Waldorf waiter says he had to 'switch name' from 'Mohamed'

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Hello, my name is, um, John? Hector? Or is it Edgar? And I’ll be your server tonight.

An Arab banquet waiter at the legendary Waldorf-Astoria hotel says he was forced to wear different name tags at work to prevent guests from being frightened by being served by someone named Mohamed.

Mohamed Kotbi said the first time he was asked to do so was on Sept. 13, 2001 — two days after the attacks on the Twin Towers.

Kotbi, who has worked for the hotel since December 1984, said he was given a name tag that said, “John.”

“I put it on. I was in shock,” the Muslim man said. When he later went to complain to hotel management, he said he was told, “We don’t want to scare our guests.”
Zandy Mangold
BUST-’ED’: Mohamed Kotbi says the Waldorf-Astoria forced him to wear fake names, like this one: “Edgar.”

He filed discrimination complaints with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in 2005 and 2009, and was eventually given a name tag with his last name, Kotbi.

This past November, however, he was given a name tag that said, “Edgar.” Kotbi said he complained and was told by a manager, “It’s better to be Edgar than Mohamed today.”

Now he is suing the Waldorf for religious and racial discrimination, charging that hotel management has created a “hostile work environment” with the nametag shenanigans and its failure to stop a group of co-workers from tormenting him.

The suit says co-workers have repeatedly called him “terrorist,” “al Qaeda boy,” and other names. “It’s like I’m guilty, like I did the attacks on September 11,” the Moroccan-born man said.

“They won’t do anything to stop this,” said Kotbi’s lawyer, Jonathan Bell of Bell & Kilada. He said the taunts weigh on Kotbi heavily, but he is “a family man” and “can’t afford to just up and leave.”

The hotel did not return calls for comment.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/the_game_of_name_mFyV0MF07t2g1nGF8H8R8O

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Such hate. I am an American and I am Muslim, and I do not need your approval.

As-salam 'alaikum

there is nothing nationalism in Islam
as there is no hanafee muslim, shafi' muslims,

there is no American Muslim, Bangladeshi Muslim and so on

and there is nothing to say with proud, that: "I'm an Bangladeshi Muslim or Arab Muslim...." ...(just for example)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auZXzeoIUkY

wa-llahu ta'la a'lam
wassalamu 'alaikum

DanyalSAC

As-salam 'alaikum

there is nothing nationalism in Islam
as there is no hanafee muslim, shafi' muslims,

there is no American Muslim, Bangladeshi Muslim and so on

and there is nothing to say with proud, that: "I'm an Bangladeshi Muslim or Arab Muslim...." ...(just for example)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auZXzeoIUkY

wa-llahu ta'la a'lam
wassalamu 'alaikum

Wa alaikum salaam

Be that as it may, I'm just tired of the finger pointing and the "See how bad AMERICANS are?" when I was born here, live here, and took shahadah here.

And by the way - that wasn't "pride", that was frustration at the Muslim hate that I have to keep getting subjected to. Other Americans hate me because of my religion. Other Muslims hate me because of the country I live in.

arzafar

Wa alaikum salaam

Be that as it may, I'm just tired of the finger pointing and the "See how bad AMERICANS are?" when I was born here, live here, and took shahadah here.

And by the way - that wasn't "pride", that was frustration at the Muslim hate that I have to keep getting subjected to. Other Americans hate me because of my religion. Other Muslims hate me because of the country I live in.

lols bro. that is tough indeed.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
@Danyalsac
it was not only directed to you

it was just piece of advice that we need to know and obey.

i dont hate you and i dont judge up on where one lives!
it really doesnt matter to me, as long as you are muslim, you are my brother.

my point was, if someone say, cheap Bangladeshi/America to anyone, It should not bother us, rather, if someone say our muslim brother something, we must condemn it!

Allah will not ask us why didn't you defend your country guy being defamed, but He will ask, why didn't you defenf your Muslim brother.

anyways, i hope you got my point

indeed Allah know the best
wassalmu 'alaikum

Aroosak

:salam2:

I think the brother in the article did the right thing by filing a complaint. If anyone goes to the same issue they should contact CAIR who monitor religious discrimination and help Muslims with Legal advisement. May Allah help this brother for speaking up!

Sadly nowadays there are Muslims who change their names to non-muslim names... I've seen Brothers named Mohammed who called themselves Moe, or named Jamal and call themselves Jimmy and so on. We have to learn to be proud of the blessing we have and of our own muslim identities and transmit this to our new generations... what's up with naming your kid britney? lol

Also is NEVER good to generalize... There are good and bad Americans, some who are Muslim like brother Danyal and some who aren't yet support Muslims. If we go around feeling targeted by everyone we will never get anywhere. How can we unite ourselves and be non-nationalist muslims if we often tend to label each other as Arab muslim or pakistani muslim or hanafi.... this just creates more separation and fitnah

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
@DanyaIsac.
I'm italian,muslim italian,and I'm proud to be muslimah,not italian.:ma:if I could change my name at the anagraphic office,I'd do it now.
Muslims are those who submit to Allah,wherever they come from:)