Saudi women to get vote

Kakorot

Saudi women to get vote
7.26PM Sun Sep 25 2011
Saudi Arabia will allow women to stand for election and vote, the king announced on Sunday, in a major policy shift in the conservative Islamic kingdom.

In a five-minute speech, King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz al-Saud said women will also take part in the next session of the unelected, advisory Shura Council.

"Because we refuse to marginalise women in society in all roles that comply with sharia, we have decided, after deliberation with our senior ulama (clerics) and others... to involve women in the Shura Council as members, starting from the next term," he said in a speech delivered to the advisory body.

"Women will be able to run as candidates in the municipal election and will even have a right to vote."

Women's rights are regarded as a litmus test for the government's appetite for social and political reform. Saudi Arabia adheres to a strict version of Islamic law that enforces the segregation of the sexes.

By: Nina Nannar

http://www.itv.com/news/saudi-women-to-get-vote98270/

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
:salam2:

Interesting!
Masha'allah!

Thank you
for sharing
this News
sister.

:jazaak:

~May Allah swt help,protect and guide all muslim~Amin!

Take care,
~Wassalam :)

esperanza

revert of many years
Saudi women to get vote
7.26PM Sun Sep 25 2011
Saudi Arabia will allow women to stand for election and vote, the king announced on Sunday, in a major policy shift in the conservative Islamic kingdom.

In a five-minute speech, King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz al-Saud said women will also take part in the next session of the unelected, advisory Shura Council.

"Because we refuse to marginalise women in society in all roles that comply with sharia, we have decided, after deliberation with our senior ulama (clerics) and others... to involve women in the Shura Council as members, starting from the next term," he said in a speech delivered to the advisory body.

"Women will be able to run as candidates in the municipal election and will even have a right to vote."

Women's rights are regarded as a litmus test for the government's appetite for social and political reform. Saudi Arabia adheres to a strict version of Islamic law that enforces the segregation of the sexes.

By: Nina Nannar

http://www.itv.com/news/saudi-women-to-get-vote98270/

Saudi woman driver's lashing 'overturned by king'
Driving remains a banned activity for Saudi women, who will soon be allowed to vote Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Saudi woman driver to be lashed
First step for Saudi women's rights
Freed Saudi woman driver defiant
Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah has overturned a court ruling sentencing a woman to 10 lashes for breaking a ban on female drivers, reports say.

The ruling, although not officially confirmed, was tweeted by a Saudi princess and reported by AP news agency citing an unnamed official.

The woman, named as Shema, was found guilty of driving in Jeddah in July.

The sentence came two days after the king announced women would be allowed to vote for the first time in 2015.

"Thank God, the lashing of Shema is cancelled. Thanks to our beloved king," tweeted Princess Amira al-Taweel, wife of Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal.

"I am sure all Saudi women will be so happy."

Two other women are due to appear in court later this year on similar charges, reports say.

In recent months, scores of women have driven vehicles in Saudi cities to put pressure on the monarchy.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Here is a different thought.

The Suadi economy allowed many men to support their families by being able to work as drivers. What are they going to do?

And what does driving have to do with being liberated. What measure of liberation is driving?

What good deed is done by driving?

I drive out of necessity. I have to pay for insurance, I have to be responsible for maintenance of the vehicle. I have to pay the taxes etc. I do not see these as good deeds.

esperanza

revert of many years
Assalaam walaikum,

The Suadi economy allowed many men to support their families by being able to work as drivers. What are they going to do?

And what does driving have to do with being liberated. What measure of liberation is driving?

I drive out of necessity. I have to pay for insurance, I have to be responsible for maintenance of the vehicle. I have to pay the taxes etc. I do not see these as good deeds.

all drivers in the saudi econonmy are foreigners,,this means women are travlling everyday with non mahram men,,,

its ok if you are the rich one with drivers

what about poorer nationals from other countries...these women are unable to get anwhere and totally dependent on men,if their husband or father works long hours 6 days a week,where does that leave them

because you are able to drive you take it for granted,but if you have small children have to saty all day indoors no chance to go out for exercise,or if you live 5 mins from the sea, but cant reach it ,i think you would see things differently

sclavus

Assalaam walaikum,

I agree, sister.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

It seems that we do not have all the literature to discuss the voting issues. We do not know if all women will be able to vote or if only Saudi citizens. That would be a mess. That is reminiscent of the Greeks. The citizens could vote but not the slaves.

I believe women should be as active in the social arena as they wish to participate.

However, I ask this question..what does voting have to do with being liberated. I ask this seriously. This is a Muslim website.

Let us not reduce the word liberated to a mere action of casting a ballot. Liberation is far more profound.

Precious Star

Assalaam walaikum,

The word "liberation" infers freedom. Women can drive without looking for a man to accompany her. If a woman needs to go to the store to buy something, she can walk out of her house, get in her car, go to the store, and come home. If she needs to go to work to earn income, she has the transportaiton to do so. If she is lonely and would like to be with friends or family in another part of the city, then she can do so. If there is a flood in her basement and she needs to quickly find shelter, she can get in her car and drive to her relative's house or a friend's house or a hotel.

Being allowed to drive does not mean that she is then responsible to change the oil in the car. We have to change the oil in our cars, Aapa, because we are single and there are no men in our lives who will do it for us. We have to pump gas into our cars because there is no man who will do it for us. But by the same token, because there is no man around, we must have the freedom to be able to transport ourselves wherever and whenver we need and want.

Why do women have to remain shut-in like chickens in a cage, prevented from venturing into the outside world? For that is what a driving ban does. The girl who videographed herself on YouTube a few months ago, driving in Saudi - she was a single mother of a young son, and she needed to drive in order to work and in order to take him places. Why should a woman have to go to the expense and task of hiring a trusted male driver, and then paying him? Her money can be used for other things.

If the Saudi governement insisted that women not drive, then they should have been paying the costs of a driver and vehicle for all women.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I fully understand the blind eye that many Muslim majority countries have turned on single Muslim women.

My thoughts are looking at the bigger picture.

Are all women going to get the privilege of being able to drive. If only Saudi nationals where does that leave the non-Saudi and the non-Saudi poor woman.

And on a deeper level sister..liberation is a process of the mind. It is not a token. That is the message I wish to convey.

Let us look at the example of the Western woman. She got the right to vote. She got the right to drive. She has to work to survive. She is still an object of sex. Once she is used up..she is a commodity where does she end up..at the back of the line. At 35 she is ready to consider herself old.

Do we really want to follow in those footsteps. Look at the number of middle age women who turned to lesbianism. Children go to college..husband finds younger trophy wife..and the liberated woman gets lonely.

Just consider me as being cautious. I was a women's libber and realized that was a joke also. I do not wish for my Muslims sisters to go through another joke.

Precious Star

Assalaam walaikum,

I fully understand the blind eye that many Muslim majority countries have turned on single Muslim women.

Are all women going to get the privilege of being able to drive. If only Saudi nationals where does that leave the non-Saudi and the non-Saudi poor woman.

And on a deeper level sister..liberation is a process of the mind. It is not a token. That is the message I wish to convey.

Let us look at the example of the Western woman. She got the right to vote. She got the right to drive. She has to work to survive. She is still an object of sex. Once she is used up..she is a commodity where does she end up..at the back of the line. At 35 she is ready to consider herself old.

Do we really want to follow in those footsteps. Look at the number of middle age women who turned to lesbianism. Children go to college..husband finds younger trophy wife..and the liberated woman gets lonely.

Just consider me as being cautious. I was a women's libber and realized that was a joke also. I do not wish for my Muslims sisters to go through another joke.

Mmm, on this, i have a different view. Wait - no, what you say is correct, in terms of how women are viewed in the west.

However:

I have found that "age-ism", racism and sexism are alive and well amongst muslim communities. When I tell my non-muslim friends that it is impossible for me to get married now that I am past the age of 30, they are aghast. But its true. Muslim mothers in law and muslim men are desirous of pretty, fair young maidens. Those muslim girls who passed the age of 30 without a single proposal are considered old and unmarriageable, unless we marry senior citizens or men who do not have immigration status. There are many muslim men who do not wish to marry educated, professional muslim women - yet western men have no problem with that, especially if they are professional themselves.

After age 35, I received more attention from nonmuslim men than muslim men. Where is the honour and logic behind that? Now, at age 40, when I tell non-muslims that it is virtually impossible for muslim girls my age to get married, they really are shocked, as they don't think anything is "wrong" with me. Then I have to get into details.

I've heard muslim women say to my mother (when I was younger): "Precious Star isn't afraid of gaining weight, is she?". Some man on this forum in fact referred to me as a spinster once! And what the heck is a "wheatish" complexion anyway????

So Aapa, please - the things that you complain of in the West, they exist and are rampant in the muslim world, too. And they ain't going away anytime soon.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Yes, sister our brothers need to be liberated, too.

And those mothers. What can I say. These women are not liberated. They have not read the lives of the wives of the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him. He married old ones, young ones, fat ones, and beautiful ones.

I do not have any answers. This is culture. Thin and wheat. Sounds like a cracker to me.

a_stranger

Assalaam walaikum,

Let us look at the example of the Western woman. She got the right to vote.
She got the right to drive. She has to work to survive. She is still an object of
sex. Once she is used up..she is a commodity where does she end up..at the
back of the line. At 35 she is ready to consider herself old.

Do we really want to follow in those footsteps. Look at the number of middle
age women who turned to lesbianism. Children go to college..husband finds

younger trophy wife..and the liberated woman gets lonely.

Just consider me as being cautious. I was a women's libber and realized that
was a joke also. I do not wish for my Muslims sisters to go through another
joke.

gazaki Allahu kairan for your deep insight. we need as muslems to look thouroly through things........
:jumpclap::jumpclap::jumpclap::jumpclap::jumpclap::jumpclap::jumpclap::jumpclap::jumpclap:

a_stranger

Mmm, on this, i have a different view. Wait - no, what you say is correct, in terms of how women are viewed in the west.

However:

I have found that "age-ism", racism and sexism are alive and well amongst muslim communities. When I tell my non-muslim friends that it is impossible for me to get married now that I am past the age of 30, they are aghast. But its true. Muslim mothers in law and muslim men are desirous of pretty, fair young maidens. Those muslim girls who passed the age of 30 without a single proposal are considered old and unmarriageable, unless we marry senior citizens or men who do not have immigration status. There are many muslim men who do not wish to marry educated, professional muslim women - yet western men have no problem with that, especially if they are professional themselves.

After age 35, I received more attention from nonmuslim men than muslim men. Where is the honour and logic behind that? Now, at age 40, when I tell non-muslims that it is virtually impossible for muslim girls my age to get
married, they really are shocked, as they don't think anything is "wrong" with
me. Then I have to get into details.
I've heard muslim women say to my mother (when I was younger): "Precious Star isn't afraid of gaining weight, is she?". Some man on this forum in fact
referred to me as a spinster once! And what the heck is a "wheatish"
complexion anyway????

So Aapa, please - the things that you complain of in the West, they exist and
are rampant in the muslim world, too. And they ain't going away anytime soon.

Dear sister , i agree with all that you said , but this is not islamic values it is just traditions and material values that we suffer from them. Yes we have many many unislamic traditions that dominait our societies , and little of muslem men are truely perfect. That is why when you reverts come to Islam we feel a new spirit in our souls , you refresh many things that are dead in ourselves.

esperanza

revert of many years

However:

After age 35, I received more attention from nonmuslim men than muslim men. Where is the honour and logic behind that? Now, at age 40, when I tell non-muslims that it is virtually impossible for muslim girls my age to get married, they really are shocked, as they don't think anything is "wrong" with me. Then I have to get into details.

I've heard muslim women say to my mother (when I was younger): "Precious Star isn't afraid of gaining weight, is she?". Some man on this forum in fact referred to me as a spinster once! And what the heck is a "wheatish" complexion anyway????

So Aapa, please - the things that you complain of in the West, they exist and are rampant in the muslim world, too. And they ain't going away anytime soon.

dear sister,its so sad that these things are going on in the muslim world...but iknow from living long years in the arab world..that yes once your past 30 your chances of marriage definitley start going down hill. this is so sad as so many good musliom women are not getting married,,,,
but you say this is very much beause of cultural influence

strange that many westernmen would be happy to masrry an educated professional intelligent woman..so i guess many more western reverts are needed,,,

sclavus

so what reason do you have for believing women should not drive or driving is a bad thing

Driving means getting out of the house to begin with. The prophet peace be upon him said “A woman must observe the veil because when she comes out, the devil seeks an opportunity to tempt her."

Driving alone means more promiscuity, more trial, more danger. You don't need a car to go to the nearest groceries, do you?! If you do, that means you're traveling.

You're not allowed to travel without mahram. A mahram is to protect you and defend his honor. Jungle isn't fit for the fair sex.

Allah created them differently, tender as glasses(qawarir) and ordained men to protect and defend them. That's a fair deal.

Muslim women do not need any other emancipation than the Islamic emancipation. They need to rediscover and apply the Prophetic traditions, they need to imitate the wise women of the salaf. The wives of the Prophet peace be upon him and the others amongst the companions and those after him.

Emancipation through driving and voting is highly suspicious at least for this very good reason: the Western women who struggle for it are slaves in their own societies, yet they do not seek emancipation for themselves...That means a lot.

Assalaam.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We are all over the place.

I am getting old...

Marriage stuff: even in the west you have to be married before 35. The women go crazy if they don't. I watch as the girls I know panic and marry the first one they can catch. It's not Mr. Right. It is mister.

OK...I will probably be banned for this..but here it goes: I fault our brothers. Why are you not following your faith. Why not marry more than one. What is stopping you? You say you want to follow the footsteps. You are reading the issues that many good pious sisters are facing. Are you going to turn your backs on your sisters? This is not about sex. This is about social turmoil.

I have read comments about the community will not like it. ??? What community? Brothers, what about your daughters. Would you like to see them miss the joy of marriage and family.

Brothers, what do you have to say. I am waiting for a good response.

Driving and voting:

Will being able to drive bring you closer to Allah. Will be able to vote bring you closer to Allah.

( each day I drive..I know it brings me closer to death...voting..I do not even want to get started on this subject.. I am going to make salat)

sclavus

dear sister,its so sad that these things are going on in the muslim world...but iknow from living long years in the arab world..that yes once your past 30 your chances of marriage definitley start going down hill. this is so sad as so many good musliom women are not getting married,,,,
but you say this is very much beause of cultural influence

strange that many westernmen would be happy to masrry an educated professional intelligent woman..so i guess many more western reverts are needed,,,

The reason is very simple. A Muslim man is allowed only one woman in this day and age of women "emancipation". Especially in the arab world. It's a cyclopean deed in my country for example. You have countless unmarried women in the Muslim world, they all want a husband only for themselves. I know of women who told their husbands to go fornicate and not to marry a second woman.

Even if they are beyond thirty years old, no polygamy is allowed.

This problem is a creation of Muslim women, their greed and egotism made it hard for their sisters to get married.
If men were able to marry more than one, it would have been easier and better for everybody. Lots of women cannot be "only" wives because they're not young, or they might be unable to beget. They might be divorced with children...

We really need to get back to the texts, our relief is in the texts.

Assalaam.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Yes, Brother,

You speak the Truth. We are playing games with ourselves. What are we doing? We are as bad as those we ridicule.

We have lost our senses.

Has Allah not told us the necessity for marriage. The Prophet, ( The Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him ) showed us by example. He married old ones, he married young ones, he married divorced ones, he married abused ones, he married fat ones, he married thin ones, and he married young ones and he married widows and servants and slaves..Hello..anybody getting the clue?

We are told the average brother can not have the responsibility of more than four wives. Allah subhana wal tala has made the faith ease to follow. Brothers, why do you fear this sunna?

Sisters, where do I start with us. We argue about hijab. We play with the idea of niqab. We want education and liberation. We want it all. We forget our sisters.

In the greater scheme of things voting and driving are so trivial. How about dedicating some time to organizing a food/medicine drive for the local community. The Mothers of the Believers were active women. They were responsible women.

Sometimes, I think we need to reeducate ourselves to reflect on what these pious women thought and did. We would look like silly little girls,

I pray I did not offend anyone for speaking my heart.

esperanza

revert of many years
Assalaam walaikum,

Yes, Brother,

You speak the Truth. We are playing games with ourselves. What are we doing? We are as bad as those we ridicule.

We have lost our senses.

Has Allah not told us the necessity for marriage. The Prophet, ( The Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him ) showed us by example. He married old ones, he married young ones, he married divorced ones, he married abused ones, he married fat ones, he married thin ones, and he married young ones and he married widows and servants and slaves..Hello..anybody getting the clue?

We are told the average brother can not have the responsibility of more than four wives. Allah subhana wal tala has made the faith ease to follow. Brothers, why do you fear this sunna?

Sisters, where do I start with us. We argue about hijab. We play with the idea of niqab. We want education and liberation. We want it all. We forget our sisters.

In the greater scheme of things voting and driving are so trivial. How about dedicating some time to organizing a food/medicine drive for the local community. The Mothers of the Believers were active women. They were responsible women.

Sometimes, I think we need to reeducate ourselves to reflect on what these pious women thought and did. We would look like silly little girls,

I pray I did not offend anyone for speaking my heart.

interesting discussions going on here..and have to be careful..to not say something i should not...

brother about the driving,,isee your point really,,and in somewhere like saudi driving could lead to other dangers...

but as you said do you need a car to go to the grocery...yes

maybe in your country people still live in ommunities,,,wome have sisters aunts cousins supporting them,,woomen gather to help others to cook together,,maybe go to the market together..tell me do women in your country not go to the market???

but hewre women dont walk out alone..its not ok..if iwant to go shopping have to rely on a driver as my husband works 12 hours six days and half day the seventh

here women live in isoaltion espeially in the cities,,,and epppsecially if not saudis,,,but what if they need shopping or take hildren to school or go to the doctors...we have to rely on drivers or wait til late at night or just not go,,

i would gladly trade this city life iwht its dangers and materialism ,for a simple life in a village..wiht a big family ,where women still have support of family and are never alone..

i understand your sentiments about women ,but in traditional life of old genrations,yes a woman was protected ,dod not mix with strange men,never went alone,but she had a community of modern women around her,,,,thats the difference wiht modern life