Question about 4 wives in Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
Question about 4 wives in Islam (a sister's opinion wud be greatly appreciated)

:salam2:

I knwo this question gets tossed alot at muslims but i just want to ask 2 things
Where does in Bible it says a man can have more than 1 wife?
also, in Islam it says a man can have 4 wives if he is fair, what is being fair mean?
I have heard in order to marry the 2nd wife the husband needs to get permission from the 1st wife is that true? and part of being fair?
thank you

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o alikum
thank you Ali12 for this detailed answer

Could you or other people also expand on my 2nd question about polygamy in Islam?

muthmainnah

QUESTION

If a man wants to take a second wife, is it permissible for him to not mention the fact that he is already married? And if he does not tell the second wife about the existing first marriage, is his marriage to the second woman valid?

ANSWER by Shaykh Muhammad 'Umar Baazmool, instructor at Umm Al-Quraa University in Makkah

It is not a required condition to marry a second wife that one must inform her of an existing marriage. However, from good manners of living together, and from the ettiquettes of cooperation upon good things, is that she should be informed. I am not saying that a man must seek permission from his wife (to marry a second wife), but she should be informed.

And the man must fear Allaah, the Glorified and Exalted, regarding his first wife and he must act justly between them. The Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) mentioned a man who will come on the Day of Judgement and one side of his face will be dropped to the ground, a result of his lack of fairnes between his wives. [1]

So we advise this man to fear Allaah, the Glorified and Exalted, regarding his first wife, and to be sure that he acts justly between them.

His marriage to the second wife is valid, even if he did not inform the first wife, or let the second wife know. But from kind interaction and mutual cooperation upon good affairs, he should make her aware, and Allaah knows best.

SOURCE

This was translated exclusively for www.bakkah.net from a cassette recording with the knowledge and permission of the shaykh, file no. AAMB016, dated 1423/6/25.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
This is an issue that our muslimma may not like discuss. I try my best to help you brother and try not to hurt anyone feelings.

Let me start with following verses from the Qur'an. (Note: I'm not expert and so I suggest brothers and sisters pls refer tafsir books or an expert for below verses from the Qur'an)

An-Nisaa (4:3)

If ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans, marry women of your choice, two, or three, or four; but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one, or (a captive) that your right hands possess. That will be more suitable, to prevent you from doing injustice.

Further down from the same surah, An-Nisaa (4:129)

Ye are never able to be fair and just as between women (wives), even if it is your ardent desire: but turn not away (from a woman) altogether, so as to leave her (as it were) hanging (in the air). If ye come to a friendly understanding, and practise self-restraint, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Does this indicates that Allah ask men not to marry more than one? I think it is a warning from Allah so men be careful because you are answerable for any injustices to your wives. Allah knows best about his creatures (men) so men better take precaution before you plunge to another marriage (pls refer an expert for clearer tafsir if you need to).

Now let's see An-Nisaa (4:20):

But if ye decide to take one wife in place of another, even if ye had given the latter a whole treasure for dower, take not the least bit of it back; would ye take it by slander and a manifest wrong?

Allah mentioned about taking another wife but no mentioned man needs to seek permission from the first wife (Again: pls refer an expert for clearer tafsir). I believe that there is no requirement for man to either inform and seek permission from his existing wife / wives if he desires to take another one. I'm not aware of any hadith pertaining to this also.

Having said that, from the ayah above emphasize given for man to ensure they be fair and justly to his wife/wives. If the husband does not tell the wife about his desires for another marriage, the wife or wives may feel injustice or not fair for not being informed. If this is considered as "injustice and/or unfair", then I think it is better for the husband to inform his wife/wives. In most cases, the husband dare not to inform, not they do not want to inform because they know his wife/wives reaction to it. It will be very bad and ugly scene if wife/wives came to know thru some 3rd parties. I've seen few ugly incidents like this, in fact in one case I was the middleman. Alhamdulillah, both are still together after the husband realized his part of the mistake.

From the moral point of view, I think husband has the responsibility to inform his wife/wives of his new marriage though he may not need to get permission. But in my country, men must seek permission from the religious authority before going for Poligamy. Otherwise, a penalty waiting for them or they may end up in jail for disobeying the law. Of course, in this case the wife will know in advance when the man goes to the religious authority. The reason is not to stop but rather a vetting process and to educate men so they do not abuse something what is allowed in Islam. We also must go through compulsory pre-marrital course (regardless first or second marriage). Here another forum for men especially to learn what marriage is.

Allahu'aalam, Allah knows the best. I'm sorry if I misguided you brothers and sisters, pls correct me immediately if there is any.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o alikum
thank you for the great answers
I feel like the Justice is emphasized and the law is really strict ... but if we are suppose to do justice between 2 wives we need to let the 1st one know and ask her permission cuz if she is not happy or she is being hurt by it then Justice is not done and we will be held responsible im not sure please correct me if im wrong
I know there is no mention of asking permission from 1st wife but injustice is mentioned and justice cant be done unless 1st wife agrees cuz its not fair for her to put her faith into her husband and the guy goes and marry another girl
Please correct me if im wrong
thank you

nounlu

Dear brothers and sisters,
I am no expert on extensive study of this subject but I would like to share my opinion. Polygamy made a lot of sense at times where men was vastly outnumbered by women and there was no modern government departments(such as police) to protect single women, therefore men had multiple wives, protected and supported them. I believe this is a great sacrifice made by both women and men. Man took on the burden of treating all wives equally and work as much extra as necessary to support all wives. Women accepted to share their man with other women. How hard must that be? I couldn't image to share my wife(If I had one) with other men.
I hope all muslim men out there also sees this as a sacrifice but not a ticket to have multiple sex partners, a gift given to men. That would be such a terrible intention. I believe noble Qur'an also states that couples could meet on agreements before marriage. If this is a concern of the parties, it should be discussed beforehand. If you live in a village in a 3rd world country where there is no functioning government, many single women with no one to take care of them and a wive who is ok with this, go ahead but I don't see any reason why someone should practice it today in an established country like many muslim countries and western countries. On a note, I could think of 10 single men in my mosque in ages 25-30 including me, can't wait to get married. I think there are plenty of single men out there.
I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings. Peace and blessings

Thanks

palestine

Servant of Allah
Being fair to the wives in Islam means, giving them EXACT rights. Meaning the husband has to spend time with each wife, but no more so than the other wives. for ex: if a man spends time with one of th wives and stays at her home for let's say 3 days, then he has to stay at all the other wives houses for exactly 3 days as well. or whatever the wives agree upon depending on the situation. it also means giving them same provisions, like equal amount of money. if he buys one wife a gift, he must also buy the others gifts. and so on. InshaAllahu ta'ala hope this helped. asalamu alaykum wrwb.

q8penpals

Assalam aliekum

Permission is one issue; notification is another. Whether a man needs his current wife's PERMISSION to take another wife is completely different from whether he should INFORM his wife he took another.

The previous poster put about the equality of time with both wives...if the husband doesn't tell his first wife that he has taken another, what is he telling her when he is staying away from home for a number of days at a time? If he is lying to his first wife, then he has those sins to account for as well.

And if a woman asked a man if he was already married and he said NO, and she married him and found out later he already had a first - the whole basis for their marriage was based on a lie.

Permission or not, my belief is it is only ethical for a man to at least inform his wife. I have read several stories in the local paper here in Kuwait of fights between women in the government office that deals with inheritance - each one shows up to collect her inheritance when the husband dies, and that is the first time they know he has more than one wife - and the women battle it out! Imaging too, if your kids from each wife just happen to meet somewhere and give their names and find out they have the same father! What a shock to meet your siblings and not even know they exist and that your father has been deceitful to you!

Honesty honesty honesty....that is what it comes down to.

These are my humble opinions and statements....

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
Assalam aliekum

Permission is one issue; notification is another. Whether a man needs his current wife's PERMISSION to take another wife is completely different from whether he should INFORM his wife he took another.

The previous poster put about the equality of time with both wives...if the husband doesn't tell his first wife that he has taken another, what is he telling her when he is staying away from home for a number of days at a time? If he is lying to his first wife, then he has those sins to account for as well.

And if a woman asked a man if he was already married and he said NO, and she married him and found out later he already had a first - the whole basis for their marriage was based on a lie.

Permission or not, my belief is it is only ethical for a man to at least inform his wife. I have read several stories in the local paper here in Kuwait of fights between women in the government office that deals with inheritance - each one shows up to collect her inheritance when the husband dies, and that is the first time they know he has more than one wife - and the women battle it out! Imaging too, if your kids from each wife just happen to meet somewhere and give their names and find out they have the same father! What a shock to meet your siblings and not even know they exist and that your father has been deceitful to you!

Honesty honesty honesty....that is what it comes down to.

These are my humble opinions and statements....

thank you sister i agree with you and i still believe informing is important but i feel like permission is important too cuz wat if the 2nd marriage breaks the 1st then how is the man being equal or fair to both
and wat if the 2nd marriage really hurts the 1st wife ... the man will be held responsible for the pain he gave his wife on the day of judgement
what i think and i still believe this topic can be in lot more detail
thx

q8penpals

Assalam aliekum

I never said not to take another wife, I was only talking about the courtesy of informing your wife (or second wife-to-be) that they will be a part of a multiple-wife marriage.

If a woman is approached by a man to be married (or her family, or whatever) and in the course of possible marriage discussions, it is asked if he is already married and he says "NO" and then later they find out he lied - THAT's a problem.

And also, like I said, if a man is trying to be equal to more than one wife, if he doesn't tell his wife that he married another, what is he telling wife #1 when he is spending nights with wife #2? Is he lying and saying he is out of town at work, or what?! If he doesn't tell wife #1 about wife #2 (or wife #2 about wife#1) - what's his story to them about all the time he spends away, or where his income is being spent?!? If he has kids from both wives and one is a secret, does he lie to everyone who casually asks, "So, how many kids do you have?" and only tell of the ones that he has with the wife the person knows of?

I mean, I know exactly how much my husband makes each month; I have access to all our bank accounts - if all of a sudden there was a drastic change (as in, possible paying rent to another home or other expenses that are incurred during a marriage), you can BET that I would be asking my husband what is going on.

I don't know, but ANY MARRIAGE that is full of lies and deceit, cannot be healthy or a good marriage.

So, my post was about INFORMING, not about ALLOWING or asking PERMISSION. If a man informs his 1st wife that he is taking (or has taken) another wife, she can make the decision whether she wants to share her husband or not (and get divorced). If a man informs a woman who is is interested in marrying that he already has a wife, she can decide whether SHE wants to share a husband. Not informing them is deceit...it is that simple.

I hope you read it that way....that was my intention.

daywalker

This is a lie, because Sulaiman 'alaihi Salaam had 100 wifes, said in Bukhari. The Jew liars add another 0, and made it less real.
assalamualaikum sheikh ,
Its in bible, so you cant say to others what is wrong or what is corect by bringing evidence from Hadith to others. =)

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o alikum
ok so the issue still remains is it necessary to ask 1st wife permission? cuz it feels like it wud be needed for a healthy relationship with the 1st wife
thx

nounlu

I am disappointed because I replied to this post yesterday and it is still not approved. I believe Quran mentions enough about this subject to let us know that polygamy shouldn't be practiced.

Here's what I found about this subject

Polygamy :

"If you deem it best for the orphans, you may marry their mothers you may marry two, three, or four. If you fear lest you become unfair, then you shall be content with only one, or with what you already have. Additionally, you are thus more likely to avoid financial hardship. " (Quran 4:3)

"You can never be equitable in dealing with more than one wife, no matter how hard you try. Therefore, do not be so biased as to leave one of them hanging (neither enjoying marriage, nor left to marry someone else). If you correct this situation and maintain righteousness, GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful." (Quran 4:129).

The Quran also says that you should be content with only one wife or what you already have (for those who are already married to more than one). This way you are more likely to avoid inequity. However, God says that one can never be equitable in dealing with more than one wife, no matter how hard one tries. Since being equitable is such an important commandment in the Quran, monogamy is greatly encouraged. However, if a man wants to take on this challenge, that is between him and his Creator, (Quran 4:129).

These excerpts indicate conduct with spouse in marriage .

... By the time the Quran was revealed, the world had been sufficiently populated, and the Quran put down the first limitations against polygamy.

Our perfect example here is the prophet Muhammad. He was married to one wife, Khadijah, until she died. He had all his children, except one, from Khadijah. Thus, she and her children enjoyed the Prophet's full attention for as long as she was married to him; twenty-five years. For all practical purposes, Muhammad had one wife - from the age of 25 to 50. ....

This perfect example tells us that a man must give his full attention and loyalty in marriage to his wife and children in order to raise a happy and wholesome family.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o alikum
brother and sister i made a new threat about it but i wud like to ask here as well where are people getting the reference that in exodus 21 in bible it says man can have as many wives as he want cuz i cudn't find that verse there

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu Allaicomu dear brother.

Brother I am not sure am I wrong,I think you have already asked this question and many of brothers and sisters replyed you.

First of all brother we are not folowers of Bible,we are folowers of Allah Holy Words(Holy Quran),and Sunnah of our holy Prophet Mohammed s.a.w.s. SubhanAllah.
In the Holy Quran Allah subhan we teala sais:You can get marryed with those womens that are alowed for you,with two,with three,and with four,and if you are afraid that you will not be justice towerds them than only with one"(Surah An Nissa).This ayah is clear Allhamdulilalh and Allahs limits noone can breake Inshallah.
If we look better and if we use are wisdom and if we are thinking about our Holy religion Isalm it sais that Muslims must be modest so it means that for thier modesty and only servinfg to Allah it is enough that they marry with only one women,becasue their only role in this life is serving to Allah Almighty and marrying with more womens it would not be modesty.
If Allah alowed to man to get marryed with more than one women,it means the most four,it is becasue of that Muslim man can help to some sister Muslim sister if he has good financial state and not becasue of his personal interests.

We should always reamin modesty as much as we can.
The best example is our beloved Prophet Mohammed s.a.w.s.(peace be upon him) and his holy,modest,and blessed life.
In his early ages,when he was only 25 years old he can marryed with Khadiya8peace be upon her) whcih was 40 years and she was not so much beatiful.But still our Prophet mOhammed s.a.w.s decided for her,of his all piety and modesty SubahnAllah.

With all other wives Prophet Mohammed s.a.w.s did not get marryed becasue of his personal wishes and interest (Neuzubillah),but becasue he get order from Allah to do that and on taht way to spread Islam.

Our Prophet Mohammed s.a.w.s was the most modest persone and the best of all mainkinds SubahnAllah and he should be example for all Muslims Inshallah.

Can you give us brother the links of web sites where it writes "a man can marry an infinite amount of women without any limits to how many he can marry".

These are not Islamic websites brother,and you should stay away from the Inshallah.

May Allah bless you.

Salam.

abu'muhammad

also, in Islam it says a man can have 4 wives if he is fair, what is being fair mean?
I have heard in order to marry the 2nd wife the husband needs to get permission from the 1st wife is that true? and part of being fair?
thank you

:salam2:, brother Shaheer

kuch alfaaz maine angrezee se urdu main italic kiye hai. wajeh hai ki khula room hai. hope you understand.

Islam requires the man who has more than one wife to treat his wives equally and fairly.

What is meant by that is fairness with regard to spending the night, accommodation, spending and clothing.
What is meant by fairness in spending the night is that he should divide his time equally among his wives, so if he spends one or two nights with the first, he must spend the same amount of time with each of his wives.

Al-Shaafa’i said:

The Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah and the view of most of the Muslim scholars indicate that the man must divide his time, night and day, among his wives, and must divide it equally, and that he is not allowed to be unfair in that.
Al-Umm, 5/110

What is meant by fairness in accommodation is that each of them should have her own accommodation where he comes to her, and their accommodation should not vary with the intention of favouring one over the other.

Ibn Qudaamah said:
The man does not have the right to make his two wives live together in one house without their consent, whether they are young or old, because that causes them harm due to the enmity and jealousy that exists between them, so making them live together provokes arguments and fighting, and each of them can hear sounds when he is intimate with the other, or she can see that. But if they agree to that then it is permissible, because they have that right but they are also allowed to forego it.

Al-Mughni, 7/229.

Al-Kaasaani said:

If the husband wants her (his wife) to live with her co-wife or her in-laws, such as his mother, sister or daughter from another wife, or with his relatives, and she refuses, then he must accommodate her in a separate house, because they may annoy her or harm her if she lives with them. Her refusal is an indication of that annoyance and harm. Also he needs to be able to have sohbat with her and be intimate with her at any time that suits him, and that is not possible if a third person is present.

Badaa’i al-Sanaa’i’, 4/23.

What is meant by fairness in spending and clothing is that he should spend on them as much as he can afford.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

With regard to fairness in spending and clothing, this is also Sunnah, following the example of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), He used to spend equally on his wives, and also used to divide his time equally among them.
Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 32/269.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to treat them equally as regards staying the night, spending time with them and spending on them.

Zaad al-Ma’aad, 1/151

With regard to other things, it does not matter if he does not treat them equally, such as giving a gift to one of them, or being more inclined towards one of them in his heart, or giving her more clothing than he is obliged to, or having intercourse with one of them more than another, without intending to harm the other. But if he treats them all equally that is better.

Ibn Qudaamah said:

He does not have to treat his wives equally in spending and clothing if he does what he is required for each of them.
Ahmad said – concerning a man who had two wives – he has the right to give one more than the other with regard to spending, desire and clothing, if the other has enough, and he may buy a finer garment for her, so long as the other has enough.
This is because it is too difficult to treat them equally with regard to all these matters, and if it were made obligatory he would not be able to do it, except with great difficulty. This is why it is not obligatory, such as treating them equally with regard to sohbat.

Al-Mughni, 7/232.

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said:

If he gives each of them her rights with regard to clothing, spending and spending time with them, then it does not matter if his heart is inclined more towards one or if he gives one a gift…

Fath al-Baari, 9/391.

Al-Nawawi said:

Our companions said: If he treats them equally (in the matters where that is required), he does not have to treat them equally with regard to sohbat, rather he should stay overnight with all of them but he does not have to have sohbat with each of them. He may have sohbat with some of them when it is their turn for him to stay with them and not others. But it is mustahabb for him not to neglect intimacy with some of them and to treat them all equally in this matter.

Sharh Muslim, 10/46.

Ibn Qudaamah said:

We do not know of any dispute among the scholars regarding the fact that it is not obligatory to treat one's wives equally as regards intercourse, which is the view of Maalik and al-Shaafa’i, because sohbathas to do with chaahat and inclination, and there is no way to treat them equally in this regard. A man's heart may incline more to one of them than the other.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“You will never be able to do perfect justice between wives even if it is your ardent desire”
[al-Nisa’ 4:129]

‘Ubaydah al-Salmaani said concerning pyaar aur sohbat

If you are able to treat them equally with regard to sohbat, that is better, because it is more fair and just… But it is not obligatory to treat them equally with regard to intimacy that is less than sohbat, choomna, choona, etc, because if it is not essential to treat them equally with regard to sohbat, then that applies even more to the things that lead to it.

Al-Mughni, 7/234, 235.

With regard to the husband going out when it is one wife’s turn, if that is because of some need and he does not intend to hurt her and he is not going out to the other wife, there is nothing wrong with that in sha Allaah. The basis of equal sharing of time is staying the night: he has to spend most of the night with the wife whose turn it is. Allaah has not created any hardship in religion, and it does not prevent the husband from going out or going shopping or attending classes during the time of one of his wives, if he does not intend to hurt her by going out, and he does not spend most of the night outside the house of the wife whose turn it is.

Allah subhanahu wa-ta’ala who is al-Hakim (All Wise) al-Khabir (All Experienced) and who is more knowledgeable about the human beings He created than they themselves are about themselves, has ordained that a man is allowed to marry whom he wills among women as long as he does not bond in marriage under his care and responsibility more than four women. And this is conditioned upon him dealing justly among them the known justice specified by shari’a which includes overnight stays and spending. If he does not have the ability and capacity to deal with such justice, then he should suffice with one, as Allah indicates in Surat al-Nisaa’ in ayah 3, which has a meaning that can be translated as

marry women of your choice, two, or three, or four; but if you fear that you will not be able to deal justly (with them) then only one…” (4:3 )

And Allah’s shar’aa (Islamic law) is all just and wise, and He ordains what He wills and does what He want and it is incumbent upon as human beings to believe and have faith and submit and obey and abide by the shari’a, otherwise then we are not Muslims nor mu’mineen (believers). As Allah also said in Surat al-Nisaa’ ayah 65 a verse whose meaning can be translated as

It is not fitting for a mu’min (believing man) or mu’mina (believing woman) when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Messenger to have any option about their decision: if anyone disobeys Allah and His Apostle he is indeed strayed on a manifestly wrong path.” (33:36)

Furthermore, no evidence appears neither in the Qur’an nor sunnah requiring the permission of the first wife if her husband wishes to marry another wife, and therefore he is not required to ask her permission. However, he needs to be judicious in taking this decision and to weigh it carefully with respect to benefits and drawbacks and to look with the eye of wisdom at all of the considerations pertaining to the matter, and he should strive all he can to conciliate, reassure, and satisfy his first wife, in order to ease and mitigate the effect of the matter upon her

:wasalam:

extracted from : islamqa

nounlu

It clearly states on this verse that you should only marry if you can treat them equally.

Marry woman of your choice in twos' threes' or fours' but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly, (with them), then only one' [Al-Qur'an 4:3]

It also clearly states they it isn't possible to treat them equally.

(4:129) You will not be able to treat your wives with absolute justice not even when you keenly desire to do so. (It suffices in order to follow the Law of Allah that) you incline not wholly to one, leaving the other in suspense. If you act rightly and remain God-fearing, surely Allah is All-Forgiving, All-Compassionate

So It is safe to say that marrying more than 1 wife is against Islam

Thanks

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
:salam2:, brother Shaheer

kuch alfaaz maine angrezee se urdu main italic kiye hai. wajeh hai ki khula room hai. hope you understand.

Islam requires the man who has more than one wife to treat his wives equally and fairly.

What is meant by that is fairness with regard to spending the night, accommodation, spending and clothing.
What is meant by fairness in spending the night is that he should divide his time equally among his wives, so if he spends one or two nights with the first, he must spend the same amount of time with each of his wives.

Al-Shaafa’i said:

The Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah and the view of most of the Muslim scholars indicate that the man must divide his time, night and day, among his wives, and must divide it equally, and that he is not allowed to be unfair in that.
Al-Umm, 5/110

What is meant by fairness in accommodation is that each of them should have her own accommodation where he comes to her, and their accommodation should not vary with the intention of favouring one over the other.

Ibn Qudaamah said:
The man does not have the right to make his two wives live together in one house without their consent, whether they are young or old, because that causes them harm due to the enmity and jealousy that exists between them, so making them live together provokes arguments and fighting, and each of them can hear sounds when he is intimate with the other, or she can see that. But if they agree to that then it is permissible, because they have that right but they are also allowed to forego it.

Al-Mughni, 7/229.

Al-Kaasaani said:

If the husband wants her (his wife) to live with her co-wife or her in-laws, such as his mother, sister or daughter from another wife, or with his relatives, and she refuses, then he must accommodate her in a separate house, because they may annoy her or harm her if she lives with them. Her refusal is an indication of that annoyance and harm. Also he needs to be able to have sohbat with her and be intimate with her at any time that suits him, and that is not possible if a third person is present.

Badaa’i al-Sanaa’i’, 4/23.

What is meant by fairness in spending and clothing is that he should spend on them as much as he can afford.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

With regard to fairness in spending and clothing, this is also Sunnah, following the example of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), He used to spend equally on his wives, and also used to divide his time equally among them.
Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 32/269.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to treat them equally as regards staying the night, spending time with them and spending on them.

Zaad al-Ma’aad, 1/151

With regard to other things, it does not matter if he does not treat them equally, such as giving a gift to one of them, or being more inclined towards one of them in his heart, or giving her more clothing than he is obliged to, or having intercourse with one of them more than another, without intending to harm the other. But if he treats them all equally that is better.

Ibn Qudaamah said:

He does not have to treat his wives equally in spending and clothing if he does what he is required for each of them.
Ahmad said – concerning a man who had two wives – he has the right to give one more than the other with regard to spending, desire and clothing, if the other has enough, and he may buy a finer garment for her, so long as the other has enough.
This is because it is too difficult to treat them equally with regard to all these matters, and if it were made obligatory he would not be able to do it, except with great difficulty. This is why it is not obligatory, such as treating them equally with regard to sohbat.

Al-Mughni, 7/232.

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said:

If he gives each of them her rights with regard to clothing, spending and spending time with them, then it does not matter if his heart is inclined more towards one or if he gives one a gift…

Fath al-Baari, 9/391.

Al-Nawawi said:

Our companions said: If he treats them equally (in the matters where that is required), he does not have to treat them equally with regard to sohbat, rather he should stay overnight with all of them but he does not have to have sohbat with each of them. He may have sohbat with some of them when it is their turn for him to stay with them and not others. But it is mustahabb for him not to neglect intimacy with some of them and to treat them all equally in this matter.

Sharh Muslim, 10/46.

Ibn Qudaamah said:

We do not know of any dispute among the scholars regarding the fact that it is not obligatory to treat one's wives equally as regards intercourse, which is the view of Maalik and al-Shaafa’i, because sohbathas to do with chaahat and inclination, and there is no way to treat them equally in this regard. A man's heart may incline more to one of them than the other.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“You will never be able to do perfect justice between wives even if it is your ardent desire”
[al-Nisa’ 4:129]

‘Ubaydah al-Salmaani said concerning pyaar aur sohbat

If you are able to treat them equally with regard to sohbat, that is better, because it is more fair and just… But it is not obligatory to treat them equally with regard to intimacy that is less than sohbat, choomna, choona, etc, because if it is not essential to treat them equally with regard to sohbat, then that applies even more to the things that lead to it.

Al-Mughni, 7/234, 235.

With regard to the husband going out when it is one wife’s turn, if that is because of some need and he does not intend to hurt her and he is not going out to the other wife, there is nothing wrong with that in sha Allaah. The basis of equal sharing of time is staying the night: he has to spend most of the night with the wife whose turn it is. Allaah has not created any hardship in religion, and it does not prevent the husband from going out or going shopping or attending classes during the time of one of his wives, if he does not intend to hurt her by going out, and he does not spend most of the night outside the house of the wife whose turn it is.

Allah subhanahu wa-ta’ala who is al-Hakim (All Wise) al-Khabir (All Experienced) and who is more knowledgeable about the human beings He created than they themselves are about themselves, has ordained that a man is allowed to marry whom he wills among women as long as he does not bond in marriage under his care and responsibility more than four women. And this is conditioned upon him dealing justly among them the known justice specified by shari’a which includes overnight stays and spending. If he does not have the ability and capacity to deal with such justice, then he should suffice with one, as Allah indicates in Surat al-Nisaa’ in ayah 3, which has a meaning that can be translated as

marry women of your choice, two, or three, or four; but if you fear that you will not be able to deal justly (with them) then only one…” (4:3 )

And Allah’s shar’aa (Islamic law) is all just and wise, and He ordains what He wills and does what He want and it is incumbent upon as human beings to believe and have faith and submit and obey and abide by the shari’a, otherwise then we are not Muslims nor mu’mineen (believers). As Allah also said in Surat al-Nisaa’ ayah 65 a verse whose meaning can be translated as

It is not fitting for a mu’min (believing man) or mu’mina (believing woman) when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Messenger to have any option about their decision: if anyone disobeys Allah and His Apostle he is indeed strayed on a manifestly wrong path.” (33:36)

Furthermore, no evidence appears neither in the Qur’an nor sunnah requiring the permission of the first wife if her husband wishes to marry another wife, and therefore he is not required to ask her permission. However, he needs to be judicious in taking this decision and to weigh it carefully with respect to benefits and drawbacks and to look with the eye of wisdom at all of the considerations pertaining to the matter, and he should strive all he can to conciliate, reassure, and satisfy his first wife, in order to ease and mitigate the effect of the matter upon her

:wasalam:

extracted from : islamqa

thank you brother shukriya :)

Status
Not open for further replies.