Uh Oh!!!!

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Inshallah all of my brothers and sisters here at TTI are in good health and strong Iman!

Im writing for my poor sister in law actually! All day today she fasted Ramadan but when it was close to time to break the fast she was preparing some avacado puree and without thinking she licked her fingers and drank some of the avacado accidently!!!! She is so mad at herself but I thought that I heard something during my first Ramadan that said if its not intentional and it was only a small amount it is not necessary to make up the fasting day.

Please tell me does she need to make up the entire day for one small slip up?

Wa salam

JenGiove

:salam2:

Sorry but islamqa's server must have been over used cause I couldn'tr connect! lol! Ramadan searches...

The question is a bit gross, even for me, the nail biter so I've highlighted what I consider to be the more relevant parts.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/78479/unintentional%20fast%20breaking

If he swallows bits of his skin, does that invalidate his fast?
ar - en - ur - zh - es

If I eat a small bit of my skin, smaller than one-quarter of a fingernail, will that invalidate my fast?.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible for a fasting person to allow any food, drink or medicine to enter his stomach. Eating means introducing any substance into the stomach by way of the mouth, even if it is harmful or not beneficial, such as pebbles, nails, skin and so on. This is the view of the four imams and no difference of opinion is known among them.

See: Haashiyat Ibn Qaasim ‘ala al-Rawd al-Murbi’ (3/389)

Al-Shiraazi al-Shaafa’i (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

It makes no difference whether he eats something edible or inedible. If he swallows soil or a pebble or a coin, his fast is invalidated, because fasting means refraining from everything that reaches the stomach, but this person did not refrain. End quote.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) commented on this by saying:

Al-Shaafa’i and his companions (may Allaah have mercy on them) said: If a fasting person swallows things that are not usually eaten, such as coins, soil, pebbles, grass, metal, thread and so on, he has broken his fast and there is no dispute among us on this point. This is the view of Abu Haneefah, Maalik, Ahmad, Dawood and the majority of earlier and later scholars. End quote.

Al-Majmoo’ (6/340)

Based on this, swallowing this bit of skin is regarded as breaking the fast, but if a person swallows it unintentionally, then his fast is valid and there is no sin on him.

The scholars of the Standing Committee said:

If there are ulcers on his gums or they bleed when he uses the miswaak, it is not permissible to swallow the blood and he has to spit it out. But if it enters his stomach without him meaning it to or swallowing it deliberately, there is no sin on him. The same applies to vomit, if it goes back into his stomach without him meaning it to, then his fast is still valid. End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 10/254.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

JenGiove

Assalamu Aleykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaathuh sister. There is a differance of opinion amongst scholars, but the best opinion is that the person who drinks/eats accidently/unintentionally just has to do an extra fast after Ramadan. And so if they do, then they get rewarded for fasting in Ramadan, and also for making up that fast on a day outside of Ramadan. And Allah (SWT) knows best.

Asalaamu alaikum,

Could you please provide proofs?

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
Sister,I found this hadith,hope it will be helpful inshaAllah:

Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said,

"If somebody eats or drinks forgetfully then he should complete his Saum (fast), for what he has eaten or drank, has been given to him by Allah."

[Sahih Al Bukhari, Vol. 3, Book of Fasting, Hadith No. 1933]

:wasalam:

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

If it was unintentional, then the fast should be still valid. Thank you brother kashif for posting the relevant hadeeth above.

I have also emailed Sh Assim Al Hakeem with this question as well. I will post his response her InshaAllah as soon as I hear from him.

Wasalaamalaykum

Isra

aka Tree2008
Sister,I found this hadith,hope it will be helpful inshaAllah:

Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said,

"If somebody eats or drinks forgetfully then he should complete his Saum (fast), for what he has eaten or drank, has been given to him by Allah."

[Sahih Al Bukhari, Vol. 3, Book of Fasting, Hadith No. 1933]

:wasalam:

JAZAKALLAH KHAIRAN Brother for that is the exact hadith I was looking for!!!!!!! Alhamdulillah!!!

You know I remembered it because when I first became a Muslim I was living alone in the USA so my very first Ramadan I did it all by myself and one morning I woke up, ate, prayed Fajr then went back to sleep and when I woke the second time I drank some water without even thinking about my fast!!!!! I posted about drinking the water on TTI because I was so sad thinking I had broken my fast! One of the wonderful brothers or sisters here at TTI posted that hadith to ease my mind!!! I had forgotten the exact hadith until just now when I read your post but yes that is the one!!!!

I pray Allah will reward you for your help dear brother and I pray your fasting will be easy this Ramadan Ameen!

I LOVE TTI brothers and sisters! You guys are the BEST!

Wa salam

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatu

Sheikh Muhammad b. Salih al-`Othaymin

A fasting person does not invalidate his fast if he does something to break his fast either in ignorance or out of forgetfulness.

Allah says: “There is no blame on you for what you do by mistake, but only for what your hearts have deliberately resolved upon.” [Surah al-Ahzab: 5]

Also: “Our Lord! Do not take us to task if we forget or make a mistake.” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 286]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Allah has pardoned my people for what they do by mistake or out of forgetfulness and for what they are coerced into doing.” [Sunan Ibn Majah (2043) and authenticated by al-Albani in Sahih al-Jami` (1731)]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever forgets he is fasting and eats or drinks something should complete his fast, for it is merely that Allah has given him food and drink.” [Sahih al-Bukhari(1933) and Sahih Muslim (1155)]

Source: Majmu` Fatawa wa Rasa’il Fadîlah al-Shaykh Muhammad b. Salih al-`Othaymîn (19/24)

Isra

aka Tree2008

If it was unintentional, then the fast should be still valid. Thank you brother kashif for posting the relevant hadeeth above.

I have also emailed Sh Assim Al Hakeem with this question as well. I will post his response her InshaAllah as soon as I hear from him.

Wasalaamalaykum

Jazakallah khairan dear brother for your kindness I look forward to the response since you already emailed the Sheikh.

Brother kashif_nazeer has already posted the exact hadith I was looking for in this case. It is the same one I was given when I asked the question for myself 2 years ago!

Have a blessed Ramadan and I pray Allah will make your fasting easier brother Ameen

wa salam

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
JAZAKALLAH KHAIRAN Brother for that is the exact hadith I was looking for!!!!!!! Alhamdulillah!!!

You know I remembered it because when I first became a Muslim I was living alone in the USA so my very first Ramadan I did it all by myself and one morning I woke up, ate, prayed Fajr then went back to sleep and when I woke the second time I drank some water without even thinking about my fast!!!!! I posted about drinking the water on TTI because I was so sad thinking I had broken my fast! One of the wonderful brothers or sisters here at TTI posted that hadith to ease my mind!!! I had forgotten the exact hadith until just now when I read your post but yes that is the one!!!!

I pray Allah will reward you for your help dear brother and I pray your fasting will be easy this Ramadan Ameen!

I LOVE TTI brothers and sisters! You guys are the BEST!

Wa salam
Wa iyyaki sister .Ameen to your duas and you too.
May Allah guide us.Ameen.