...:(
wasalam

Assalamu alaikum!

Here in Finland us sisters have realized, that in fact those people who are taking the passport photos, don't know/care about the rulings.
Once my dear sister went to take the passport photo with hijab, and this woman in the place where she went to take them, was 100% sure that hijab is not allowed in the picture. The woman made it very clear; she was laughing at my sister like she would be stupid/childish, because she is wearing the hijab.

You can just guess who was actually the stupid one... :)
My sister told her "You know madam, I am just coming from the police station, and a police officer said very clearly that I can wear a hijab in the passport picture." My sister also show this same kind of instructions I send you before in that link, to the woman!

Well, obviously the woman didn't bother to apologize, she just said "Well I guess I have to take that photo then" with arrogant look on her face... :angryred:

But, alhamdulillaah, my sister got her pictures, and insha Allah next time that woman will behave as she should... :hijabi:

kayleigh

salam aleikum sister
Yes I just want change pic coz Im not wearing hijab on it ,the lisense are ok
wasalam

How odd...I know about a month ago I was out to get some coffee with a sister. When she was paying, I happened to glance down and see her license in her wallet and she had her hijab on. Wisconsin sucks :(

It's stupid, because if you get pulled over or carded for something, you'll be wearing your hijab...so you won't really look like the photo of you without hijab.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
Assalamu alaikum!

Here in Finland us sisters have realized, that in fact those people who are taking the passport photos, don't know/care about the rulings.
Once my dear sister went to take the passport photo with hijab, and this woman in the place where she went to take them, was 100% sure that hijab is not allowed in the picture. The woman made it very clear; she was laughing at my sister like she would be stupid/childish, because she is wearing the hijab.

You can just guess who was actually the stupid one... :)
My sister told her "You know madam, I am just coming from the police station, and a police officer said very clearly that I can wear a hijab in the passport picture." My sister also show this same kind of instructions I send you before in that link, to the woman!

Well, obviously the woman didn't bother to apologize, she just said "Well I guess I have to take that photo then" with arrogant look on her face... :angryred:

But, alhamdulillaah, my sister got her pictures, and insha Allah next time that woman will behave as she should... :hijabi:

salam aleikum
thanks for that ,I have to check also ,coz may be the state law allow it
Im already tired of them asking about my citizenship every time I go there..
wasalam

etoile_de_mer

Dear sisters & brothers..
thank u for the replies , jazakAllahu khayran.. the fact is that my husband went twice to ask the PIO (passport information officer) and a lady at the counter..they both said same thing...i.e either take with full hijab but i have to sign a paper saying that i'm taking responsibility of it, or take pic with hijab on but with some of the hair showing together with ears..i thought to myself that i don't wanna look like mickey mouse (with ears sticking out of the hijab)!! anyway the sad part is that i met a muslim lady who work there (she is not wearing hijab) she went to ask her superior (who is a muslim man) the man told him that it's better for me not to wear the hijab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i was shocked! how can muslims not support their sister! i felt sad:(
can u all tell me what should i do ? wear hijab & sign paper or wear half hijab mickey mouse style?

etoile_de_mer

and more thing ! of course i do not look the same without the hijab..and moreover i'm going to travel with the hijab..so i'm gonna look the same as in the pic!!and it is no point if they want to check my hair beneath the piece of cloth it is useless..
my passport's expiry date was in feb2007! i'm still hesisating ..i don't know what to do ...plz make duas for me!

*Sana*

.~.Slave of Allah.~.
Assalamualaikum,

I find this really weird, because where I live there is no such thing. Apparently Australia is meant to be a very multicultural country.

However, I have heaps of relatives in London and most of them have their hijaab on in their passport photos.

I personally don't think that for any reason a woman should be obliged to take of her hijaab, because that's what makes us different to Non-Muslims. After all it is our identity. Try telling who is a Mslim and who isn't on the street if they have not got a scarf/hijaab on. Its HARD!

This is a form of Jihaad. May God give us Muslims Stronger faith and Imaan so that we don't have to be so submissive and oppressed by these Non-Believers. May God give us all Muslims the upper hand. May we all unite in the cause of Allah and Islam. Ameen.

Hang in there Sisters. It's a big test but we have that world to look forward to... they will all know who was right and who was wrong.

Wasalaam.

etoile_de_mer

However, I have heaps of relatives in London and most of them have their hijaab on in their passport photos.

This is a form of Jihaad. May God give us Muslims Stronger faith and Imaan so that we don't have to be so submissive and oppressed by these Non-Believers. May God give us all Muslims the upper hand. May we all unite in the cause of Allah and Islam. Ameen.

Hang in there Sisters. It's a big test but we have that world to look forward to... they will all know who was right and who was wrong.

Wasalaam.

Wa alaykum assalaam Sister...
thank u very much ..JazakAllahu Khayran..
u gave me all strength to go forward submit my application for my passport!
May Allah (SWT) Increase our imaan and gives us taqwa and give us victory on this earth and in the hereafter! ameen.