Stoning in Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.

arzafar

As Salaam Mu Aleykum Dearest TTI Brothers and Sisters.

I have read and understood each persons argument/point of view etc. But what I do fail to understand is the fact that one never hears about the man getting stoned or imprisoned or lashed its only the women... Surely a man is an equal contributor to the act of adultery??? But its always the woman! another thing is that in order for a person to be charged and convicted of adultery there has to be three credible witness.. no?
I have a question... who could actually be a witness to an act such as this...

good observation.
i think that's because of the media and male centric society in the muslim world. It's considered ok for a man to have extra martial relationship whereas for a woman it is a matter of honor.
Even on many Islamic sites it bothers me to see scholars keep telling women to be patient when they discuss serious wrongdoing on part of their husband.

thing is you gotta all a spade a spade no matter what.

It's actually 4 witnesses

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
As Salaam Mu Aleykum Dearest TTI Brothers and Sisters.

I have read and understood each persons argument/point of view etc. But what I do fail to understand is the fact that one never hears about the man getting stoned or imprisoned or lashed its only the women... Surely a man is an equal contributor to the act of adultery??? But its always the woman! another thing is that in order for a person to be charged and convicted of adultery there has to be three credible witness.. no?
I have a question... who could actually be a witness to an act such as this...

:wasalam:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu..
right you are there,sis.often heard a girl gettin flogged or stoned.but i suppose that is the society's baised behaviour.islam is brings the same ruling for all...

as far as that woman of Ghamid is concerned she was strong enough to come forth herself.i guess the man just ran away so we never kno what became of him.but he was to be stoned as well,had he been there.....

if i'm wrong in this someone may correct me.

Valerie

"Buraidah said: "A woman of Ghamid came to the Prophet and said: "I have committed fornication", He said: "Go back". She returned and on the next day she came to him again, and said: "Perhaps you want to send me back as you did to Maiz b. Malik. I swear by Allah, I am pregnant." He said to her: "Go back". She then returned and came to him the next day. He said to her: "Go back until you give birth to the child." She then returned. When she gave birth to the child she brought the child to him, and said: "Here it is! I have given birth to it." He said: "Go back, and suckle him until you wean him." When she had weaned him, she brought him to him with something in his hand which he was eating. The boy was then given to a certain man of the Muslims and he (the prophet) commanded regarding her. So a pit was dug for her, and he gave orders about her and she was stoned to death. Khalid was one of those who were throwing stones at her. He threw a stone at her. When a drop of blood fell on his cheek, he abused her. The prophet said to him: "Gently, Khalid. By Him in Whose hand my soul is, she has repented to such an extent that if one who wrongfully takes an extra tax were to repent to a like extent, he would be forgiven". Then giving command regarding her, prayed over her and she was buried.""

I'm going to get yelled at for this.. but what a horrible story. I understand if someone does something wrong, punishment, whatever... but I hope that the man was punished as well. No one has a problem with murdering a mother and leaving a child without her?

Kakorot

^ It doesn't just apply to women. Didn't you read the hadeeth about Ma'iz? And maybe the man she fornicated with was Ma'iz.

And it is the woman of Ghamid who came to the Prophet :saw2: several times admitting her sin and he kept on sending her back, but she still persisted because she wanted to have the punishment. Maybe the man who she fornicated with didn't come to the Prophet :saw2: to admit his sin, erm so how will the Prophet :saw2: know of the man??

Of course it's not the child's fault but don't you see the lady did the expitation of that sin. If she did not do that, then the punishment would of been great in the afterlife. She was forgiven and her forgiveness would of been sufficient for 70 people in Madeenah. The Prophet :saw2: even prayed the funeral prayer over her. And the Prophet :saw2: even gave her time to wean her child. After her death, the child was taken care of, although he was illigitimate.

What's so unjust here?

Islam!!yay

I am unaware of that. According to my knowledge adultery is a person who is married and has sexual intercourse with another woman who is not his wife.
And Fornication is between two unmarried persons.

As I mentioned earlier the Quran states not about stoning punishment for adultery its from the sunnah that we follow. And if your adamant by saying Quran does not state it then I can't help it. There are many things the Quran does not say but we follow from Sunnah. And also if you insist that the Quran does not state anything about stoning so did the Messenger of Allaah (Peace Be Upon Him) went against it by ordering the stoning??

The Quran that I use uses the word Adulterers. To me Fornicators and adulterers are the same. Both are illegal sexual activities.

Valerie

^ It doesn't just apply to women. Didn't you read the hadeeth about Ma'iz? And maybe the man she fornicated with was Ma'iz.

And it is the woman of Ghamid who came to the Prophet :saw2: several times admitting her sin and he kept on sending her back, but she still persisted because she wanted to have the punishment. Maybe the man who she fornicated with didn't come to the Prophet :saw2: to admit his sin, erm so how will the Prophet :saw2: know of the man??

Of course it's not the child's fault but don't you see the lady did the expitation of that sin. If she did not do that, then the punishment would of been great in the afterlife. She was forgiven and her forgiveness would of been sufficient for 70 people in Madeenah. The Prophet :saw2: even prayed the funeral prayer over her. And the Prophet :saw2: even gave her time to wean her child. After her death, the child was taken care of, although he was illigitimate.

What's so unjust here?

I'm just not a fan of killing people, I suppose.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
The Quran that I use uses the word Adulterers. To me Fornicators and adulterers are the same to me. Both are illegal sexual activities.

The Quran also states ''And obey Allah and the Messenger (Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) that you may obtain mercy.''

Which translation of Quran is it?

kayleigh

I'd like to just say that the punishment for adultery or fornication or whatever you want to call it is the same for men and women. It's not like women should be punished and men get off free. The problem is, almost all societies in the world punish the woman for sexual deviance and excuse the man. I highly doubt this is ever going to change on a large scale. Even Muslim societies follow this rule and are not excused as a whole. People ignore their common sense and their religion.

In Iran, men often accuse their wives of adultery because they don't want to pay for a divorce or pay to support two wives. Stoning women there is common and easy. In this case, they beat the woman until she "confessed". There, and in many places, you don't need witnesses to shame women, or even kill them. You just need a rumor.

also, I don't see the point of arguing the difference between adultery and fornication in English. What does it say in arabic?

Valerie - I'm not comfortable with stoning either. Whether or not Islam says to do it is one thing. I'm not sure if it actually. If it does, I still wouldn't be comfortable with it, or understand how it could be just.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
kind of off topic but i want to share

i just checked about the difference between fornication and adultry and was kind of surprised to see that the difference between the two was cleared before the times of islam..

according to Bible fornicator is the one who commits this sin when he/she is not married already...

and an adulterer is the man/woman who is married and commits this sin.

death penalty was mentioned there for the "adulterer" not the fornicator.in one place it was mentioned that the penalty was stoning....

(have the bible verses but not sure if i should share)and i kno we are trying to see what islam says.just found it interesting.how they point at us and say we cruel when the truth is proven from their book.

I'd like to just say that the punishment for adultery or fornication or whatever you want to call it is the same for men and women. It's not like women should be punished and men get off free. The problem is, almost all societies in the world punish the woman for sexual deviance and excuse the man. I highly doubt this is ever going to change on a large scale. Even Muslim societies follow this rule and are not excused as a whole. People ignore their common sense and their religion.

In Iran, men often accuse their wives of adultery because they don't want to pay for a divorce or pay to support two wives. Stoning women there is common and easy. In this case, they beat the woman until she "confessed". There, and in many places, you don't need witnesses to shame women, or even kill them. You just need a rumor.
also, I don't see the point of arguing the difference between adultery and fornication in English. What does it say in arabic?

sadly that's so true...

@Sister Valerie,no one is fond of killing.perhaps we should focus on the magnitude and graveness of the sin too.We should look at both sides of the picture so that we don't get dishearted.if stoning is proved from sunnah i guess that shows how grave the sin is.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Before everything it is important to clear that the punishment which you have mentioned dear brother is both for man and woman in Islam, in every country in which is applyed Shariah law, and by that in Iran also.

Dear brother one of the main reasons why the punishment for the act of Zina (adultery or fornication )in Islam is so severe is that this is not crime only against one individual but also against whole society, as it causes many other crimes like child abuse, breaking-up of families, spreading many diseases, and at the end destroys moral of one society.

Allah sais in Quran :" And come not near unto adultery. Lo! it is an abomination and an evil way) (Al-Isra’ 17: 32)."

(And the servants of the Beneficent) are those who do not invoke another god with Allah, and who do not…commit fornication/adultery, for whoever does that shall receive the penalty; for him shall the torment be doubled on the day of resurrection, and therein he shall abide forever, disgraced, save him who repents and believes and does good works; those, Allah shall change their misdeeds into good works. And Allah is Forgiving, Compassionate) (Al-Furqan: 68-70).

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Whoever guarantees me that he will guard his chastity, I will guarantee him Paradise” (Al-Bukhari).

Islam does not only prohibits the act of Zina by it also closes all doors that can lead to it, ordering Muslim man and Muslim woman to keep their chasity and modesty, ordering Muslim men to lower their gaze and ordering Muslim woman to wear the clothes of chasity.

Regarding the punishemt for the act of Zina (adultery or fornication) in In the very beginning of Surat An-Nur, it is stated that:

"The woman and the man guilty of adultery or fornication,- flog each of them with a hundred stripes: Let not compassion move you in their case, in a matter prescribed by Allah, if ye believe in Allah and the Last Day: and let a party of the Believers witness their punishment) (An-Nur 24: 2)."

Given the above, it is to be noted that the punishment specified for an unmarried person guilty of fornication in the Shari`ah is 100 stripes.

As for the punishment specified in the Shari`ah for the married adulterer or adulteress, it is stoning to death. But this offense must be proven either through a confession made voluntarily by the accused or by the testimony of four witnesses who state under oath that they have witnessed the commission of the crime. It's only after this legal procedure that the accused will be punished.

And Allah knows the best.

And regarding Islamic Republic of Iran and its Shariah law, in this case particulary its "Penal Code " it is far away from the Shariah law ordered in the Quran and Sunnah. There are many reasons for this, like gender inequality, some new added things, some things aloowed which are forbiden by Quran and Sunnah like for example Judiciary permits sexual reassignment surgery for those who can afford it. In the early 1960s, Ayatollah Khomeini had issued a ruling permitting gender reassignment, which has since been reconfirmed by Ayatollah Khamenei. Astagfirullah. For Iran to have pure Shariah law in its use, it needs to happen new Islamic revolution which will be based on Quran and Sunnah.

May Allah guide us all. Ameen

Wa Allaicumu Sallam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

To the people who think stoning is the harsh punishment :- What about the sins they are committing ?

A man cheating his wife, with another women. Imagine the shame and sorrow for the wife here and a great deal of embarrassment for the children of their family. In addition, the wife preserved her modesty and was loyal to her husband, while the husband in his sound mind, chose not to. Is this not injustice of the highest order ?

And the women with whom he committed adultery. He didn't give her rights either. He took the pleasure of her company and left her. Did he provide shelter or food for her ? what if she got pregnant ? And the innocent child has to suffer, a childhood with no father and a fornicating mother ? Is this just ?

If people feel that there is no logic in stoning the adulterer, then why do you think it is fine to execute a murderer ? He has a family too right and kids to feed ?

You kill him because he took away someone's right to live. He caused the dead person's family immense grief and hardship. In addition to causing unrest and instability in the society.

Isn't the fornicator wrecking people's lives too, by succumbing in to lust ?

And if the fornicator repents and is stoned, maybe Allah in his infinite mercy might not hold him accountable for his heinous sin and pardon him.

In the hadeeth, it said in the end that Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam prayed over her. Do people understand the virtue of a righteous person or pious person supplicating for you ? Now imagine the Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam supplicating for someone..

And just imagining being stoned to death is so horrific, would this not deter a person from fornicating ? Definitely it would. This would go a long way in eliminating this evil injustice from lands where this law is practiced.
( And I am not talking about countries who stone people just to meet their political agendas, persecuting innocent men and women).

Islam is the solution for eliminating all the vices and corruption on the earth. Till when will we keep using our constricted intellect and try to find a law better than the ones from Islam ? The laws in Islam came from Almighty Allah, Do you think you can find a better law than the one that comes from our Creator ? ....

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Then Allah says:

(The Zaniyah and the Zani, flog each of them with a hundred stripes.) This honorable Ayah contains the ruling on the law of retaliation for the person who commits illegal sex, and details of the punishment. Such a person will either be unmarried, meaning that he has never been married, or he will be married, meaning that he has had intercourse within the bounds of a lawful marriage, and he is free, adult and of sound mind. As for the virgin who is unwedded, the prescribed punishment is one hundred stripes, as stated in this Ayah. In addition to this he is to be banished from his homeland for one year, as was recorded in the Two Sahihs from Abu Hurayrah and Zayd bin Khalid Al-Juhani in the Hadith about the two bedouins who came to the Messenger of Allah . One of them said, "O Messenger of Allah, this son of mine was employed by this man, and committed Zina with his wife. I paid a ransom with him on behalf of my son one hundred sheep and a slave-girl, but when I asked the people of knowledge, they said that my son should be given one hundred stripes and banished for a year, and that this man's wife should be stoned to death.'' The Messenger of Allah said:

(By the One in Whose Hand is my soul, I will judge between you both according to the Book of Allah. Take back the slave-girl and sheep, and your son is to be given one hundred stripes and banished for one year. O Unays -- he said to a man from the tribe of Aslam -- go to this man's wife, and if she confesses, then stone her to death.) Unays went to her and she confessed, so he stoned her to death. This indicates that if the person who is guilty of illegal sex is a virgin and unmarried, he should be banished in addition to being given one hundred stripes. But if married, meaning he has had intercourse within the bounds of lawful marriage, and he is free, adult and of sound mind, then he should be stoned to death. Imam Malik recorded that `Umar, may Allah be pleased with him, stood up and praised and glorified Allah, then he said; "O people! Allah sent Muhammad with the truth, and revealed to him the Book. One of the things that was revealed to him was the Ayah of stoning to death, which we have recited and understood. The Messenger of Allah carried out the punishment of stoning and after him we did so, but I am afraid that as time goes by, some will say that they did not find the Ayah of stoning in the Book of Allah, and they will go astray because they abandoned one of the obligations revealed by Allah. Stoning is something that is prescribed in the Book of Allah for the person -- man or woman -- who commits illegal sex, if he or she is married, if decisive evidence is produced, or if pregnancy results from that, or if they confess to it.'' It was also recorded in the Two Sahihs in the lengthy Hadith of Malik, from which we have quoted briefly only the portion that is relevant to the current discussion.

http://abdurrahman.org/qurantafseer/ibnkathir/ibnkathir_web/24.35488.html

arzafar

To the people who think stoning is the harsh punishment :- What about the sins they are committing ?

A man cheating his wife, with another women. Imagine the shame and sorrow for the wife here and a great deal of embarrassment for the children of their family. In addition, the wife preserved her modesty and was loyal to her husband, while the husband in his sound mind, chose not to. Is this not injustice of the highest order ?

And the women with whom he committed adultery. He didn't give her rights either. He took the pleasure of her company and left her. Did he provide shelter or food for her ? what if she got pregnant ? And the innocent child has to suffer, a childhood with no father and a fornicating mother ? Is this just ?

If people feel that there is no logic in stoning the adulterer, then why do you think it is fine to execute a murderer ? He has a family too right and kids to feed ?

You kill him because he took away someone's right to live. He caused the dead person's family immense grief and hardship. In addition to causing unrest and instability in the society.

Isn't the fornicator wrecking people's lives too, by succumbing in to lust ?

And if the fornicator repents and is stoned, maybe Allah in his infinite mercy might not hold him accountable for his heinous sin and pardon him.

In the hadeeth, it said in the end that Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam prayed over her. Do people understand the virtue of a righteous person or pious person supplicating for you ? Now imagine the Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam supplicating for someone..

And just imagining being stoned to death is so horrific, would this not deter a person from fornicating ? Definitely it would. This would go a long way in eliminating this evil injustice from lands where this law is practiced.
( And I am not talking about countries who stone people just to meet their political agendas, persecuting innocent men and women).

Islam is the solution for eliminating all the vices and corruption on the earth. Till when will we keep using our constricted intellect and try to find a law better than the ones from Islam ? The laws in Islam came from Almighty Allah, Do you think you can find a better law than the one that comes from our Creator ? ....

i agree with you 100%.
in countries where there is any sort of remnants of shariah law, the crime rate is very low. Even the west acknowledges this fact.

but somehow people are against all forms of capital punishment. They prefer 5 star prisons and counselling. it turns out that many of those criminals, after being released, repeat those crimes. In fact most crimes are repeat crimes!
and still people cant seem to understand why harsh punishments are necessary to deter the first timers as well as pros.

besides, the prisons are run by taxes collected from the people. why should my money be used to feed a proven murderer or clean his *!*!*!*!? how many people could get proper health and education if only the criminals were punished swiftly.

western judicial system is unjust at so many levels, it's unreal. to put it simply Islamic laws are barbaric towards criminals while western laws are barbaric towards the innocent.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
I'm going to get yelled at for this.. but what a horrible story. I understand if someone does something wrong, punishment, whatever... but I hope that the man was punished as well. No one has a problem with murdering a mother and leaving a child without her?

Hopefully you wont be mistreated on these boards, we as muslims are supposed to exhibit very high standard of manners.

Well, I must be frank and tell you that the way you pose questions seem like you don't think highly of the rulings in Islam (in the matters discussed on TTI).

I take that you are a muslim now Alhamdulillah. You should understand that the period of time we are discussing here is of the Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam. You will not find a more just and god fearing people than the people living in this generation, compared to any other civilization or nation. This is not an exaggeration. There are non-muslims who have concluded the same. So how could it ever be that they were 'unjust' to the women and also didn't feel that the man needs to be taken into account ?

I believe (in my limited & humble knowledge) that there is no narration of the man who was involved in this matter. But this narration does show that the women came repeatedly to the Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam and had a lot of guilt. The women seeked to be judged by Allah's law, if it meant that she had to be stoned, so be it. (This might be unheard of, but this is what faith in Allah does to people).

You mention 'murder' in your post, I believe emotions got the better of you. We can't even begin to think of the Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam and his noble companions RadiAllahu Anhum Ajmaeen would be accused of such an atrocity.

arzafar

Then Allah says:

(The Zaniyah and the Zani, flog each of them with a hundred stripes.) This honorable Ayah contains the ruling on the law of retaliation for the person who commits illegal sex, and details of the punishment. Such a person will either be unmarried, meaning that he has never been married, or he will be married, meaning that he has had intercourse within the bounds of a lawful marriage, and he is free, adult and of sound mind. As for the virgin who is unwedded, the prescribed punishment is one hundred stripes, as stated in this Ayah. In addition to this he is to be banished from his homeland for one year, as was recorded in the Two Sahihs from Abu Hurayrah and Zayd bin Khalid Al-Juhani in the Hadith about the two bedouins who came to the Messenger of Allah . One of them said, "O Messenger of Allah, this son of mine was employed by this man, and committed Zina with his wife. I paid a ransom with him on behalf of my son one hundred sheep and a slave-girl, but when I asked the people of knowledge, they said that my son should be given one hundred stripes and banished for a year, and that this man's wife should be stoned to death.'' The Messenger of Allah said:

(By the One in Whose Hand is my soul, I will judge between you both according to the Book of Allah. Take back the slave-girl and sheep, and your son is to be given one hundred stripes and banished for one year. O Unays -- he said to a man from the tribe of Aslam -- go to this man's wife, and if she confesses, then stone her to death.) Unays went to her and she confessed, so he stoned her to death. This indicates that if the person who is guilty of illegal sex is a virgin and unmarried, he should be banished in addition to being given one hundred stripes. But if married, meaning he has had intercourse within the bounds of lawful marriage, and he is free, adult and of sound mind, then he should be stoned to death. Imam Malik recorded that `Umar, may Allah be pleased with him, stood up and praised and glorified Allah, then he said; "O people! Allah sent Muhammad with the truth, and revealed to him the Book. One of the things that was revealed to him was the Ayah of stoning to death, which we have recited and understood. The Messenger of Allah carried out the punishment of stoning and after him we did so, but I am afraid that as time goes by, some will say that they did not find the Ayah of stoning in the Book of Allah, and they will go astray because they abandoned one of the obligations revealed by Allah. Stoning is something that is prescribed in the Book of Allah for the person -- man or woman -- who commits illegal sex, if he or she is married, if decisive evidence is produced, or if pregnancy results from that, or if they confess to it.'' It was also recorded in the Two Sahihs in the lengthy Hadith of Malik, from which we have quoted briefly only the portion that is relevant to the current discussion.

http://abdurrahman.org/qurantafseer/ibnkathir/ibnkathir_web/24.35488.html

wow what timing bro!

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

The women seeked to be judged by Allah's law, if it meant that she had to be stoned, so be it. (This might be unheard of, but this is what faith in Allah does to people).

I found something that I had come across while reading about the life of the brilliant Muhammad Ibn Abdul Wahhab rahimullah . I quote from the book 'The Life, Teachings and Influence of Muhammad Ibn Abdul-Wahhaab' by Shaykh Jamaal al Din Zaraboz Page 31

Going well beyond the simple removal of polytheistic
practices, ibn Abdul-Wahhaab attempted to create a true Islamic
society in al-Uyayna. The laws of the Shareeah (Islamic Law) were to
be implemented in every aspect of life -superseding any customs or
practices that contradict them. In particular, he insisted on the
performance of the prayers -actually not just the performance of the
prayers but their performance in congregation in the mosque.

During this time, a woman came forward to Muhammad ibn
Abdul-Wahhaab to admit her crime of adultery. She wanted to be
purged of her sin -much like the woman who came forward to the
Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) to
purge herself of the same sin. Ibn Abdul-Wahhaab behaved exactly
like the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) himself.
He made sure that the woman was not insane, was not raped and that
she was making the confession of her own free will. After meeting the
necessary conditions, ibn Abdul-Wahhaab had the woman stoned,
with Uthmaan himself throwing the first stone. Then ibn Abdul-
Wahhaab ordered that her body be washed, wrapped in a shroud and
have the funeral prayer performed for it. All of this was both her wish
and completely in accordance with Islamic Law.

Al-Uthaimeen notes that this action on the part of the woman
reflects how greatly the call of ibn Abdul-Wahhaab had penetrated the
hearts of the individuals of that society. Indeed, it became a new
society as before ibn Abdul-Wahhaab’s time, there was no great alarm
over evil practices such as adultery. However, this woman felt so
much sorrow over her act that she came to have herself purified of the
sin

Valerie

I'm not emotional about this. Disappointed, but not emotional. I just feel like I saw the wrong picture of Islam before now. I was told it was a peaceful religion, but how can taking someone's life for something that should have been between them and Allah (I admit, that was the woman's real mistake, not keeping it between her and Allah) ever fit into a peaceful religion? Beating someone to death with rocks isn't peaceful. And her punishment would have been taken care of after she died anyways.

I don't think I'm wrong for questioning. I'm allowed to use my brain. I refuse to "just accept" everything I'm told. I have to think things through. I'm not accusing the Prophet or anyone else of anything. You know, though? This is good. Having this where people who want to learn about Islam can see it. That way they can decide for themselves if they want to be a part of a religion where stoning someone is still argued as appropriate (and that's not limited to Islam, it includes the other two monotheistic religions). And other threads like women are going to be the majority in hell, or they shouldn't be allowed to have a job.

I respect all of you and wish you the best, but I'm going to have to do reading on my own. Wading through cut/paste land isn't teaching me anything.

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
I'm not emotional about this. Disappointed, but not emotional. I just feel like I saw the wrong picture of Islam before now. I was told it was a peaceful religion, but how can taking someone's life for something that should have been between them and Allah (I admit, that was the woman's real mistake, not keeping it between her and Allah) ever fit into a peaceful religion? Beating someone to death with rocks isn't peaceful. And her punishment would have been taken care of after she died anyways.

I don't think I'm wrong for questioning. I'm allowed to use my brain. I refuse to "just accept" everything I'm told. I have to think things through. I'm not accusing the Prophet or anyone else of anything. You know, though? This is good. Having this where people who want to learn about Islam can see it. That way they can decide for themselves if they want to be a part of a religion where stoning someone is still argued as appropriate (and that's not limited to Islam, it includes the other two monotheistic religions). And other threads like women are going to be the majority in hell, or they shouldn't be allowed to have a job.

I respect all of you and wish you the best, but I'm going to have to do reading on my own. Wading through cut/paste land isn't teaching me anything.

Assalamu Alaikom sister ,
Stoning is also mentioned in the religions before Islam so what's the problem ? The Christianity also has it .
" 'A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death. You are to stone them; their blood will be on their own heads.' "

Leviticus 24 )New International Version)

21 she shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death

Leviticus 20 )New International Version)

I know that we should respect others' lives and we do , Islam does . But as you said it something between us and Allah and he has chosen this punishment . but he is the most merciful he didn't allow it to be directly applied , it has many conditions which are difficult to find .

you’ll think it’s very hard but what's the suitable solution instead of it ? jail ??? think well .. jails will help spreading more homeless children and forbidden relationships .
U can notice that the punishment is hard but the conditions to apply it is hard too .
Why is that ? Allah is the most merciful .. he put this punishment to warn people , also he made applying it difficult give the sinner a chance to be a good person .
Allah is the most merciful , he created us and he knows what best for us ..

By the way , we are allowed to work .. who said we are not ???? you can read the comparative in my signature :)

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Wait, being a part of a peaceful religion doesn't mean that everything would be 'lovely dovey' and there wouldn't be any repercussions for heinous crimes. Islam is also a just religion. Social outlaws and mischief makers are dealt with accordingly.

God has sent down a law onto us and we are to follow it, without ifs and buts. At the same time, Allah Almighty wouldn't legislate something that in unjust on us humans. This is the same creator who shelters us and feed us without fail and gives us uncountable blessings of all sorts, despite our shortcomings in worshiping Him. How can such a merciful Creator and Sustainer sent down a law that causes harm to mankind ? It is impossible.

By your logic, a murderer should probably keep his atrocity a secret or between him and His Lord, rather than come out and tell the truth ? How do you justify that ?

If my memory serves me right, stoning was prescribed in the legislation sent to the Jews and Christians as well. Allah Almighty in His infinite wisdom has sent down a law on us and on previous nations, so that this henious crime is eliminated from the face of the earth.

Plus, I guess we haven't been clear here or our posts are not being properly understood. Once the woman was stoned, there is a high chance of Allah subhaanaho waa taala has forgiven her of that major sin. (Adultery is a major sin in Islam ).

It is better to be stoned then to have an eternal abode in hell fire. (Major sins if not forgiven by Allah Almighty, lead one to hell fire). The women had fear that Allah azz zawajal would take her in to account for her sin, which is why she used to come often to the Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam to hasten her punishment and so that she could be buried with the muslims praying over her.

To call the action taken by our noble Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam as 'murder' is a serious allegation. It is illogical & I don't think any fair minded can arrive at such a conclusion. In addition, I am not sure what you seek to achieve by using that sort of language. I just hope you would be willingly to be more 'fair' & 'open minded' (as you said you are not 'emotional') when you read material on Islam.

May Allah azz zawajal guide us Ameen

Status
Not open for further replies.