Post-Reversion Issues:

sachin4islam

Assalam Alaikum.

Most of the Islamic websites adorn their contents with a segment on reverts to Islam, may be in form of articles or videos. But these never talk about the issues perplexing reverts and about ways to sought out their difficulties. The dream of one Ummah is baseless if the reverts do not survive in Deen of Allah. I came across an article by some professor from Preston University ,Ajman in U.A.E that hardly 10-15% of reverts survive in Islam during first year of reversion.

May TTI platform take some initiative to discuss post-reversion issues of new Muslims.

Regards.

Idris16

Wa Alaykum salam warahmatullah wabarakatuh

Reverts here tend to live on for years though and I remember a sister here saying it was ridicilous that a revert would leave the deen. The parents usually dislike their children to marry reverts because they fear reverts leaving islam.

Valerie

Assalam Alaikum.

Most of the Islamic websites adorn their contents with a segment on reverts to Islam, may be in form of articles or videos. But these never talk about the issues perplexing reverts and about ways to sought out their difficulties. The dream of one Ummah is baseless if the reverts do not survive in Deen of Allah. I came across an article by some professor from Preston University ,Ajman in U.A.E that hardly 10-15% of reverts survive in Islam during first year of reversion.

May TTI platform take some initiative to discuss post-reversion issues of new Muslims.

Regards.

:wasalam:

Welcome!

I believe those numbers. It's hard. I could be anything, atheist, pagan, catholic, and my family would be okay. My husband would be fine. But I was told flat out that he didn't want me to be Muslim (mostly because of what he's seen in the media about how women are treated). I would think that marrying into a muslim family would be easier for a revert to survive, because then there would be a support system, which most of us lack. It's easy to get frustrated and confused and just give up.

Just my thoughts.

Perseveranze

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Have you tried some of these, their basically sites wholly dedicated to new converts -

There was another site, but it seemed more dedicated to Shia...

And I certainly agree, the Ummah won't spread unless we give the new brothers and sisters more attention and support.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I also believe those numbers. I feel that some reverts make the decision too fast. For example, I have known 2 young adult women who reverted to Islam, and jumped into it too fast.

For example, within 6 months they wore hijab or niqab and were looking to get married to a Muslim man. Before they were Muslim for 1 year, they then left Islam because they were overwhelmed.

Islam is a lot more than hijabs and Muslim men, there is a lot of reading & self-anaylsis involved...I am a revert and Insha'Allah I will be a Muslim until the day Allah (swt) calls me home.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
I also believe those numbers. I feel that some reverts make the decision too fast. For example, I have known 2 young adult women who reverted to Islam, and jumped into it too fast.

For example, within 6 months they wore hijab or niqab and were looking to get married to a Muslim man. Before they were Muslim for 1 year, they then left Islam because they were overwhelmed.

Islam is a lot more than hijabs and Muslim men, there is a lot of reading & self-anaylsis involved...I am a revert and Insha'Allah I will be a Muslim until the day Allah (swt) calls me home.

:salam2:

I will disagree a bit with you. It's not about jumping into things too fast. SubhanAllah, when we are following the religion of Islam by observing Hijab/Niqab or keeping sunnah beard, we are coming out of darkness of being astray and in to the light of guidance from Allah azz zawajal. It is praiseworthy and recommended to rush to following the deen in such matters.

Rather what is lacking is the spiritual component (as you rightly pointed out) which comes by acquiring knowledge and implementing it. Why are we praying ? Why are we observing Hijab ? etc etc. These are the questions that we need to know the answer of. If we are firmly grounded in these matters (in terms of knowledge), we will be able to pass adverse times with relative ease and have patience.

This is true for even born muslims. I have seen some people stop practicing Islam after their loved ones passed away.. "How could Allah do such a thing ?" they would reason. However, it is lack of understanding of the purpose of this life and that life in itself is given to us by Allah Almighty, who can take it away at any time or moment.. SubhanAllah, if people only read the story of Anas bin Malik's mother Radi Allahu Anha when she lost her young infant.

Sorry for digressing.. Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Kakorot

I agree with you. For a while a person may be following almost everything that Islam prescribes but how long will they be able to keep up? And can they do all this for the rest of their lives? For some people following Islam may just be a phase in their lives and then they give it up after a while. It is better if a person takes time or like you said people get overwhelmed and leave Islam altogether.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
I agree it is easy for reverts to feel overwhelmed. Even though I was given advice very early on to take my time, it is still difficult to pace yourself, because you want to do everything possible to please Allah swt.

Dua for this, for that, so many dua. Which shoe to put on first, reading Quran, and hadith and fiqh and so much more. It's like becoming a robot, and you lose time for your own thoughts, which are what brought you to Islam in the first place. If I could give advice to new reverts, it would be in the first year to learn and keep prayers, and read Quran until you know it well. Everything else can wait

Kakorot

Message to reverts and Muslims who start following Islam:

When you start practising Islam, take it easy. One step at a time starting with the five daily salat. Do what is obligatory first, then do optional deeds every now and again. Then you will not be overwhelmed inshallah.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Message to reverts and Muslims who start following Islam:

When you start practising Islam, take it easy. One step at a time starting with the five daily salat. Do what is obligatory first, then do optional deeds every now and again. Then you will not be overwhelmed inshallah.

assalamu alaykum,

They need to know why they became muslim in the first place.

The starting point is always learning Tawheed, so they understand who Allah is by gaining knowledge of His names and attributes, and why we worship Him alone. This is the foundation of all our beliefs, without which our actions are meaningless.

Unfortunately, a lot of people have weak understanding of Tawheed, and thus, when they do get into bad times they get a big knock on their Iman. - Often, they "feel" they do not need help, or they do not get the help they require and end up leaving Islam.

Wasalamu Alaykum

saifkhan

abd-Allah
as salam 'alaykum warahamtu-llah

JazakALlah khair brother Mabsoot for you precious reply.

if the tawheed is clear, neither one has to leave deen nor going to be misguided.
and subhan Allah this is the base of our deen and if this is not okay, Allah will never forgive.

other I can mention, the reasons behind the helping hand of ours.

when a person reverts, he/she faces a lot problem, it can be financial distress, family pressure, need of close observation or brotherly/sisterly care.

Our dawah doesn't end with shahadah, actually it starts into gross level.
because neither dawah is just giving a lecture or debating and have people entered into Islam, nor everyone gonna be like sheikhs, by the grace of Allah, under whose hand, by his lectures people enter into Islam.

Dawah is also our money, that we can give to help our newly revert brothers and sisters, if they are facing problem.
Dawah is also our character, our Akhlaq, our brotherly/sisterly care, humbleness and help towards our new brothers/sisters.
Dawah is also our time, we should spend to teach them, to be with them, to have them away from their pass sins

so, the shuyukh,the scholars have done their responsibility of Dawah, when someone enters Islam, but then starts ours.

may Allah azza wa jal help us to understand His deen, so that we may benefit ourselves in the Dunya and the Akhirah.

may Allah strengthen our deen with the firm believers and may He give us the prescribed victory

ameen ya rabbal 'alakeen

barakAllahu feekum
wassalam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
assalamu alaykum,

I also think the help, respect, care and other things should be universal, not limited to reverts. If we can reduce the need of distinguishing between reverts and those who are not reverted, unless it is truly needed, the better. All sorts of people may be facing problems and in need of the support of the Ummah.

esperanza

revert of many years
assalamu alaykum,

I also think the help, respect, care and other things should be universal, not limited to reverts. If we can reduce the need of distinguishing between reverts and those who are not reverted, unless it is truly needed, the better. All sorts of people may be facing problems and in need of the support of the Ummah.

yes brother,,,,this is a very true point....there are muslims everywhere revert and non revert who have problems and need support

muslimah721

I agree it is easy for reverts to feel overwhelmed. Even though I was given advice very early on to take my time, it is still difficult to pace yourself, because you want to do everything possible to please Allah swt.

Dua for this, for that, so many dua. Which shoe to put on first, reading Quran, and hadith and fiqh and so much more. It's like becoming a robot, and you lose time for your own thoughts, which are what brought you to Islam in the first place. If I could give advice to new reverts, it would be in the first year to learn and keep prayers, and read Quran until you know it well. Everything else can wait

Thanks a lot. You're right there is a lot to learn. I also converted last month during my freshman year of college, and college takes a huge toll of my time. So far, I know how to pray in part English & part Arabic, I'm reading the Quran, go on youtube to watch vids on things that concern me about Islam, & listen to hadiths on my MP3. I wish I knew a lot more, but I know that it's not going to happen overnight.

Even when I was Baptist, I didn't know much about that religion either. Only went to church every Easter, knew about a few prophets, & believed that Jesus was crucified and died for our sins, & prayed every once in a while..