Weird nikaah

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
or mayb bride's mom herself doesnt know the reason of this practice :D. actually there is so much ignorance, we ourselves dont know why we are doing such acts.:)

You maybe right.

also u know, the bride wears red coloured clothes. i think ths too came frm hindu culture.

Alhamdulillah both were wearing white clothes...but I don't think colour got anything to do with hindu marriage.

revert2007

Love Fishing
assalaamu alyakkum,

it is true that "lots" of muslim living in subcontinent follow many innovation during marriage. :astag: but not all of them. may Allah forgive us all. there is no doubt that these practices have hindu roots.:astag::astag:

but masha Allah in the recent years many ppl r changing in the region. well i dont know about the north india but atleast it is evident in the southern region (tamil nadu) where i live.

as of speaking in tamil, i seriously think sister revert2007 is kidding, cos its none but Allah who created all languages so that people could communicate. and there is no harm in indian food as long as they are Halaal.. LOL.

may Allah forgive ur sins and mine. pls correct me if i am wrong.

salaam.

well we dont need to worry about those who are good but should worry about those who are deviating..of course not all into this problem yet there are..well the food n labguage is just an example and no harm though but watching too much of these tamil movies and acting out what they watched is the problem.......

even in malaysia indian muslims have their own mosque and the dont mix with malay muslims...this is how we muslims are deviating ourselves..just like in western countries where other arabs hv their own mosque and only people from that country will go to that particular mosque..we should be united and just follow the quran and sunnah..do what is written in sunnah and do not do what is not written in sunnah...

it is because outsiders cant deffeentiate between culture n islam so we must show the correct example...

i can go on listing out all the bidas and so on..but i shall just stop here coz i hv alot of stuffs to be taken care of :)

sister2

I have to say that I do not think there is anything wrong with cultural practices as long as they do not contravene islamic laws, are not considered obligatory and so on.

There is nothing unislamic about giving the wife gifts and nothing at all that dictates that the wife MUST live with the husband from the time of nikah. If both parties are happy with the arrangement then I dont see what is nothing unislamic about it? Many people have different ways we do things that are dictated by our culture and customs and as long as we recognise them as that and do not contravene any islamic laws in doing so, I fail to see what is wrong in that.

I agree that following practices which are contrary to Islam is one thing but whilst many seem to speculate about what some people MAY be believing about the necklace or the whatever practice it may be, the original post does not convince me that these particular people believed in whatever supersticious beliefs are claimed about the necklace. If that is the case then that should be addressed with the people concerned. As the issue regarding them believing in astrology should be (if the author is sure of it). I dont see how generalised statements 'condemning' all of a certain group is at all helpful or islamic.

In my opinion, the chain as an indication of woman being married is no different to a woman wearing a wedding ring. That too is imitating and unislamic culture. As is a white dress, a wedding reception itself (rather than walimah) etc etc

I agree with the person who wrote that we as muslims seem to seperate ourselves which is rather sad. It would be nice if we could accept each other as kin (as muslims), even if have different backgrounds,cultures and ways of doing things. I feel that generalised assumptions and judgements of others and how and why 'they' do things is not at all helpful in achieving that and I'm not sure how islamic that is either.

I do hope I haven't offended anyone and ask forgiveness if I have done so (it would be unintentionally) or if I have misunderstood anything/anyone.

revert2007

Love Fishing
I have to say that I do not think there is anything wrong with cultural practices as long as they do not contravene islamic laws, are not considered obligatory and so on.

There is nothing unislamic about giving the wife gifts and nothing at all that dictates that the wife MUST live with the husband from the time of nikah. If both parties are happy with the arrangement then I dont see what is nothing unislamic about it? Many people have different ways we do things that are dictated by our culture and customs and as long as we recognise them as that and do not contravene any islamic laws in doing so, I fail to see what is wrong in that.

I agree that following practices which are contrary to Islam is one thing but whilst many seem to speculate about what some people MAY be believing about the necklace or the whatever practice it may be, the original post does not convince me that these particular people believed in whatever supersticious beliefs are claimed about the necklace. If that is the case then that should be addressed with the people concerned. As the issue regarding them believing in astrology should be (if the author is sure of it). I dont see how generalised statements 'condemning' all of a certain group is at all helpful or islamic.

In my opinion, the chain as an indication of woman being married is no different to a woman wearing a wedding ring. That too is imitating and unislamic culture. As is a white dress, a wedding reception itself (rather than walimah) etc etc

I agree with the person who wrote that we as muslims seem to seperate ourselves which is rather sad. It would be nice if we could accept each other as kin (as muslims), even if have different backgrounds,cultures and ways of doing things. I feel that generalised assumptions and judgements of others and how and why 'they' do things is not at all helpful in achieving that and I'm not sure how islamic that is either.

I do hope I haven't offended anyone and ask forgiveness if I have done so (it would be unintentionally) or if I have misunderstood anything/anyone.

there is nothing wrong with practicing culture coz Allah said we were created in to tribes and so on...but u have to see carefully when they practice the culture..what do they really do?

1.music
2.dancing.
3.women wearing make up in front of non mahram
4.publicly exposing ur wife

p.s: i don't wear wedding ring by the way...it is safely kept in the cupboard lol...

so as far as am concern..i dont really follow the culture but what is prescribed in quran and hadith :)

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother

Firstly welcome to do forum sister.

I agree that we can not generalise all Indian Muslim, I highlighted that in my posting hope you did not missed reading that part. They are many other things if I bring forward you will realise that there are some elements of bid'ah committed in this nikaah, I don't want to say anything further to avoid creating another debate. All I want to say, "there are blacksheep in every community". I will certainly skip the walimah two weeks later as the invitation card stated there will be another cross cultural practices on bride and the groom which our ulama confirmed this cultural practice originated from hinduism.

Let's close this discussion.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them” (narrated by Ahmad, 2/50; Abu Dawood, 4/314). And he said, “Be different from the mushrikeen” (narrated by Muslim, 1/222, no. 259) – especially with regard to things that are the symbols or rituals of their religion.

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
:salam2: Brothers and Sisters,

I'm from India, and sadly vast majority of Muslims here are ignorant about Shirk.

I live in India, and there is tree near my house that is worshipped by people who call themselves Muslims...also you can easily find Muslim Women wearing Burqa around temples to excorcise their kids!

Not to speak of Grave worship , Bidah and other cultural practices.

Unfortunately, the Muslims who know what is correct Aqeedah and are away from bidah donot have very good character.

How will these ignorant people accept if people try to correct them with bad manners and character?

Ofcourse, I'm not accusing all of them.

May Allah correct our Aqeedah and manners.

:wasalam: