What is the deal between Uighur and Han Muslims?

BigAk

:salam2:

I have been reading about the fighting for the past few weeks but I have yet to understand what the conflict is all about. Would someone please enlighten me with the details?

It is very saddening to me to see two Muslim groups killing each other as apposed to uniting together against the outside threat. The entire world is pointing their fingers at us and saying "Muslims around the world kill each other." It is so easy to see the wrong in this. Why can't the Muslim ummah sees this??

kayleigh

This might be wrong because I don't know about the conflict specifically, but I know that in China, there are many different ethnic groups and Han is the majority. They often see themselves as better than the others and oppress other ethnic groups (not saying all Hans do this).

zainali

i got this information , i know its not completely true but its just to get an idea of what exactly has happened .

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- Police shot and killed two ethnic Uyghurs and wounded another in a Chinese region that has seen violent ethnic strife in recent weeks, state media reported Monday.

Police patrol Urumqi, China, on Saturday, July 11.

The police were trying to stop the three people from attacking a fourth person with clubs and knives in Urumqi, Xinjiang, China Radio International reported, citing the local government.

All four people involved in the incident were ethnic Uyghurs, a minority Muslim group distinct from China's majority Han population, CRI said.

At least 184 people were killed in demonstrations in the region eight days ago, and more than 1,600 injured, according to government figures.

Chinese President Hu Jintao cut short a trip to the Group of Eight summit in Italy last week in the face of the violence in his country.

Heavily armed troops remained on the streets of Urumqi over the weekend, and curfews were in effect.

On Saturday, the Chinese state news agency Xinhua reported that Urumqi has banned public assembly without police approval.

"Assemblies, marches and demonstrations on public roads and at public places in the open air are not allowed without the permission by police," read a notice by the Public Security Bureau of Urumqi, Xinhua said.

The Urumqi security measures on public assembly came on the eve of a sensitive day of mourning, media reported. It is traditional for ethnic Han to mourn their loss on the seventh day after a death, the South China Morning Post reported.

The violence is a result of ethnic tensions between the Uyghurs, who are predominantly Muslim, and members of China's Han majority.

Hundreds of Han Chinese were on Urumqi streets on Monday, holding sticks and pipes, and calling for punishment of the Uyghurs, who they say committed serious crimes.

The Uyghurs say they have been victimized and many of those killed in the violence were Uyghurs. Uyghur religious leaders have condemned the violence, saying it is against the spirit of the Muslim faith and Uyghur tradition.

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

We are mixing up two totally different things. Han is an ehtnicity in China, they are actually the ethnic majority (approx 90% of the Chinese population). The rest of the population falls into other ethnic classifications due to tribal customs, language, and they do not have to follow the "one child law." As in most countries the ethnic minorities are often under represented and often marginalized.

A lot of the Han are atheists (this is a requirement to join the Communist party when you take the allegiance oath) or follow ancestor worship. The minorities on the other hand are a mix of Christian, Muslim, and Bhuddists, there are other religions as well.

So we are talking about two different things...ethnicity and religion. :)

Wasalaam

massi

China's restive Uighurs

By Joe Havely

2009767245215734_8.jpg
Most Uighurs identify themselves as culturally closer to the nations of Central Asia [GALLO/GETTY]
Although Xinjiang is officially a semi-autonomous region within China, worries over simmering separatist tensions means that Beijing keeps tight control on the region and its native ethnic Uighur population. Who are the Uighurs?
The Uighur ethnic group are ethnically and culturally a Turkic people who follow Islamic traditions and are based in China's western region of Xinjiang.
There are thought to be about eight million Uighurs in Xinjiang out of a total regional population of about 20 million.
Uighur communities have traditionally been built around agriculture and trade.
For centuries Uighur trading towns such as Kashgar, close to the border with Afghanistan and Pakistan, were important staging posts on the Silk Road trade route linking Europe and China.
What is the history of Uighur separatism?
Although Xinjiang has a long history of Chinese rule, Uighurs have traditionally viewed themselves as having closer cultural and religious ties with the states of Central Asia.
In the early part of the twentieth century Uighurs briefly declared present-day Xinjiang an independent state, known as East Turkestan.

2009766464752580_3.jpg
Uighur communities have survived traditionally on agriculture and trade [GALLO/GETTY] But the region was brought under complete control by Beijing after the communist takeover in 1949. In recent years Uighur groups have been waging a largely low-level separatist campaign, with sporadic bombings and attacks on Chinese businesses and symbols of Chinese rule.
Since the 9/11 attacks in the US however, China has increasingly portrayed Uighur separatists as terrorists and says the groups have links to al-Qaeda, although it has produced little evidence to back up those claims.
Human-rights groups say hundreds of Uighurs have been harassed or detained by Chinese authorities after being accused of involvement in terrorism.
Why are the Uighurs opposed to Chinese rule?

2009766481880621_8.jpg
Uighurs say China represses Uighur identity in favour of the Han majority [GALLO/GETTY] Many Uighurs resent what they see as China's repression of Uighur culture and identity, as well as policies they say favour Han Chinese, the dominant ethnic group in China. Mosques are routinely banned from broadcasting the traditional call to prayer and communist party officials keep tight restrictions on the appointment and activities of imams, or Muslim priests.
It is also illegal for Muslims to organise their own independent pilgrimage to Mecca beyond the official, state-sanctioned trips.
Uighur groups say Beijing's policy of encouraging ethnic Han Chinese migration to Xinjiang is aimed at diluting Uighur culture and marginalising Uighurs economically.
However, not all Uighurs are entirely opposed to Chinese rule, with several senior Uighurs holding posts in the regional government and communist party, including the Xinjiang chairman, Nur Baekeli.
Why is Xinjiang so important to China?
Xinjiang, an arid and mountainous region, covers a vast expanse of western China, equivalent to about one sixth of the country's total landmass or an area about three times the size of France.
Although sparsely populated it has abundant mineral and oil reserves and is China's largest natural gas producing region.
It also has large reserves of another commodity - space - that is in short supply in China's overpopulated east.
In the 1960s and '70s, Xinjiang was the location for a series of nuclear tests as past of China's atomic weapons programme.
In addition, Xinjiang is strategically located at the borders of Russia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India.

Source: Al Jazeera​

BigAk

Thank you brother massi for enlightening me with your post.. Now I understand the situation better. I ask Allah ta'ala to aid our Uighur brother and sisters, ease their suffering, and grant them victory.. Ameen.