The Prophet's...sweat?

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum brothers and sisters...

I've recently started listening to lectures I've downloaded from the 'net. One of them is from a well-known shaykh who I've had the privilege to meet & study with back in January (through Al Maghrib they had a class at my Masjid).

He said that there was a woman who put a cotton cloth around the neck of the Prophet salallahu alayhi wa salaam to absorb his sweat. He said that the woman wrung the sweat out of the cloth and put it in a bottle...it was supposedly "white like a pearl" and the smell was so beautiful that she would put it on her.

Ok sorry but that sounds pretty shirky to me. Our Prophet salallahu alayhi wa salaam was a man. I have read fabricated hadith that say that he spat into a well & made the water sweet, or that say a slave girl drank from the bowl he kept under his bed to relieve himself in during the night and that in doing so she "saved her stomach from the hellfire" (these hadith all capitalize the pronoun "He" instead of "he", the way Christians do talking about Jesus).

If I am wrong here then astagfurallah and will accept the correction but something about wearing the sweat of our Prophet salallahu alayhi wa salaam as perfume crosses a couple lines with me...

Thanks!
D

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
waAlaikum salaam :D

hhhmmm, never heard of it! some pretty strange stuff, especially the one about the slave girl drinking from the bowl.......hhhmm, I too am waiting for the repliesss,
jazakaAllah khairan for poiting this out,

Musulmanin

:salam2:

where I'm from sufis usually use this kind of "magic" stories. It's very disturbing to see them spreading out this sort of misinformation. They (sufis) usually provide no proof whatsoever (especially from the Quran or Sunnah) for their at times ludicrous claims.

:wasalam:

Musulmanin

Here is one of the links about the urine thing - when I brought it up to one of our shaykhs at our masjid he just laughed and said "Daniel! WHERE do you dig up this garbage!!!"

seriously bro, no need to spread this garbage. I don't think it's a good idea to post a link and spread, read this garbage and fill your and other people heads with it. Just an advice.

Almaas

Asalaamualaykum,

Hmm, I've never heard any of that before..and forgive me if i'm wrong, but i'm sure the Prophet (SAW) would never spit in a well.

Walaykumasalaam

BinKhadija

An Akhu
Asslam'u Alykum,

That woman one who collected his :saw: sweat I had heard that one from my mosque Iman and it sounds true to me. I believe, she was blessed. Masha'Allah. On the other hand, other such stories can be just made up by anyone (obviously, not a pure Muslim) for a variety of reasons. One of that just could be to put off people from genuineness of true incidents. Allah'u Aalim.

DanyalSAC

Here is one of the links about the urine thing - when I brought it up to one of our shaykhs at our masjid he just laughed and said "Daniel! WHERE do you dig up this garbage!!!"

seriously bro, no need to spread this garbage. I don't think it's a good idea to post a link and spread, read this garbage and fill your and other people heads with it. Just an advice.

I am sorry you think my asking these questions is me "spreading garbage". Its attitudes like that that keep new Muslims from asking questions.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

I have heard this Hadeeth before, I don't think it is fabricated Akhi Danyal. It should be either a Saheeh or Hasan (good) classified. I would request you to give me some time to get back to you on this and reply back to your thread.

And I am surprised at the reaction of the Shaykh. Because usually they don't term anything as 'garbage', they usually ask the source and then go from there.

Anyhow I will get back to this thread Insha'Allah tallah.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:) that didn't take long.. As I thought the hadeeth is a Saheeh and is found in Saheeh Al Muslim

Book 030, Number 5762:

Anas b. Malik reported that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) came to the house of Umm Sulaim and slept in her bed while she was away from her house. On the other day too he slept in her bed. She came and it was said to her: It is Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) who is having siesta in your house, lying in your bed. She came and found him sweating and his sweat falling on the leather cloth spread on her bed. She opened her scent-bag and began to fill the bottles with it. Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) was startled and woke up and said: Umm Sulaim, what are you doing? She said: Allah's Messenger, we seek blessings for our children through it. Thereupon he said: You have done something right.

Book 030, Number 5763:

Umm Sulaim reported that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) visited her house and (took rest) and she spread a piece of cloth for him and he had had a siesta on it. And he sweated profusely and she collected his sweat and put it in a perfume and in bottles. Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) said: Umm Sulaim, what is this? She said: It is your sweat, which I put in my perfume. Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) sweated in cold weather when revelation descended upon him.

This isn't shirk, dear akhi. The prophets (peace and blessings be upon them all) were all blessed with various qualities and they could be physical. For Example : Prophet Yusuf was given the beauty and handsomeness of half of all human creation. Imagine that !

So Allah swt also blessed Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and gave him some lovely and unique physical attributes like in this case 'sweat like smell of musk'.

It would be shirk if someone took the sweat of another creation and then used to pray to it or something like that. But to collect the prophet's sweat and use it as perfume isn't Shirk, far from it. :)

I will get back on the spitting hadeeth. I should look it up as well.

BinKhadija

An Akhu
:) that didn't take long.. As I thought the hadeeth is a Saheeh and is found in Saheeh Al Muslim

This isn't shirk, dear akhi. The prophets (peace and blessings be upon them all) were all blessed with various qualities and they could be physical. For Example : Prophet Yusuf was given the beauty and handsomeness of half of all human creation. Imagine that !

So Allah swt also blessed Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and gave him some lovely and unique physical attributes like in this case 'sweat like smell of musk'.

It would be shirk if someone took the sweat of another creation and then used to pray to it or something like that. But to collect the prophet's sweat and use it as perfume isn't Shirk, far from it. :)

I tried to find it earlier on, but couldn't. Jazak Allah for providing the hadith and for this clarification. :)

DanyalSAC

Thank you - as I said, if I was wrong I would accept the correction. If you could find the one on spitting I would appreciate it. Before one of our dawah meetings some of the older brothers were discussing it and though they switched to English when I entered the room I don't remember much other than one saying "consider it, why would our Prophet pbuh spit in a well???" I didn't hear the rest of the conversation.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Asalaamu alaikum brothers and sisters...

I've recently started listening to lectures I've downloaded from the 'net. One of them is from a well-known shaykh who I've had the privilege to meet & study with back in January (through Al Maghrib they had a class at my Masjid).

He said that there was a woman who put a cotton cloth around the neck of the Prophet salallahu alayhi wa salaam to absorb his sweat. He said that the woman wrung the sweat out of the cloth and put it in a bottle...it was supposedly "white like a pearl" and the smell was so beautiful that she would put it on her.

Ok sorry but that sounds pretty shirky to me. Our Prophet salallahu alayhi wa salaam was a man. I have read fabricated hadith that say that he spat into a well & made the water sweet, or that say a slave girl drank from the bowl he kept under his bed to relieve himself in during the night and that in doing so she "saved her stomach from the hellfire" (these hadith all capitalize the pronoun "He" instead of "he", the way Christians do talking about Jesus).

If I am wrong here then astagfurallah and will accept the correction but something about wearing the sweat of our Prophet salallahu alayhi wa salaam as perfume crosses a couple lines with me...

Thanks!
D

Brother, I believe that I will not be asked on the Day of Judgment whether I believed on each of those thousands of Hadiths or not.
Abu Bakr (RA) answered so well when the Kufar of Makkah asked him that what would he say if someone told him that he went to Jeroshalum and came back in just one night? He said that he would think of him as a crazy. But when told that this claim is from Prophet Mohammad :saw:, Abu Bakr (RA) said that if Mohammad (SAW) has said this then he would believe it.

So, I always say that IF this is TRUTH then I believe it.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Brother, I really don't believe that story about the urine thing. It just doesn't sound valid to me and I implore you not to believe everything you hear from anyone, even if it's a Sheikh, without validating it yourself first by asking for the source. There are alot of fabricated ahadith out there from the enemies of Islam and thus, a lot of false information is being spread. Know that Bukhari, Muslim, and Tirmidhi are the most reliable of the hadith collectors and I don't think any of them collected that hadith. As for the rest of the scholars, you should check the chain of narration to make sure it's valid.

a_stranger

عن أنس رضي الله عنه قال: دخل علينا رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم فقال عندنا(نام)، فعرق، وجاءت أمي بقارورة(زجاجة)، فجعلت تسلت(تجمع) العرق فيها، فاستيقظ رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم فقال: يا أم سليم، ما هذا الذي تصنعين؟
قالت: هذا عرقك نجعله لطيبنا، وهو أطيب الطيب.
رواه مسلم في كتاب الفضائل، وأحمد.

The hadith about the sweat is found in Sahih Muslem, and I think it is very reasonable for the one who is most close to Allah swt to have 'sweat like smell of musk' .......This is something given by Allah to the most noble man on earth, before a weak one of our sister`s sons died and smelled like perfum after death : he suffered cancer for more than a year and spent his last night prayering to Allah swt.
AlhamduliAllah

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
prophet's peace be upon them hair, nails, spit are all blessed.

its not shirk but brings blessings. sahaba (ra) used to compete with each other for the leftover wudu water of prophet :saw:.

FreedomFighter

عن أنس رضي الله عنه قال: دخل علينا رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم فقال عندنا(نام)، فعرق، وجاءت أمي بقارورة(زجاجة)، فجعلت تسلت(تجمع) العرق فيها، فاستيقظ رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم فقال: يا أم سليم، ما هذا الذي تصنعين؟
قالت: هذا عرقك نجعله لطيبنا، وهو أطيب الطيب.
رواه مسلم في كتاب الفضائل، وأحمد.

The hadith about the sweat is found in Sahih Muslem, and I think it is very reasonable for the one who is most close to Allah swt to have 'sweat like smell of musk' .......This is something given by Allah to the most noble man on earth, before a weak one of our sister`s sons died and smelled like perfum after death : he suffered cancer for more than a year and spent his last night prayering to Allah swt.
AlhamduliAllah

mashaAllah!