Saudi Arabia To Lift Ban On Women Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BintMuhammad

Staff member
By Damien McElroy in Riyadh
Last Updated: 1:02am GMT 21/01/2008

Saudi Arabia is to lift its ban on women drivers in an attempt to stem a rising suffragette-style movement in the deeply conservative state.

Government officials have confirmed the landmark decision and plan to issue a decree by the end of the year.

The move is designed to forestall campaigns for greater freedom by women, which have recently included protesters driving cars through the Islamic state in defiance of a threat of detention and loss of livelihoods.

The royal family has previously balked at granting women driving permits, claiming the step did not have full public support. The driving ban dates back to the establishment of the state in 1932, although recently the government line has weakened.

"There has been a decision to move on this by the Royal Court because it is recognised that if girls have been in schools since the 1960s, they have a capability to function behind the wheel when they grow up," a government official told The Daily Telegraph. "We will make an announcement soon."

Abdulaziz bin Salamah, the deputy information minister, said the official reform programme had been dogged by debate over the issue.

"In terms of women driving, we don't have it now because of the reticence of some segments of society," he said. "For example, my mother wouldn't want my sister to drive.

"It's something she cannot grapple with. But there is change on the way. I think the fair view is that one can be against it but one does not have the right to prevent it."

If the ban on women driving is lifted, it could be years before the full impact is seen. Practical hurdles stopping women obtaining licences and insurance must be overcome.

Mohammad al-Zulfa, a reformist member of the Saudi consultative Shura Council, which scrutinises official policies in the oil-rich state, said reversing the ban was part of King Abdullah's "clever" strategy of incremental reform.

"When it was first raised, the extremists were really mad," he said. "Now they just complain. It is diminishing into a form of consent."

Saudi Arabia maintains a strict segregation of the sexes outside the family home.

An unaccompanied woman must shop behind curtains and cannot hail a taxi.

Critics believe allowing women to drive would be the first step towards a gradual erosion of the kingdom's modesty laws. A woman would have to remove the traditional abaya robe to get a clear view behind the wheel.

"Allowing women to drive will only bring sin," a letter to Al-Watan newspaper declared last year. "The evils it would bring - mixing between the genders, temptations, and tarnishing the reputation of devout Muslim women - outweigh the benefits."

Saudi women have mounted growing protests. Fouzia al-Ayouni, the country's most prominent women's rights campaigner, has risked arrest by leading convoys of women drivers. "We have broken the barrier of fear," she said. "We want the authorities to know that we're here, that we want to drive, and that many people feel the way we do."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../wsaudi121.xml

Mohamed's wife7

By Damien McElroy in Riyadh
Last Updated: 1:02am GMT 21/01/2008

Saudi Arabia is to lift its ban on women drivers in an attempt to stem a rising suffragette-style movement in the deeply conservative state.

Government officials have confirmed the landmark decision and plan to issue a decree by the end of the year.

The move is designed to forestall campaigns for greater freedom by women, which have recently included protesters driving cars through the Islamic state in defiance of a threat of detention and loss of livelihoods.

The royal family has previously balked at granting women driving permits, claiming the step did not have full public support. The driving ban dates back to the establishment of the state in 1932, although recently the government line has weakened.

"There has been a decision to move on this by the Royal Court because it is recognised that if girls have been in schools since the 1960s, they have a capability to function behind the wheel when they grow up," a government official told The Daily Telegraph. "We will make an announcement soon."

Abdulaziz bin Salamah, the deputy information minister, said the official reform programme had been dogged by debate over the issue.

"In terms of women driving, we don't have it now because of the reticence of some segments of society," he said. "For example, my mother wouldn't want my sister to drive.

"It's something she cannot grapple with. But there is change on the way. I think the fair view is that one can be against it but one does not have the right to prevent it."

If the ban on women driving is lifted, it could be years before the full impact is seen. Practical hurdles stopping women obtaining licences and insurance must be overcome.

Mohammad al-Zulfa, a reformist member of the Saudi consultative Shura Council, which scrutinises official policies in the oil-rich state, said reversing the ban was part of King Abdullah's "clever" strategy of incremental reform.

"When it was first raised, the extremists were really mad," he said. "Now they just complain. It is diminishing into a form of consent."

Saudi Arabia maintains a strict segregation of the sexes outside the family home.

An unaccompanied woman must shop behind curtains and cannot hail a taxi.

Critics believe allowing women to drive would be the first step towards a gradual erosion of the kingdom's modesty laws. A woman would have to remove the traditional abaya robe to get a clear view behind the wheel.

"Allowing women to drive will only bring sin," a letter to Al-Watan newspaper declared last year. "The evils it would bring - mixing between the genders, temptations, and tarnishing the reputation of devout Muslim women - outweigh the benefits."
Saudi women have mounted growing protests. Fouzia al-Ayouni, the country's most prominent women's rights campaigner, has risked arrest by leading convoys of women drivers. "We have broken the barrier of fear," she said. "We want the authorities to know that we're here, that we want to drive, and that many people feel the way we do."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../wsaudi121.xml

:salam2: That's why we have laws to enforce if any woman or anyone does something wrong/sinful. :hijabi: As with evil it brings, we should be strong, following the quran and sunnah. I cant imagine women being forbidden to ride camels/ horses back then.:hijabi:

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
assalamu alaykum,

women drivers *sigh*

BEEP BEEP

haha....

Are some women Bad drivers....??

Driven a car myself , whenever i see some bad driving skills , i anticipate it to be a women( sorry about that) . Guess what?? i was right in most cases....Some women drive very big cars like BMW 7 series but take such a long time to reverse parking.....*Sigh*

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
haha....

Driven a car myself , whenever i see some bad driving skills , i anticipate it to be a women( sorry about that) . Guess what?? i was right in most cases....Some women drive very big cars like BMW 7 series but take such a long time to reverse parking.....*Sigh*

:salam2:

Hmm, I dont know. I did not say that. Bad driver can be anyone. My statement was just a joke.

Amir_of_spain

The logic behind banning women drivers was to prevent/reduce fitnah. But what people fail to realise is, people do fitnah because of weaknesses and illnesses within themselves, these things needs to be tackled instead of focussing on external elements. Its like hiding the box of sweets to prevent your son from stealing, wouldnt it be better to tell him why its wrong to steal in the first place?

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
The logic behind banning women drivers was to prevent/reduce fitnah. But what people fail to realise is, people do fitnah because of weaknesses and illnesses within themselves, these things needs to be tackled instead of focussing on external elements. Its like hiding the box of sweets to prevent your son from stealing, wouldnt it be better to tell him why its wrong to steal in the first place?

As-salaamu `alaykum.

I see your point, but that doesn't always work (some kids will still want the sweets lol). People in the Kingdom know VERY WELL why women aren't permitted to drive. There's nothing wrong with women driving, but there are undeniable benefits in preventing them from doing so (in the case of Saudi Arabia), and for them it is probably a simple way of preventing some harm/fitnah. But yeah, other means should be employed to keep genders in check from doing the impermissible.

My concerns are, that I can only expect to see the road-rage death toll to rise if they allow this, as if it isn't bad already (but to tackle that requires a better system, period). And I say with certainty that some will definately take this oppertunity to do that which is haraam. But as you said akhi, it's the illnesses that are the real causes. You can prevent or reduce fitnah one way (such as the curent method emplyed), but people with these illnesses will find a way around it to fulfill their desires.

whitehijab

haha....

:SMILY308: :lol:

Doris

Subhanallah, if you think about this situation is not just letting the women drive.No, no way no how that is the surface only. The real skin behind this is the following: 1) suadi popullation is a young one they have enough young people to allow them all drive do you understand dear belivers how much money the coorparations will make by adding the women as well. GMC, BENZ, FORD, right now are very happy . How much traffic will be created and what is their experience in this? This is the real face behind this push to let women drive. 2) How many of these women do we think know the rules of ikhtilat( free-mixing) subahallah wearing hijab does not make you muhsinah(devoted lady) the nuns wear the hijab so what? hijab does not show perfection shows that you answered your obligation is and this fard upon you and not a choice is an order the same as the beard for the men. So this driving issue is just the biggining of fitnah. In essence there is no harm of women driving, but as the Prophet alayhee salam said" Innah mal'a'malu bil niyah" "Actions depened on the intention."

whitehijab

don't confused me sister and brothers, is it haram in Islam for women to hv driving license? i got my car license after finishing my school, that time i'm 17 yo. so right after that, i drive the car to everywhere i go whether alone, with my fmly or friends (of course, my girlfriends though).

:muslim_child:

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
In essence there is no harm of women driving, but as the Prophet alayhee salam said" Innah mal'a'malu bil niyah" "Actions depened on the intention."

Baarak Allaahu feeki,

That's what I was meant to say, in essence there's no harm, but it's better (for the Kingdom) that they do not (drive). Anyway, I seriously think some are going to turn this into a serious political debate, ignoring the clear benefits of this prohibition. The fact is as Muslims we should close doors to evils, not open them! And lets face it, Saudi Arabia is like "the" only land of tawheed, where it is in fact impermissible to commit shirk (maa shaa Allaah!!!), but that doesn't make it perfect. It doesn't mean everyone there has taqwa, hayaa etc.

So none of us (if we fear Allaah, love the good and hate the evil) should really be rejoicing about this, because we can fairly assume that in the current climate, it can bring much harm. Maybe if the uplifting of the ban is correctly Islamically restricted, it will actually produce some fruits (i.e. they must be with a male mahram when travelling certain distances etc).

Anyway, I think we have MORE IMPORTANT things to discuss and to learn, then to delve into Saudi affairs, which will not benefit us much...

ShyHijabi

I think this is using utter common sense in the face of a completely hypocritical system. You think it better to prohibit women from driving? I think it better to allow them to drive than have the women alone with nonmahrem taxi drivers. :astag:

We had a very informative video on TTI once about a day in the life of a Saudi woman. She wore full hijab and nikab, she worked from home for the newspaper....everything she did was an gleaming example of Saudi life. And then she called a taxi, got in the car with a nonmahrem and went to the mall. So all the clothing and lifestyle was done to prevent fitna and then we see this....nonmahrems people alone together. Nice.

The girls that attend college, if they have no brothers or a father how do they get to school? In a taxi with a nonmahrem? Wouldn't it be better to let her attain a liscense and drive herself?

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
I think this is using utter common sense in the face of a completely hypocritical system. You think it better to prohibit women from driving? I think it better to allow them to drive than have the women alone with nonmahrem taxi drivers. :astag:

We had a very informative video on TTI once about a day in the life of a Saudi woman. She wore full hijab and nikab, she worked from home for the newspaper....everything she did was an gleaming example of Saudi life. And then she called a taxi, got in the car with a nonmahrem and went to the mall. So all the clothing and lifestyle was done to prevent fitna and then we see this....nonmahrems people alone together. Nice.

The girls that attend college, if they have no brothers or a father how do they get to school? In a taxi with a nonmahrem? Wouldn't it be better to let her attain a liscense and drive herself?

Wasalaam

~Sarah

As-salaamu `alaykum.

There are problems both ways sister. What is best is that fitnah and free-mixing be removed at all levels where possible. And yes, jumping in with a non-mahram taxi driver can be a problem in of itself!? The whole situation would need a proper assessment, and we aren't the ones who even need think about doing that. Anyway that is why I said that the uplift should (and hopefully will) be restricted; confined within the limits of the shari`ah.

muharram23

Staff member
salamu alaykum

Alhamdulillah, that is why saudi arabia has its scholars. Im sure that the scholars will have a word with that. I am sure also that if there is a benefit or harm in it, they will give a fatwa on that. However, why are people so concerned about what goes on in saudi arabia. People don't want to see all the good that it has, but always pick some stuff to label as a non 100% shariah country. I love saudi arabia because of tawhid, ulema, because it is the land of resulullah sva and the land of two holiest cities in the world, mekka and madina. Allah sva is protecting this country from a lot of evil. Atleast when wars, adultery, theft, mischief etc are happening around the globe, the two cities are always protected by ALlah sva.

So, let's leave this to the scholars, they will deal with that as much as they can. Also, women who don't live in saudi dont need to complain. Also, there are alot of women in saudi arabia that really support the prohibition of driving. Only the minority of women dont like the prohibition.

Allah knows best

wasalam

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
salamu alaykum

Alhamdulillah, that is why saudi arabia has its scholars. Im sure that the scholars will have a word with that. I am sure also that if there is a benefit or harm in it, they will give a fatwa on that. However, why are people so concerned about what goes on in saudi arabia. People don't want to see all the good that it has, but always pick some stuff to label as a non 100% shariah country. I love saudi arabia because of tawhid, ulema, because it is the land of resulullah sva and the land of two holiest cities in the world, mekka and madina. Allah sva is protecting this country from a lot of evil. Atleast when wars, adultery, theft, mischief etc are happening around the globe, the two cities are always protected by ALlah sva.

So, let's leave this to the scholars, they will deal with that as much as they can. Also, women who don't live in saudi dont need to complain. Also, there are alot of women in saudi arabia that really support the prohibition of driving. Only the minority of women dont like the prohibition.

Allah knows best

wasalam

Baarak Allaahu feekum...

Anyway, the article is there for people to read. I pray that whatever happens, is for the best and like you said, the land is enriched with `Ullema, who are probably commanding the good and forbidding the evil as I type. But before this reaches a point where akh Mabsoot has to remind us all to focus upon Tawheed and that which concerns us, I don't see a single productive benefit in leaving this thead open...

Wa`alaykum salaam warahmatullaah.

Status
Not open for further replies.