What should I do?

JenGiove

Definition of meat

Salaam,

A Muslim does not have to be a vegatarian. Chicken has never been a meat nor will it be a meat. Unless the definition changed this minute.

At 14 children need to learn to please their parents; they have no clue of what parents go through.

As I tell mine...if it ain't good enough for you to eat what I am able to put on the table..there is the door and it is a one way exit. I do not have time; I am trying to survive.

In Rome we learn what you put your parents through comes back to haunt you in the form of your children..and they will humble you.

I do not like this thought pattern. It breeds a proudness that is not in the liking to Islam. We are never to encourage children to disrespect the parent. We do not know what circumstances the parents are enduring.

When you are no longer a minor and able to make changes do so.

Sis Jen... I did like Rome..more than Paris or London..but I love LA. I am finally a LA gal!!!! And we rock fashion and style!!!!

:salam2: Sister Aapa,

Sorry sista'....
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/meat?show=0&t=1289589123
meat

noun \ˈmēt\
Definition of MEAT

a : food; especially : solid food as distinguished from drink b : the edible part of something as distinguished from its covering (as a husk or shell)

: animal tissue considered especially as food:

As for Rome, Well, I'm not surprised that you're a fashionista now....Rome was the highlight of fashion....I mean, as a teen in those days, you must have been in your glory! lol!

I think we can ALL say that we are not trying to advocate disrespect to parents. Heck! THAT in itself is Haram... and yes, the "mother's curse" seems to regenerate itself..."I hope you have a kid juuuust liiiike yooooou"....:lol:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assaaam walaikum,

In the Quran there are specifics mentioned for the slaughter of meat. There is a distinction about poultry. The definiton of meat changes with each dictionary. The Jewish and Catholic definitions change, too. In simple language chicken is white meat and not red meat. When we discuss halal food we are limiting meat to mean red meat.

Furthermore, if a person is unable to find halal meat..there is no sin upon them.

This is dangerous. Why are we wishing hardship on our parents. But this thread is about respecting parents.

Many of the butchers who are dealers in halal products are also guilty of raising prices do we really need to go down that road?

ShyHijabi

:salam2:

Wait, I am confused. I have never heard or read that chicken does not have to be slaughtered in the zibiyah manner. Quite the opposite actually. If someone can provide daleel that chicken must not be slaughtered zibiyah, please post it.

I spent two years on an island with no halaal meat (no zebiyah chicken or beef) and therefore simply was a vegetarian. It's not like it is an extreme hardship, there are plenty of substitutes.

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Assalam alaikum.

Don't run away from home. I don't know which one of your friends gave you that idea, but you should stop hanging out with them. It's a terrible idea. Where are you going to go when you run? How will it make your parents feel? And imagine what the news might say if they catch wind of a Muslim child running away like this, it won't be good.

With the chicken, try your best to not eat it. Make a point, and tell your parents that you want the meat to be halal. InshAllah you will eventually convince them. It may take months, but they won't want you to go hungry. Perhaps you can find out where the nearest halal butcheries are to your house and recommend them to your parents.

Assalam alaikum.

EDIT: If you think that they won't be buying halal meat or halal chicken any time soon, then just tell them you really like seafood. Salmon and prawns taste really good. They can't go wrong with seafood - it's halal :)

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Salam2You brothers, sisters..

I was talking to a friend about my mum and dad feeding my haram chicken (chicken not sacrificed in the name of Allah) and she came out with a question which was truly a good one, but makes me hesitate.

"You would sacrifice your life or family for Allah won't you? Then run away".

Ofcourse I would. But I don't want to run away!

Please someone tell me I'm okay with not running away. I love my family so much, though I love Allah more! But I can't run away I mean if they were going to kill me for being a Muslim I would run away, but for haram chicken this doesn't make sense to me. Please someone assure me about this concern.

Thank you all.

:wasalam:

Salam alaikum warahamtu-llah

come on, you don't have to run away, just dont have chicken, it is so simple.
just have vegetables or others, that will be great. it is not mandatory to have chicken/meat in Islam.
rather you go with other foods, or you may cook zabiha chicken yourself.

isn't it easy one? I hope, inshaa Allah
and try to make understand them may Allah subhanahu wa ta'la show them the way. but you don't have to run away

if someone or you have something dispute, please see this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f69GD27wDw
also part 2

wa-llahu ta'la alim
it is better to be in the safe place
if someone has more Taqwa, he/she should keep away from that disputation.

inshaa Allah this will help you and all
but you really don't have to run away.

if you are a sister, make dua so that you can marry soon to a good Muslim brother, and if you are a brother, may Allah help you to get out, really it depends on the age, Im saying without knowing that.
anyways
JazakAllah khair
wassalam

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah
Salam oh my brothers and sisters!

Thank you so much for your contributions, these replies have made me think alot, but can I just say, I can't just go to my parents and say I'm a vegetarian, or I want halal chicken, I don't like getting on the wrong side of them it hurts me too much...

By the way, I've been seeing the discussion about red meat and white meat? I have NO idea about that.. So is chicken already halal or something?

"[005:003] Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than God; that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death; that which hath been (partly) eaten by a wild animal; unless ye are able to slaughter it (in due form); that which is sacrificed on stone (altars); (forbidden) also is the division (of meat) by raffling with arrows: that is impiety. This day have those who reject faith given up all hope of your religion: yet fear them not but fear Me. This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. But if any is forced by hunger, with no inclination to transgression, God is indeed Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

But the bold writing doesn't say or not in the name of God?

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Assaaam walaikum,

Furthermore, if a person is unable to find halal meat..there is no sin upon them.

This is dangerous. Why are we wishing hardship on our parents. But this thread is about respecting parents.

Are you implying that if someone's parent can't afford or access halaal meat, there is no sin on them to consume non halaal meat ?

This has no daleel (evidence) from Quran and Sunnah. We should not sympathize with parents or any individual to the point that we go against the halaal and haraam as legislated by Allah Jalaa wa Ala'.

It is better if we keep quiet or ask people of knowledge, rather than passing incorrect jurisprudential rulings on our own.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
By the way, I've been seeing the discussion about red meat and white meat? I have NO idea about that.. So is chicken already halal or something?

No, there is no distinction of such sort. Both have to be slaughtered, else they are considered 'maytah', which is prohibited for us to eat. The knowledge of halaal and haraam should come from our scholars and not speculations or 'opinions' of people on a webforum.

Please read below :-

If you do go there, it is not permissible for you to eat meat that is not slaughtered in accordance with Islamic sharee’ah. The fact that there is no halaal meat is not an excuse for you, because you can eat fish and seafood, or you can eat things other than meat, such as canned goods and vegetables, or you can look seriously for an Islamic centre that provides halaal meat to the Muslims.

Link http://islamqa.com/en/ref/82444/halaal meat

Also please read the following Ayah, makes matters much clearer.

“Eat not (O believers) of that (meat) on which Allâh’s Name has not been pronounced (at the time of the slaughtering of the animal), for sure it is Fisq (a sin and disobedience of Allâh)”

[al-A’naam 6:121]

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Wait, I am confused. I have never heard or read that chicken does not have to be slaughtered in the zibiyah manner. Quite the opposite actually. If someone can provide daleel that chicken must not be slaughtered zibiyah, please post it.

I spent two years on an island with no halaal meat (no zebiyah chicken or beef) and therefore simply was a vegetarian. It's not like it is an extreme hardship, there are plenty of substitutes.

:wasalam: respected sister,

what you have stated is correct. There is no evidence stating the contradictory. We should strive to learn the deen from the learned scholars. As posted above, in case of unavailability of halaal meat, one should eat wide variety of other nutritional food provided by Allah azz zawajal.

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah
Salam brother,

I understand now.. But it's a bit hard for me to shrug this problem off, be it a minor or major sin, I need to respect my mum and dad, and I can't run away or disrespect them in any way and I don't want to.
My dad doesn't take no for an answer, he's very strict and I respect him a lot. I still don't know what to do, I barely have a choice.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

This thread is so so shocking to me. Respected Aapa, please, I mean no disrespect, but chicken is a meat, and will always be a meat - is not a chicken a living bird? Or is it considered as a plant or fruit or legume these days? The Quran makes no distinction between poultry - it clearly states that meat must be slaughtered with the name of Allah. Is a chicken not slaughtered? Thus, it falls under meat.

Secondly, if a parent puts pork on the table, the child is expected to eat it happily and gratefully? No. A sin is a sin, and nothing -not poverty, nothing, will make it halaal. Allah has stated that follow whatever the parents say, and respect them, but not in matters that disobey Allah.

To the original poster, I would advise to make dua a lot - and try and tell your parents straightforwardly that Islam forbids eating chicken or any meat that is not zabiha. Tell them the truth - don't use hidden ways like trying to run away, or waiting for them to leave the table so you can throw the food away. No, come up straight and say the truth, and then henceforth, just don't eat chicken. When they serve the non halal chicken, make yourself a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, anything else, and with time, when you stay steadfast, your parents will see and maybe serve other substitutes at the table. InshaAllah, I pray Allah makes it easy for you. Just hang in there.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

I was shocked at some of the replies. Anyways, Brother BrotherinIslam7 did a good job. Yes Islam is easy and the easiest would be to turn vegetarian for the time being. And this is a test for you, be patient and ask Allah to Help and Guide. As those who Allah Guide, is indeed guided. Be patient and be one of the righteous.