Poll For Converts Only

What religion did you follow prior to converting to Islam?

• Total voters

elysetexel

I was Catholic and was guiding youthclasses. I also lived in a convent. But one day I thought this isn't right and started to study with Jehovahswitnisses and then I found out that that wasn't right. Accually they brought me into Islam! I noticed that Islam made meaning to me and could answer all my question, and the Christianity never did.
A friend of mine is priest and he doesn't even know Iam a muslim and another friend who is in Medjugorje now doens't know either. they won't understand, so I have to tell it really carefully. I lost one friend allready. But when they can't handle it I have to move on, even when it will hurt my heart.

:tti_sister:

elysetexel

i was christian , i used to pray to god not jesus.. i thought jesus died and was son of god i always wanted to cover my body and head and always wanted to know my creater and now i do! alhmdulilah ! :muslim_child:

yes I had that too, the feeling to cover up. I never knew where it came from.

elysetexel

It's always sad to hear how new Muslims lose friends or family when they tell them of their conversion. May God strengthen you, sister, and increase your faith. And may He guide your friends back to you.

The reason they leave is not because they hate you; it's because they believe you've changed to the worse. You are the same good person they've always known, only better now, but they don't know it, because all they hear about Islam everyday is negative. That's partially the fault of adverse propaganda, but mostly the fault of Muslims themselves who project a closed-minded, backward, violent image to the world.

The escape from this vicious cycle is for your friends to realize that Islam is what you have always been, not that you have become what they think Islam is.

Thank you for your answer. I know, people believe what they hear and don't wanna know the thruth about it. It's hard, but I was warned by sisters and brothers.

Valerie

so have you actually doen your shahadah?
and since you reverted from "None or Other" please post which "other" was it?

I'm sorry I missed this post til just now. I'll have to go check the date but yes, I did. Twice actually. I said it to two sisters here on the site (*hugs* to them). I've gotten really discouraged but I'm trying to get myself back on track.

The "other".. I'd say that I was searching so there wasn't a specific name. I was raised Seventh Day Adventist. I left that when I was about 22. Since then I've looked at nearly everything. Buddhism, Paganism, Catholicism... Took quizzes, read books... I prayed often, but it wasn't any specific religion. Last year I had it narrowed down to Catholicism or Islam. Started at Catholicism (the religion of my husband's family, he's not practicing) and I was fascinated by nuns. One day I was looking at pictures, and I ran across a side-by-side picture of a nun and a muslim lady and I started to look at Islam. So, here I am :)

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
:salam2:

I was christian (protestant) but my family aren´t interesting about religion at all. They go to church only when someone is getting married or to funerals.

Mila

I was Baptist but I never really understood it I was only Christian mainly because my family was and I was raised as so until I met a friend who was Muslim and I started asking her questions and I believed Islam was the true religion and it made perfect sense to me unlike Christianity.

mrahim

Salam

Actually, I loved going to church up until I was in high school. The church I grew up with was very nice - it was very traditional (we still did a lot in Latin) and I really liked the traditions. I liked how I felt singing to God, I liked the rituals, and after we moved, the new church was more - modern? - and it just didn't FEEL like what church should feel like.

I have been to other truly Christian churches (mostly when staying at a friends' house or for funerals) and found some of them to be, well, a little wacky (I went to a funeral when I was 16 for a girl who was 16 who died in a car accident from my school at the "World Believers' Church" and they were cheering and clapping and dancing that the girl was "SO LUCKY" to be in heaven with God! - I just thought that was StRaNgE!!!).

One thing I do miss is the comraderie of going to church (my family did a lot of church related activities - my mom was the organ player, brother was an altar boy) because here in Kuwait, most of the mosques are men-only (the one by my house does not have a woman's section) and even if they did, because of the nature of Kuwaitis (nearly everyone is related some way or another, near or distantly), the women generally don't bother going to the mosque's except during Ramadan and Eid because they will just go to family homes on Fridays. And because of my non-Arabic speaking, my husband's family non-English speaking, and the dysfunction of his family, I am basically a Muslimah all alone in a Muslim majority country.

I do like the rituals of ISlam - for some reason, having rituals and rules just seems "right" to me (ritual prayer rites, ritual prayer washing, ritual/organized fasting, etc) and they seem to bring the believers together (even if just in spirit, because we are all doing the exact same things, at generally the same time).

See? This would be much easier to explain and discuss in person than on the Internet, but I have no one to discuss it with in real life. *sigh*

Lana

salam lana,

my name is rahim and i am from malaysia if you want to discuss or ask questions about ISLAM we can chat @ yahoo msg

you can add me and my id is ---- rm_mas01*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!

God's willing will assist you with whatever i knw and can

TQ AND GOD BLESS

mrahim

i am nt convert.nice to see the background of the people in the forum who converted to islam.

Dear bros/sis

try to read and understand the QURAN in the language that you can understand first then you decide about your faith.

ISLAM is for the universe not for any specific race, culture and customs, many misunderstood about this, it has been the religion of all prophets and messengers, QURAN is the consummation of all scriptures.

INSYA ALLAH GOD will guide you to the right path.

TQ AND GOD BLESS

mrahim

I was Baptist but I never really understood it I was only Christian mainly because my family was and I was raised as so until I met a friend who was Muslim and I started asking her questions and I believed Islam was the true religion and it made perfect sense to me unlike Christianity.

Dear bros/sis,

to strengthen your believe about ISLAM, please read, study and understand the QURAN and read it in the language you can understand bcoz the message is important for salvation. QURAN is the consummation of all scriptures and divine books not some man made story or fabrications.

Hope this helps and GOD BLESS

mrahim

Thank you for your answer. I know, people believe what they hear and don't wanna know the thruth about it. It's hard, but I was warned by sisters and brothers.

SALAM

Dear bros/sis

Do not worry about losing your luv ones and friends, GOD will replace with better one and INSYA ALLAH one day they will be come back to you, respect you and better off than before. This has always been the case to converts and it has happened to most of the prophets, ABRAHAM, NOAH, JOB, MOSES just to name a few and many of their deciples. Yes it is hard but this is to strengthen your faith, keep on reading and understand the QURAN you will be a stronger and better MUSLIM and can face any challenges that comes to you since all of us will be tested to get the BEST MUSLIM out of us.

QURAN is the book of salvation and from GOD and there is no contradictions, as long as you hold to it, GOD will support you all the way.

TQ AND GOD BLESS

mrahim

SALAM bros/sis

To be born MUSLIM is not good enough, practitioner MUSLIM is what matters and important for our salvation.

Read and understand the QURAN and you will find all the answers there, what ISLAM is about and the the difference between believers and non believers. ISLAM is a religion of the prophets and messengers and can only be grasp by those who is sincere and posses intelligent.

TQ AND GOD BLESS

mrahim

Assalamu Alaikum

I was a Catholic before but yesterday I reverted to Islam Alhamduluilah!

Islam is the true religion and ALLAH {swt} Is the One and only GOD.

Walaikum Salam

salam gareth,

yes and ALHAMDULILLAH, ALLAH is the only GOD and he has no partners. ISLAM is a perfect religion but many ignored it is the religion for the universe and the religion of all prophets and messengers of GOD.

Read and understand the QURAN and you will be better MUSLIM and practrice all the teachings that you gain from the QURAN since it is book of salvation.

TQ AND GOD BLESS

mrahim

I was agnostic and didn't adhere to any religion before Islam.
I beleived in God but didn't find the right religion that I thought was right and that I agreed with.
But alhumdillah I found Islam and converted a few weeks ago.

:blackhijab:

SALAM

glorify and praise GOD since he has guided you to the right path, read the QURAN and understand you will be much happier and appreciate GOD more. QURAN is a book of salvation and is not man made.

Be a practicing MUSLIM and GOD will love and take care you more...

ISLAM IS SUBMISSION TO THE WILL OF GOD. The more you submit the better and righteous you are and more meaning and purpose of this life.

TQ AND GOD BLESS

salapuddin35

I used to be Catholic, i was raised as a Catholic i studied in a Catholic School. My Parents were Catholic. Our Country is Predominantly Catholic

ayra_j

Assalamu'alaikum!

I was born Moslem. both my parents are Moslems.
Whatever backgrounds we hailed from, I'm glad I met you guys, albeit virtually.
We're united under one banner, "ISLAM" and it is surely for all mankind.
AlhamduliLLAH, we are here today, sharing different views on one common subject.
May Allah bless us, Ameen Ya Robbal 'Alamin!

haakym

love

I was a Christian from a non-practicing family. We only went to church a couple of times, but I was too young to understand it and it never influenced me. I had a copy of the bible that I would read sometimes but again seeing as I was young and not thoroughly interested, I would skim some parts whenever I felt like it. Alhamdulilah I never came into contact with the concept of the trinity, and I didn't know anything about it, so I just prayed to Allah (not too often) and said what came to mind. I am glad to say that I never worshiped anything besides Allah subhana wa ta'ala even though I was Christian

Pretty much summed up my background too!