'Shocking' racism in jobs market

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
'Shocking' racism in jobs market

_39294602_barber_index.jpg
TUC boss Brendan Barber called for tougher rules for private firms

A union boss is calling for tougher regulation after a BBC survey showed ethnic minority applicants still face major discrimination in the jobs market
CVs from six fictitious candidates - who were given traditionally white, black African or Muslim names - were sent to 50 firms by Radio Five Live.
White "candidates" were far more likely to be given an interview than similarly qualified black or Asian "names".
TUC boss Brendan Barber called for new laws in the face of "shocking" results.

The employers targeted by the undercover survey were selected at random from newspaper adverts and recruitment websites.
o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
Statistics as shocking as these suggest that many people recruiting for the private sector firms are harbouring inherently racist views
end_quote_rb.gif

Brendan Barber
General secretary of the TUC

Many of the firms were well known and the jobs covered a range of fields, Radio Five Live said.

All the applicants were given the same standard of qualifications and experience, but their CVs were presented differently.
Almost a quarter of applications by two candidates given traditionally "white" names - Jenny Hughes and John Andrews - resulted in interview offers.
But only 9% of the "Muslim" applications, by the fictitious Fatima Khan and Nasser Hanif, prompted a similar response.
'Treated unfairly'
Letters from the "black" candidates, Abu Olasemi and Yinka Olatunde, had a 13% success rate.
Mr Barber, general secretary of the TUC, suggested private firms should have to follow the same anti-discrimination guidelines as the public sector.
He said: "Statistics as shocking as these suggest that many people recruiting for the private sector firms are harbouring inherently racist views.
"Public sector bodies have to prove they are doing all they can to eliminate race discrimination.
o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
When people look at Muslim men they may think again about whether that person should be invited for interview
end_quote_rb.gif

Professor Muhammad Anwar
Warwick University

"Until the Race Relations (Amendment) Act is extended to the private sector, black and Asian people will continue to be treated unfairly and will be denied the opportunity to succeed at work."
Professor Muhammad Anwar, of Warwick University's centre for research in ethnic relations, said the survey was proof of a recent rise in anti-Muslim feeling.
He said: "I think there is a trend now or a shift from racial discrimination to more religious or cultural type discrimination.
"Certainly after 9/11 there has been a tremendous difference.
"When people look at Muslim men they may think again about whether that person should be invited for interview."
The radio producer who carried out the survey said he had been "surprised by the sheer extent" of religious and racial discrimination it uncovered.
A spokeswoman for the Department of Work and Pensions said: "The government in general recognises that employment discrimination continues to be a barrier to work for some ethnic minorities.
"As a department it is an issue we take seriously and we have set up the Ethnic Minority Employment Taskforce as a result and in response to the recommendations of the Prime Minister's Strategy Unit.
"It is early days but we are working to make things better."

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com
A Similar thing was done here in the US where two same resumes/CVs sent to employers. One had a Muslim name and one had a typical American christian name and 9 out of 10 times the Muslim resume was rejected and not called for interview. They can have all the anti-racism, tolerance promoting laws they want, the racism, intolerance and bigotry is inside the hearts of the people and that won't go away until they are educated and taught to shed their blind narrow minded ethnocentric views.

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

I am a white American woman. Unfortunately the work force already discriminates against me. My first Ramadan I wore hijab for the very first time in my life and I was fired from my job. Of course they made up another reason for firing me because it is "against the law" to discriminate. As this study clearly shows companies have their own ways around the law so there is really no point in enforcing stricter laws since the ones that already exist are so easily disregarded!

Isra

aka Tree2008
LOL, they said its against the law to discriminate and they fired you because you are muslim ? thats messed up.

im an English brother, and White, but i can't understand why people will fire someone for being Muslim, its ridiculous after claiming its wrong .

As salamo alaikome

I agree it is totally messed up! You see its the government that makes up the laws but not everyone is completely happy with the laws on the books apparently and the ones they dont agree with they have ways of getting around!

The company which is discriminating knows its breaking the law by discriminating so they would never come right out and tell you they are letting you go because of your religious beliefs. They find other things they can use against you in order to rid themselves of you. Problem is that it doesnt matter the reason you are let go. Either way you are no longer earning money to support your family!

It is a very sad situation when you have to choose between following your religious beliefs or feeding your family! It isnt fair and something should be done about it........but what can be done? As I said I see no point in enforcing stricter laws when the ones that already exist are not working at all. Racist people are cowards who will always find ways to sneak around and break the strictest of laws to suit their own wishes.

As our Prophet (SAW) said "This world is a prison for the believer and a paradise for the non-believer" so since that is the case and I have actually experienced it first hand I will take all the discrimination they can throw at me! I trust in Allah and I live to please him so the world can "bring it on"!!! This Muslimah is ready for anything! Alhamdulillah!!!

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com
As salamo alaikome

I am a white American woman. Unfortunately the work force already discriminates against me. My first Ramadan I wore hijab for the very first time in my life and I was fired from my job. Of course they made up another reason for firing me because it is "against the law" to discriminate. As this study clearly shows companies have their own ways around the law so there is really no point in enforcing stricter laws since the ones that already exist are so easily disregarded!

:wasalam:

It is definitely harder for the sisters because of their hijab. The white brothers have it the easiest whether its east or west. Anyways, I would go talk to cair, they can be useful sometimes in these matters.

http://www.cair.com/

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaikum,

This is so true, I have been trying to get a job on campus for the past year and half. Most of them never call me for interview and those who do....never hire after the interview:( I applied for the writing center to help proof read and give writing tips to students last semster. They required a GPA higher than 2.9, A in Freshman Composition, and a recommendation paper from your english teacher. I had it all and even beyond average. Yet, the woman did not give me the job after seeing me ( I wear Hijab and Abayah) to school. So, I think that just kept her away from giving me the job. What I hate most is though, they act so nice and kind giving you hope during the interview and then they disappoint you.

Isra

aka Tree2008

It is definitely harder for the sisters because of their hijab. The white brothers have it the easiest whether its east or west. Anyways, I would go talk to cair, they can be useful sometimes in these matters.

http://www.cair.com/

As salamo alaikome

Actually if a brother is dressed as he should Islamically with pants above ankles and beard he will find the same discrimination especially in the United States.

The USA is so Islamaphobic its not even funny! I think the American people fall into that trap brought on by the media and as in religion they follow blindly to what they are being told. Unfortunately I dont see an end to this problem as long as the media perpetuates it and keeps the hate alive.

It is probably on our shoulders as Muslims to make these people see that they have nothing to fear from us and that Muslims are not terrorists. It may be impossible to change the entire world but we can at least try......one person at a time! Inshallah

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com
i dont know, not all the brothers have it easy aswell, specially if they are from a certain background or they have a long beard too

:S

The ones with long beards and those that change their names to Muslim sounding names will obviously have a hard time here. I don't know it is in uk, you probably have issues with different background whites (irish vs dutch) but here in US, your white and that all that matters. Same with M.E. if you are white them arabs will be all over you, tripping over each other to kiss your feet.

Assalaamu alaikum,

This is so true, I have been trying to get a job on campus for the past year and half. Most of them never call me for interview and those who do....never hire after the interview:( I applied for the writing center to help proof read and give writing tips to students last semster. They required a GPA higher than 2.9, A in Freshman Composition, and a recommendation paper from your english teacher. I had it all and even beyond average. Yet, the woman did not give me the job after seeing me ( I wear Hijab and Abayah) to school. So, I think that just kept her away from giving me the job. What I hate most is though, they act so nice and kind giving you hope during the interview and then they disappoint you.

That's how are most kuffars are, they are two face hypocrites. They'll be all nice to you in your face but soon as you turn your back they'll think the worst of you. A non-Muslim black friend of mine that studied with me said the same thing after he moved from the nothern state to southern state where are more tolerant, friendly and diverse.

strive-may-i

:salam2:

Injustice, Indifference, Intolerance to minority, to the other .... is a common trait, is it not! [ ... colored, religion, language, race].. Yes i agree, thanks to the negative propaganda, image, many Muslims [revert , born] are at receiving end. But there is no need to loose hope, or turn away from the job you like. Get better at it, have hope in Almighty, he knows what works best for us.

Like adrian said
Knowledge is a treasure, but practice is the key to it.

... If one looks deeper, there are muslim brethen ,bearded, hijab'ed etc and yet achieved commendable professional heights. Often one wonders and there are valid reasons, we are ourselves partly responsible for it. We should not be menacing in our attitude towards the non-muslims, that exactly is root cause. Our presence should charm and disarm. This way of life is so charming , and its practitioners are not harming...

Sticking to just , humane path as perfected in Quran, does work in the end.Justice could be delayed, but never i repeat never denied.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself

This is why I don't tell people that I am Muslim. I try to let my actions and my deeds speak for themselves. None of my friends or family even knows that I took shahada yet.

strive-may-i

"Angry white man" to "unangry man"

This is why I don't tell people that I am Muslim. I try to let my actions and my deeds speak for themselves. None of my friends or family even knows that I took shahada yet.

Then is it not time for you to change the "Angry white Guy" to "unangry Man". I think it would do good to you, because - slowlly you want to project to the real world what you are projecting yourself as here
.......so, rephrasing would be a good step. We see you as a Human striving to be the right just path, just like rest of us!

And I wish you good, blessed speed!

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
really none of your friends know????

They don't know that I full on converted. They know I have been studying Islam and reading the Qur'an but that is it.

My parents don't even know that much.

Then is it not time for you to change the "Angry white Guy" to "unangry Man". I think it would do good to you, because - slowlly you want to project to the real world what you are projecting yourself as here
.......so, rephrasing would be a good step. We see you as a Human striving to be the right just path, just like rest of us!

Well that is my eventual goal, but I am not yet where I want to be or indeed where I should be. Until I reach that goal, I don't feel worthy of a change...

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~

This is really a saddening case.This issue is prevalent almost everywhere.
I am sorry to hear about you being fired sister Isra.A couple of days back I got into a debate with my family about my beard.Their point is that if a muslim keeps a beard he wont get any jobs as he would be viewed as extremist,so it would be difficult for him to clear interviews.Allah is Al Razzaq and He is the best of providers.
The thing is many of us have lost confidence due to constant nagging and judgments by others,hence we tend to follow the desire of other people rather than following Allah's laws.It has become difficult to survive.It's a test nevertheless.In my country a person who practices Islam and adheres to sunnah is looked down upon as an extremist!
The people have their self created ideas,hence there is a dire need to spread awareness about Islam and muslims.
There is also a great need of creation of job opportunities for muslims and entrepreneurship among muslims.
We need to help each other as an ummah,by staying in each others contact helping each other acquire jobs,because if we depend on kuffar to help us,it's just a pie in the sky.Hence we need to be proactive and do something ourselves with help from Allah.
I would invite everyone to think on this and come up with ideas.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself

I can't post a link to it (work censorship) but there is a lecture from Neuman Ali Khan on YouTube that talks about this, about how the practicing Muslims are "extremists" even among the Islamic community.

ayesha.ansari

Reason

Non Muslim who are mostly american make all laws to stop discrimination, breaking rules and many other i have million things to mention here but have less time. but you see what they allow people to do with freedom and freely they would never do that. like they give people to speak freely and then they start making fun of other with this is that freedom of speak you are teasing people. you are making rules which teases people you say discrimination is not allowed you are talking about Muslims not their own women are not save from discrimination, sexual harassment then how can they say they know how to handle every problem. Shame on these kind of people who lie. :astag::tti_sister:

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
Non Muslim who are mostly american make all laws to stop discrimination, breaking rules and many other i have million things to mention here but have less time. but you see what they allow people to do with freedom and freely they would never do that. like they give people to speak freely and then they start making fun of other with this is that freedom of speak you are teasing people. you are making rules which teases people you say discrimination is not allowed you are talking about Muslims not their own women are not save from discrimination, sexual harassment then how can they say they know how to handle every problem. Shame on these kind of people who lie. :astag::tti_sister:

It's well known that our freedoms are "selective freedoms". It depends on who you are and what you say as to whether or not you are truly free. Freedom of speech is allowed, but only as long as you say what the majority agree with. Try voicing a dissenting opinion and suddenly you are a "racist" or a "homophobe" or any other label they can think of to slap on you.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We know there is discrimination. Like it just happened yesterday. Now, let's remember it is economic. Everyone is discriminated against.

You got to look at whose in charge and where they are?
We have to stop blaming others and start our own companies and firms.

I have gotten to the point when I interview and they ask what makes you want to work for us, I smile and say Allah sent me.

Needless to say I am running out of unemployment compensation and am heading down to the welfare line. Please tell me something I don't know. It will make me smile.

strive-may-i

I am sorry to hear about you being fired sister Isra.A couple of days back I got into a debate with my family about my beard.Their point is that if a muslim keeps a beard he wont get any jobs as he would be viewed as extremist,so it would be difficult for him to clear interviews.Allah is Al Razzaq and He is the best of providers.......................

Am not pointing at kashif_nazeer. There is a subtle play here. and am attempting to highlight that

Story of a bearded person.
Okay lets take religion out for a moment.
A personXX with a preference for clean shaved look , sees a bearded person, The persons opinion could be ah not my type, ah so unclean, looks like a barbaric person [since he does not go to barber]. But personXX has no choice, and has to interact with bearded person.
--CASEA: if the bearded person, is really nice good and exemplary in his personality , then personXX might have a difference in opinion about this bearded person alone, and continue to still prefer a clean shaved look ( Thats rare, most people cant bring a positive swing in opinion in first interaction).
-- CASEB the bearded person does / say / fails to impress with his personality, then the original opinion stays, infact it could strengthen [The usual case].

Now bring in religion/ propaganda to picture, the CASE-B is going to strengthen( Increase beards length, let it be a little not so neatly kept). An orthodox person irrespective of religion is scoffed or looked down upon usually, because they have rigid or firm belief. now to add to it, let the bearded person, show a little lesser warmth, friendliness with personXX, the seperation increases.

Discrimination existed exists, will continue.... it happens in name of Race, religion, culture, color, language, nationality, gender, favoritism, kill competition and more....

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~

I can't post a link to it (work censorship) but there is a lecture from Neuman Ali Khan on YouTube that talks about this, about how the practicing Muslims are "extremists" even among the Islamic community.

Ok inshaAllah if you can provide that video brother,that will be really great.
Am not pointing at kashif_nazeer. There is a subtle play here. and am attempting to highlight that

Story of a bearded person.
Okay lets take religion out for a moment.
A personXX with a preference for clean shaved look , sees a bearded person, The persons opinion could be ah not my type, ah so unclean, looks like a barbaric person [since he does not go to barber]. But personXX has no choice, and has to interact with bearded person.
--CASEA: if the bearded person, is really nice good and exemplary in his personality , then personXX might have a difference in opinion about this bearded person alone, and continue to still prefer a clean shaved look ( Thats rare, most people cant bring a positive swing in opinion in first interaction).
-- CASEB the bearded person does / say / fails to impress with his personality, then the original opinion stays, infact it could strengthen [The usual case].

Now bring in religion/ propaganda to picture, the CASE-B is going to strengthen( Increase beards length, let it be a little not so neatly kept). An orthodox person irrespective of religion is scoffed or looked down upon usually, because they have rigid or firm belief. now to add to it, let the bearded person, show a little lesser warmth, friendliness with personXX, the seperation increases.

Discrimination existed exists, will continue.... it happens in name of Race, religion, culture, color, language, nationality, gender, favoritism, kill competition and more....

I think that is quite a logical explanation of it.Case B looks quite strong nowadays,though this doesn't disprove case A's existence,but society is a mix of people with varying opinions and the propaganda with which the general public is bombarded with,has been resulted in an exponential rise in Case B.
It reminds me of a hadith whose summary is that truth is already hard upon people,so while doing dawah we should show gentleness and kindness and be well mannered.If one is harsh with someone while doing dawah,that will simply turn that person away.