Princess Hijab - The Controversial French Graffiti Artist. Your thoughts and comment

capetonian

A young Paris-based guerilla street artist who calls herself Princess Hijab (PH) has been "hijabizing" advertisements, spray-painting veils and chadors onto the lightly dressed models. MENASSAT had a chat with the mysterious artist who says she is fighting Jihad through art. By ALEXANDRA SANDELS

In this global idea, Princess Hijab means she pursues what she calls her "noble cause," or her "anti-advertising movement" in an attempt to fight today's mainstream and sexist consumerism. Princess Hijab's guerrilla street art has so far been featured at several art exhibitions, including one in Norway recently.

BEIRUT/PARIS, January 23, 2009 (MENASSAT) — "Princess Hijab knows that L’Oréal and Dark & Lovely have been killing her little by little. With her spray paint and black marker pen, she is out to hijabize advertising. Even Kate Moss is targeted. By day, she wears a white veil, symbol of purity. By night, her black veil is the expression of her vengeful fight for a cause," states Princess Hijab (princesshijab.org) in her manifesto.

What is that cause? In a nutshell, it is to subvert consumer images—especially of women—and to push cultural boundaries.

And few are spared the Princess' black marker and spray paint in her artistic Jihad.

In the online gallery of her "hijabizing" of ad campaigns, lightly clad models in ads for Virgin Music and various clothing companies have been re-dressed by the Princess in veils and chadors (body-length veil), their eyes popping out of face-covering hijabs.

They are striking as much as they are irreverent, and they have caused anger in both Muslim and secular circles.

Cinderella in chador and hijab men

Even Cinderella dancing with her prince in an animated advertisement for the popular fairytale turned film has had her dress changed to a black chador/abaya.

Next to the "hijabized" Cinderella is an ad of a man with a black medieval-style helmet painted over his head, only his bright blue eyes sticking out of the artistic arrangement.

Princess Hijab told MENASSAT that her hijab campaigns are not plastered on the streets of Paris as an act of "art for art's sake," but instead represent a part of what she calls "art propositions for a more global idea."

In this global idea, Princess Hijab means she pursues what she calls her "noble cause," or her "anti-advertising movement" in an attempt to fight today's mainstream and sexist consumerism.

But what she calls her "subverting visuals" are done in a manner that puts it in opposition to a Western-style advertising format, with its images of scantily clad women and underweight men and women used to sell anything from deodorant to coffee.

Speaking in the third person, Princess Hijab said, "When she [Princess Hijab] was a teen, she heard about movements such as Adbuster. But since September 11, things have changed. She does not subvert images in an American way."

When MENASSAT asked the anonymous artist about her inspiration, she quoted a number of affiliations and movements.

"…the Woman. No logo from Naomi Klein, The anti-advertising movement… the gender movements… the straight edge, the nerd-centrism, atheism symbolism, urban legends, the allegories and the new myths..." she said.

While Princess H battles mass consumerism and sexist ads, some of her targets have been left with quite a feminine touch.

Take the paper dolls pieces that are makeshift mannequins dressed in veils, short abayas, often with high heels and often carrying mobile phones—modern women in any context occidental or eastern.

Interesting is also Princess Hijab's ad (left) that features three smiling veiled women on a blue, red, and white background, representing the colors of the French flag—clearly a reference to the country’s heated headscarf controversy over the past years.

Princess Hijab maintains that she is not involved in any religious or political movement or working for any lobbying group.

The 21-year old, who says she is an "unseen character" roaming the streets, alternatively describes herself as an "insomniac punk" and a leader of an "artistic fight."

Who is Princess Hijab?

"I created PH to be connected. I wanted to mix elements from different extractions and cultures, starting from my initial subject: the veiled woman. I believe it's the reason why PH had such an impact. She never let herself be defined by religion nor gender. It was really crucial for me,: she said.

And like other culture jammers like Banksy in the UK, Princess Hijab has chosen to remain anonymous. "I like secrets and it corresponds to something quite intimate to me," she said.

Asked whether she might reveal her identity in the future, she answered, "It's not impossible."

Not surprisingly, Princes Hijab's decision to remain anonymous has caused discussion and debate among bloggers and in online forums.

"Is she a Muslim or not? Or is Princess Hijab perhaps even a man?" are some of the questions being asked.

At one point, there was even talk about whether the Princess' first black and white hijab ad, which depicts a veiled woman with "Hijab Ad" written below it, was indeed a self-portrait of the artist.

Princess Hijab's guerrilla street art has so far been featured at several art exhibitions, including one in Norway recently.

But the young artist stresses that it took a while for people to accept her alternative art, saying her hijab ads and projects were perceived quite negatively at first.

"At the beginning, the reactions were rather negative, but with the visibility increasing, it touched some people who could understand and be interested by my practice," she said.

And it's after all the unconventional audience—art lovers and bloggers alike—that Princess Hijab is trying to reach.

"There are always people who see through the first degree of consumerism. These are the kind of people I try to reach," she said.

To view some of her work go to http://www.princesshijab.org/hijabizing.html

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
MENASSAT had a chat with the mysterious artist who says she is fighting Jihad through art.

As-salaamu `alaykum.

Jihaad? Spraying a half-jilbaab and niqaab over a scantily clad woman, leaving her bottom half exposed, and then posting it on your site for public viewing is fitnah, not jihaad. She is better off using that ink to seek knowledge of the deen, not doodling in public... But Allaah knows best, perhaps she didn't say that, and the press are doing what they're best at; talking nonsense.

While I agree with her hate and despise of adverts of this nature, what she is doing is not tacking the problem. Resolving the problem would be to remove the images, which legally we can't do, so we can only hate them in our heart, and speak out against them in appropriate situations. And if she is persistent on removing the images, then she's better off moving herself away from them, to the middle of the desert where she'll find the tranquility that we all need!

I don't see the point in her work. I much rather see her ads then the originals (with the exception of some, since they're no better than the originals), but this is not how you go about doing things.

Allaah knows best.

Muslim 4 Life

Art or Jihad?

:salam2:
I don't understand which she is seeking to do.....Art or Jihad?
Though i do agree with you that she isn't making right by what she is doing as it isn't much better. So should just be left alone, but as that is hard because of the hatred of the ads is not going to be easy.
Jazakallah for posting:)

IbnAhmad

As-salaamu `alaykum.

Jihaad? Spraying a half-jilbaab and niqaab over a scantily clad woman, leaving her bottom half exposed, and then posting it on your site for public viewing is fitnah, not jihaad. She is better off using that ink to seek knowledge of the deen, not doodling in public... But Allaah knows best, perhaps she didn't say that, and the press are doing what they're best at; talking nonsense.

While I agree with her hate and despise of adverts of this nature, what she is doing is not tacking the problem. Resolving the problem would be to remove the images, which legally we can't do, so we can only hate them in our heart, and speak out against them in appropriate situations. And if she is persistent on removing the images, then she's better off moving herself away from them, to the middle of the desert where she'll find the tranquility that we all need!

I don't see the point in her work. I much rather see her ads then the originals (with the exception of some, since they're no better than the originals), but this is not how you go about doing things.

Allaah knows best.

salaam

i completely with you brother...if this is the case then she is better off using that ink to seek knowledge of the deen, not doodling in public like you said...

keep smiling everyone :) :)

wassalam

runayrus

Yearning Slave
:wasalam:

I feel it is too much of an aggressive approach if her intention is jihad. I don't think many will feel and look at it as something "enlightening" or seeing the fard in hijaab.

Ashima33

Salaam Alaikum,

I can see why at first glance this person's work can bring up a lot of confusion and questioning. But I do think there are some interesting aspects to it. Some do not like that she uses the term Jihad along with her art. But I think that in combining western advertisements with islamic dress codes it can show the jihad or "struggle" women go through in how to present their bodies. I know being a teenager long before I converted... I dealt with issues of flipping through so many teen magazine with ads with girls half dressed and scary thin, and wishing I looked just like them!

Of course, now I realize this was ridiculous... but I don't think it's fair to disregard so quickly what this person is trying to convey.

I also think it is interesting how the artist makes a point to remain anonymous. They may do this to direct the focus on the art instead of the artist, but It could be argued that this brings more attention to the artist than it should... but I can see this being a parallel to women wearing hijab in non muslim countries. Hijab is something that is supposed to keep attention and focus away from the physical aspects of a women and preserve what is sacred, but in non muslim countries it can actually draw more attention.

So, I feel it is important to realize that art isn't always something to look at or sit there and be pretty... but what can be the beauty in art is that it makes us think and discover a different mode of communication from viewer to viewer.

Wasalaam.

wannabe_muttaqi

A MUSLIM BROTHER
Assalmu Alaikum

seems to me like a person. I wonder how do they know if this person is a he or she??? coz there are lot of male perverts who do these kind of things.

i think as the sister said we should just move on and not give it much of importance.

Ashima33

I think you guys are disregarding this artist too quickly. This artist is an activist for principles that are found in Islam. Not saying the artist is promoting Islam, but the principle of how women should not be "objects."
And, we should be thankful for this exposure of hijab as a way for non-muslims to gain understanding of its purpose. I took a women and art class when I was in college and we talked endlessly about how women are objects in art. In the contemporary art scene this artist is being very straightforward about this situation and also showing how hijab serves as a form of protection.
Whether the artist is a male, female, muslim, or non muslim... I think we should look at the statement trying to be conveyed here.

BigAk

I think you guys are disregarding this artist too quickly. This artist is an activist for principles that are found in Islam. Not saying the artist is promoting Islam, but the principle of how women should not be "objects."
And, we should be thankful for this exposure of hijab as a way for non-muslims to gain understanding of its purpose. I took a women and art class when I was in college and we talked endlessly about how women are objects in art. In the contemporary art scene this artist is being very straightforward about this situation and also showing how hijab serves as a form of protection.
Whether the artist is a male, female, muslim, or non muslim... I think we should look at the statement trying to be conveyed here.

Good point...

Summer03

3doTs2sQuares

The statement being conveyed is clear ok... But as a muslim or what not... You have to respect others property and call to Islam in the likes of our prophet pbuh...show the true hijab by talking to people giving out fliers or something other than distroying a property that will clearly piss off it's owner and disregard the message of which is being conveyed. I applaud the courage to be an activist against what's wrong but at the same time it should be done in an orderly fashion

Salamu alaikum