Please change this habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
:salam2: Sisters and brothers. I want to point out a thing that a lot of people are doing. I want people to stop using khuda instead of Allah. Namaz instead of Salah. What is khuda hafiz? Allah has 99 names and and i think Khuda is not it. In the quran it is Salah and not namaz. What is namaz? Infact i was wondering where these words come from. Cause the whole of Iran, Pakistan, India , central asia uses these words. Even thought islamically it is not correct.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
walaikum salam

namaz just means salaat in urdu/hindi .... ?

when u talk in english u say im going to pray ... are you going to say its wrong like everyone uses their own language

about khuda hafiz although i try to say away from this word cuz i heard it has pagan roots, it just means God and hafiz means protect, so it just means God protects u , its a common dua that people of the countries u mention use.

Thats all, many people must be so used it they just use that like i always say namaz instead of salah not everyone is arab ... Althought i do love arabic as its the language of quran.

BinKhadija

An Akhu
:salam2: Sisters and brothers. I want to point out a thing that a lot of people are doing. I want people to stop using khuda instead of Allah. Namaz instead of Salah. What is khuda hafiz? Allah has 99 names and and i think Khuda is not it. In the quran it is Salah and not namaz. What is namaz? Infact i was wondering where these words come from. Cause the whole of Iran, Pakistan, India , central asia uses these words. Even thought islamically it is not correct.
Wa'alykum Salaam Wa'rehmatullah sister,

Just like God is an English word for proper Arabic name Allah, Khuda is Urdu or Hindi word for it. I wholeheartedly agree Allah is the best appropriate word and it's mentioned in Quran and Ahadeeth we all know, but I don't think it's really wrong to use alternative words from other languages.

And,
khuda hafiz = Fi'aman Allah
Namaz = Salaah

How do you mean Islamically they are not correct?

fatima1994

ƒ3!RY $p!r!T
:salam2:
I dont think there's anything wrong with that.....just like the brother's@above pointed out people(muslims) from all over the world have different languages etc ...namaz is NOT an offensive word cuz here its commonly used and it means prayer or salah.
About khuda yeah that one is a bit correct using the word khuda isnt a sin but one should always prefer to use "Allah(swt)"

:wasalam::D

DanyalSAC

I personally say "salaat" instead of "prayer" because in English "prayer" could mean anything. They use the same word for "dua". I use the Arabic words to differentiate between what we do and what Christians - and others - do.

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
Asalam aleekum,

I'm Arabic but I honostly disagree with you no offense, I don't think there is anything wrong with people using their own languages to say different things....I'm Arabic (again) but I never tell my American friends "please excuse me I'm going to sali(make salah)" I tell them "please excuse me I'm gonna go pray" and if Urdu speaking people say Namaz then theres nothing wrong with it....and about the other word which means in Arabic "fi aman Allah" or "may god protect u" well theres nothing wrong with it. I use Allah with my American friends all the time but thats because I got them used to it but I used to say god and I still say god when writing essays, so people can understand because not everyone knows Allah means god and we must clarify that....

Everyone is free to use whatever language they please if thats the language they feel most comfortable with...we shouldn't force our language upon other people...yes we Arabic speaking people understand it but that doesn't mean everyone does ....

Yes, the Holy Quran is in Arabic but If you noticed the Quran has been translated in many languages including Urdu....this is so that everyone is able to read and understand the Quran in the language they know....if it was islamically incorrect to say salah as Namaz then that means islamically the translation of the Quran in different languages is incorrect as well

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
Asalam aleekum again,

I'm typing from my iPod so it's kind of hard to add more info on my previous reply....

I was trying to make a point before and I hope everyone understood and please I don't want anyone to feel offended by my reply because my intentions(niyah) were good...

I apologize if I offended anyone especially sister BasicofIslam....samihini itha kalami jarahik...ana fahmanah aleeki...bes atmena inik fihimti gasdi aw ma3na kalami....

Salam

Salam

BinKhadija

An Akhu
May Allah reward you for bringing that up, brother ayman1. I had never thought or had never heard about it.

But I guess, we can safely use terms like Asslam'u Alykum, Fi'aman Allah, and others most basic ones? What do you reckon?

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

This is an issue of *lingual difference*..we cannot *dictate* people's language use in this aspect..especially if it does not contain blasphemies and things as such...many agree that the word Allah is the most profound..specific..and correct word to mean *God* in definition..but we have to remember that at the end of the day..it is *Arabic*..

We Muslims are *not* all Arab..and not *all* Arabs are Muslim (even!)...so we need to be mindful of this matter

I mean let's think about it...

Would a *Japanese* person use the word Allah when speaking to others?!...of course not!...they'll most likely use the English *God* if they're speaking to English-speaking individuals...or the Japanese *Kami* if they're speaking to fellow Japanese persons..perhaps if they're Muslim..they'd use Allah..but that would *still* be based on some *very conditional usage*

We have a diverse ummah ukhti..so long this diversity does not contradict the 'aqeedah or Allah's commands..we should enjoy the beauty in it...because it *is* beautiful to hear all these words expressive of Allah's presence in people's minds..intentions..and sentiments

Dios..Khuda..Theos..Kami..Dieu..Mungu..God...

The words are many..but for us Muslims..*The God* is *One*..and so long that belief is maintained in faith and practice..that's *all* that matters :)

:wasalam:

BinKhadija

An Akhu
..., It's motivation for trying to find the right English words that convey the same meaning.

Case in point is As-Salaah. The English word for it is prayer. In fact, it's a perfect translation! That's because the Arabic word As-Salaah actually means supplication, which is what the English word prayer also means! But Az-Zakaah is a difficult word to translate because it means two things: growth and purification.
Thanks, brother. Jazak Allah for this extremely useful explanation.

So Prayer IS quite correct translation for Salaah. But I think if MANY people start using the word 'prayer' for Salaah, I think may be we will end up with a newly evolved (created, if you like) word which will be solely used for Salaah to mean in English language. Don't you think so?

:salam2:I would rather say Allah Hafiz because since Allah cannot be made plural, feminine, etc. and it was more appropriate. The term Allah Hafiz or Khuda Hafiz are not used in Arabian peninsula. It is a pure Mughal- Indian creation. These are the most emotional parting words that were common since time immemorial in Urdu-Hindi speaking regions.Avoid saying Khuda. Saman Khuda, was a Persian noble who converted to Islam. Its weird tho, I head thats where the term Khuda Hafiz derived from. Most people don't know this and assign the word Khuda with God, thus removing its origin. So in all Actuality, it should be ok to say it. By why not just say ALLAH HAFIZ. Say the names of ALLAH. Its like saying, God Hafiz

azmirush

QUOTE=ayman1;405276] The more English we use, the easier it is for us to call non-Muslims to Islam.

QUOTE]

I do agree with you ayman1. I mingle with the non-muslims a lot and to use common terms with them would make them understand better about Islam. It takes time too for them to know "our" terms.

:wasalam:

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Saying Allah (SWT) instead of other Terms

I actually agree with sister Bint Khadijah in a lot of ways, like for example, using the word "Khuda" or "God" instead of "Allah." Let us understand the differance between saying Allah (SAW) and these other words. Like what we already have heard, Khuda, in Farsi (and it's sub-languages, like Pashto, Urdu, and a bit of Bangla/Hindi) is known as meaning "Diety."

This word Khuda, and the word "God" has the same rule that applies to it. When one says the word "Khuda," or "God," then they usually use it to mean THEIR OWN Diety, who THEY THEMSELVES WORSHIP. Like an example, if you go to a Muslim in Kurasan (Afghanistan/West Pakistan/North East Iran), and he says Khuda, who is he reffering to? Allah (SAW), who (again)? ALLAH (SWT)

But if we go to a Hindu, or a Zorastrian, and they say "Khuda," who are THEY reffering to? Not to Allah (SAW)! But to THEIR Diety, or in other words,
Krishna or Ahura Mazda (NOT ALLAH) (SWT)

And the same thing is with the word, "God." If again, you go to a Muslim, and they say "God," then WHO are they reffering to? Again, THEY are reffering to ALLAH (SWT)

But if you go to a Catholic, and they, like the MUSLIM, say "God," are they, like the Hindu and the Zorastrian above, reffering to Allah (SWT)? NO

But rather, when the Catholic says "God," they actually reffer to WHO? Jesus Christ, who THEY see as their Diety, THEIR object of worship.

And so what you see here is a contrast between the terms used by the Mushrikeen, and the term used by the MUSLIM. By someone saying the word "Khuda," or "God," the ONLY one that they are reffering to is who? The one that THEY WORSHIP, THEIR IDOLS, LIKE KRISHNA, MARY, JESUS, etc.

Although if we instead say ALLAH (SWT), we are not merely reffering to someone who we (as Muslims) worship. That is the BEAUTY in Allah (SWT)'s name, because to CORRECTLY translate what Allah (SWT) means in English (or in any language), we can NOT just use one word, because Allah (SWT) means:

-The Creator of the Heavens and the Earth.

-The one who has power over all things.

-The Mighty and the Transcendent (<so uniquely pure and Mighty beyond what anyone can imagine).

-The one in use hand is the Grip of the Dominion of the Heavens and the Earth.

-The Lord of all of Creation (and of all of the differant Kingdoms of the Beings ex. Jinn, Humans, Angels, etc.)

-And to whom belongs 99 unique attributes and names (which is TOO long for me to describe here, and besides, you all get the point by now)

And so basically, instead of having to say ALL of the ABOVE (especially all of the 99 names in one breath!) we instead, just say, "Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta Alla)," because ALL of the above (and the 99 names) together CAN be summed up by just saying, "Allah," BUT, you could NOT do that in ANY other way, such as by saying "Khuda," or "God," because, like as we have learned earlier, these two terms are limited to only reffering to one's own personal Diety, or in other words, the one who THEY personally worship, such as Krishna, Ahura Mazda, Mary, or Jesus.

And so that is what the result is from using "Khuda" or "God." BUT if ANYONE where to use ALLAH (SWT), who could they reffer to? To Jesus (AS) or his mother? To Angra Mayna, or a tree? No! Because VERILY, ALLAH (SWT)'s name can NOT be used to reffer to ANY other being, except the BEING who is PERFECT, SUPREME, TRANSCENDENT, and who is the ONLY ONE WHO IS DESERVING OF BEING WORSHIPPED.

And if you were to REALLY look at this beautiful term, Allah, and you were to look into the ROOTS of the word, what would you find? The words, "al" meaning "The" or specifying something/someone specific, and "Illah," which means, that which is worshipped.

And so when these two words, "al" and "Illah" are combined together, the meaning then becomes differant because the "al" and "Illah" fuses together, thus making something NEW, a NOUN, with a SPECIAL MEANING, and THAT NEW NOUN THAT IS MADE by fusing together "al & Illah" which makes "Allah," and now also the MEANINGS OF THE TWO WORDS COMBINE AND FORM ANOTHER SPECIAL AND SUPER MEANING, WHICH IS NOT MAINLY "THE ONE WHO IS WORSHIPPED," BUT INFACT, IT MEANS, "THE ONLY ONE WHO IS DESERVING OF BEING WORSHIPPED."

And so THAT is the beauty of using Allah (SAW) rather than using Khuda, or God, because ANYONE has their own mixed or twisted meaning of who "Khuda" or "God" is, BUT, IF THE TERM ALLAH (SWT) IS USED, THEN NO ONE, NOT EVEN A NON MUSLIM, CAN HAVE ANY ARGUMENT ABOUT WHO ALLAH (SWT) REFFERS TO (as long as WE explain it correctly!), and to WHO is Allah (SWT) REFERRED to? The CREATOR OF THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH, WHO IS THE MOST PERFECT BEYONG OUR UNDERSTANDING, AND WHO IS THE SUPREME, AND TO WHOM BELONGS NO COMPARISON OR EQUAL.

And so Alhamdulillah, right now we have Inshallah, been able to understand the IMPORTANCE of referring to our Lord, by saying Allah (SWT), instead of using any other words, and so brothers and sisters, at the end of the day, this shows the BEAUTY that is in Islam, because NOT ONLY is Allah (SWT) UNIQUE in his attributes, but ALSO is his NAME, and so when we want to, Inshallah give Dawah to others about Islam, we should NOT use words such as "God" or "Khuda," because by doing so, we have now limited the description of our Lord, to merely meaning, "the one who we worship." Hence, what happens by using "Khuda" or "God," instead of Allah (SWT).

But rather, what is best is that EVEN when giving Dawah to NON MUSLIMS, we use the word Allah (SWT), and as to not make things difficult or hard to understand for them, we should, whether they ask or not, explain to them what Allah (SWT) means, that the term Allah (SWT) does not merely refer to one Being who we (as Muslims) worship (meaning Allah does not merely mean "god"), but it reffers to the CREATOR of EVERYTHING, who is the LORD of all of CREATION, who is YOUR LORD, and MY LORD, YOUR CREATOR, and MY CREATOR, and who is SUPREME, BEYOND what ANYONE can IMAGINE in their MIND, who is SO UNIQUE, to which he can NOT be contained into the body of a man ("Jesus"), NOR can his appearance be comprehended by our minds. Who has NO begginning, and he does NOT have and end, rather, he IS the FIRST, and the LAST, and THUS, he could NOT have came out of the womb of a female, nor from the privates of a male (Mary, and some other dude...).

And so brothers and sisters, at this point, to non Muslims I would explain who Allah (SWT) reffers to, by using the greatest of his names, and then I would explain to them that the BEST way for them to understand who Allah (SWT) reffers to, is by READING THE QURAN.

And also a note here brothers and sisters. Know that the REASON why I've spent ALL this time talking about this (and why I used up TWO HOURS, which the time right now is 3:43 A.M). I did NOT spend two hours at night, to EXPLAIN something VERY important, so that I could have one, or a COUPLE of responses saying that I am WRONG in what I am trying to say.

PLEASE brothers and sisters, I have had a LOT of experience in giving Dawah to non Muslims (in the past), and ONE GREAT mistake that I have done, is the EXACT same thing that I am trying to warn all of you about, and that is replacing the term Allah (SWT), with the term "God," and also by saying that "God" and "Allah (SAW)" reffers to the same being. WALLAHI it does NOT reffer to the same being to EVERYONE, to a MUSLIM, it DOES, to a MUSLIM, "God" reffers to "Allah (SWT)," but I've had Baptists and Catholics coming up to me and saying that their term "God," which THEY use to reffer to Jesus (AS), is the SAME as "Allah (SWT)," and so basically they were trying to tell me that there's NO DIFFERANCE, WHAT SO EVER, between who THEY worship, and consider to be "God," who is "Jesus Christ," and between Allah (SWT), who WE consider, to be "God."

And so it ALL just leads to a confusing, endless, time consuming, and POINTLESS debate, and in the end, you know what happens? It destroys EVERYTHING that you were trying to teach them, that Islam is DIFFERANT, UNIQUE, and PURE, ESPECIALLY, when it comes to WHO deserves to be worshipped, so PLEASE brothers and sisters, PLEASE, remember to use the term Allah (SAW), ALL the TIME, EVEN to NON MUSLIMS, and remember to EXPLAIN to them about WHO is Allah (SAW), so that they do NOT get confused, and which can, Inshallah, lead to one more person being guided, and being saved from the ETERNAL torment of Jahanam.

I will NOT discuss this further, because I HAVE explained my point, the CLEAREST that I could. And ANOTHER reason why we should say Allah (SWT), is because in the Quran, Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla says:

"ALLAH! There indeed! Deserves none who is worthy of being worshipped but him. To your Lord belongs the Beautifullest of names, (so call him with those beautiful names of his, the way they were revealed)."
-Surah Taha:8

And so THAT is why we should use Allah, Subhanahu wa Ta Alla, instead of any other term, because, more or less to the meaning, in this Ayet Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla starts by saying his name, "Allah," and the way he connects this name of his, with his description (that none has the right to be worshipped but he), and finally, to finish off by saying that to HIM (to who, exactly? To the one that this verse is reffering to, NOT "God," not "Khuda," but to ALLAH (SWT), and that to HIM), belongs the Beautifullest of names, and so this indicates, that this name of our Lord, Allah (SWT), is ONE of the MOST beautifullest of his names, and it is the MOST mentioned name of his, out of the ENTIRE QURAN.

And once again, I would like to say that I will NOT debate about this, since I have spent SO much time typing this post up. Instead of spending 2 hours doing my Quran studies, brothers and sisters, I have decided to spend 2 hours, to clear this one big misconception up, for what? For the BENEFIT of the Ummah and the DEEN of Allah (SWT), and so that Allah (SWT) could be pleased with me.

And finally, I would like to ask Allah (SWT), that he is pleased with me, for spending a lot of my time here, typing up this post, just for his sake, and that he, by his Infinite Mercy and Compassion, forgives me for all of my sins and shortcomings, and that he guides ALL of us, upon the way of Truth, and that way, which is the way, of the Anbiyyah (ASWS), and of Allah (SWT)'s most beloved and Pious servants, Ameen.

ansari

STRANGER...
:salam2: bro Abdul hasib :D .. nice to see u akhi :D

BinKhadija is our brother :lol:

jazakallah khair :)

zainsmommy

Assalamu Aleikom
Very Good reminder! Thank you for this!
I used to end my messages or conversations with Masalama and Allah Hafiz then heard a very powerful and educational lecture about it and now I only use assalamu aleikom or waaleikom salam in opening and closing.

revert2007

Love Fishing
Well the translation of the shahadah is "There is NO GOD but ALLAH"

it shows that we suppose to use Allah instead of God.

Who use the word God?Non believers use it.So we are not suppsoe to use it.We muslims are uniqe and everything we do should be unique and different from disbelievers.

abdellah007

I always wonder what Namaz means till I asked a brother and I still forget it sometimes. Khuda, I never heard of this.

DanyalSAC

Frankly I'm more bothered by the use of the word "hazrat". From what I'm lead to believe its an Arabic word that's not used by Arabic speakers?

zinirah

I have often wondered this myself...llol. As I am around a lot of Pakistani people I knew what they were talking about when they said namaz but i never knew where or why they said that instead of the arabic word, but i know it's like everyone has their own language and stuff, just like English is prayer. for Khuda hafiz...I don't even know what that means just i know that pakistanis say that when they are leaving or Allah Hafiz....
I always say ASSALAM U ALAIKUM!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.