They might make me cut off my beard :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

I've been pursuing an opportunity to work in Kuwait. Its an American civilian contracting company that provides services to the American armed forces there. My good friend who works there told me "I know that because we are issued a gas mask and gear for war in case of anything dangerous happening that they want the men clean shaven"

Now...if I DO get a job there, it will help me out in so many ways. I can pay off my debts (getting rid of the riba in my life). I can live in a world where there is an adhan, and I can hear it in my home. I can pray in a masjid 5 times a day (if the American company I work for lets me, inshallah), not just the 2 or 3 times I do now. They offer classes in Arabic so I can finally study (I registered for a local class in January but it didn't happen). I can leave so much baggage behind here in the US so my deen can grow. There are also many other more personal reasons that I feel inappropriate to list here.

But... it will be at the cost of my beard. I have a full sunnah beard; if I grab it and pull it up it will reach my forehead (and I do that sometimes, I can't explain why but its just fun to play with LOL!). Many of the brothers at my masjid are jokingly jealous of how full I grew it in just one year since my shahadah, and even Shaykh Yusuf Estes told me how blessed I was that it grew so full so fast.

Should I pay that price? Ya Allah honestly its a heavy price...

JazakAllah Khairyn...

D.

arzafar

no need to pay the price. The only valid reason i can think of is the debt.

Surely you can apply for other jobs in mideast provided you are skillful in teaching, engineering, medicine and other technical jobs.

plus serving the US military directly or indirectly is haram.

DanyalSAC

no need to pay the price. The only valid reason i can think of is the debt.

Surely you can apply for other jobs in mideast provided you are skillful in teaching, engineering, medicine and other technical jobs.

plus serving the US military directly or indirectly is haram.

Not quite as easy as that. Other jobs in the Mideast require degrees or 5+ years experience. What I'm experienced in doesn't easily translate into other positions.

And I've never heard that the US Military is haram. I will check with my shaykh, inshallah.

muazzi

oh my dearest brother in islam

Think about this,is is better to destroy the sunnah for a worldy gain,somthing which will help you in your grave and on the day of qiyaamah

may allah guide us all

DanyalSAC

I wouldn't say its wordly gain.

But either way its academic at this point. I called my shaykh and he said its universal that the beard is an obligation. So if they do require me to shave it I should look elsewhere.

He said to verify with the recruiter once I talk to them to see if they do have consession for observant Muslim men.

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
Assalamu 3laikom brother ,
I have this Fatwa for Shayekh Ibn Jebreen ( May Allah have mercy upon him )
http://ibn-jebreen.com/ftawa.php?view=vmasal&subid=12023&parent=144

I'll translate it for you , it's from his formal site , you should know that Islam is easy , some forbidden things can be allowed when necessary . I'm proud of you that you're struggling to practise your religion , May Allah reward you . Hearing Athan 5 times a day is one of the greatest feelings , I refused to study medicine in Canada bcz there I cannot hear Athan . I'm sure you'll enjoy living in Kuwait In Sha'a Allah and meeting Muslims there .

Here is the translation :

موضوع الفتوى حكم حلق اللحية للعمل
السؤال س: هل حلق اللحية للعمل يجوز أم لا يجوز ؟
الاجابـــة لا يجوز للعمل ولا لغيره؛ لما ورد من النهي عن حلق اللحى؛ حيث إنه من زي المجوس، ففي حلقها تشبه بالمشركين، ولأن اللحية زينة للرجال وفارقة بين الرجال والنساء، لكن عند الضرورة يجوز بقدر الحاجة، فالضرورات تبيح المحظورات؛ لقوله تعالى: إِلَّا مَنْ أُكْرِهَ وَقَلْبُهُ مُطْمَئِنٌّ بِالْإِيمَانِ وقال النبي - صلى الله عليه وسلم- : عُفي لأمتي عن الخطأ والنسيان وما استكرهوا عليه والله أعلم

The subject of the Fatwa : Rulling of shaving beard for the work .
The question : Is shaving beards for work allowed or not allowed ?
The answer : It's not allowed for the work or whatever , as stated it is forbidden to shave their beards . shaving it is similar to the polytheists , it's the difference between men and women , but when necessary may be as much as needed . Allah said : " except under compulsion, his heart remaining firm in Faith "

The prophet Muhammad - peace be upon him - said ( pardon my translation of the hadith i'll try to give you the main meaning ) : " It's forgiven to my Ommah the mistaking , forgetting and what they are forced to "

Abdul25

Logical Believer
Growing a beard is a Sunna, not a Fardh (mandate). A Sunna, by definition, means that if you do it, you get a reward but if you don't do it, you are not punished. Fardh, on the other hand, is what if you do it you get a reward and if you don't do it you are punished. That is, in fact, how the jurists have been able to distinguish the two in the discipline of Usool-ul-Fiqh (Foundations of Deduction): If a command is given but was not accompanied by a warning or was not emphasized, then it must be a Sunna and not a Fardh.

beautiful post..

JazakAllah khayr brother..

Abdul25

Logical Believer
Assalamu 3laikom brother ,
I have this Fatwa for Shayekh Ibn Jebreen ( May Allah have mercy upon him )
http://ibn-jebreen.com/ftawa.php?view=vmasal&subid=12023&parent=144

I'll translate it for you , it's from his formal site , you should know that Islam is easy , some forbidden things can be allowed when necessary . I'm proud of you that you're struggling to practise your religion , May Allah reward you . Hearing Athan 5 times a day is one of the greatest feelings , I refused to study medicine in Canada bcz there I cannot hear Athan . I'm sure you'll enjoy living in Kuwait In Sha'a Allah and meeting Muslims there .

Here is the translation :

موضوع الفتوى حكم حلق اللحية للعمل
السؤال س: هل حلق اللحية للعمل يجوز أم لا يجوز ؟
الاجابـــة لا يجوز للعمل ولا لغيره؛ لما ورد من النهي عن حلق اللحى؛ حيث إنه من زي المجوس، ففي حلقها تشبه بالمشركين، ولأن اللحية زينة للرجال وفارقة بين الرجال والنساء، لكن عند الضرورة يجوز بقدر الحاجة، فالضرورات تبيح المحظورات؛ لقوله تعالى: إِلَّا مَنْ أُكْرِهَ وَقَلْبُهُ مُطْمَئِنٌّ بِالْإِيمَانِ وقال النبي - صلى الله عليه وسلم- : عُفي لأمتي عن الخطأ والنسيان وما استكرهوا عليه والله أعلم

The subject of the Fatwa : Rulling of shaving beard for the work .
The question : Is shaving beards for work allowed or not allowed ?
The answer : It's not allowed for the work or whatever , as stated it is forbidden to shave their beards . shaving it is similar to the polytheists , it's the difference between men and women , but when necessary may be as much as needed . Allah said : " except under compulsion, his heart remaining firm in Faith "

The prophet Muhammad - peace be upon him - said ( pardon my translation of the hadith i'll try to give you the main meaning ) : " It's forgiven to my Ommah the mistaking , forgetting and what they are forced to "

learned a new thing..

JazakAllah khayr brother..

Abdul25

Logical Believer
oh my dearest brother in islam

Think about this,is is better to destroy the sunnah for a worldy gain,somthing which will help you in your grave and on the day of qiyaamah

may allah guide us all

:salam2:

ask those who are under debt and are going through a lot of hard time in life without money.. it is a universal fact that finances are to be good to live a good life..

i have been through those times.. no body helps.yes cutting beard is not allowed.. any knowledgeable brother can comment better..

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Walaykumsalaam respected brother Danyal,

I can understand how difficult it must be on you to decide what to do as it seems like you have to give up a beard to work in a muslim country.

Brother, as above mentioned, you should try to obtain some fatwa if it is permissible to work for a company which is serving a foreign military.

Also, on the part of the beard, if it is okay to sacrifice it in order to live in a muslim country.

I pray that Allah subaanahu waa ta'ala makes it easy for you and guide you to whatever is best for you in this circumstance. Ameen.

Waslaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

obeid

You must ask scholars if you do not want to help in killing your muslim brothers and sisterrs in Iraq and Afranistan.
May Allah help you.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
What is the ruling on shaving the beard or removing part of it?

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaving the beard is haraam because of the saheeh ahaadeeth that clearly state this, and because of the general application of texts that forbid resembling the kuffaar. One of these reports is the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Be different from the mushrikeen: let your beards grow and trim your moustaches.” According to another report: “Trim your moustaches and let your beards grow.” There are other hadeeth which convey the same meaning, which is to leave the beard as it is and let it grow long, without shaving, plucking or cutting any part of it. Ibn Hazm reported that there was scholarly consensus that it is an obligation (fard) to trim the moustache and let the beard grow. He quoted a number of ahaadeeth as evidence, including the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) quoted above, and the hadeeth of Zayd ibn Arqam in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does not remove any of his moustache is not one of us.” (Classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi). Ibn Hazm said in al-Furoo’: “This is the way of our colleagues [i.e., the Hanbalis].”

Is it haraam (to shave it)? Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Qur’aan, Sunnah and ijmaa’ (scholarly consensus) all indicate that we must differ from the kuffaar in all aspects and not imitate them, because imitating them on the outside will make us imitate them in their bad deeds and habits, and even in beliefs, which will result in befriending them in our hearts, just as loving them in our hearts will lead to imitating them on the outside. Al-Tirmidhi reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “He is not one of us who imitates people other than us. Do not imitate the Jews and Christians.” According to another version: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad) ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab rejected the testimony of the person who plucked his beard. Imaam Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said in al-Tamheed: “It is forbidden to shave the beard, and no one does this except men who are effeminate” i.e., those who imitate women. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had a thick beard (reported by Muslim from Jaabir). It is not permitted to remove any part of the beard because of the general meaning of the texts which forbid doing so.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/133

Islamqa

MahyarEL-Prince

Studying Islam...
What is the ruling on shaving the beard or removing part of it?

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaving the beard is haraam because of the saheeh ahaadeeth that clearly state this, and because of the general application of texts that forbid resembling the kuffaar. One of these reports is the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Be different from the mushrikeen: let your beards grow and trim your moustaches.” According to another report: “Trim your moustaches and let your beards grow.” There are other hadeeth which convey the same meaning, which is to leave the beard as it is and let it grow long, without shaving, plucking or cutting any part of it. Ibn Hazm reported that there was scholarly consensus that it is an obligation (fard) to trim the moustache and let the beard grow. He quoted a number of ahaadeeth as evidence, including the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) quoted above, and the hadeeth of Zayd ibn Arqam in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does not remove any of his moustache is not one of us.” (Classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi). Ibn Hazm said in al-Furoo’: “This is the way of our colleagues [i.e., the Hanbalis].”

Is it haraam (to shave it)? Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Qur’aan, Sunnah and ijmaa’ (scholarly consensus) all indicate that we must differ from the kuffaar in all aspects and not imitate them, because imitating them on the outside will make us imitate them in their bad deeds and habits, and even in beliefs, which will result in befriending them in our hearts, just as loving them in our hearts will lead to imitating them on the outside. Al-Tirmidhi reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “He is not one of us who imitates people other than us. Do not imitate the Jews and Christians.” According to another version: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad) ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab rejected the testimony of the person who plucked his beard. Imaam Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said in al-Tamheed: “It is forbidden to shave the beard, and no one does this except men who are effeminate” i.e., those who imitate women. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had a thick beard (reported by Muslim from Jaabir). It is not permitted to remove any part of the beard because of the general meaning of the texts which forbid doing so.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/133

Islamqa
MashAllah

GROWING THE BEARD IS FARD
Who ever writes that it's optional is only because he doesn't grow it, trust me I used to beat around the bush aswell. If you imitate the kaffer, then truely you are one..
Allah says in the Quran "If you act like them, you are one of them"
So indeed I don't want to make you feel trapped, but we are just conveying the message of the rasool, and I would probably get bad deeds for concealing the truth while I know it... There is nothing better for your imaan then having a full beard,

IF YOU TRIM, EXPECT YOUR IMAN TO GET A LITTLE TRIM ASWELL !!!

Abdul25

Logical Believer
Allah says in the Quran "If you act like them, you are one of them"

What about wearing jeans, T shirts, and many things which we are intimating them, can some one please classify which things come into the category of intimating and which dont, because it is confusing for me,
and opinion here is different so which shaikh to follow, like sister KSA_lover posted one fatwa which is totally different from the one posted by brother Abu-Talib, and what about the post posted by brother ayman1..
i really need some help in this regard

w salam

Abu Talib

Feeling low
What about wearing jeans, T shirts, and many things which we are intimating them, can some one please classify which things come into the category of intimating and which dont, because it is confusing for me,
and opinion here is different so which shaikh to follow, like sister KSA_lover posted one fatwa which is totally different from the one posted by brother Abu-Talib, and what about the post posted by brother ayman1..
i really need some help in this regard

w salam

:salam2:

Brother check Islamqa has tons of questions answered with reference with Quran and Sunnah

arzafar

letting the beard grow is wajib (obligatory).

basically 'not letting the beard grow' goes against the prophet's clear commands. so shaving, trimming etc are all out. I have researched on this topic a lot and there are no two opinions about the fact that letting the beard grow is obligatory for muslim men.

with regards to the original issue raised by brother danyal, i dont think your situation is that of compulsion so all rulings apply. You have a stable job and can practice religion freely. you never know what atmosphere you will face in the 'foreigners only area' in kuwait. For the debt and job, well seek help from Allah. i just wanted to point out that this is not the only job on offer. Be patient and try other avenues. Most mideast states (qatar, kuwait, ksa) love Americans.

p.s. I hope you are white. Some of the racism faced by dark skinned people in arab countries is appalling.

DanyalSAC

I am white. My friend who is helping me is Samoan. She has said that Americans are not allowed to step into any masajid but she wasn't sure if that meant American Muslims too. If I'm not allowed to join salaat in a masjid there then that would be a huge hardship.

Status
Not open for further replies.