They might make me cut off my beard :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

Hanafi madhab:

To trim the beard when it is less than a fist’s length, as done by some modern people and hermaphrodites is not permissible in the opinion of all the jurists. To shave the beard as done by unorthodox Jews, Hindus and others is also not permissible.

Malikimadhab:

To shave the beard is haram and to trim it in such a manner that it changes one’s natural and normal facial features is also haram. It is also quoted in Kitabul Ib’daa’, that without doubt the four Madhabs are agreed that the beard should be lengthened and that shaving it is haram.

Shafe’ee madhab:

It is quoted in Al Ibaab’, that Imaam ibn Ar’rifaah says that Imaam Shafe’ee, in his book, Kitabul Umm, has categorically stated that shaving the beard is haram.

Al Azraiy says that the correct position in the Shafe’ee madhab is that to shave the beard without a valid medical reason is haram. Similar verdict of prohibition has been issued by Zarakhshi, Baihaqi in his book, Shu’ab Al Iman, and by his teacher Qa’ffal Shashi in Muhasin As Shar’iyyah.

Hanbali madhab:

It is narrated in Shar’hul Muntahaa’ and Shar’hul Manzoomatul Adaab, the most accepted view is that it is haram to shave the beard. Some Ulama like the author of ‘Insaf’, have categorically stated that it is haram. There is no report from anyone to the contrary.

Sheikhul Islam ibn Taymiyyah says, "Shaving the beard is haram."

Ibn Hazm has narrated Ijma (consensus of the Muslims) regarding the obligation of trimming the moustache and keeping the beard, he brings the following ahaadith in support of this Ijma:

Translation: "Oppose the Mushrikeen polytheists), trim the moustache and lengthen the beard."
(Muslim)
Translation: "Whosoever does not trim his moustache, he is not from amongst us."
(Ahmed Tirmidhi and Nasai)
The following are some fatawas given, issued by some prominent Muftis of the Arab world, in recent time regarding the necessity of keeping the beard.

Sheikh ibn Abdur Rahman Al Banna writes in Fathur Rabbani, "Shaving the beard is strictly haram. This is the madhab of Hanbalis and Zahiriyyah. Sheikh Nasir Uddin Albani writes, "Due to the above references, it is wajib to lengthen the beard and to shave is haram."

Sheikh Abu Bakr Al Jazari writes, "One should leave his beard until it fills his face, because the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam has ordered, shorten your moustaches and lengthen your beards."

We can conclude from what has been said that to keep a beard is compulsory and to trim it or shave it is haram.

Keeping the beard has been the practice of the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam, as it has also been the practice of the earlier Prophets before him.

When Musa alaihis salaam returned from his journey of Mount Tur and found the Israelites engrossed in idolatry, he became furious and in severe anger he pulled the beard of his deputy (and brother) Haroon alaihis salaam who said:

Translation: "O son of my mother, seize me not by my beard nor my hair." In the books of ahaadith, numerous hadith describe the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam as having a copious beard.

Translation: Umm Ma’bad radiyallahu anhu says that the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam had a copious beard.

At an age when moral and spiritual decline is at its peak, acting upon a single prophetic tradition could insure success in the hereafter. It is narrated in a hadith,

Translation: "One who is steadfast upon my Sunnah at the decline of my Ummah, for him there is the reward of a hundred martyrs."

I am Google wise. If discussion leads to Truth, Subhanallahu. If only my brain could retain what my stupid computer can. I fail Allah everyday.

More importantly as the wise brothers and sisters have mentioned above, I would be ,were I in your position, more concern contributing in anyway to the death of a brother or sister of Islam,which you yourself has said. Thank for initiating this. From my experience in Vietnam, even though I stopped carrying a gun when I found Christianity, which I could do as a combat field medic, I regret that I continued to contribute to war. As a Muslim, I am forbidden to support in indirectly to the harming or killing of Muslims. And, yet taxes are a legal mandate. When a Christian, I had the "out" of quoting "be obedient to those whom Allah has given authority over you." But, even that is qualified by the understanding that it is meant "insofar as is possible without disobedience to or violation of the laws of Allah.

Allahu Akbar! Subhan Allah! Allhamdulillah.

I am making a conscious effort to try and share, as you each do, what is accepted as Islam based on understanding of Al Qur'an and Strong Hadith.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Growing a beard is a Sunna, not a Fardh (mandate). A Sunna, by definition, means that if you do it, you get a reward but if you don't do it, you are not punished. Fardh, on the other hand, is what if you do it you get a reward and if you don't do it you are punished. That is, in fact, how the jurists have been able to distinguish the two in the discipline of Usool-ul-Fiqh (Foundations of Deduction): If a command is given but was not accompanied by a warning or was not emphasized, then it must be a Sunna and not a Fardh.

Salaamu 'alaykkum, so are you saying that the greatest of scholars from all times, including the 4 Imaams, have erred with regards to this matter. Scholars from the time of the sahaabah till the contemporary scholars, have not studied Usool-ul-Fiqh properly? Shaykhul Islaam ibn Taymiyyah rahimahullaah said that there is ijmaa' upon this matter. Could you please kindly take time to refute his statement? Even the Dhaahiris claim ijmaa' that shaving the beard is haraam.

The fact that he found no problem imitating the Jews and the Christians in a religious ritual refutes all the talk about forbidding Muslims from imitating non-Muslims, doesn't it?

^^ Are your using your own qiyaas in order to justify the fact that the beard is not waajib?

I have only come across difference of opinion of trimming the beard to a certain length, but I have never come across difference of opinion in shaving the beard. I hope you are not following an odd opinion, just like the very very weak opinion you tend to follow when it comes to music.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
If you read every word in the fatwa, you will notice that it does not contain any evidence of a warning against the shaving of beards. In fact, the only warnings are:
  • Against not trimming the mustache,
  • Against resembling non-Muslims.
As for the latter warning, non-Muslims grow their beards, shave them, and trim them. You must have seen hundreds of them do that. In fact, religious Jews are required to grow their beards, so if we do too, we imitate them, don't we?

If it is established that we must differ from the Kuffaar in all aspects, then we must not use microwave ovens, cell phones or washing machines. We must also wear other than shirts and pants!

When the prophet, peace be upon him, wanted a way to announce the prayer to the growing Muslim community in Medina, his first thought was to announce it with a horn like that the Jews used. He then thought of using bells like those used by the Christians. He settled on the Adhaan. The fact that he found no problem imitating the Jews and the Christians in a religious ritual refutes all the talk about forbidding Muslims from imitating non-Muslims, doesn't it?

The notion that Muslims must be distinct from non-Muslims reflects insecurity, IMHO. A Muslim is not in danger of losing his faith by remotely resembling a non-Muslim, unless his faith is shaky in the first place. A Muslim is supposed to be so strong in faith and so exemplary in conduct that non-Muslims start to want to resemble him!

I hope this is just your opinion not justification.

Abdul25

Logical Believer
If you read every word in the fatwa, you will notice that it does not contain any evidence of a warning against the shaving of beards. In fact, the only warnings are:
  • Against not trimming the mustache,
  • Against resembling non-Muslims.
As for the latter warning, non-Muslims grow their beards, shave them, and trim them. You must have seen hundreds of them do that. In fact, religious Jews are required to grow their beards, so if we do too, we imitate them, don't we?

If it is established that we must differ from the Kuffaar in all aspects, then we must not use microwave ovens, cell phones or washing machines. We must also wear other than shirts and pants!

When the prophet, peace be upon him, wanted a way to announce the prayer to the growing Muslim community in Medina, his first thought was to announce it with a horn like that the Jews used. He then thought of using bells like those used by the Christians. He settled on the Adhaan. The fact that he found no problem imitating the Jews and the Christians in a religious ritual refutes all the talk about forbidding Muslims from imitating non-Muslims, doesn't it?

The notion that Muslims must be distinct from non-Muslims reflects insecurity, IMHO. A Muslim is not in danger of losing his faith by remotely resembling a non-Muslim, unless his faith is shaky in the first place. A Muslim is supposed to be so strong in faith and so exemplary in conduct that non-Muslims start to want to resemble him!

:salam2:

i like your post..
it is informative...
i understand what you want to say..
JazakAllah kahyr brother..

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
LOL! I have often found that folks who mandate a beard are the same ones who prohibit music. The fact is that the music fatwa is deeply flawed once you scrutinize it and the beard mandate cannot be substantiated from the evidence; it is only a Sunna. No scholar has the authority to declare anything mandatory or forbidden. That authority rests solely with God and His messenger. God says in the holy Quran,
10_59.png
"Say, 'Have you seen what God has sent down to you of provision of which you have made [some] lawful and [some] unlawful?" Say, "Has God permitted you [to do so], or do you invent [something] about God?" (10:59)

The best any scholar can say, and most of them did say it, is that their conclusion is their opinion and is based on their understanding of the evidence available, if there is any.

Lastly, Waajib is not the same thing as Fardh. Waajib is a term used only by Abu-Haneefa and it means emphasized Sunna. For the benefit of all, here are the five plateaus of rulings as defined in Usool-ul-Fiqh:

1. Fardh (mandate): Rewarded if you do it. Punished if you don't.
  2. Sunna/Mustahabb/Mandoob (Recommended): Rewarded if you do it. Not punished if you don't.
  3. Mubaah (Allowed): No reward or punishment are attached to it and it is the default ruling in Islam, also know as Al-Baraa'a Al-Asliyya (the original allowance).
  4. Makrooh (Discouraged): Rewarded if you do not do it. Not punished if you do.
  5. Haraam (Forbidden): Rewarded if you don't do it. Punished if you do.

It's very disciplined and logical. Moving a ruling from one plateau to another requires a strong evidence. Opinion and interpretation are not evidence.

Many Muslims think that forbidding something is safer than allowing it, but Islamic law is based on the assumption of innocence of the accused, allowance of actions, cleanliness of places, unless a solid proof otherwise can be furnished. The burden of proof is on the claimant, just like it is on the plaintiff.

Shaykhul Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah's explanation of ijmaa' completely annihilates your "opinion"...

"If we say Qur’aan, Sunnah and ijmaa’, they all stem from the same source, because the Messenger agrees with everything that is in the Qur’aan, and the ummah is unanimously agreed upon it in general. There is no one among the believers who does not believe it is obligatory to follow the Book. And everything that the Prophet enjoined in his Sunnah, the Qur’aan obliged us to follow it. So the believers are unanimously agreed upon that, and everything on which the Muslims are unanimously agreed can only be true and in accordance with what is in the Qur’aan and Sunnah. "

"LOL! I have often found that folks who mandate a beard are the same ones who prohibit music."

And often I find folks who make halal the shaving of the beard are the same ones who make it 'halaal' to listen to music by sticking to an odd opinion of a scholar who is not an expert in hadeeth and says that the hadeeth in bukhaari is weak just because he did not know the kunya of Imaam bukhaari's teacher ¬_¬ LOL

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
Assalamu 'Alaykum,

Brother Ayman has always, in my opinion, taken a balanced view of Islam. I want to make clear that I was not directing my post toward any particular brother or sister. Brother Ayman has taught me to be more precise in my language and to avoid parroting that which I find on the Web without researching it.

I am trying to base my life on Al Qur'aan and Sunnah because of what I have learned here at TTI. I have removed pictures of animals from my wall and replaced them with Islamic Calligraphy and given my animal statue collection away also as a direct result of what I have learned from the brothers and sisters here.

I have been incorrect so many times that I have lost count. It seems that there is room for difference of opinion on matters that are not directly addressed in Al Qur'aan and Strong Hadith.

Was Sallam

Abu Talib

Feeling low
LOL! I have often found that folks who mandate a beard are the same ones who prohibit music. The fact is that the music fatwa is deeply flawed once you scrutinize it and the beard mandate cannot be substantiated from the evidence; it is only a Sunna. No scholar has the authority to declare anything mandatory or forbidden. That authority rests solely with God and His messenger. God says in the holy Quran,
10_59.png
"Say, 'Have you seen what God has sent down to you of provision of which you have made [some] lawful and [some] unlawful?" Say, "Has God permitted you [to do so], or do you invent [something] about God?" (10:59)

The best any scholar can say, and most of them did say it, is that their conclusion is their opinion and is based on their understanding of the evidence available, if there is any.

Lastly, Waajib is not the same thing as Fardh. Waajib is a term used only by Abu-Haneefa and it means emphasized Sunna. For the benefit of all, here are the five plateaus of rulings as defined in Usool-ul-Fiqh:

2. Sunna/Mustahabb/Mandoob (Recommended): Rewarded if you do it. Not punished if you don't.
  3. Mubaah (Allowed): No reward or punishment are attached to it and it is the default ruling in Islam, also know as Al-Baraa'a Al-Asliyya (the original allowance).

It's very disciplined and logical. Moving a ruling from one plateau to another requires a strong evidence. Opinion and interpretation are not evidence.

Many Muslims think that forbidding something is safer than allowing it, but Islamic law is based on the assumption of innocence of the accused, allowance of actions, cleanliness of places, unless a solid proof otherwise can be furnished. The burden of proof is on the claimant, just like it is on the plaintiff.

Perhaps can you listen to these and comment also

[yt]WKJsUX7WhaY[/yt]
[yt]aSoLFBFI1lk[/yt]
[yt]m35C6uw0p6I[/yt]

So as what you meant then they are all wrong or you know better then them in light of knowledge from Quran and Sunnah

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Perhaps can you listen to these and comment also

[yt]WKJsUX7WhaY[/yt]
[yt]aSoLFBFI1lk[/yt]
[yt]m35C6uw0p6I[/yt]

So as what you meant then they are all wrong or you know better then them in light of knowledge from Quran and Sunnah

Forget about the fact that they are all wrong, according to our brother here, the 4 imaams are wrong, ibn taymiyya, ibn qayyim, contermporary scholars are wrong.

If the brother still argues about how it does not imitate the kuffaar (which is a weak argumenet in itself, because majority of the kuffaar do not have beards) then the opposition of Fitraah still stands...

A’ishah " reported that Allah's Messenger :saw2:said: “There are ten qualities of fitrah: trimming the mustaches, sparing the beard, siwak (brushing the teeth), inhaling water (to clean the nose) [and rinsing the mouth], cutting the nails, washing the finger knuckles, plucking the armpit hair, shaving the pubic hair, washing the private parts with water, [and circumcision].” [Muslim, Abu Dawud, Ahmad, Ibn Abi Shaybah, and others. The part between square brackets is not in Muslim (Sahah ul-Jami `no. 2222)]

Abu Hurayrah and al-Aswad Bin Sari reported that Allah's
Messenger :saw2: said: “Every child is born with the pure fitrah (nature) - until he becomes able to express himself. It is his parents
who then turn him into a Jew, a Christian, a Magian, or a pagan.”
[al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Allaah, subhaanah says: “The pure nature according to which Allah has created the people. There is no change in Allah's creation.” [ar-Rum 30:30]

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Wa 'alaykkumus salaam wa rahmatullaah brother danyal, sorry for straying away from the topic. I suppose this issue falls under 'freedom of religion' and thus your boss cannot force you to shave your bear, in shaa Allaah. Here is a template letter that Muhammed Jibaaly gives in his book that may be given to your boss, manager etc...

Date:

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN​

This is to inform that the Islamic faith requires of every Muslim man growing asubstantial beard. This is based on the command of the Messenger Muhammad (peace be upon him): “Trim your moustaches and leave alone your beards.”

Muslim employees and subordinates who choose to abide by this should be permitted to do so by their superiors. Freedom of religion is protected by our Constitution. Help and cooperation to facilitate for the Muslims performing their religious duties is appreciated.

Questions and inquiries are welcome to be directed to us.

Signature

Name

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

I was told that an employer has the right to enforce a dress code and safety issues; consequently, Disney can have a dress code that forbids facial hair and the employer can require that anything which interferes with safety can be forbidden by the employers. An ill fitting respiratory protection equipment seems like a good reason to require shaving. Which is why I feel that there should be a provision in The Military Code of Uniform Justice to allow a revert to Islam to leave the military under honorable conditions since we are prohibited by The Perfect Deen of Islam from participating in anything which harms or kills our Muslim Brothers and Sisters.

I do know of many seemingly fine Muslims who have shaven to keep their civilian non-military related jobs. I am so busy trying to get the beam out of my own eye that I really don't care to remove the splinter from my brothers and sisters eyes against their will. After all, each of us must answer for our own choices. But, discussions are great to help us research the answers.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
I am white. My friend who is helping me is Samoan. She has said that Americans are not allowed to step into any masajid but she wasn't sure if that meant American Muslims too. If I'm not allowed to join salaat in a masjid there then that would be a huge hardship.
A Masjid is Allah's house and I no one has any authority to stop any Muslim from entering into a Masjid. So don't worry about that, unless the restriction is from American side.
Brother Kuwait is an American territory anyway LOL, but seriosly I don't think this will happen.

What is the ruling on shaving the beard or removing part of it?

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaving the beard is haraam because of the saheeh ahaadeeth that clearly state this, and because of the general application of texts that forbid resembling the kuffaar.
Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/133

Islamqa

O'boy... here we go again.

As brother ayman has said... and I ask the same question:
IS THERE ANY PUNISHMENT SPECIFIED FOR SHAVING ONE'S BEARD ???
If not then how can any one say it is a FARD?

It is obligatory (wajib) since it is recommended by our beloved Prophet :saw: so we should keep the beard, but to classify it as a FARD and calling shaving beard as HARAAM is little too much and I would say interfering in the divine commandments.

Some one will cut and paste here an another opinion (fatwa) about it, but that will not change the fact unless this question is answered.

:wasalam:

Abu Talib

Feeling low

A Masjid is Allah's house and I no one has any authority to stop any Muslim from entering into a Masjid. So don't worry about that, unless the restriction is from American side.
Brother Kuwait is an American territory anyway LOL, but seriosly I don't think this will happen.

It is obligatory (wajib) since it is recommended by our beloved Prophet :saw: so we should keep the beard, but to classify it as a FARD and calling shaving beard as HARAAM is little too much and I would say interfering in the divine commandments.

Some one will cut and paste here an another opinion (fatwa) about it, but that will not change the fact unless this question is answered.

You or me don't issue fatwas who have half knowledge. Its by Scholars of Ahle Sunnah Wal Jamah. There is enough to put up to prove it I can't force you down to believe it. Just compare your knowledge with the Scholars then start refuting them. Knowledge Vs Knowledge

MahyarEL-Prince

Studying Islam...
10_59.png

Let me guess you shave your beard/mostache ? No offence, but you have the 4 great scholars saying it's haram..
When the rasool said "You are not amongts me" Thats a very strong statement. I am not a professional at fiqh, but I do take the word of the 4 great scholars obviously if it's backed by proof.
No offence once again brother but I believe you are being very ignorant to this fact. Do you think it's easy to grow the beard for everyone? No but we do it for the sake of the rasool in order to please Allah ta'ala.
Anyways since you said it's not fard then I guess your our new top islamic scholar and expert at fiqh !

MahyarEL-Prince

Studying Islam...
Let me guess you shave your beard/mostache ? No offence, but you have the 4 great scholars saying it's haram..
When the rasool said "You are not amongts me" Thats a very strong statement. I am not a professional at fiqh, but I do take the word of the 4 great scholars obviously if it's backed by proof.
No offence once again brother but I believe you are being very ignorant to this fact. Do you think it's easy to grow the beard for everyone? No but we do it for the sake of the rasool in order to please Allah ta'ala.
Anyways since you said it's not fard then I guess your our new top islamic scholar and expert at fiqh !
sorry if that offended you akhi forgive me, but I hope you got my point!! <3 ! :)

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

What it is your definition of Waajib? And what is your definition of Fard? So are you saying that if I neglect an act which is waajib, I am not sinning, and by me sinning, I may be punished? Fard and waajib are more or less the same. Is there any specified punishment for eating haraam food?

kayleigh

So... not about beards, but, what kind of job is this exactly? I'm just curious. Civilian contractors could mean anything from something like Blackwater to a cook. Either way, from what I know about contractors connected to the military, you shouldn't expect to be able to go to the masjid or "blend in" with the culture or anything like that. They usually expect you to keep a distance between yourself and the locals.

arzafar

So... not about beards, but, what kind of job is this exactly? I'm just curious. Civilian contractors could mean anything from something like Blackwater to a cook. Either way, from what I know about contractors connected to the military, you shouldn't expect to be able to go to the masjid or "blend in" with the culture or anything like that. They usually expect you to keep a distance between yourself and the locals.

yes that's exactly what i meant by 'foreigners only' areas.

safiya58

well I can understand you want this job. However if I would be in your place I would be less concerned about my beard but about the fact that I´ve to serve the american millitary. Even if this serving is indirectly. I would never ever think about it no matter what I´ll get for it. I don´t want to discourage you. I can also not tell you if it is haram or halal. But atleast I advice you to ask Allah (pray istickara) Inshaallah what is ckair for you will happen.

hana*

Danyal, go for it, if it helps you be around good muslims and to hear the adhan (which is a great blessing in itself) and to do your fara'id in the Masajid then may Allah grant you this.

DanyalSAC

We kinda got a bit out of hand here, didn't we subhanAllah...

From what I've been told by my friend who lives there, the only place that's out of bounds for them is the Iraqi and KSA borders, they're not allowed to approach them. But they drive into the city all the time. I asked if she thinks I would be forbidden the masajid as a Muslim and she said that to the best of HER knowledge if I proved that I am Muslim (ie use the same certificate I must use for entry to Mecca or Medina) then I will not have any problems. She said, and this is from her email: "No restrictions accept to respect the local culture".

But either way - the most recent communication from her told me basically not to jump the gun, nobody knows how they will react if I tell them I'm an observant Muslim and choose my beard. They may just say "oh in that case, no problem!". Allahu alim.

I do appreciate everyone's input, even if were just to tell me hadith and rulings I was already aware of (I am not all that new of a Muslim, I know the opinions on the beard and the hadith from which the opinions come). My original question was is it worth the price.... and alhamdulillah, I got my answers. Thank you!

JazakAllah khairyn!
D.

Now if we don't play nice I'm taking my ball and going straight home!

Status
Not open for further replies.