Sometimes the smallest things hurt the most

DanyalSAC

As I've mentioned in the revert thread above I grew up as a devout (more or less) Catholic. Catholics honor saints & beata and when I converted I had enough statues to fill up a box to take down off shelves, mantles etc in my house. One of those statues is of the Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, a Native American woman in the 1600s who lived a chaste Christian lifestyle and is honored in Canada and in the United States as the only Native to hold such a position within the church. As my mother is part Native herself we kept statues of Kateri around often.

Last year on March 20 when I was heavily into the Catholic faith I put a bid on what was to end up being my house. I signed the final documents on 04/30. During that time I kept asking Kateri to intercede for me. On my first night sleeping in my new house I had a dream... in this dream I was in a church dedicated to Tekakwitha. It was made of rough hewn wood, the priest had Native designs on his vestments, there were a couple Native women kneeling in the pews and (oddly enough) in the background was the Gregorian chant being done to the beat of a Native drum.

When I woke up I interpreted this dream to mean that I had to do a pilgrimage to a shrine or a church that has been dedicated to her. I knew her shrine was in eastern Canada near the New York state border. So I did a search on Google for "Church Kateri Tekakwitha". Well, I found one here in California about 5 hours drive south of me (near Los Angeles). However it was under construction... the odd thing though is it was started on 03/20 and the floor was laid on 04/30 - same dates as above. When I called my mother and told her this she got goosebumps.

Well... move on ahead several months later and I become Muslim. A couple months ago, mom brought this up. I tried- with patience - to explain to her that all things come from Allah and she made one reply: "Kateri is weeping". And that hurt. I don't know why but it hurt and set of a pang of guilt. She went on to say "She's been so good to you!" and that's where I decided to change the subject.

She later apologized for it, saying she had no right to say that to me but in the whole time since my conversion that was the only time I had any regret, even if it was just a small pang...

kayleigh

From what I gather by this timeline you've been a Muslim for less than a year or about a year - am I right?

With me, for awhile after I reverted, I kept having little voices in the back of my head saying stuff like, "What if you're wrong, then you're going to hell" or "You're going to hell for not believing in Jesus" and things like that. For awhile being a practicing Muslim even felt a little bit wrong in some ways, even though I clearly believed in what I was doing.

When you've been raised on a religion - especially if you were once very devout - then it's going to take awhile for you to get used to a new way of thinking. It's not like overnight you will stop having certain thoughts.

My guess is that because you were so devout and devoted to the saint, you are still having little pangs of feeling for it, like what happened with your mother. I think it's probably similar to what I, and a lot of reverts go through. I bet if she were to say the same thing to you in a year or two, you wouldn't be as effected.

DanyalSAC

JazakAllah Khairn for your kind words, and yes you are correct. I've been Muslim for less than 8 months. And you are right, I get thoughts not so much about my own Judgement Day but about those who I did rever before. Like Kateri herself. She was a strong Christian & devoted to her faith... she probably never even heard of Islam. So is she in the hellfire?

What about St Bernadette of Lourds? If Islam is the one true religion then why is the body of this woman still incorrupt over 100 years after her death? It is on display in the chapel looking like she's asleep.

Mind you I am not questioning Islam - never would I do that! I am just questioning those who - in my opinion - probably never read a Qur'an, heard a hadith, etc - and yet seem to be rewarded for their faith even though it wasn't Islam.

In many ways I find it absolutely beautiful. In others its rather confusing!

kayleigh

People aren't punished for not being Muslim if they've never heard of Islam - it wouldn't be their fault. There's no doubt that the saints in Christianity were good people, even if they weren't Muslim. I don't know what the Islamically correct answer is but I tend to think that perhaps they are being rewarded for devotion to God and living a good life because the life they lived isn't really that much different from how Muslims are supposed to live.

icadams

From what I gather by this timeline you've been a Muslim for less than a year or about a year - am I right?

With me, for awhile after I reverted, I kept having little voices in the back of my head saying stuff like, "What if you're wrong, then you're going to hell" or "You're going to hell for not believing in Jesus" and things like that. For awhile being a practicing Muslim even felt a little bit wrong in some ways, even though I clearly believed in what I was doing.

When you've been raised on a religion - especially if you were once very devout - then it's going to take awhile for you to get used to a new way of thinking. It's not like overnight you will stop having certain thoughts.

My guess is that because you were so devout and devoted to the saint, you are still having little pangs of feeling for it, like what happened with your mother. I think it's probably similar to what I, and a lot of reverts go through. I bet if she were to say the same thing to you in a year or two, you wouldn't be as effected.

Jazak-Allahu khayran, for this answer. Most of the converts (including myself) that I have met and talked to have experienced this as well.

icadams

Uncorrupted bodies are actually more common than many people realize. If you do some research you will find that it happens under certain conditions, and if I remember my Anatomy and Physiology professor correctly, it has a lot to do with body chemistry, burial methods, and the environment.

kayleigh

Uncorrupted bodies are actually more common than many people realize. If you do some research you will find that it happens under certain conditions, and if I remember my Anatomy and Physiology professor correctly, it has a lot to do with body chemistry, burial methods, and the environment.

Yep. Most examples of well preserved bodies can be explained by science. Sometimes there are cases that seem unexplainable, though, but my first instinct is to explain it away by science.

yafash

Asalam alaykum.

May Allah strengthen U on the path to Jannah.

I understand Ur feelings of guilt but I can assure U they are just wisperings if the Satan trying to shake Ur Imaan.
U just have to remind Urself D reasons why U accepted Islam and strengthen Ur conviction…

Concerning people who really never heard of Islam, Allah pn the day of Judgment will give them a test which will determine their faith.
They would choose what they would have chosen had they heard of Islam before they died. Other people in this category include children who die before puberty, mentally handicapped...

May Allah assist Us.
Do take care.

Asalam alaykum

aroojimran

Dear Brother in Islam

Assalamualykom wrwb

Going through your post full of emotions i could actually feel what you must be goin through....But hold on brother...Hold on to Your New Belief...The True Belief..Belief in Allah..The Most Merciful.....

Brother the pangs of pain are torturing indeed..They eat into your psyche,BUT thatz where the TEST LIES.....Allah SWT will test your IMAAN through such ordeals agianst the viciousness of SATAN who will try to continously Waver your FAITH...

Brother hold on to Allah...Leave your all worries to HIM and see the magical Healing effect...

Take care..

May Allah strengthen your FAITH day by day(AMEEN)

Your sister in faith

waalykom Assalaam

yasak80

:SMILY231:There are some peoples who have not been reached by the message of the Prophet of Islam (Allah bless him and give him peace) that we must worship the One God alone, associating nothing else with Him. Such people are innocent, and will not be punished no matter what they do. Allah says in surat al-Isra',

"We do not punish until We send a Messenger" (Qur'an 17:15).

These include, for example, Christians and others who lived in the period after the spread of the myth of Jesus godhood, until the time of the prophet Muhammad (Allah bless him and give him peace)

LoveofAllah

It's one of the tricks of shaytan to lure you back into your old ways.
I became practicing over a year ago and when i do MSA work i feel guilt for not helping my mother instead. And when i make time to help my mother i get feelings that i left my muslim brothers and sisters and im a hypocrite so i might as well not pray. it's a crazy mind game.

I got pressured into accepting someone for marriage because of the guilt my mother was pushing on me. I know how you feel, it is such a powerful thing that you cant control. You seem strong, but i was really weak.

Stay strong....