some good news from Turkey !

Salam alaikoum ,

Turkish Lawmakers Remove Head Scarf Ban :shymuslima1:

By SUZAN FRASER

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Lawmakers voted early Thursday to approve a constitutional amendment allowing female students to enter universities wearing Islamic head scarves — a move that many secular Turks view as an attempt to impose religion on their daily lives.

Lawmakers voted 401-110 in a preliminary vote in favor of the government's proposed amendment to the secular constitution. The government has defended its plan as a reform needed to give its citizens religious liberty and bring Turkey in line with European Union human rights guidelines.

A second and final round of voting was slated for Saturday.

The government has the backing of a nationalist opposition party and together they have more than the two-thirds majority in the 550-seat assembly required to make the change.

The head scarf issue is a source of tension in Turkey and has divided the population among those who consider the ban an affront to the religious freedoms of pious Muslims and those who fear removing the ban would erode Turkey's secular education system.

The vast majority of Turkey's 70 million people are Muslim, but they are divided over the role of Islam in politics and daily life.

Secularists regard the head covering as a political statement and argue it has no place in schools. They also fear that lifting the ban at universities would pressure all female students to cover themselves up.

On Wednesday, about 200 people gathered near the parliament building to protest the government's proposal as lawmakers convened. Hundreds of riot police, reinforced by armored vehicles, set up barricades to prevent them from marching to parliament.

"We won't allow the head scarf!" and "Down with the AKP!" the group chanted, referring to the acronym of the ruling party.

More than 125,000 people, mostly women, marched in Ankara over the weekend to denounce plans to lift the ban. University deans from dozens of private and state universities also gathered in the capital last week to show their opposition.

The issue also symbolizes the divide between the Islamic-oriented government and the country's military backed secular establishment.

The military, however, has not played a prominent role in the debate, although generals have periodically spoken up against what they view as moves to undermine secular principles introduced by the national founder, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.

Burhan Kuzu, a ruling party legislator denied secularism was being weakened. "If the proposed changes amount to what they say they amount to, I would be the first one to oppose them," he said.

To ease concerns, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's party has said that a loosening of the ban would be limited to universities, and would not be expanded to high schools or public offices.

Wa salam :tti_sister:

:SMILY288::SMILY288::SMILY288:

dna1987

Muslim Guy
^ I wonder if there are any images of the 200 idiots that protested agaiinst the hijab outside the government parliament. I'm wondering if they are made up of 200 men or women, and whether they claim to be Muslim or some other religion.
Salam alaikum.

These 200 have seen enough the body and the hair of hollywood acctress , so they wanted to see their native areas woman. :astag:

Xx_InTrUdEr_xX

It's quite sad actually that Hijab was ban in Turkey.

Rather disappointing, if muslim countries are going to restrict muslims from practicing then what you expect from non muslim countries.

There needs to be unity amongst the muslims, no wonder we are suffering, anyways its good news.

But what they say , a rock doesn't move a mountain. Only an earthquake moves it !

It's a little good step i hope we can see many more.

Superman_mb

es salamu alaykum

i am hopeful to beat this ban after saturday insallah. and i was expecting this amendment since years. my family and my friends suffered from this ban through all their life.

my father served to turkish navy for 19 years, and when one year remained to his retirement they simply through out from duty without any social security and rights. any single retirement salary and future for his children.

when we were living in ankara one day superior of my dad called him to office with my mom and just said to my mother, `this is secular and modern army, we can't let people who behave non modern. we are the representative of contemporary turkey. thus if you do not open your head we will kick your husband from duty.` and my mother did not take off her scarf. they exiled us to south and we lived there two years. then they called my father to base and said you are kicked of from duty because of lack of discipline.

it was just that.easy and simple. there were no excuses. my father left us in south and moved to istanbul and looked for job for one year. so story goes on. it was not only my father that kicked of from army because his wife was wearing scarf. hundreds of officers were throw out from army in same reason. secular army and state called it `irtica` or `problem of irtica` simply they indicated with the word of irtica, who wants to back ages of non modernity which they meant moslems civilizations or islamic way of life. these people's all social security, futuristic dreams for them and their family, hospital services, and many others simply taken from their hands. and they remained helpless and unbacked from state of turkey. for example if somebady are sick and needs to serious consultation and care of doctors but doesn't have any social security anymore. and could be die in misery and suffering without giving a damn of others who ended their carrier of life.

my sisters left governmental schools and education and became students of moslem seminary or i.e madrasah. both of them studied years islamic sciences in arabic and became hafiz of qur'an and teachers of arabic. i did same for some couple years. so we became that kind of people that is to say more dangerous :) who made irtica in their imagination who kicked my dad from navy.

this is not america that you can simply open cases against those who trampled your rights and win million dollars compensation.

there are women teachers who wore scarfes kicked of from teaching duty too. and many others.

there were imam hatip schools simply say in english imam and preachers high schools (everywhere in turkey) which every year gave the most successful students who pass the university joining exams among many others and hold the top places of universities. they did not satisfied with stopping women to ban join the universities with scarf they also cut the high school marks and points of those imam hatip school students both man and girls. in the time of joining universities high education commission calculated school marks also with marks that has taken from university joining exams.

so they intended to finish of scarfed women and practical moslem men in social life and carrier. they don't want to see moslem people as doctors, professors, scientists, artists, musicias, writers, teachers, officers etc. they want to show to west that `look how we are moderate, contemporary. look how we are living in hollywood dream.`

but Allah says in Qur'an, `we mekaru we mekarallah` `those set traps for and Allah set traps for them. Allah is the most auspicious of trappers.'

and that's true. Allah never forgets, Allah only postpones.

Xx_InTrUdEr_xX

^ i am honestly saddened after reading your story brother.

Turkey disgusts me, i hate and yeah i do repeat "Hate" leaders who run their country on the agenda of the west. Turkey still can't make its way in the "EU". Obviously, they want Turkey to do more n more and lose all the self respect......which they have left, which isn't much by the way. I don't consider Turkey as muslim country anyways. That's just a personal view. All the muslim countries are on the down fall, and are on the knees to the agenda of the west.

i get so infuriated by things like this.

Doris

Bismilah,

May Allaah Azawajal turn back all our sisters to their Hijaabs in Turkey and in the world and our brothers to their beards. Amin.

warda A

Sister
alhamdullilah

:salam2:

At least now the women will exhale

now we should pressure Tunisia to give women their rights to wear or not to wear hijab

:wasalam:

elixbrody

Eli/Sister
This ban means now all the sisters have to wear the headscarf like either if they like it or not? I think is good btw :)
But can they say if they want or all people in university have to wear it?

secularism by banning headscarfs?......next time theyll ban clothes .....hope not!
am happy that abdullah gul has finally started doing reforms in his country

etoile_de_mer

Assalaamu Alaykum wr wb brothers & sisters
I find it very strange on the part of a "suppose muslim country" with lots of mosques and a background history of islam ..to ban the headscarf!!!
i personally met a turkish lady while i was in india..(she is a non hijabi) and westernised lady..and she came & talked with me..and she trusted me a lot(i think mostly bcoz i'm muslim & wearing the hijab) we even shared the same room!
One day we went to a shop ..and there was a muslim man inside ..seeing me with my hijab..the man greeted me with "Assalaamualaikum" ..and all of a sudden i heard the turkish lady replying with "wa aleykum assalaam" i got a shocked..cos she had nothing islamic in her..so that day she told me she is muslim!!! i asked her further questions..like "do u pray?" or "do u know how to read the qur'an?" she replied "no"..and said that its her grand parents who prayed etc..her parents don;'t pray and she is not interested in islam at all.!! So i was thinking to myself why she said she is muslim then!!!
anyway i remember in class i was very angry at her..cos she made a ppt presentation showing her country to the class...and the teacher asked her some questions about her country being part of EU ...she said "oh yes we want to be part of europe ..islam is for backward ppl ..we are modern we want to be part of of the west instead of the east..."
she also said east is backwards bcoz of islam...i was feeling very sad ..and everyone was looking at me when she said that, cos i'm muslim! i also remember she also told me that do u wear this scarf..u r young...and u dress urself like old!
i'm from a non muslim country and work in the govt sector..and i'm FREE to wear the hijab!
i'm very sad for the muslim in turkey...May Allah Help them overcome this difficulty..ameen

aishajor

i found it silly

They try to band the hijab in turkey and most of the people there are muslims

its silly

Shahzad

when such things are near to theirapproval, all NGOs are invited to protest against it. It appears that these are oridinary citizens but actually these are the nmembers of NGOs who do this and arrange such protests.

Thats why NGOs are condemned.They play big part in spreading bad stuff.

I have read that in turkey, 60% of ppl wants the islam to be applicable in their daily lives.

I hope this step will makee a huge change in turkey. They are a brave nation (being decendents of Tatari nation)

Superman_mb

es salamu aleykum

elhamdulillah we beat this silly ban. with 411 votes against 103 rejects we pass this exam. from now on scarfed moslem women would be studied at turkish üniversites inşaallah. now parliament also will try to change the calculation of imam and preacher schools' marks in university joining exams.

now they'll to send new decision and represent it to present abdullah gül. obviously he will agree this. but leftist and secular party chp said that they will open case in constitution court against this election. may allah beat them all over and over again.

another thing is women in india, which emphasized the idea of being westernized than east. she said my grand parents were praying but not my parents. this is because of lack of background of islam in goverment schools since 1920s. They changed many things and bring new rules from west and want to modernized brains according to western approach. and make people secular, or that is to say religion less.

but who had learned islam from their parents and eventually search and trained themselves from books or imam hatip preachers schools or qur'an courses, and illegal madrasahs etc.

i simply call many of moslems of turkey as etiquette moslems which written on their id cards. that is true. but day by day we have young generation which going to be more conscious.

pray for us, pray for all.

Allahu_Hassbi

:ma:
I was so happy to hear this the other day.
Poor turkish sisters were so much under pressure.
I prayed alot for these sister.May Allah SWT guide them all to success Inshallah.