What is your identity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakorot

:salam2:

For the Muslims who live in the West, do you have an identity crisis?

Do you consider yourselves as British or American Muslims?

Is it wrong to be a British or American Muslim or are you just Muslim full stop?

Do you think it is right to call for Shari'ah in the West, when the Muslim countries barely implement it themselves??

And do you think it is Shirk to vote for non-Muslim gov?

P.S This includes everyone who is living in non-Muslim lands.

Hopefully this should be an interesting discussion.

:wasalam:

JenGiove

Is it wrong to be a British or American Muslim or are you just Muslim full stop?

Do you think it is right to call for Shari'ah in the West, when the Muslim countries barely implement it themselves??

Hopefully this should be an interesting discussion.

P.S This includes Canadians and Europeans.

:wasalam:

:salam2: Channa,

I wish you well and good health. I just wanted to let you know that it is not a requirement to vote <here in America>.....so if it IS rules "shirk" to vote in a non-Muslim country, then that can easily be avoided.

Kakorot

:salam2: Channa,

I wish you well and good health. I just wanted to let you know that it is not a requirement to vote <here in America>.....so if it IS rules "shirk" to vote in a non-Muslim country, then that can easily be avoided.

:wasalam: sister Jen.

It is not compulsory to vote in UK either. There is differences of opinions regrading voting, where some say it is Shirk to vote for non-Muslim governments and some say that we are living in non-Muslim land, we CHOOSE to live here, so we should contribute and vote.

Ibn Uthaymin

Walukum assalam

1. Im British just by paper though. Im a brown man.

2. I think Shariah should be all over the world. But if its not in Muslim country then it would be pretty stupid to call it in non muslim country.

3. Im not to keen on voting, i agree with Shaykh Yahya Al hajooree. But i dont consider the brothers who do as polytheists or apostates. hell no!

- son of Adam :)

JenGiove

:wasalam: sister Jen.

It is not compulsory to vote in UK either. There is differences of opinions regrading voting, where some say it is Shirk to vote for non-Muslim governments and some say that we are living in non-Muslim land, we CHOOSE to live here, so we should contribute and vote.

There are so many ways in which to contribute that are Halaal that voting is unnecessary. The Puritans first came to this land for one reason, for the ability to practice their religious beliefs as they pleased. I guess that's why "Freedom Of Religion" is the first "right" listed on the "Bill Of Rights".....

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Assalam alaikum,

Interesting thread! :)

I don't consider myself a British, nor an American Muslim in anyway! Lol. I'm a Muslim, that's one part of me. I also feel like a Kiwi (not the fruit) and a Bangladeshi, due a lot to the lifestyle I've experienced within the boundaries of my home.

I don't think it's wrong to vote in a non-Muslim country. Say you have one political party that's pro-war against Iraq, and one that is anti-war in Iraq. During the 2002* elections, it was recommended after one of the Jummah prayers at the mosque that those against NZ's participation in the Iraq war should vote for the Labour party. Most Muslims in NZ that voted, voted for the Labour party. The Labour party won. End result? NZ stayed out of Iraq and even sacrificed a lot of business relationships with the USA as a result.

Also, NZ was voted as being in the top 3 least corrupt countries in the world by Transparency International in 2010 (this year). The people get what they vote for.
Assalam alaikum.

Ibn Uthaymin

Assalam alaikum,

Interesting thread! :)

I don't consider myself a British, nor an American Muslim in anyway! Lol. I'm a Muslim, that's one part of me. I also feel like a Kiwi (not the fruit) and a Bangladeshi, due a lot to the lifestyle I've experienced within the boundaries of my home.

I don't think it's wrong to vote in a non-Muslim country. Say you have one political party that's pro-war against Iraq, and one that is anti-war in Iraq. During the 2003 elections, it was recommended after one of the Jummah prayers at the mosque that those against NZ's participation in the Iraq war should vote for the Labour party. Most Muslims in NZ that voted, voted for the Labour party. The Labour party won. End result? NZ stayed out of Iraq and even sacrificed a lot of business relationships with the USA as a result.

Also, NZ was voted as being in the top 3 least corrupt countries in the world by Transparency International in 2010 (this year). The people get what they vote for.
Assalam alaikum.

Lol - something positive came out of this. I was always a skeptic.

JenGiove

Walukum assalam

1. Im British just by paper though. Im a brown man.

2. I think Shariah should be all over the world. But if its not in Muslim country then it would be pretty stupid to call it in non muslim country.

3. Im not to keen on voting, i agree with Shaykh Yahya Al hajooree. But i dont consider the brothers who do as polytheists or apostates. hell no!

- son of Adam :)

I think we could have expressed ourselves in a little more dignified way, don't you think? Would it have been accepted if I spoke in such a manner? I think not.

Ibn Uthaymin

I think we could have expressed ourselves in a little more dignified way, don't you think? Would it have been accepted if I spoke in such a manner? I think not.

Im just being myself. Where i was born people spoke (and still do) like that. Its part of me now.
I cant apologize for that sis

JenGiove

Im just being myself. Where i was born people spoke (and still do) like that. Its part of me now.
I cant apologize for that sis

:salam2: If I were myself, I would have been banned from here long ago. We can allllll change, especially for the better. Isn't that what the Prophet told us?

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

:wasalam: sister Chana,

Thanks for the link. :)

But I don't think this thread is meant for me to respond. I am from India, but I will have a go.

No. There are over 1 billion of us all over. This is not applicable to us. lol

I think this is a strange question as it is only posed to muslims living in US and UK. But yea, if you are from the UK and the US, you can certainly be both. The same way I am Indian and a muslim. I don't have to deny being an Indian if the majority of the people act unIslamic or if the government is anti-muslim.

Reminds me of a beautiful Farsi saying. I will paste it here later sometime.

Edit : Har Mulk, Mulke Maast, Mulke Khudaya Maast

If the muslims can get the authorities in non muslim lands, to let the muslims have shariah courts then it's good. But I think it doesn't serve any purpose to want the entire UK/American court system to follow shariah law.

At the end of the day, when you choose to live on non muslim lands, you will experience it's effects such as being governed by unIslamic laws. So if you really want to live in a 100% Islamic environment, move to a muslim country. :)

Fiqh question. As layman, we are not supposed to come up with rulings on this from ourselves. If we know the fatwa of the learned scholars, we should post it here. But we should refrain from posting "I think/ We think" , when such a question should be answered by the Ulema, not us.

P.S This includes everyone who is living in non-Muslim lands.

Oh ok. Got it !

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I love a hot dog with chilli and onions and mustard with an ice-cold pepsi and a bag of chips..does this make me un-Muslim. I do not think so.

Do I like politics..you bettcha I do. Do I vote..when the mood strikes me.
Does this make me a poor Muslim..no. I try to work for the greatest good for all peoples.

One way to ensure you get what you want is to hire a lawyer. It takes money..but they twist anything around. Both good and bad.

Is living in a Muslim land superior to living in a non-Muslim land. That makes little sense. We may miss the all Muslim environment..but we hold dear to our faith.

Time to eat another hot dog.

JenGiove

Assalaam walaikum,

I love a hot dog with chilli and onions and mustard with an ice-cold pepsi and a bag of chips..does this make me un-Muslim. I do not think so.

Do I like politics..you bettcha I do. Do I vote..when the mood strikes me.
Does this make me a poor Muslim..no. I try to work for the greatest good for all peoples.

One way to ensure you get what you want is to hire a lawyer. It takes money..but they twist anything around. Both good and bad.

Is living in a Muslim land superior to living in a non-Muslim land. That makes little sense. We may miss the all Muslim environment..but we hold dear to our faith.

Time to eat another hot dog.

ROTFL! What brand?

JenGiove

Assalaam walaikum,

Big fat Hebrew Nationals

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only you!...well, me too but my choice would be "Nathan's"...gotta support the family name ya know! lol!

*actually, I'm not related to that line of Nathan's....HA! Wish I was, but my maiden name WAS Nathan*

Ibn Uthaymin

:salam2: If I were myself, I would have been banned from here long ago. We can allllll change, especially for the better. Isn't that what the Prophet told us?

Its not un-Islamic, so i dont think i need to change here.

And about being yourself, i think its really important you be yourself. Why should you change just for the pleasure of people?

Fiqh question. As layman, we are not supposed to come up with rulings on this from ourselves. If we know the fatwa of the learned scholars, we should post it here. But we should refrain from posting "I think/ We think" , when such a question should be answered by the Ulema, not us.

Its intense debate here bro. Some scholars like Shyakh Yahya Al Hajooree said it was Shirk and not permissible.

Others like Shaykh Muhammed Mukhtaar Ash Shanqiti, Yusuf Qardawi said it was allowed.

And many of the students of knowledge and scholars in UK said people should vote too.

Almaas

Wa'alaykumasalaam. Very interesting questions.

Well, first and foremost I'm a Muslim, it comes before anything. However, in all honesty, I do consider myself somewhat British. I was born and bred here, and it has influenced the person I am.

I do think it's important to vote since we live here and are part of the society, so it's necessary we get involved, because whatever the government does affects us too. Besides, I've never read much on why it is considered shirk.

And yes, I do think it's wrong to call for Shari3a law in West, you can't expect non-Muslims to follow Muslim rules, in a non-Muslim country.

Kakorot

:wasalam: sister Chana,

Thanks for the link. :)

But I don't think this thread is meant for me to respond. I am from India, but I will have a go.

No. There are over 1 billion of us all over. This is not applicable to us. lol

I think this is a strange question as it is only posed to muslims living in US and UK. But yea, if you are from the UK and the US, you can certainly be both. The same way I am Indian and a muslim. I don't have to deny being an Indian if the majority of the people act unIslamic or if the government is anti-muslim.

Reminds me of a beautiful Farsi saying. I will paste it here later sometime.

If the muslims can get the authorities in non muslim lands, to let the muslims have shariah courts then it's good. But I think it doesn't serve any purpose to want the entire UK/American court system to follow shariah law.

At the end of the day, when you choose to live on non muslim lands, you will experience it's effects such as being governed by unIslamic laws. So if you really want to live in a 100% Islamic environment, move to a muslim country. :)

Oh ok. Got it !

Some good points there. JazakAllaahu khayran. Btw I thought Texas was in USA not India, that's why I shared the link.

Kakorot

Wa'alaykumasalaam. Very interesting questions.

Well, first and foremost I'm a Muslim, it comes before anything. However, in all honesty, I do consider myself somewhat British. I was born and bred here, and it has influenced the person I am.

I do think it's important to vote since we live here and are part of the society, so it's necessary we get involved, because whatever the government does affects us too. Besides, I've never read much on why it is considered shirk.

And yes, I do think it's wrong to call for Shari3a law in West, you can't expect non-Muslims to follow Muslim rules, in a non-Muslim country.

Exactly my views. Jazakillaahu khayran for sharing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.