Praying in public..what do you think

zinirah

Well the other day my friend and I were talking about this, and I have seen some photos of muslims on the ground doing salah. These were men doing salah in public, and then once i remember watching a video of American convert's to islam and the 2 woman did salah in the store because it was time...My question is it good to do salah in public?? I wan't opinion and i really want to know if it is ok. My friend and I pray in the school, they let us go in room to do so.

zinirah

Well the other day my friend and I were talking about this, and I have seen some photos of muslims on the ground doing salah. These were men doing salah in public, and then once i remember watching a video of American convert's to islam and the 2 woman did salah in the store because it was time...My question is it good to do salah in public?? I wan't opinion and i really want to know if it is ok. My friend and I pray in the school, they let us go in room to do so.
I forgot to ask about if you do pray in public would you worry about people looking at you?

Summer03

3doTs2sQuares
well it depends where 'outside' is because I've prayed outside and it was ok...but I really don't like it because I don't worry about people looking but it's that them looking at me just takes away my focus in prayer and it's not worth it I'd rather pray late and focused and not in the public eye with no concentration

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
As long the place is clean from najis and there is no mussolah nearby then no issue. No choice, especially if you are in countries predominantly non-muslim, for sure you will not easily find mussolah in shopping complexes or other public places.

Sanaa01

Muslima

salam2:
I personally as a women I rather pray at home or later when I get home or to the mosque because I feel uncomfortable other people especially guys staring at me and sometimes when I really need to pray like al 3aser and I know I will not be home until after almaghreb I pray in my car

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
As-salaamu'alaikum.

Praying outside is fine, everything is considered halaal and tahir until there is evidence to suggest otherwise so do not worry about that side of things. Sisters praying in public is disliked of course, due to positions such as sajdah, for obvious reasons. And as for people looking at you, I have had this before and what is there to worry about? You are standing before Allah, they are not, surely they have much to worry about...

WAllahu 'alam.

gazkour

Assalamo alikom wa rahmato Allah wa barakato

As a sister I would pray in public just in case of desperation ( I mean: after looking for more private places and not finding one, and I know I'm about to miss my prayer!) But I do admire those brothers who do it...why not? People drink alcohol, kiss, smoke, walk half naked in the streets, so why not bowing down and exhalting the Most High??

May Allah guide us all.

Assalamo alikom wa rahmato Allah wa barakato

pcozzy

:salam2:

being that you are female, you might not be comfortable to do so in public and that is ok. You can as others suggested in a car, or private area. As for me, just pull over pull out my sijada, and pray. I do it for Dawaa purposes as well. Of course, were I live in the US, people get scared and ask are you ok, is everything alright. I find this at times to be distracting but after time I learned to deal with it.

Here is a video that I think you may like:

[yt]MKd-OaRGt4o[/yt]

:wasalam:

noose

Asalam Alekum,
Every object around us is worshiping Allah every second of the day, everyone thing around us is in rememberence of Allah every second. So when we pray we are in tranquility with everything around us, we are doing what every object was created to do, worship Allah swt. So concerning praying in public, I strongly encourage it, not only is it Dawaa but it shows how much you love and fear Allah. Do you love Allah enough to make what may look to others as weird movements? Do you fear the people around you more then Allah that you are to scared or embarassed to pray in front of them. Anyways most people that see you praying will respect you for it because it shows real faith and love for Allah, and courage for doing something 'unusual' to most people.

Jazak Allah Kheir.

palestine

Servant of Allah
I forgot to ask about if you do pray in public would you worry about people looking at you?

Asalamu alaykum wrwb. To answer you first question, i think that it depends on WHERE you are in public. if you are able to get a room in a public area to pray then do so, if not i think it is ok and i would pray then in public. i prayed in a public hallway a few times and yes i've heard some non muslims making remarks, which sometimes makes you worry...cause some of them might be disrespectful and kick you in the rear in sujud. It does kinda worry me to pray in public not because of the harassment we might face but i think to myself "what if shaytan is just making me show off, and i'm not actually praying for the sake of Allah?" that's why i do not like praying in public. One of my friends has prayed on top of a table before. It was salah time and it was in a cafeteria and she had no place to pray. everyone was watching her and surprised. lol. but i think she's brave. :salam2:

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
wa alaikum salaam
I have pray in public several times; it is always easier though when you have some sharing the stares and glares with you. I try not to pray in pubic at least not outside but sometimes I will go to library which has glass rooms and pray inside of those. People can still see me but they really cant get close to me without "breaking and entering" which is against the law

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

I pray in public rather than delay my prayers as delaying prayers is discouraged in the hadiths. Frankly I would rather shock a stranger by praying where I can find a clean place than disobeying Allah just because I am embarrassed to be stared at while submitting to Him. Some sisters at school tried to tell me I shouldn't pray in public because I am female but could not provide daleel to back them up. I think it was cultural programming they ahd received from family and not anything of an Islamic basis, but I am always open to correction.

Wasalaam

GAZIJA

Staff member
well it depends where 'outside' is because I've prayed outside and it was ok...but I really don't like it because I don't worry about people looking but it's that them looking at me just takes away my focus in prayer and it's not worth it I'd rather pray late and focused and not in the public eye with no concentration

Assalamu Alaikum,

This is exactlly how I feel too. Now at my new job, I pray in room which is on the wat to the washroom. When people get in there, they say like; sorry, my bad, etc:SMILY335: but it takes my focus away, because they say something.
so, I prefer praying where people do not bother.

wasalam

GAZIJA

Staff member
Salaam,

I pray in public rather than delay my prayers as delaying prayers is discouraged in the hadiths. Frankly I would rather shock a stranger by praying where I can find a clean place than disobeying Allah just because I am embarrassed to be stared at while submitting to Him. Some sisters at school tried to tell me I shouldn't pray in public because I am female but could not provide daleel to back them up. I think it was cultural programming they ahd received from family and not anything of an Islamic basis, but I am always open to correction.

Wasalaam

Yes sister, better pray than dont pray. If I have no choice I pray in public otherwise...

IslamicGirl24

Salam sister!

I think that you should not offer your prayers in front of men in the public areas. A muslim sister's namaz should not be infront of men. It is forbidden in Islam. A sister has to take into account her purdah as well. I am not saying that offering your prayer on time is not important. It is very important, I agree. But, you see, in a mosque muslim sisters do not offer their prayers alongside the brothers..right?? They have their own separate areas. So, you have to offer your prayers in a secluded area..maybe in a car etc
Hope it helps.
Wassalm.

ShyHijabi

Salam sister!

I think that you should not offer your prayers in front of men in the public areas. A muslim sister's namaz should not be infront of men. It is forbidden in Islam. A sister has to take into account her purdah as well. I am not saying that offering your prayer on time is not important. It is very important, I agree. But, you see, in a mosque muslim sisters do not offer their prayers alongside the brothers..right?? They have their own separate areas. So, you have to offer your prayers in a secluded area..maybe in a car etc
Hope it helps.
Wassalm.

Salaam,

Please provide daleel.

Wasalaam

ShyHijabi

Palestine, you wrote:

There is actually a story in the Christian bible about this. Jesus was criticizing people who prayed very loudly in public. He said that their real goal was not to pray to God, but rather, to 'show off' as you put it, by impressing all the other people around them with how holy they supposedly were. He went on to say that God would not listen to their prayers, because they had already gotten what they truly wanted, which was to show off to other people.

Anyway, I think that is very true, prayer is best done either in private, or in something like a church service or ceremony, where everyone else is praying as well.

Bolding mine, our day prayers are actually silent. And Muslims are not bound by a building to pray our prayers, the entire planet is our area of prayer. Unlike Christians we are actually required to pray at specific times a day and to pray at least 5 times, it is obligatory. This is a religion of ease and therefore we pray whereever we can as opposed to being bound by church ceremony. Can you imagine the difficulty if we needed to find a private place or a church five times a day? Allah is all merciful and has made it possible for us to pray in almost any location.

While we are not loud and pirdeful while praying we also are not ashamed and I do not see a need to hide in a private place to submit to God. No one knows what I am praying after my salat so that is private enough for me.

IslamicGirl24

Salam sister ShyHijabi!

Like i said before, a muslim woman should take care of her purdah in every matter, whether it be in offering prayers or any other matter. Prophet Muhammad (SAW) advised women to offer their prayers in their homes rather than in the mosques due to the Purdah. Muslim women are not allowed to offer their prayers along side men in a mosque then how can one say that it can be performed in a public area, where a LOT of men stare at you??

It is not about intention it's about your purdah, thats all.
Wassalm

ShyHijabi

Salam sister ShyHijabi!

Like i said before, a muslim woman should take care of her purdah in every matter, whether it be in offering prayers or any other matter. Prophet Muhammad (SAW) advised women to offer their prayers in their homes rather than in the mosques due to the Purdah. Muslim women are not allowed to offer their prayers along side men in a mosque then how can one say that it can be performed in a public area, where a LOT of men stare at you??

It is not about intention it's about your purdah, thats all.
Wassalm

Salaam,

You still have not provided daleel. Women pray behind men as they (men) are leading as well as we bend at the waist and don't wish to do that in front of a man's face. But women prayed behind men outdoors as well as in the mosque, the first time Rasool was seen leading a prayer it was with Ali at his side and Kadijah behind him. It was the first jummah and his wife was visible.

Women are permitted to pray in public and I have not seen anything to indicate otherwise. There is no mosque here and when I am at work I simply find a corner where I can keep my back to a wall. This is a religion of ease and we are obligated to pray five times a day, female or male. Purdah does not mean a woman is to stay locked in a house all day and never go out as the Asian and Middle Eastern cultures have made it. Purdah can mean dressing in proper hijab and carrying yourself with adaab. Rasool said it is better for a woman to pray at home but did not forbid her from praying in public. If I see proper daleel indicating that women cannot pray in public then I stand corrected, but as it stands I only hear people's opinions and assumptions but not a fatwa or daleel.

Wasalaam

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
:salam2:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with praying outside!
I used to feel a bit awkward praying outside but then after keeping up 5 times salah now I feel super guilty if I miss one. What will be my excuse in front of Allah for missing Salah?
"People might make fun of me or say bad things about me"? Doesn't that sound so pathetic. :D
So really, there is no excuse not to pray when it's time for Salah.

I usually go to the library at school and pray between a deserted aisle.

Sister IslamicGirl, the example sister Sarah gave you occurred in the presence of men, and some of the men being complete strangers.

:wasalam: